Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

I went through my BPAL list to find things that are CG/ CD. I have two types of Summer scents- those that go great with hot, sticky skin and those that make me feel cooler:

Hot & Sticky: Anne Bonny, Bayou, Boomslang, Brown Jenkins, Death Adder, Grog, Hellcat, Jazz Funeral, Kill-Devil, Mme. Moriarty, Obatala, Plunder, Port Royal, Jolly Roger, Ravenous, Scherezade, Shango, Snake Oil, Swank (hmmm, I see a theme with the pirate scents)

Cooler: Aizen-Myoo, Black Peral, Dana O'Shee, Faith & Hope (love 'em layered), Lenan Sidhe, Mouse's Long and Sad Tale, The Coil, Tweedledum, Violet Ray, Xanthe.

For summer and hot weather, i tend to like santo domingo, regan, whooperwill, bakeneko, arkham revisited, envy.......i agree with the person who said Josie would be good for summer...i totally agree...i think i tend to either like the sharper gingery bits, or the floral but sweet/fresh smelling (which to me can include lavendar, mint, fougeres, white flowers/night blooming flowers, powdery ambery things, etc.).....tamora is another good one, and i do miss severin...so nice for summer weather (course i'm in LA sans humidity, so....)

I would like recommendations for something summery but bug resistant...

Any suggestions? OR at least something that won't attract too many bugs.....

I would like recommendations for something summery but bug resistant...

Any suggestions? OR at least something that won't attract too many bugs.....

Mad Hatter! Pennyroyal is a natural bug repellant, and there's just something about MH that is fantastic in the heat.

I don't do well in the heat, and by heat I mean anything over 75 degrees or so. I just got into BPAL last fall, so this will be my first summer with lovely scent choices. I've been keeping track of some scents to try when it gets hot, so here's my contribution to the thread.

Arcana (clean lemon), Tweedledum (light, fruity and green), Juke Joint (smells like having a drink on the porch on a summer night), Whitechapel (light, bright, citrus and white musk), Xiuhtecuhtli (orange citrus), Carnal (reminds me of fresh melon), Mad Hatter (pennyroyal/minty fresh) and Cathode (oakmoss/mint)

I've found that I love wearing sugary florals in the summer. Things that are lackluster and 'okay' really bloom and sparkle in the heat. I practically bathed in LUSH's Vanillary scent all last summer. This year I'm excited about wearing (in addition to Vanillary) Penis Admiration (so hate the name), Follow Me Boy, Harimise, High-Strung Daisies, Tiki Queen, and Very Slightly Haunted Dollhouse. I think that Penis Admiration is going to be especially pretty in the sticky heat of summer (and see, because of its name, I feel awkward saying that, lol).

Edited by Little Bird

My hot weather list:

Carnal

Berry Moon

Fae

Hungry Ghost Moon

Jersey Devil

Maenad

Pele

Strawberry Moon

Tamamo-No-Mae

Velvet Tiki

Newer blends that I suspect will be great in the heat, but haven't had the opportunity to experiment yet:

Kiss Amongst Discarded Tissues

Metal Tiger

Thoos

This summer (my first real BPAL summer !) i'll probably wear :

- Pele is the first that comes to mind. A lovely exotic yet clean white floral.

- Peach moon, a lovely floral/peachy/chrysanthemum blend.

- Katharina, a pure peach/floral on me. I love fruits for summer.

- Lolita, such an energetic, happy scent !

- Muse, cant wait to try this lime blend during the hotter months.

- Tweedledum, mango is such a lovely summer fruit.

- Berry moon, a lovely musk with berries.

Fruits, fruits, fruits ! Cant wait for summer !

Edited by SarahCamelia

For the summer, I like to wear -

Luna Moth

Rosy Maple Moth

Tiki Princess

Pahoehoe

Plastic Pink Flamingo

Schrodinger's Cat

Bat

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat

Teatime At Roswell

Anne Beany

Lilith's Tea Party

Alien Invasion

J-Horror

Velvet Unicorn

L'Heure Verte

Midnight On The Midway

Strawberry Moon '09

Juliet

Sea Of Glass

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Lemon Scented Sticky Bat!! I opened my bottle as soon as it arrived and jumped for joy at how wonderful it will be to wear through the hottest summer days. I was hoping it would smell a smidge less like lemon meringue (which is what it did on me), but I do love it.

