Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Fae, from Bewitching Brews:

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

It is my number one favourite BPAL scent so far. For me, it's long lasting, sweet yet not sugary at all. Very light and airy, I love the peach and musk combo. It almost has a masculine twinge to it, but overall it's very pretty and reminds me so much of my visions of the Fae and what they'd be like. The heliotrope is very bright...it's almost like it's a sparkly scent if a scent could be sparkly, at least at first and then it becomes more and more natural coming off my skin. LOVE it.

I quoted Laivine's Fae review (posted in the Welcome thread) over to here so it'd be easy to find. --Shollin

Liking this one very much. Very fruity and sweet smell. The peach is definitely the dominant scent, truly wonderful and the musk comes through nicely after the scent dries. Very young and fresh. Definitely a summery scent.

For me, Fae started out with a touch of peach and heavy on the white musk, with the bergamot more moderate.

This dries down to a sparkling, green and light fruity-floral - the peach and heliotrope really wrap around each other and are held together with the white musk and oakmoss underneath it all. The pungence of the bergamot makes it stand out from other fruity-floral scents

Really nice - I may wear this one enough to purchase an additional bottle, come spring.

Edited by jj_j

Just when I think I've found my favorite BPAL scent, I try another one, and... such is the case with Fae. This is amazingly lovely. Soft - fruity, floral without being too much of either. I imagine sweet impish fairies sprinkling this during the first days of spring. It's innocent but not childish - there is definitely an air of mischief about this one!

Since everyone's pretty much covered the wonderful scent, I will just add that Fae has now become a staple! It's gorgeous!!

Truly heavenly. On my skin, initially the white musk and peach shine brightly. Slowly it becomes a soft white light, though never fading, with the heliotrope drifting out to meld with the musk and peach, resting upon a soft bed of oakmoss, touched ever so lightly by bergamot. Stunningly beautiful!

I so wanted to love this, so badly.

Unfortuantely, it is not jiving with me.

It smells too powdery, not enough juciy peach, and i don't smell the bergamont or the oakmoss. I wish it was a little more earthy. I'm guessing the overly powdery, to the point of vanilla-y scent is the musk. While it isn't bad, it just isn't me. Bah Humbug....I really did want to love this.

Update: This is starting to grow on me. The powdery scent is start to mellow out, though I am not sure it is becuase of a change in chemistry, change in my ability to smell, or just the fragrance being persnikity.

Edited by faerowan

The fruit didn't work out. It just morphs into something powdery. It wasn't very crisp. It seems like something harmless, but after a second, you realize there's something wicked lurking beneath. I didn't like the wicked part. Although, the wicked part isn't so apparent on my clothes and the powdery scent smells better on my clothes (just doesn't work with my body chemistry).

I reviewed the above on April 13, 2004. It's now February 12, 2006. I got a frimp of this from the lab several months ago and decided to try it again. Well, I love it now. It's sparkling and powdery and slightly fruity and sweet and :P . Hooray for frimps! I think, for some scents I nearly liked, but decided to let go of, I'll try them again if I get them as a frimp.

Edited by malanna

When it was initially put on the peach was the strongest part of the scent, but it smelled too synthesed.

As the peach dried more the white musk and bergamot notes came through, and combined to make a wonderful airy scent with exactly the right balance of sweetness and light. This is a total mood changer!

This is my favourite floral by far now!

:P

This one is definitely my current favourite scent (Alice is a close second), especially for this time of year. It's light but not too light, and the slight sweetness is great for spring and summer. I find the peach is just enough to balance out the other scents which tend to be more intense on their own. I like heavy, sensual scents but not when it's hot out.

That said I wore it to work the other day and one of my friends said, "Why do you smell like baby powder?" Oh well. I don't get baby powder from the scent at all. Maybe it was my hair conditioner scent mixing with the Fae scent.

Initially when I put this on I can smell the sweet peach. After it drys down it smells very powdery on me - not really sweet but kind of spicy and powdery- I wish I could smell a little more of the musk. This is a light scent, however, and I have had to reapply. It really reminds me of spring/summer - very airy.

I applied Fae sparingly at seven this morning and at five in the evening on a hottish day we're still going strong. Its been an interesting journey though!!

First applied - slightly overripe peaches with a hint of musk

On the bus (first hour!) - regretted putting it on at all!! Got a really wierd fusty note, reckon it was the oakmoss which wasn't really unpleasant but very strong and I felt like I was stinking the bus out!! It was as if the peaches were rotting ever so slightly.

First four hours this musty smell remained, but grew gradually sweeter and sweeter as the musk reappeared, becoming (as I was staring out of the window at around midday) what I would assume peach talcum powder would smell like.

