Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

I like florals with complexity and this one has it in spades. It's a really lovely, well blended scent that I would easily wear all Summer long.

ETA:
A year later, I've just tried Fae again and I decided to revisit my initial review, which in hindsight was both uninteresting and inaccurate. :lol:

This scent is mostly white musk and peach, with a bit of zing from the bergamot and a touch of brightness from the heliotrope. The oakmoss is like a fuzzy background note to my nose, one that I dislike in most scents. The smell of oakmoss almost wants to get stuck in my throat.

Fae has a sentimental place in my heart as one of the earliest BPALs I tried, but it's not really something I reach for or even like on me very much. Edited by OctoberGwen

I'm new to BPAL and this was one of the first imps that I have tested. Looking at all the great reveiws and reading the notes I thought it would be the type of scent that I would like and be able to wear. However, I just can't smell any of the sweet creamy peach everybody is raving about...On me it smells almost masculine and herbal. Probably the bergamot/oakmoss. It reminds me of this yuzu bathsoak my mother used to make me use as a kid.

Perhaps it's just my skin chemistry but I can't wear this :P

In the vial: Zingy peach! The zing probably comes from the bergamot. There just a hint of floral and clean, white musk. I don't get a lot of oakmoss in the vial.

On: Fruity and clean. Almost effervescent peach is front and center, grounded by the musk. Bergamot, oakmoss and heliotrope only play supporting roles and don't seem to be present as distinct notes. It gets quite weak upon drydown, though.

Later: Very weak fizzy peach candy. Not terrible, but I can't see myself reaching for it.

It's all peach on me. Do you remember Strawberry Shortcake dolls in the 80's? (Gawd, I loved them!) Fae made me feel as though I was a grown up Apricot. It's nice and delicious smelling, but it didn't last long and it's just not me. :cry2:

This had a light, sweet, greenish smell on me, and at first I really liked it. It reminded me of being in a springy meadow running around with deer and such. After just a minute or two, though, I had to strain to smell it at all. Where did you go, Fae? I think this could be a wonderfully playful, grassy, pretty scent, but it just didn't stick around for me.

This is not anything I would have picked out for myself, since I don’t like musky scents much, but it’s not bad. The peach and musk are pretty evident to me, but I don’t smell the bergamot, heliotrope, and oakmoss at all. The peach note is sweet, fruity, and powerful, and goes strong for a long time, then fades out, and the lingering soft white musk has fantastic staying power on my skin, lasting at least a full day and night. Because of the musk, it reminds me of either teenage drugstore perfumes or very expensive old-lady perfumes… nothing I would pick out for a signature fragrance, as I prefer fresh green or citrus smells, but it seems like a sweet and romantic smell good for certain occasions: garden weddings, or a stroll in the park on a warm summer night?

This had a light, sweet, greenish smell on me, and at first I really liked it. It reminded me of being in a springy meadow running around with deer and such. After just a minute or two, though, I had to strain to smell it at all. Where did you go, Fae? I think this could be a wonderfully playful, grassy, pretty scent, but it just didn't stick around for me.

That makes two of us. Just as difficult to capture as the fae are, this scent is a beauty but has zero lasting power. Damn shame.

Something in this makes my nose itch! I've never had that happen before LOL- I've had sneezing fits but never an itchy nose! Everytime I try to huff the scent my nose itches. I can catch whifs of peach but that's about it.

Why HELLO THERE, Hungry Ghost Moon doppelganger!

I have been hoping there was a GC that was a suitable substitute for my well-loved but hard to find HGM 2006; well, Fae is it! It's interesting because the notes aren't much the same except for the musk, but the peach in Fae seems to mimic the ginger in HGM. Fae is very light and ethereal, juicy and sweet, but the oakmoss gives it a dark undertone that I really like. This is a real winner for me! :joy:

Clean, soft and Happy - but why so weak?

I'd have to cover myself tip to toe for anyone but myself, nose glued to wrist, to ever get to appreciate this wonderful smell...

In the imp- Light, flowery, and peachy.

