Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
noumenon

Shortcut to Exotic Places - Wanderlust Recs

I'm a newbie trying to catch up to all the experts on this forum, so I've been reading the catalog and the reviews obsessively for the past two weeks. But now I'm nearly blind from all this small print, and I need your help!

I'm counting on all of you to give me the guided tour of the Knowne and Unknowne Worlds...what are your favorite Wanderlust scents?

:P

I think Wanderlust might be my favourite category.

I adore Manila for the tropical scent- it's exactly what I've been looking for!

Whitechapel is possibly my favourite scent ever- it's light and citrus-y and just all around beautiful on me.

The Crossroads are a sweet, herbal incense on me. I need to wear it again before I can offer a better description, but I do like it.

I loved Hollywood Babylon until I realized my husband was allergic to heavy musks, and I think the musk may've been making me cough a bit, too. (It has a gorgeous, sweet, musky scent, though.)

Kyoto is lovely and light. (I need to test my imp further)

Madrid is gorgeous and sweet. (I need to find a new imp to test!)

Morocco has 2 danger-notes in it for me- Carnation and warm musks. However, this blend works well on my skin. I love the spicy feel to it, and yet the dry-down is almost powdery.

R'Lyeh has my beloved element of citrus and, true to form, I love ze evil grapefruit.

Silk Road is AMAZING. It's warm and perfect.

And those are the ones I've tried and liked/loved.

Dublin, Glasgow, Tintagel, London.

Who, me? Anglo-Celtic? However did you guess? ;-)

Seriously, though, if I had to choose only one BPAL to wear year-round, Dublin would be that scent: it's outdoorsy, fresh, invigorating, pretty but not too girly. I'd describe Glasgow the same way; it's less woodsy, more meadow-y, and ever-so-slightly the more summery of the two. Tintagel is my "Christmas at a Renaissance Fair" winter comfort scent, and London--though I've only sniffed it--is a wonderfully evocative tea-shop rose (and I'm not even a rose fan).

Edited by styro

Wanderlust has some fabulous blends -- I don't think I've ever been disappointed with a Wanderlust choice. My faves are Baghdad (spicy incensey deliciousness), Eden (fruity flowery coconuty, great for summer and for sleeping), Prague (one of BPAL's best florals, IMHO, light and fresh and watery -- I've never had anyone smell it and not like it), Tintagel (misty and mysterious) and Versailles (a walk in a sun-warmed rose garden).

My favorites are:

Glasgow

Gomorrah

Hollywood Babylon

Madrid

Port-au-Prince

Prague

Tenochtitlan

Tintagel -- #1 favorite!

And also keep your eyes peeled... Beth said that a new sub-category called Phantom Islands will be added to Wanderlust at some point in the next few updates.

Dublin all the way. I had to buy a 10ml because my husband loves wearing it too, even though it's got the slight sweetness of white rose. It's like a fresh early morning walk in wet woods. :P

Gee, I can't wait for my imp of Dublin to get here. (*sighs*)

I love Cairo, which is beautifully exotic

and Glasgow

Very new to the Wanderlust series, but suspecting I am going to find more favorites here (Gomorrah is also dark and sweet). Versailles, alas, didn't work for me--but for those for whom it works it is I guess wonderful (*pouts*)

I love Glasgow (one of my top 3 scents and has been since my first order in 2004!)

Tintagel (spicy, reminds me of winter holidays)

Dublin (fresh and springy)

Eden

I adore the Wanderlust series! The scents are beautifully evocative of their names (and in some cases, smell nicer than the cities they are named for-I'm glad London doesn't smell like it actually does :D but certainly evokes the feel and atmosphere of their namesakes!)

Here are some highlights of mine from my Wanderlust Airways World Tour, your pilot is Beth, let us take your nose on a nice flight...

Baghdad: wonderfully exotic sandalwood-rose-amber incense, it's gorgeous, dry, mysterious and I love it.

Bengal: honeyed chai. Cinnamon buns dripping with honey. Deliciously spicy. :P

Cairo: fruity tangy incense, with a sunny, dry, energetic feel, sums up the city of Cairo and Egypt as a whole-the heat and the chaotic hurly burly, the exotic feel it has, and a slight dusty drydown.

Hollywood Babylon: gorgeous, decadent, sexy and glamourous red musk and fruit scent. Sweet and sugary but with a cheeky and raunchy side to it. This is exotic yet brazen and flashy, it's fantastic.