Now, ten hours later its gone from my wrists but my chest is still exuding a lovely balanced soft musky peach, with no hint of oakmoss or powder!!

I've run a bath which I don't want to get in since I'm already smelling so lovely!!

I havn't caught the bergamot or heliotrope all day. Since Fae on me is more soft than bright, I think I would be more comfortable wearing it in the autumn. Peach jam?

-fallow deer

A bright, juicy floral in the bottle, this mellowed nicely on my skin. I can pick up a strong hint of peach and white musk and something lightly floral. It's a nice, pretty mellow scent that isn't too overpowering or sickly floral on me.

A definite favorite. I wish it lasted a little longer on my skin but it works better applying a bit more :P

When I was looking over all the mind-boggling choices on the Lab's site to choose my original six imps, Fae was one of the first ones I picked out. It sounded incredible. Then, I read these reviews. Peach was the scent that was dominant, and I thought to myself 'I don't wanna smell like a peach!' So I didn't order it. I actually got this in swap for a friend of mine, and of course had to try it. Now? I love it. I may well order a 5ml of it I love it so much :P

Out of the bottle, it's herby. Perhaps the heliotrope and burgamot. Then, the peach sits down at the party. It isn't overwealming by any stretch... it's soothing, and cool, and delightfully foody. Rather quickly on drydown the musk shows up. Leave it to the musk to be fashionably late. The musk adds a richness and depth to the whole scent that, while sweet yes, is still incredibly light and dark at the same time. If that makes sense. If someone decided to make a sex candy (god, not that I'd want to taste it, eugh) this is what it should smell like.

Love, love, love Fae! :D

Hate, hate, hate my sensitivity to bergamot!!! :P

I *MUST* find a way to use this without actually wearing it on my skin...possibly as a spray to infuse the scent on my clothes, possibly in an oil burner.

I am just loving how light and ethereal this smells...to the point where I may just suffer through the burning, tingly sensation it is giving my arm where I applied it.

I also love love love Fae! :P

In the bottle its mostly peachy, which isn't my favorite fruit scent, but it smells so wonderful and juicy! it goes on pretty sweet and juicy too, but then the woodsier scents come out. its both sweet and outdoorsy, but not in an overly mossy kind of way. I think this (and Rosalind) could be my favorite summertime scent(s)!

Swiped across wrists and along collar bone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Sweet, almost flowery scent (peach and heliotrope?)

Initial Dry (8:30-11:30am): Very potent, almost sickly-sweet, powdery scent (heliotrope and musk?)

Throughout the Day (11:30-4pm): Faint wisps of earthy tones (bergamot and oakmoss?), underlined by a much-milder sweet musk … slowly fading

