Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

This is a great thread--we too are getting hit hard with the lovely humidity, so anything that helps me not feel so nasty and sweaty is good!

I'll second Lady Una--I wore that earlier this weekend, and it stayed very well throughout the day. I'm also a big fan of Sugar Moon on hot days--that burnt sugar smell with the greenery poking through was great. :P I'm about to get a partial bottle of Xiuhtecuhtli in swap, and I have an imp of Severin I'll have to try again (I loved it--it just has very little staying power on me). I'll have to look up Carnal, and maybe give some of the other tea scents another shot.

In theory I agree about the Apothecary being great for this weather, but my skin seems to just suck those light tea scents right up -- Apothecary and Gennivre just disappear on me. Alas!

I've been enjoying Dragon Moon (the recent vintage) on hot days, and also Diwali.

I find Opuhi to be really sexy and refreshing in the heat. I wore it out dancing once and yum!

I appears that I've somehow lost my mind (due to summer heat) and am CRAVING light juicy fresh melony fruity citrusy :P scents out of the blue all of a sudden. This is NOT normal for me. I dont even like those kinds of scents.. or do I? :D

Last week I couldnt even look at my many bottles of musky/incensy/floraly scents and ended up grabbing the imp of Dorian out of my swap pile and ended up wearing it for days. There's still atleast another month of summer to go and I cant keep wearing Dorian everyday (well I could I guess, but...)

Please everyone, please throw my way all kinds of fresh scent ideas at me. I NEED them!

[edit: I have to put this list on hold for now, due to financial circumstances]

Edited by rawgirl75

Shangai - not fruity but slightly citrussy. Mainly tea and honeysuckle. Love it for summer

I appears that I've somehow lost my mind (due to summer heat) and am CRAVING light juicy fresh melony fruity citrusy :P scents out of the blue all of a sudden. This is NOT normal for me. I dont even like those kinds of scents.. or do I? :D

Last week I couldnt even look at my many bottles of musky/incensy/floraly scents and ended up grabbing the imp of Dorian out of my swap pile and ended up wearing it for days. There's still atleast another month of summer to go and I cant keep wearing Dorian everyday (well I could I guess, but...)

Please everyone, please throw my way all kinds of fresh scent ideas at me. I NEED them!

Shangai - not fruity but slightly citrussy. Mainly tea and honeysuckle. Love it for summer

Oooo YEAH, Ive been thinking about that one - I bet it would be absolutely juicy! mmmmm :P

I would recommend Embalming Fluid (citrus green tea) and the Dormouse (fresh slightly fruity tea). I don't do fruity much, but I love refreshing tea scents for summer.

White Rabbit is my go to summer scent. Black tea and fresh linen.....mmmmmm :P

Mmmm yeah.. White Rabbit sounds yummy :D *marks that one down too*

I'm confused -- are you looking for primarily tea scents? If so, Nostrum Remedium and Torture Queen are both very nice. :P

If not, here are some others (some of which have tea as a supporting note):

Embalming Fluid - Like a cool glass of lemonade

Phantasm - Smells like sugary lemon candy

Earth Rat - Melon!

Titania - Sweet pea and sugary fruit

Fae - Fresh, juicy peach

Swank - Pomegranate martini

Maenad - Pretty strawberry orange blend

The Apothecary - Smells like green tea and fresh grass, very refreshing

Silence (from The Salon) - Hard to describe, but light fruity floral

Crawdad Dream - Blueberries

Cheshire Cat - Grapefruit and currant, really invigorating

Shoggoth - Smells like fresh lime

Aizen-Myoo - A little tart at first, but blossoms into something incredibly cool and fresh

Absinthe - A really neat citrusy-herb smell -- very light and not cloying at all

Edited by inurbanus

Shango is super juicy and yummy. :P

Shango didnt work on me at all the first time I tried it, but maybe it was too old/new? What do you think?

I'm confused -- are you looking for primarily tea scents?

No, not tea specifically. Dorian was just the scent I happened to have had on hand.

