Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Donnababe

Best BPALs for SUMMER - is it hot, sweltering, sticky outside?

if you can score a bottle on the forums, I highly recommend Spirits of the Dead; in our extremely hot and humid broken-air-conditioning'ed office, it stayed light and green but got this lush quality that surprised me with how sexy it was. I think linden likes heat.

if no, try Neo-Tokyo, it always feels cool on my skin and it's GC. If you don't like cherry blossom and ozone, I second Embalming Fluid and would also add Dirty, that's a very crisp light scent.

Dumb question: which BPALs do you have that are going off in this heat, or which particular ones are going nastiest? See, there may be a common factor, and then you know to avoid that common factor in summer scents.

Kalli

I'll second the rec for Xiuhtecuhtli: for me, this is a scent that doesn't really come into its own until the weather gets hot and humid; I've tried wearing it in colder weather and the citrus didn't feel quite right...but in the summer? Gorgeous.

You might want to try Pele: it's extremely subtle (which should take care of the people-running-away-from-you issue) but surprisingly long-lasting for such a soft scent. (And it's just so summery and pretty!)

If your skin needs something stronger than Pele, I'd suggest Glasgow and Dublin as fresh scents that can be worn year-round.

As for Dorian, I find it quite wearable in humid heat (as always, your mileage may vary). Dorian has the famous sweet vanilla-tea drydown, but its earlier phase is actually quite refreshing.

It's an LE that may be hard to find by now, but I recommend Lick It. The staying power might not be the best because of the soft mint note, but on me it lasted 4-5 hours today (applied sparingly) and I tend to sweat a lot- I think it's ok to reapply after that time in hot weather.

I think Lick It is a very good scent for summer, it's light and enjoyable, doesn't go weird during the day and I believe it is also pleasant for other people to smell in this heat because you don't associate any additional warmth or depth with it (although I wouldn't describe it as a cold scent either).

I greatly appreciate everyone's help!

darklorelei: Ive been eyeing Shanghai for a while now, may have to check it out and include it in my next order. As for Two, Five, and Seven I recieved it as a frimp in my first order and it is a lovely citrusy scent but alas vaporizes almost instantly outside. One of my many dissappointments. Been thinking of making it into a lotion in hopes that will add some longivity.

fiction tragedy: Embalming fluid sounds like a winner, since anything tea like seems to stand a chance in this heat. Sudha Sugara has been on my pending list for a while now. Although it seems to have limited staying power it sounds like a lovely bath scent.

sarada' date: Szepasszony sounds delightful and is also on my pending list. I will add it to my next order. And I know all about bugspray, since the mosquitoes have arrived here in force and no one is safe. On a funny note I once wore Seraphim to work, and although it was one of the oils that turned into a cloying strong vapor around me, not even one mosquito touched me. Not sure if my body chemistry helped keep them at bay, or the fact that even the mosquitoes couldnt take the smell, but it was an interesting experience.

Meg: I will have to check out the ozone scents, since out of the large variety of BPAL I ordered in my first order not a one was ozone. Danube, Lightening and Neo-Tokyo will definetly be added to my next order.

So will phobos, since I plan on ordering all the recently revisited Grapefruit scents...I have hope for these as they sound deliciously cool.

O is lovely on me when it is cooler outside with wonderful staying power most times. It is great when I wear it out at night and it has cooled down considerably. However, during the heat of the day it doesnt have a chance. It was a sad day when someone literally walked up to me and said I smelled like Playdoh and I had to wash off the precious. The honey makes it just foody enough to go bad. Dorian I certaintly want to try, and hopefully it wont turn in the heat like O since it doesnt contain the honey note. Thanks!

judas_kiss: Xiuhtechuhtli doesnt like me personally, in heat or out of heat. It was a shame since I loved it in the Imp. I will have to think on adding Opium Poppy to my order, since another of Rapacini's Garden (Cobra Lilly) seemed to work out for me.

I did recieve Obatala in my first order and it seemed to last longer then most, but it soon faded away. However. I did recieve Severin as a frimp in my recently delivered Carnival order, so I will check that out. I have hopes since you say it is teaish. Will report back on the outcome.

northatlantic: Embalming fluid seems to be the most recommended so Im almost ready to splurge on a 5 ML. Neo-Tokyo is also a go on my next order.

And I will have to troll Ebay and the forums here for any Spirits of the Dead. You have me intrigued!

Dumb question: which BPALs do you have that are going off in this heat, or which particular ones are going nastiest? See, there may be a common factor, and then you know to avoid that common factor in summer scents.