The other scents I've thought of for wearing a lot during the summer seem to be fruity/citrusy scents and light florals:

Amsterdam

Cheshire Cat

Delirium

Eve

Pele

Persephone

Schrodinger's Cat

Squirting Cucumber

Verdandi

I think a lot of the foodie/sweet/deep and heady scents that I loved through the winter are going to be too heavy for me to wear through the summer. We'll see.

I don't really have any "Summery" scents but I like to wear the lighter ones in my collection:

Cake Smash

Celeste

Dia De Los Muertos

Dorian

Giant Vulva

Glitter

Gypsy Moth

Haloes

Inez

Joyful Moon

Kali

Lady Una

Loli.Goth

Mouse's LAST

Obatala + Pele (always worn together)

Rosy Maple Moth

Snake Charmer

Sybil

Velvet Pink Kitty

Velvet Tiki

Velvet Unicorn

Also, Snake Oil and Banshee Beat aren't light but I wear them anyway. They smell amazing on hot skin. ;)

Smut '10 really, really is gorgeous on me when it's hot out. I also like Tweedledee, Embalming Fluid, Strawberry Moon 09, Fire Pig

Edited by fireweaver

Eden

Eden v7

Geek.Goth

Jolly Roger

Lady Lovibond v2

Luna Moth

Marae

Marie Celeste v4

Opuhi

Paper Kite

Pele

Plastic Pink Flamingo

Pirate Moon

Scurvy v1

Stinky

Sweet Life

Tiki Princess

Tiki Queen

Tupapau

Upa Upa

Velvet Tiki

...and any of the Atomic Luaus

Edited by Invidiana

Any of the Lick Its...the mint just cools everything off beautifully.

Ah yes, glorious 100+ degree summer. Here's what I plan on:

Embalming Fluid

Dorian

Shanghai

Schrodinger's Cat

Phoenix in Spring

Antikythera Mechanism

and possibly Knockout Drops, depending on how heavy it is. :)

Definitely Velvet Tiki and I find that the Deep Ones works very well in hot weather too.

Also, Snake Oil and Banshee Beat aren't light but I wear them anyway. They smell amazing on hot skin. ;)

This! Sometimes I just want to wear sultry scents that work with the heat instead of holding up against it.

My favorite hot weather scents are:

Medb (this has aged nicely and smells less like lemonade and more like a lemon cookie)

Ecstasy True Love

Mead Moon

O

Hetairae

I do like the sultry ones like Banshee Beat too - but I have to use considerably less of them when it's hot, because it doesn't take much for it to get overwhelming!

For a sexy summer night scent - Black Temple Burlesque Troupe is *amazing* - I was standing at my roommate's place of business one day while he worked on my car, and the mechanic's garage is hot - and I kept smelling something wonderful...I finally figured out it was me (hehe) The heat/sweat was making the scent waft like nobody's business :wub2:

For lighter scents during the summer, I usually choose Snow White, Tiki Princess, Eden, Obatala, Strawberry Moon 2009, Jailbait, The Girl, Clockwork Couture: Female...and I suspect I'll be cycling some of the newer bottles that I've swapped for (such as Harigata II and Loosening of the Obi).

Edited by GirlinDenial

my favorite summer scents:

the lighter end:

Agape

Archangel Winter

Black Opal

Black Pearl

Bread and Butterfly

Caliban

Cloister Graveyard in the Snow

Faith (my new current love)

King of Hearts

Parsifal

Snow, Glass, Apples

Snow Moon

Torture Queen

Wensleydale

the sultry end:

Defututa

Banded Sea Snake

Green Tree Viper

Hollywood Babylon

Illustrated Woman

Definitely Velvet Tiki and I find that the Deep Ones works very well in hot weather too.

Also:

Tiki King

The First of the Three Spirits

Haunted

The Sportive Sun

Sri Lanka