What I really want is a whole bunch of GC and LE options for light, fresh, juicy, fruity, melony, non-heavy scents that I can slather to my hearts content until the fall. I've been wearing Kumiho, La Fee Verte (a little cloying, but it sure is :P ), Dorian, Yerevan and fresh Snake Oil (aged is too heavy right now) so far.

Oh I sure wish I'd gotten my hands on some Mead Moon when I had the chance. Honey is usually my nemesis, but I haven't been minding it at all in the La Fee Verte these days.....

Daiyu. I am OBSESSED with Daiyu right now.

I'd also suggest Embalming Fluid, Shanghai, Fae, The Apothecary, and Titania.

i like some of the alice ones - the dodo, croquet, tweedledum/dee.. fruity!

Tweedledee is definitely fruity, but if you don't like pepper you might want to avoid that one. I learned that the hard way. :P

i like some of the alice ones - the dodo, croquet, tweedledum/dee.. fruity!

Since I discovered Croquet earlier this summer, I've worn that on quite a few humid days. Have you looked at the reviews for 51? Some of the components are honeydew, guava, white and green musks. It's quite nice, too.

my favorite hot weather one is Wensleydale, or Dirty which is similar but not quite as perfect =) Based on your rec request, I'd also suggest Yemaya. (a bounty of melons and grapes, strewn with the petals of the flowers of motherhood, draped with sea mosses)

I'd also second the Torture Queen request. Habu gives me a very fresh vibe too, and maybe Temple Viper.

I'll second Yemaya as a lovely, melony fruity scent. Fire Pig is also a nice fresh fruit scent. Australian Copperhead is fruity, but tends to strike me as less of a hot weather scent and more of a warm weather scent.

Edited by Luminara

I'll second Yemaya as a lovely, melony fruity scent. Fire Pig is also a nice fresh fruit scent. Australian Copperhead is fruity, but tends to strike me as less of a hot weather scent and more of a warm weather scent.

Fire Pig is definitely lovely, but does have a strong floral component to it -- I found it too strong when it was HOT though YMMV.

OMG, Blue Fire!! It's the perfect juicy-sweet blueberry scent.

Katharina is also amazing during hot weather -- I get white musk and apricot primarily, and it's a lighter scent.

Marianne, despite the red musk, is incredibly light and is a beautiful fruity floral. I get quite a bit of currant from this.

Tanuki wasn't up my alley, but it's similar in feel to Fire Pig but is more citrusy.

Knucklebones, which I haven't tried myself, has been said to smell like Sprite in reviews! Sounds pretty refreshing to me.

Akuma is totally fruity in a fun way. Nice for layering, too.

Kuang Shi was, again, not a perfect fit for me, but the mandarin note is nice.

Rangoon Riptide is my second-favorite Tiki blend. :P It is a little rummy, though!

How 'bout:

Jester: huckleberry & red currant

Aglaea: ambery, peachy musk

Tamora: more peach

Perilous Parlor: vanilla & pear

March Hare: apricot & clove

Carnal: fig!

Bordello: plum!

Cheshire Moon: guava, grapefruit, banyan fruit, etc.

edited to take out Kumiho, now that I see you have it :P

Edited by ladyjc

Awesome everyone! My wishlist is starting to look good!

This is what Ive got on my wishlist so far:

White Rabbit

Shanghai

Blue Fire

Maenad

Jester

Tamora

Yemaya

Katharina

Wensleydale

Knucklebones

Squirting Cucumber

And Im going to retry these (digging them out of my swap pile o' doom) just in case they work now after aging some:

Embalming Fluid

Phantasm

Titania

Dirty

Fae

Carnal

Silence

Marianne

Fairy Market

The Apothecary

Rangoon Riptide

Other possibles which contain component concerns that I might add to my w/l later on (I think Im allergic to peony):

The Dormouse

Cheshire Cat

Danube

Daiyu

Aglaea

Croquet

Earth Rat

(ps. I love love love Cheshire Moon... too bad my father hates it (allergies). :P )

[edited to add squirting cucumber]

Edited by rawgirl75