Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

Hmm, my summer go-tos:

light and bright

Akuma

Kumiho

Night-Gaunt

Water Dragon

Aizen-Myoo

more heady/sultry

Cottonmouth

Green Tree Viper

Blossoms in Springtime

Dragon's Musk

Kabuki

cooling/quiet

any of the Lick Its (but especially Lick It, Again)

Squirting Cucumber

Host of the Air

The Deep Ones

The Unicorn(but more for early summer, before it is truly roasting)

Another thing I like in summer are the minty things, A Torrent of Light, Lick It, Mad Hatter (okay it feels minty to me)

Josie smells like summer to me. Like summer in heaven.

I look forward to wearing my citrus, fizzy, and boozy scents in the summer. In particular I wear:

Baobhan Sith

Kumiho

Lightning

Embalming Fluid

RPG: Gnome

Polynesian Pop

Mary Read

Geisha in Orange Kimono Admiring a Samurai

And then I recently bought for summer:

Green Tree Viper

The Sound of Insects

Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat, Detestable Putrescence (ice cream!), and SB4 which smells exactly like a glass of limoncello and lemonade over ice.

Gnome and Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat for the fizzy pop vibe, Cloister Graveyard In The Snow for cooling me down, Kumiho and Cairo just because, and I'm hoping Sound Of Insects will be perfect then too.

Last summer I mostly wore:

Swank

The Hamptons

Twenty One

Strawberry Moon 2012

Rocking-Horse-Fly

White Rabbit

But I've acquired a ton more perfume since then, so I'm excited to find new summer faves!

I'll probably be wearing Boober a lot this summer, since it's so fresh and clean. Maybe Last Evening of the Year will get a lot of use, too, since it's clean and chilly.

Kumiho was my go-to scent last summer, with a little bit of Lampades, but I was so new to the forums I can excuse my ignorance.

I think this summer the list is: kumiho, a sudden invitation (oh my good it smells like jasmine bubble tea), dog days of summer, golden wave, zombi, and the rose.

I love tea scents to off-set the heat, and light flowers. Moss is also great for summer evenings.

I'm all for basking in the heat with a sticky red musk blend... there's really no battling the heat in Georgia. :lol:

My summer go-to's are usually; water phoniex, fire phoneix and pirate moon. I also cling to my imp of rlyeh. I just bought a full bottle of rlyeh, pele, and black pearl to add to my summer rotation...and im looking around for tiki princess.

Edited by RottenLullaby

Kumiho is my go-to for 'refreshing' summer scents, while warm musks just feel fitting, but I'll take anything that isn't too spicy. I've learned my lesson, Plunder is nauseating on a hot day, to me.

I don't do florals, but since I love me some swamp, I bought an imp of Bayou thinking I could use it in an oil warmer. (I never did set up that oil warmer...) I imagine myself just melting into nature if I wore that for a walk in the summer.

snow, glass, apples (although it's already been mentioned) is a fantastic "cold" scent on a hot day.

nocnitsa is nice and chilly,

green tree viper is fantastic...the mint is a nice cool counterpoint to the snake oil.

i think gonna give a sudden invitation considerable rotation this summer as well.

neat thread! :) i'm inspired to try embalming fluid!

Edited by joyfulgirl

My summer picks:

1.) snow white

2.) Elegba

3.) Colder & Colder

4.) Archangel Winter

5.) Ambergris SN (layered, with pretty much anything.)

6.) Golden rod crab spider

7.) King Mandarin SN layered with any of the above

8.) Serotine Bat

9.) Black Opal

10.)The perilous parlor

I look forward to wearing my citrus, fizzy, and boozy scents in the summer. In particular I wear:

Baobhan Sith

Kumiho

Lightning

Embalming Fluid

RPG: Gnome

Polynesian Pop

Mary Read

Geisha in Orange Kimono Admiring a Samurai

And then I recently bought for summer:

Green Tree Viper

The Sound of Insects

My new favorite scent for summer has become Humpback Whale. I bought the Ambergris SN without expecting to become addicted to it, and Humpback Whale is that beautiful ambergris + refreshing peppermint + a hint of what I believe is the sea buckthorn berry. It is glorious and I find myself slathering it on on a hot day.