Wet- Peachy.

5 minutes- The floral tones make a comeback twining with the peach, with the moss as a soft undertone.

Dry- The peach gets a tad bit stronger, the floral notes and the moss staying in the background.

Not sure if this is gonna be a keeper or not, it might be a good spring scent.

This is an imp ordered from the lab.

in imp: richly fruity - I'm not getting peach specifically.

on wet: I was hesitant to try anything with peach due to a bad association with fuzzy peach from body shop but this is nothing like it - there's a deep rich greeniness mingled with juicy peach, but it's a very natural peach.

drying: as it dries the musk comes out and joins the greeniness and sweetness of the peach - I think this would be great in summer - its not a crisp scent but it is a 'deep in the summer forest munching on juicy peaches' scent.

verdict: I don't normally go for fruity scent but I'm looking for something fruity for summer. As a comparison I death matched this one against Titania which I found a bit too syrupy sweet whereas Fae is a very natural deep peach with a little darkness. I'll be getting a bottle in my next order.

Thoughts before testing: I love each of the notes listed with the glaring exception of white musk, which invariably turns to the smell of baby wipes on my skin. I've yet to find a blend with white musk that doesn't, but I remain optimistic!

Wet: Sweet heliotrope with a hint of peach. No white musk?! I'm really hoping the baby wipe note of doom stays hidden.

Dry down: Ah, I spoke too soon. Hello, white musk. Thank you for drowning out the heliotrope and peach. It's cool, I didn't want to smell them anyway. Sheesh.

Dry: Baby wipes. Damnations!

Final thoughts: I think that this may be my last trial with white musk, because it's just too disappointing.

Verdict: Off to the sales/swaps/gift box :cry2:

In the imp--peach and heliotrope, and it's a nice peach, too, not a fake peach like I got from Tamora

Wet--fruity, flowery, and the smoky oakmoss keeps them all in check. Very pretty.

Dry--the sweetness moves more into the back, and I can't really make out specific notes. The oakmoss is more dominant, but no longer very smoky. This is a green scent with a bit of fruit and flower, but it's a muted olive green, not a bright green.

After giving this a wear, though I liked it I found I wasn't reaching for it, or finding it all that appealing to wear. I realized that oakmoss is just not something that works well on me, though I like what it does to a scent in terms of adding some depth and softness. Ended up passing my imps along to good homes who would appreciate it more.

In the Imp: Peach gummy candies. Very juicy. Very potent.

Wet: Oh my! Strong peach, and gorgeous heliotrope. I can also detect bergamot. These are some of my favorite things, and this is gorgeous!

Drying: Everything mellows down quickly. I can smell something tangy, as well as a base of something earthy: oakmoss? Looking for the white musk, I can't pick it out separately, like I usually can. Everything else started out distinct and is now settling down together into a very well-blended fragrance.

Dry: The end result is ethereal. Fresh peach, glistening bright florals and a base of gleaming earthiness. Very pretty and special.

My favorite BPAL is Tamora, so I can't help but compare this peach one to that. I still prefer Tamora for its warmth and vanillic overtones, but this is also extremely nice in its own way. Fae gives me dancing peaches in a forest, and I love it!

Overall: 5/5

This one seriously threatened to go into shampoo territory - both peach and white musk tend to do that. However, it dries down to a sweet, clean, vaguely peachy scent that isn't unpleasant. It is nice, but a little too one-dimensional, so it probably won't be a bottle purchase.

wet: This smells like apricots and bergamot. There's a hint of something anise-like in there too. (is that the oakmoss??)

drydown: The same but softer and sweeter. This scent is warm but there's a touch of something cool too, probably the heliotrope.

dry: Here's where the fun happens. Fae has three distinct final stages on me depending on where it was applied. On my left wrist it's a soft anisey-peach, like the drydown but even lighter. On my right wrist it's a soft, straight-up sweet peach. On my decolletage it amps that mystery anise note big time.

Verdict: Really really pretty. I'm not sure where the anise note is coming from, but it's gorgeous and I want more of it. The only improvement I'd make would be to make Fae a bit stronger.