Overall: Maybe I can avoid the heavy powdery scent if I place it on my clothing instead of directly on my skin. I really want to like this scent - so I must give it another try.

~~~*~~~ EDIT (August 2, 2004) ~~~*~~~

Placed on clothing (collar and cuffs).

A sweet, musky peach that slowly turned into a thick musky, earthy, scent. I feel the headache beginning at the back of my head – mayhaps it is the musk that is inducing it. *shrug* Oh well, two imps to gift upon others.

Edited by Faerykin

in the vial: Ooh! Vibrant, lovely peach and some kind of green mossiness, with some lovely floral note in the background. :D

Juicy AND earthy AND a little floral is definitely a perfect combination for a springy-summery oil for me. :P

wet, on the skin: This definitely invokes images of little, glowing peach-colored fairies in the woods. Actually, this is what Dead Can Dance's Aion cover would smell like!!

dry, on my skin: I smell soft earthy sweetness (yummy!!). This lasts a lot longer than I thought it would. Huzzah!

Yup, another 5ml purchase for me...!! :D

After falling in love with Katharina, Fae went to the top of my wishlist, thanks to the white musk and the peach. I also used to own a perfume called "Avalon Peach," and I was hoping that Fae might remind me a bit of that...

In the Bottle

Yeah, there's peach in there, but it's not as strong as I thought it would be. It smells as though it's equally paired with an herbal/green smell. There's also something else that I can't quite identify. This reminds me of how a peach smoothie might smell, after they've added spirulina, or vitamins, or whatever else they add to smoothies to make them more healthy. It's not so much medicinal, as a scent that I associate with health stores, like GNC or other vitamin filled places. I expected this to smell a light more light, but instead it smells very green and foresty.

Wearing It

When it first goes on, it turns sweet. Sickly sweet. But this is probably just my skin chemistry, which turns anything fruit into a sickly sweet smell. Katharina was an exception, for some reason, but Fae turns into an over ripe/sweet fruit smell, just like Kitsune-Tsuki, and many others. But underneath the sweetness, there's actually a hint of something spicy. Not a strong spice, like Old Morocco or Scherezade, but a soft gentle spice. Barely noticable. Also, there's a mossy smell underneath it, and it makes me think of a ripe peach, laying on a patch of moss that's been freshly ripped up, with black earth still clinging to it.

After about half an hour, the sweetness finally subsides and I can actually sniff my wrists without wrinkling my nose at the smell. Unfortunately, by then the peach has faded significantly and all that's left is the mossy smell, with the white musk and heliotrope (I guess?) finally showing up. Smells like a bright, sexual patch of moss. Kind of a weird image, really. Works better if I imagine a fairy who smells like moss, but also a light musky sexual scent underneath.

Anyhow, this lasts about 3 or 4 hours on me before I have to reapply it and suffer through the first half hour again.

It really is a pleasant enough scent when it fades, but nothing dazzling enough to go through the first half hour for. If I'd discovered this before I discovered Katharina, I might wear it just for the scent after it's faded a bit, but I think that Katharina is by far the superior of the two (on my skin, at least).

On the other hand, don't think that by smelling Katharina that you have gotten the spirit of Fae in the same sniff. Consider Katharina to be a bright, spirited perfume, with a hint of innocence and sexuality together; Fae is close, but is instead the earthy, fleshy cousin, who knows her sexuality, and is more seductive than spirited. Fae would make a good alternative for anyone who thought that Katharina was too bright, or not complex enough.

Aaaaaaaaaaah, FAE. Heliotrope Heaven. It's very sensual, like being in a garden just after it has rained, when all the scents and colours are saturated and heightened. I like this a lot, especially the oak moss. FAE is very clean and natural. The heliotrope, musk, and oak moss combine so well that I don't even notice the peach or bergamot. Such a stunning summer scent.

:P

My first review! :D

I love Fae. It reminds me so much of my mom with it's light, warm peach wafting smell.

First impression: Whoa! Strong! Smells like the farmer's market my brother works at!

Wet: Peaches. Nothing but the biggest, roundest, warming-in-the-Virginia-heat peaches.

Dry-down: There we go. Now it's warm peach pie. My mom when I was little. I'm gonna have to make her some shimmer powder, methinks. It's sweet, but the oakmoss or musk seems to make it not so overly sugary.

After a while: nice and woodsy peach. Like the smell of an orchard as opposed to the smell of just the fruit. Very yummy.

I have a feeling this isn't a scent that will fade quickly on me. Also, I like it paired with Pele. I love my imp, but probably won't be buying a full bottle unless I decide to make something for my mom. ;D :P

Edited by zombiebunny

Fae was one of those that I wanted to try becuase I LOVE the smell of Peaches. I wish that my body chemistry wasn't so screwy.

On first application, Fae smelled like black licorice. I like the smell, but hate the taste, so it wasn't so bad.

15 minutes later, Fae smelled oddly of lilies and vanilla. It was a nice combination, but I was extremely surprised that it changed so quickly. I was still hoping for the peach smell, though.

About an hour after that, it changed again, this time to a honeyed, sugary scent with just a hint of lemon. Wierd. Still no peaches, and I couldn't believe it was changing so much!

And the last time it changes, which was about a half an hour later, it was an oddly *green* smell. Like new leaves, a nice spring smell. Gorgeous. But, still no peaches, and it didn't take long at all for another application to be needed.

The name totally says it all, as I always thought that Faeries were chaotic:)

First Impression: Oh sweet, heavenly elixir. :P

Second Impression: It's bright, playful, effervescent and (thank goodness) not fruity on me at all. The heliotrope and white musk dominate while the oakmoss, peach and bergamot stay grounded in the back.

Final Analysis: This is Tamora only sweeter, better. Where Tamora is all candy on me, Fae has a depth to it, like sweetness and light walking the line to the dark side. This has shot to the top of the list for my next bottle order. Positively dreamy!

In the vial: Oooooh, lovely. I get the peach and the heliotrope first, then a touch of the musk.

On me: The musk comes out a little bit, but it's mostly fruity and floral -- sweet and airy, light and just... wow.

I'm glad I took a leap of faith and ordered this.

this smells very much like summer to me, especially the lazy part of summer days from 5pm to 8pm. it's golden, warm, and sweet. it's caught between light and heavy. whoever said this was sparkly was dead on. it feels like it should tickle my nose every time i put it up to my wrist.

it was in my swap pile, but it seemed like it was calling to me from its little spot in my cabinet, so i picked it back up and gave it a second chance. i'm glad i did, because now i actually kind of like it. i'm not sure if i like it enough to wear it a lot, but it's somewhat comforting.