Kalli

Not at all a dumb question! You do have a strong point. Well I listed a few above, like O and Seraphim that turned gagworthy. When I made my rather large Imp order I was careful to order pretty much one of every type, and so far pretty much all of them cannot take the humidity. The main offenders I can remember off the top of my head which almost blew anyone over near me: O, Seraphim, Bordello, Sophia, Athens (which is my favorite around the house scent), Spellbound, Intrigue, The Hanging Gardens, Saint-Germaine, MonsterBait: Closet, Gluttony, Black pearl and Im many im forgetting. The ones that dissappeared completely are Shango, Queen Mab, Pride, Delerium, Blood Countess, Nefertiti, Zombi, Bathsheba, Vice, Othello, Obatala, Two, Five and Seven and anything that was a light floral that I am forgetting. Kali also didnt last, but it never did even before the heatwave.

I *know* food-y scents just wont work for me right now, unless im looking for the a people repellant, and light citrus/florals just have no staying power beyond a minute. Of course this wont stop me from wearing my new Midway out and about today, but since its a lighter foody smell maybe I will luck out.

styro: Heh, the two of you make me want to take out Xiuhtecuhtli and give it a second go.

Pele sounds like a winner, since I have taken to wearing a body spray that contains Hawaiian Ginger until I found a BPAL that works in this humidity. Will add that to my order. Subtle sounds great, as I want to gently waft to others not knock them over in a cloud of smell.

shadith: Now I have two LE's to hunt down! Although Ive been intrigued by Lick It for a bit now, and would love to own a perfume by this name. Even if it didnt work out for the summer months it would still be nice to own as part of my collection.

Thank you everyone! I know Im getting Embalming Fluid, Neo-Tokyo, Szepasszony, Danube, Lightening, Pele, Opium Poppy, Shanghai, Phobos and all of the Grapefruit scents. Contemplating making Embalming Fluid into a 5 ML, and I already plan on getting a 5 ML of Dorian. Ill also be keeping an eye out for the two LE's recc'ed.

Heh, if I get anymore wonderful recc's ill probably end up with 4 imp-pack orders.

Vanilla, honey, hazelnut, red wine notes, amber, lavender, and cocoa/chocolate notes are common ingredients in stuff that goes bad on you. I'd be wary of jasmine, because it can be overpowering in the heat. Some roses and some musks go bad or disappear, others may be ok.

Kalli

I think you should definitely give Xiuhtecuhtli another try. I tried it in the winter and it was horrible on me, but on a whim I tried it the other day and the tropical blooms and just a hint of incense were absolutely gorgeous, and perfect for the 110 degree heat. Of coure, it's not humid here at all, so that may make a difference.

I don't really have anything new to add--Embalming Fluid, Dublin, Shanghai, Obatala, Shango, and Aizen-Myoo are what work best on me when it's crazy hot out.

Embalming Fluid, Shanghai and Wilde are three of my favorites for summer. Alas, I can wear none of it because of my chemistry destroying the tea note, but for you lucky peeps who can wear that tea note, they are great.

Failing those, I love Severin for summer with its Earl Gray and lemon.

Short staying power is not an issue if you use a scent locket, believe me the cool silver in the summer is refreshing, and even Severin will work wonders all day long in a locket. Essential for hot weather survival.

Dorian or most of the aquatics are great summertime BPALS. Dirty is very classy and cooling. Nuclear Winter or the evergreen Yules which were so much in evidence this past Xmas are good choices. I bet Water of Notre Dame is a winner in the summer. Cathode always reminded me of cold and Martians.

2,5,and 7 was a great choice, and Rose Red is good too (but not in large quantities), Aizen-Myoo is very citrus and cool. Alice is a beautiful small and exquisite summer scent. Amsterdam, Antony and The Apothecary would be very nice.

Baneberry was always a sort of cooling and clean scent. Eden is greenery and Elegba is a suntan lotion/coconut smell.

The Hamptons and Hanging Gardens work for me, one because of its alcoholic astringency, the other because of its greenery. House of Night and Ingenue are good. House of Night is a heavy and moist scent but it's cool like marble, as is Black Opal (someone mentioned that...the mineral smell is cooling).

Kumiho is wonderful in the summer (tea and citrus). The Lion works for me but it reminds me of drying grasses, it's a summery scent but not a cool one. Maiden is great summer prettiness.

Pain is damned cold, and Paris is lavender which is always associated with cooling comfort. Quietude is in the same lavender family.