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

Light yellow colour in bottle. Sweet peach. This one is really pretty, it's not at all girly as jailbait for ex, it's feminine and uplifting. This youd work great during summer, it's smells like real fruit. Later the bergamot takes it's place next to the peach and makes it a bit lighter and more citrusy, with the musk to tone it down. Like! :wub2:

I am quite new to BPAL and I have been testing heaps and heaps of imps lately - and out of all the ones I have tested so far Fae would have to be one of my favorites, if not my favorite BPAL GC (I still have a way to go before I test them all!)

Fae is soft, sweet, musky peach with a hint of heliotrope, I'm not getting any oakmoss. I love Fae :heart: and will definately be getting a bigger bottle.

In the imp: A little bit peachy, a lot mossy.

On skin, wet: Sweet and a little bit tart (the bergamot, I assume), but the moss is still the dominant note.

On skin, dry: Peachier now, less tart, but still essentially fruity moss.

After an hour: Fruity moss, almost a bit powdery. It's nice, but not the bright, fresh peach I was looking for.

I got this imp for my sister's birthday, as she likes fruity scents, but it was one I was interested in trying too so I stole a small bit to test! (shh, don't tell...) I ended up with about four different scents on, because a lot of the ones I ordered for her were ones I hadn't gotten around to trying yet...

In the imp: Peach, with a green-gold sparkle underneath.

Wet: ZOMG PEACH! I actually don't like the wet stage, as it's far too overpowering a peachy smell.

Drydown: Which one of these smells so lovely?! *sniff sniff* Ohh, it's Fae! The Attack of the 50-Foot Peach backs off some, and I can smell the heliotrope and bergamot coming through. It's actually quite lovely. I think heliotrope might be a win note for me, based on Fae and Eclipse.

Fully dry: Fae has faded to a dark green mossy scent, with flashes of peach, bergamot, and heliotrope peeking through the background. It's very sparkly, like sunlight through foliage. It would be beautiful in hot weather, but it's very faint, hardly any throw and I have to sniff hard to smell it. I'm not sure if it's because it's a light scent, or because I didn't put much on (only enough to test). Either way, I think this warrants my own imp, if not a bottle.

Wet to dry, overly sweet peaches, but more canned, not fresh. I rarely like peach, and the musk is undetectable here. Not for me.

Well this one has taught me a lesson about judging BPAL scents too quickly!

I had tried it once or twice and found it weird and furry and musky (could it have been the oakmoss? I don't know) and was broken-hearted because I really wanted a nice fairy scent.

But I decided to try it again because it's been really hot and humid lately and I don't really have anything light. Now it might be because of the week that's in it, but wow! It's a bright, fruity, floral, feminine scent with a lovely sophisticated perfumey drydown. I'm definitely getting the concept now! :joy: Magical. I'm off to frolic in a fairy ring.

Sorry my review's not more useful, I can't really pick out the notes but I heartily recommend Fae!

in the imp - more herbal than fruity, more green than glitter. It got me hoping for someting similiar to Titania, but with sharer, more balanced notes.

on skin, wet - nothing to do with the creamy orange gorgeousness of Titania. The peach is here on the background, but it's an occasional guest appeareance that comes and goes at random moments. The mischievous notes from the official description are there tough. This oil is playful, its scent both soft and sharp.

on skin, dry: good balance between frtuit and everything else - neither stands out and the result is quite pleaseant. Too bad life is too short to wear perfume I don't adore. Titania feels more fairylike than Fae does for me, and I adore Titania so... the comparison doesn't hold.

Still this quite good and I find it to be very gender-neutral.

Wet:On me, the oakmoss and musk are predominant, and have a decently large throw. Started out a bit disappointingly green, given the notes.

Dry: There's the other notes! They're much closer to my skin, especially the peach. They lighten it up quite a bit, but the oakmoss is still the main.

In the end, it smells like a fairy forest, with fruits smelt lightly from the trees around.

Definitely worth the wait for the dry.