London: a stunning yet simple scent of tea rose-this traditional floral is ever so English, but anything but grannyish, in here.

Manila: so humid it's uncanny (how can Beth capture climate in a scent? Amazing!), with that muggy jungle scent with lots of banana and forest scent.

Morocco: beautiful, exotic, comforting and warm-soft carnation paired with creamy sweet musk on a soft bed of spiced sandalwood…this is probably my favourite Wanderlust.

Silk Road: a wonderful, complex and innovative spice scent-cardamom and cinnamon, with greener notes of tea and possibly bamboo, I get ginger and sandalwood too...

I can't wait for Beth to add new scents to this line!

Yerevan is my #1 favorite BPAL-it's fruity, flowery, mysterious and slightly musky. A friend bought it for me before my first trip to armenia, and now I associate it with the city only because I wore it every day I was there. I would have never picked it out for myself, even after sniffing it in the bottle, but on my skin it transforms into the most beautiful scent.

I also love whitechapel and morocco. Wanderlust is my favorite category too.

My favorites don't seem to be the typical favorites, lol. The Hamptons is probably my absolute number one favorite from Wanderlust, followed closely by Kostnice. The Hamptons is just such a refreshing, sweet lime and cranberry scent on me. Very edible and great for summer. Kostnice was one of my first BPAL loves, and it remains a favorite <3

I also really enjoy Bayou, Florence, Glasgow, Versailles, and Whitechapel. Bayou just amazes me because it manages to be both swampy and a lovely floral perfume at the same time. Florence is a golden, spiced berry scent. Glasgow is just as beautiful and true as the description. Versailles is a sunny-citrus rose perfume, and one of the only perfumes where the jasmine doesn't overpower everything else. And I love Whitechapel more on the boy, as it seems to go soapy on my skin lately.

Silk Road was the first wanderlust imp I ordered, because I figured that one would give me everything, and it did!

I love Moscow as well, on good chemistry days, and the fruity airy loveliness of Yerevan. And Baghdad, although on me it is nearly pure nutmeg, but it does give the picture of the city - in its glory days, not now. (Shudders: a "new Baghdad"?)

And although I did not like Kyoto, it definitely did its job - as Japanese as I have ever smelled.

Go Wanderlust!

You guys have inspired me to shoot for a 10ml of Dublin now, before they go poof. :P

I love all your recommendations - And I can't wait for Phantom Islands (or Mag Mell), either!!!

bengal, london and tenochtitlan are my favorite wanderlust scents.

also liked, but not as much- dublin, amsterdam, silk road.

I haven't tried every single Wanderlust scent, but my absolute favorite BPAL scent is Manila. I also love Eden, Gomorrah, Hanging Gardens and Morocco. Oh my, I just think about these scents and I swoon :P Well, I actually was thinking of a more graceful motion - lol

Bengal, Morocco, Manila, The Hanging Gardens an Silk Road are my favorites in this series.

Bengal and Kathmandu, for totally different reasons.

Bengal is warm spicy honey-cola. There is NOTHING so fine as a bit of Bengal on your neck before you go out dancing. Smells like a spice market would smell if sex was one of the spices.

Kathmandu is gorgeous too, very complex. It's otherworldly, not sweet at all, and nothing else smells anything like it.. A nice bracing change from sweet and foody.

Whitechapel rocks.

If you have a guy in your life, run don't walk, and get Neo-Tokyo. It is one of my favorite scents, right up there with cathode in the sort of modern smelling electric type scent stuff scene (that so made sense in my head I swear). Minty electric goodness with a hint of musk. It is a fantastic guy scent.

Morocco & Port-Au-Prince are my faves from the Wanderlust area. Morocco has carnation in it and I LOVE carnation. Port-Au-Prince is dead sexy and has a heavy clove note on me. I :P cloves!

ETA:

I forgot about Paris...it's a lovely-sweet lavender scent. I never thought Lavender could be so "pretty", but this blend makes it downright adorable. It's not really a "me" scent, so I gave it to my daughter who loves it.

Edited by judas_kiss

The only one I've tried is Dublin. I love it in my scent locket but I tried it on my skin today and I like it but I have other fragrances I like better for on my skin.

Edited by archergrl

Morocco and Whitechapel are wonderful as others have said, but I also love Jezirat al Tennyn (The Dragon’s Isle: smoke and fire, earth and wind. The rage of the elements blasting over a primordial paradise)as it has a wonderful smoky feel to it, it's complex and spicy and with a tiny fresher note.