Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

Fae was lovely in the bottle, full and light at the same time. I caught a strong peach note, which was quite pretty.

On me, it starts nice, if a bit confused. The peach and oakmoss battled it out for about ten minutes before the peach finally stabilized. However, just before I could relax and enjoy the loveliness of the scent, it turned to powder on me. Peach scented talcum powder, which just reminded me of the way an older aunt would smell. I tried it several times, hoping that I judged too quickly, but it never quite worked for me. This one went in the swap pile, because I am sure it is perfect for someone else. Edited by Shollin

I probably shouldn't have tried this so early in the morning-- my nose always takes longer to "wake up" than my other senses. I just could wait, though, so...here's hoping I'm smelling enough to give a decent review.

In the bottle:

Mmmmmm. I smell the peach mixed with the bergamot, peach with a bite, and an underlyign warmth that must be the musk. But it's not sickly-sweet! It's lovely, a very bright golden perfume.

On my skin, wet:

Much the same as it is in the bottle. I guess I'm lucky in that respect. The peach is predominant, and there's still that little underlying bite of the bergamot. The musk has faded a little, but it's still there.

Dry, about half an hour later:

Oh, I like this. It hasn't really changed a whole lot on me. The peach is still making it smell yummy, the bergamot is there to keep it from getting too sickly-sweet, a little citrusy edge, and the musk is there underneath to give it a glowing warmth. A sun-warmed peach. Mmmmm.

Two hours later:

Well, I can hardly smell it anymore, but that might just be my nose. I will have to try it again to see if it actually does last longer. Boyfriend says it does, but I'd like to be able to tell if it's still there myself. :P

Ah, there it is! It's mostly musk now, with a touch of oakmoss to give it a little woodsiness. The peach has faded to a tiny little background sparkle (maybe it's the bergamot...I don't know, but it's a very faint tart note), and I really do like that white musk...

Yes, I really like this perfume. I really do.

Verdict:

Will definitely be using up the imp. We'll have to see on the big-bottle-buying. I want to try all the imps I've got before I decide on which I'd like a larger bottle of.

Oh wow this is just an incredible wonderful scent. I am so enamored with this and its no surprise because it smells alot like alice. :P This is definatley Alice's fruity cousin. I know they share bergamot but i also smell a faint spiciness in the back which makes me think this might also have some carnation in it. Either that or am just really a big fan of bergamot cause that is what im getting alot from this and from alice. :D :D

This isnt too peachy either which is excellent because im not the biggest fruity fan. I will probably wait till next fall before purchasing this one, and wear alice more in the winter (i have a big bottle of alice on its way). They are very similiar but different enough to not feel bad about ordering both in big bottles! :D

If anyone has an imp they dont want ill be happy to take it off there hands with a swap. :D

This is a sprightly blend that uses oakmoss really nicely. Oakmoss seems to usually be used as a base anchor note, but here it’s given equal time with the peach and it adds a downy green note that can be appreciated in itself.

On my skin, the peach blossoms and unfurls over the oakmoss and musk, leaving me with the overall impression of a clean, springtime breeze. It also smells to me like the inside of a branch when it’s twisted and the green moist marrow is exposed and wrung of its scent.

It’s very fae and very light, although it lasts and lasts on my skin. So far, it’s one of my favorite BPAL fruity florals.

The faerys are having a bit of sport with me: they know how badly I want to be enamored with one of their scents (to match my screen name/persona), and they keep twisting them so they work on almost everyone but me. :D

Queen Mab was pretty awful on me, as much as I tried to like it--strong peaches and soap. Fae smells like a lighter version of the exact same thing--peaches and baby powder. Slightly more wearable, but pretty bleh. No bergamot came out to play, and no musk. :P

Maybe I should set out some goodies to tempt the wee folk before my last hope, Titania, arrives... :D

I love this one!!

When I first put it on I can really smell the peach which reminds me of one of the scented strawberry shortcake dolls I had when I was little. So I guess it is a very nostalgic scent for me.

After it dies down a bit I don't smell the peach as much but it is just sweet and wonderful. I have to put this one on VERY sparingly though because it is quite strong and lasts forever on me.

Fae from The Bewitching Brews:

I was smelling a musk and light peach, heliotrope with dab of bergamot, wasn't getting the oakmoss note at all. Drying down it was about the same with a background of something else, maybe it was the oakmoss . It's a lighter scent to me, lighter in a sense of not in your face. Fae lasted about six hours on me, very nice, with peach and musk in the notes. You can't go wrong with me, love it, want a bigger bottle.

Fae

Very peachy when first applied but with a slight tang, I think caused by the bergamot. As this starts to dry I can smell the musk, it makes the peach smell very adult.

Although warm and fruity there is a dryness to this, perhaps the oakmoss?