Sea of Glass is grapefruity goodness. Skadi if you can get it is cooling pine forests. Snow Bunny and Snow White both give me a cooling jolt. The latter is a great all around the year scent which broadcasts well and is pretty beyond belief. Sudha Segura has been mentioned before and I second that thought. If you can't do tea scents, Sudha will cool you down beautifully. Tintagel and Torture King are forests and citrus respectively.

Ultraviolet is cold, very cold but you don't want to use too much. Utrenyaya and Vechurnyaya are cold as well (could be heavy too if you use too much but in the right amount they are really fine).

Veil and Whitechapel are good summer scents. Veil is the cold violet though not as cold as Ultraviolet. Whitechapel is a bit warmer but I still like it for summer. It's very sexy. Yog Sothoth always gave me chills, it's a bit menthol-like in my estimation.

Bumping cuz, right now, the "real feel" temperature is 95 and humidity is at 56%.

So far, my favorite hot weather scent is Parsifal. On me, the florals are light and submissive and the ozone is chilly. There is a hint of citrus, but not the flesh of the fruit...more the mist that comes from the skin when you cut into it.

However, it is my Special Occasions scent and not something I want to wear every day.

I've read through this thread and made some notes, but it's been dormant for over a year :P Anyone have any recs for newer blends? I'm mostly interested in things that are not super-minty.

For me, Gennivre is a great spring/summer scent, as is Olokun. F5 is really nice, but I'm not sure how easy it is to track down.

I also have to second or third or so Undertow and Nuclear Winter and the Lick It's.

I've said it before, but I really like some of the heavier blends in the summer, especially red musk scents. Something about that note just goes with the sultry weather, and also those scents last and last through the heat. Corazon is the first to come to mind.....I love it in hot weather. Also Mme. Moriarty, Lust and Sin. Maybe it's a psychological thing. : )

I love orientals in the summer too! Something about spring brings out the lighter florals, but once the heat really hits, florals and fruit turn wilted and sour on me! Musks are particularly lovely. Snake Oil, Scherezade, Smut, Bastet, even Bordello, smell so good warmed up!

I can't get enough of Dorian right now, with Lady Una a close second. So, I guess I'm with the other people who've been recommending the tea scents :P (though sadly, Severin is pure bug spray on me) Last summer, I was wearing Titania & Mum Moon a lot for that sweet fruity floral kick. It's only moderately humid here, though, those two might be too strong if it's sweltering.

One blend that I like a lot in the summer, and that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention here, is Marquise de Merteuil. Maybe people are scared off by the mention of vetiver in the notes, but I loathe vetiver and don't get it at all here. It's a bright rich peachy blend that seems to get better the more it warms up, staying sweet but not TOO sweet, not fake candy-fruit sweet, but like a ripe summer-sun-warmed peach.

One blend that I like a lot in the summer, and that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention here, is Marquise de Merteuil. Maybe people are scared off by the mention of vetiver in the notes, but I loathe vetiver and don't get it at all here. It's a bright rich peachy blend that seems to get better the more it warms up, staying sweet but not TOO sweet, not fake candy-fruit sweet, but like a ripe summer-sun-warmed peach.

That actually sounds really nice :P

I was scared off by the French florals, but if fruit is dominant, it should not be a problem.

I can also see the appeal of heavier scents in summer to match the atmosphere :D I will have to test this.

I like Ultraviolet in hot weather. It really blooms and has a lot of throw when it warms up, and the mint is really refreshing on a hot day. Shango is great for the fruity, tropical feeling of it. I also, erm, really like Privilege. On a hot day, the linden really comes out and the vanilla flower note sweetens to create an AMAZING scent.

The Dormouse is another good light, refreshing tea scent. The Unicorn and Leanen Sidhe are nice as well.

I didn't read the entire thread but I wore Haunted the other day when it was really hot. I applied some on my chest and behind my ears and I kept getting yummy wafts of Haunted throughout the day. It wasn't too heavy of a scent for hot, humid weather either like you might think it would be.

Today was the first really warm day, and I couldn't decide on what to wear. I dug out an imp of 51, and it's quite nice. I think that after 8 hours, it still smells relatively true to the imp. It didn't get sour or funky on me due to the humidity.

I like Shrodinger's Cat on hot days. Carnal also...pretty much any scent that's heavy on citrus works for me.

I like the pine blends like Old Moon and Knecht Ruprecht. They seem cooling to me. I'm also enjoying Gibbous Moon.

I second F5. If you ever liked CK One, it reminds me of that, a little. Very light and crisp. Squirting Cucumber is another one that I think is good for uber hot weather. And April Fool is a new one that I like on warm days; the light floral really perks me up.