I also recently did a retest of Emblaming Fluid and it just doesn't work for me it seems :( darn that white musk is making it go blehh on me.

Edited by captnklaus

I'll still wear the warm, spicy, musky, and foody scents that I love at any time of year, but I tend to wear scents like Entangled, Mania, and Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat almost exclusively from early spring through late fall. Where I live it gets pretty humid and warm-to-hot for most of the year anyway, compared to a lot of other places. If I avoided my sultry scents during the warm weather, then I'd wear them too infrequently for my liking. One of these days soon I'm going to give Lick It Softly a try, because I haven't worn it at all since Christmastime.

Edited by boomtownrat

I think White Rabbit is a great summer scent. The light ginger and crisp linen goes really well with the warm weather.

I also like Lolita, with her candy lemony goodness.

Revisiting my collection and looking for what seems to be the likely contenders this year.

I tend not to go for "cooling" smells too much (like aquatics, snow/ice, or mint) but what I do look for is something that smells very clean and fresh, like I've just taken a shower. Boober is great for that, and grassy things like Amsterdam, The Doormouse, Rosalind. I also like citrus-herb combinations like Arcana or Happy Baby in a Long Dress for hot days. Even Manhattan, with the lemon, mint, and orchid, feels right in the summer. The one "cooling" scent I go for when it's hot is Absinthe & Lace.

Then there are the times I want to feel decadently hot and sweaty and sticky, just revel in the sultriness of the summer heat. For that I love Depraved, that sticky sweet apricot with the earthy patchouli just screams "hot outdoor summer sexy" and Pussy with all that honey and tobacco makes me feel like I'm part of the outdoors.

Lady Una sort of bridges the gap for me -- the honey connotes warmth, but the muskiness and the tea make it fresh. Blossoms in Springtime is like that too. I'd consider wearing those in polite company in the summer, while Depraved is something I'd only wear to go out with my husband on a summer night.

I was wearing Banshee Beat yesterday in our 90+ Georgia heat, and it was wonderful -- the perfect combination of sweet from the vanilla and cooling from the patchouli. I'm still getting whiffs of it a full 36 hours after application, and it still smells refreshing. This is going to be heavily used this summer!

It has been a heat wave here in NYC all this week, really disgusting, plus working outside, blergh.

I have been wearing the living daylights out of

1. Whirling Wind Moon/Onduris/Cloth of Gold anything with the snow/pine combo or just snow are winning lately. That fresh smell brings me out of my heat coma

2. Cloister Graveyard in the Snow/ Lick it Discreetly (usally with Gelt) Mint minty mint.

I just tried Stentor, from the Songs of Nature and it is outstanding, it has that skin cooling mint that is so amazing. Love it. Just ordered a big bottle, and I know this one is getting backups. I also ordered Desdemona, as my DH says it smelled like summer.

I sure hope Beth does another snowy minty thing like Cloister Graveyard, wow that is amazing stuff.

Edited by stellamaris

As I live in Miami, I wear Summer scents year round :lol: But when it really gets hot outside I find myself reaching for the following:

Blue Snowballs - technically a BPTP, not a BPAL. Fizzy, lime, snow with a tiny hint of blueberry. So refreshing and plus I get a giggle every time I apply "Blue Balls"

Strawberry Moon 2012 - yes, Yes, YES

Monster Bait: Tokyo Stomp - because who doesn't want to smell like a Thin Mint cookie?

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat - like a lemon sorbet

Delirium - apples, roses, and citrus will save your sanity in the heat

Bon Vivant - like strawberries and Ginger Ale, complete with bubbly goodness

My summer choice number 1 is June Gloom. It's soft, summery and calm. In the heat it becomes even rounder and more wonderful.

Other scents I wear are: Fairy Wine, Morpho,Blue Moon 2007, Kumiho, Wild Dandelion, The School-House, Blood Countess...