Once dry I’m surprised at how light but full this scent is. The peach is no longer so readily identifiable, just a gently fruity, slightly musky sweet perfume. Very nice.

In the bottle, I smell juicy peach. On me, I definitely smell the sweetness of the heliotrope and the white musk, but after a while, it smells like baby powder with a hint of sweet flowers and fruit. A nice clean scent-- I can see wearing this on a drizzly Sunday morning, fresh out of the shower.

I like this. starts out sweet but not cloying and fades into a very nice musk (soft and subtle but pretty). the best part, though, was that I went to whole foods this morning, and walking through the produce section, I heard a woman say "what IS that wonderful smell?!! it must be these pineapples! I totally have to buy one!"

hee hee I don't think it was the pineapples!

:P

This one is very nice although I'm not totally sure if I would buy a bottle of it yet. When I first put it on it has a light lemon scent. Then it changes to fruity- which is the peach I guess- and florals too. It is a very light scent and would be good for springtime I think. It dries down very powdery on me, like baby powder which I don't really like that much. I'll try wearing this one again in warm weather and see if the powdery part is still too much for me or not. Overall though it's very nice (just not a huge love it-must have it now- for me).

*Update- I tried Fae again this spring to see if it would work better for me in warm weather. I do think it makes a good springtime scent but it's still just a little too sweet for me. I ended up swapping this one.

Edited by Phaedra

Fae, pretty pretty fae.

This scent is warm and sparkling at the same time! Brilliant! The Heliotrope definately gives the peach a glistening quality, and the musk, I believe, makes this a very wearable scent - as it merges with my skin very nicely. I wish that I knew what oakmoss smells like. Doesn't sound very nice, but it's in a lot of scents that I like, though I can't detect it.

This is a scent that I would wear to the same effect as Bon Vivant, minus the booze - it's bright, it cheers me up.

Good staying power - though the peach definately becomes the dominant note as this wears. Not that there is anything wrong with that, no no.

I would like to have more fae, but she's in a three way tie with Kali and Dragon's tears for my next big bottle order. Hmmm... I definately think that I would be more inclined to buy this in the warmish months, I think it would be much more appropriate.

Edited by Caitfish

Fae is a very happy, summery scent on me. White musk + fruit is usually a surefire combination on my skin, and this is no exception.

I get a big burst of flavourful, ripe peach from the wet stage, that slowly mellows down to a warm, slightly powdery light musk.

Yet another keeper :P

I was slightly intimidated by the peach in this, but needlessly so. Wet this smelled on me exactly like licorice - then it mellowed into a soft sugary peach scent, then settled after about half an hour into a light fruity musk. This finalizes as a more sophisticated, prettier version of my favorite middle school perfume, Bonne Bell's Skin. :P

I didn't think that Fae would appeal to me, since I tend to like heavier resiny or spicy scents. However, the dominant notes in Fae (white musk, peach and oakmoss) produce magic on my skin. Since Katharina, which is predominantly white musk and peach blossom on me, doesn't work for me, I think that it's the oakmoss note which provides the necessary balance by grounding the scent with its earthiness. Unfortunately, Fae has very little staying power on me, so I would need to apply several times during the day. Still, I am considering buying a larger bottle so I can do just that!

Heliotrope, bergamot and peach make Fae a truly unearthly blend.

The opening notes remind me very much of toasted Italian fennel cakes. Sort of like stepping into your back garden to discover the fairies have laid out a table with hot Earl Gray tea and warm little cakes and bright peach jam.

It's darling and winsome, and you probably shouldn't try to eat any of it.

Fae was a freebie from the lab. :P I'm not sure how long it would have taken me to get around to ordering it, since I'm attracted to descriptions of the "darker" scents, but I'm glad I didn't have to wait! After sampling about 20 oils, Fae is one of five on my big bottle list.

Fae is otherwordly; there is no other word for it. Yes, there is peach, but a peach slightly different from peaches in our world. Not so sweet or earthy. There is musk, but not quite our musk. The bergamot is veiled, and the heliotrope moves in and out. This scent shimmers.

It smells pretty and feminine, but with an edge. This fairy wears a small blade at her ankle.

Fae isn't a strong or assertive scent; it doesn't have throw. But is wears and fades gently during the day, my nose catching the scent here and there. I hope its scent is pleasing to the Otherkin; I may wear it when working certain kinds of magic, or try burning it in a candle. I think this scent captures the feeling and associations of fae perfectly.

Brilliant.

In the vial: Light, fresh and fruity

Wet, on my skin: I smell peach, musk and bergamot, I think. It's light and ethereal.

On drydown: The musk and the oak moss become the more prominent notes and the peach takes a step back. I think I will be buying a 5 ml of this in the spring. It strikes me as one of those perfect "spring" scents.

I received Fae as a generous gift from the lab :P . I was a little unsure of it as fruits don't usually do well on my skin. But it smelled so lovely in the vial, I had to try it on. It really isn't a sweet, juicy peach kind of smell to me, it's more like peach pie, sort of like the peach in Jack II. I really like it, except that it's so light I can hardly detect it after about half an hour. I makes me curious about other peach scents though, it seems to be a fruit that works on me.

Oh, I wanted this, as fruity scents are what I normally wear and peach is a recent love in both flavor and smell form.

Unfortunately in reality Fae just didn't work for me - in the vial, it's an interesting sort of zingy, musky fruity sweet, and I couldn't detect any obvious 'peach' smell (you know that jolly-rancher, artificial peach smell? I think that's what I expected), but on my skin it immediately turned into Love's Baby Soft, a scent I used to wear when I was just starting to be old enough to wonder about perfume, and not one I really particularly like anymore. Alas! Given a few hours it never recovered from the babypowdering.

Argh, stupid body chemistry! :P

Ooh, this is bright!

Like fruitpunch with a kick in the bottle, Fae is a wonderful floral/fruit scent on the skin. It lifted my mood just to smell it! That's hard to do when I am grumpy.

Unfortunately for me, I have about three bottles of BPAL oils that are musk based, so I am trying to stay away from buying new bottles with musk or rose in them.

Yet, this is lucious. I may have to change my tune. The fruit is the loudest note on me, I smell a lot of peach, which I like, followed by a blanket of flowers and a bed of mosses.

I am impressed. I would highly recommend this oil! :P Maybe for someone who likes florals and fruit based oils with a difference.

Edited by Madame Nyx

I tried Fae despite the fact that most fruity-sweet scents are not really me, wondering if the oakmoss and other things would mitigate the fruitiness.

It was nice enough in the vial, but it turned out similar to Katharina on my skin - something about the peach/apricot + musk combination goes vaguely sour, and it was really too fruity for me anyway.

Farewell, Fae, off to swap! I guess I prefer the Dana O'Shee type of fairies.

In the bottle: The oakmoss scares me but the rest of the scent sounds brilliant. I can detect both the peach and the bergamot, which is something of an interesting combination. The peach is a more resigned scent than I had expected. This is an almost ripe peach rather than one overflowing with sweet juices. The combination of the bergamot makes it a little tart. There might be a hint of oakmoss being used as a base, but it was not the overwhelming scent I had been afraid might pour out of the vial. I cannot detect a floral note as of yet, but then I do not know quite what heliotrope smells like. Also, the musk is lying low, but in fruit blends the musk never bothers me. I have a penchant for white musk, and we get along swimmingly.

Wet: Mmmm...peachy but with enough bergamot to produce a nice, tart bite. I am really not a fan of bergamot, but it works all right in this blend so far. This is mostly peach with the other notes serving for a background. The oakmoss is very faint. The heliotrope seems there merely to provide it with a very fresh, yellow kind of scent. This is summer to me. A very warm, summer kind of scent when you've been basking in the sun for hours with a good book. There's the musk. she loves to mingle with the fruit scents, and it's so nice when she does. This is a more mature version of Titania. It's stopped playing in the woods at all hours of the day and is leaning toward more intellectual persuits.

Dry down: Still light and peachy. The bergamot is not at all overpowering and neither is the oakmoss. The heliotrope must be a light floral as it is not asking for much play on my wrist. We are mostly in peach and musk heaven here. This is not a favorite at first sniff the way that Titania was. This is the version that you have to get used to because she's a little stand-offish at first but you'll grow to love her in time. The bergamot provides a nice, crisp citrus note under all the peach. It keeps the whole smell fresh and from becoming too sweet.

Dry: Hmmm, now it kinda smells like soap. A really nice soap, but something is giving it that kind of soap edge. Maybe the heliotrope. I'm not sure. It's still a very nice scent, but it kinda goes soap/powdery and then starts to fade away. This lacks the staying power that Titania has. It may be a little more mature, but it is also too busy to stay in one place for very long. That or my skin has decided to devour it. There's really only a very little scent when I bring my nose up close and really inhale it. And it's something of a light, breezy, yellow scent. Probably the heliotrope. Oh well. I like this well enough to be glad I have my imp, but unless it grows on me more in subsequent wearings I doubt I'd ever buy a bigger bottle.

oooh.. I am sad.. so many people like this one, and it sounds awesome, but this one is not for me. This smells sort of musty on me, like a sweet but stagnant wind. I get some peach and musk which are nice, but somehow the moss in this smells funny on me. I love the moss in hamadryad, so I'm sort of baffled as to why this one hates me, but anyway, fae gets swapped.