Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A brilliant, ethereal scent: white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss.

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

First sniff:

Wow, this is beautiful! I never would have picked this on my own since it's not the kind of scent I normally wear, but this smells beautiful in the vial. Ethereal is the right word for this...it's light and ephemeral smelling. I smell peach, musk, bergamot and a hint of oakmoss right now. This is a light, innocent smelling scent and, while it's vastly different than my normal perfume choices, it's gorgeous. :D

Wet on skin:

Peach is the most prominent note here. It's fresh and light and sunny smelling but with a tiny hint of tartness. I can only smell a hint of bergamot now and none of the oakmoss, but the musk is skirting around in the background behind the peach, peeking out now and then. This would make a wonderful summer scent!

Dry down:

Fae isn't juicy anymore; it's settled into a light musk with a hint of peach and heliotrope in the background. This is, unfortunately, much too light for me now that it's dry. I need something a little bolder and, while Fae is gorgeous, it's not for me. :D

The bottom line:

A scent fit for a fairy! Unfortunately, I'm not the fairy type...more of an eclectic mix of hippie, goth and pirate and I need something a little bolder. Fae is gorgeous; it's just not for me, personally.

I have been hoping I would find at leats one scent that would be summery....

wet: intresting, I smell the bergamont the most

dry: beautiful, bergamont, white musk perfectly blended w/ the peaches kissing quietly in the background just peeking in every now and again to intrigue me.

I have found my summery scent 5ml will be on order.

this is still going strong about 4 hours later and I adore it.

Edited by shelldoo

Oh, such high hopes, only to be dashed.

This smelled wonderful at first. So bright, juicy, cheery.

Then, like so many perfumes that start sweet, it got sweeter, and sweeter. This turned to pure candy on me. Candy with lots and lots of throw - as if the oil was trying desperately to flee from my horrible skin chemisty.

And finally, it gave up and turned to powder.

I will agree that it is a brilliant blend - it fairly sparkles in the vial.

This is one of the first bpal scents I tried. Wow. Peach sunshine. This perfume sparkles with loveliness. It's a sweet scent. What a beautiful golden blend of almost irridescent heliotrope, and the golden amber brings a warm glow to the mix. It's flirty but comforting.

I honestly never smell the oakmoss or maybe I'm confused about what oakmoss smells like. It's playful but not immature I don't think.

I'm in love and a 5ml is the next step.

I think this is a bit too peachy (I'm starting to come to the conclusion that fruity scents are not for me) - I was hoping that the other notes would come out a bit more strongly. I would like something where the oakmoss comes out a bit more.

I'm going to try it again when the weather warms up.

I can't believe I didn't try this sooner! It's a very tart, sparkley fruit scent that, unlike lots of fruit scents, is pleasingly dry. I love the tartness of it. It's sparkley like Titania, but instead of feminine, it's mischevious. Instead of floral, it's tart. And it dries down into almost a woody, grassy fragrance.

I really love it -- a perfect way to wear fruits when you don't feel like a fragrance that is dripping or sticky or too foody. It's just fresh, tart, fruity, and playful.

I LOVE. :P

I LURVE Fae (white musk, bergamot, heliotrope, peach and oakmoss)! I keep imagining an ethereal will o' the wispy fairy with feather-light wings. It's such a wispy fragrance, yet with each turn of my head, I get a different scent, magical, ever-changing and stunning. On me, the peach, heliotrope and oakmoss play with one another, intertwining, flitting about, playing with each other to see who gets to lead.

Magic in a bottle!! :P

Fae is just a perfect spring blend. It started out with a touch of musk and peach. As it dried, the musk died down to a soft whisper allowing the bergamot to come through. The peach was continuously prominent, but blends nicely.

TMI ~ Fifth day of my period. Tapering off.

Note ~ Got this in a swap from VivLush! :P

Vial ~ Wow, wow! Extra juicy, sweet fruit. Wait a minute ... *eyes imp suspiciously* ... Juicy Fruit?

Wet ~ The fruit scent hit a wall very hard and morphed into something else. It's floral! No, wait! It's musky! Wait, it's ... it's ... what the heck is that?

Drying ~ It's downright mellow, is what it is. There's some fruit. There's also either a very, very light floral or simple greenery in here -- not herbal, just leaves. Wait, the fruit is coming back. I have no idea what's going on, but it's happening in my skin.

Drydown ~ Okay, I cheated and looked at the official description for help. I pegged the musk, the oakmoss (greenery), the heliotrope (floral) and the bergamot (fruit). The peach and the musk are doing a bit of a dance, right now. I'll find out who dips whom in a while.

Dry ~ It's drying down into one of the less obnoxious teen perfumes that I remember from the 80's. Depending on how I turn my wrist as I sniff, I start to suspect that plastic-resin smell is going to come in, but it hasn't yet. It's too complex for a children's scent, but is almost too hyper for a sophisticated scent. If I could switch around the names of the BPAL oils, I'd call this one Maiden.

Fade ~ This is *snert* pretty nice, actually. I think I'd be willing to alternate with Embalming Fluid over the spring and summer. With the way it fades, Fae could be a good evening scent for those seasons. A little sweet, but not overpowering. A little musk, but not so much as to be distracting.

Final thoughts ~ Okay, rarely have I been unable to keep up with the fluctuations in an oil while writing about it. This is impressive.

Edited by byrdie

In the bottle- When I smelled this for the first time, I immediately thought of gumdrops and licorice. I don't know why, but I did!

On me- The white musk comes out strong, it's a very white scent... but sweet too, like white flowers or vanilla. A touch of fruit too.

Fae is one of my absolute favorite scents...I don't quite know what I like about it, it's just so awesome. My imp ran out and I'm awaiting my 5ml ><

oh, i so wanted to love this one! the notes are all beautiful!

and, for the first 45 minutes, i DID love this one. i thought it might replace tamora as my to die for spring scent. . . peachy and soft and warm.

after about an hour, however, all that went away. i was left with a fairly generic perfume scent, with just the tiniest touch of peach. i had to concentrate hard to pick out any of the warm peachy goodness.

:P

so i ordered tamora!

Fae....

In the Vial: Dark and Peachy.

Wet: I smell Peach and...that's about it.

Dry: Peach and something citrusy pretty much.

Conclusion: Not at all what I'm looking for... Might or might not use up the imp, I think I might just trade it, but if you like Peach, you'd love Tamora, and Fae.

mmmm...PEACHES! :D this is some of the best & only stuff from BPAL the boyfriend likes. and i agree whole-heartedly that it is simply gorgeous. :P a perfect summer scent (a little light for winter & not enough warmth). it reminds me a bit of ebba's miss marisa, only without a minty aspect. very nice & peachy in a lovely, not syrupy sweet way. possibly a slight bit of floral-- and i don't like florals, but this is an amazing scent. i thought i smelled an errant bit of anise? it gets a 10 from me! :D

Edited by warmfuzzies

In the imp: Golden peach with something faintly sharp. I'm not sure what that is.

Wet: First, I get a whiff of the white musk. Then I get a whiff of the peach, but the bergamot adds enough of a bite to drown out the sweet, sweet heliotrope.

Drydown: In the initial drydown, the sweet peach and heliotrope comes out for one brief, glorious moment. Then the oakmoss comes out and eh. It becomes musty and not pretty.

Final thoughts: This is a very summery scent. I'm not sure I'd call this sparkly. I thought Tamora was much more sparkly in that sense, but someone recommended this to me since I loved that scent so much. I wanted to give this a shot because of the peach, but I admit I was leery of the bergamot and oakmoss. Apparently I was right. This is also much lighter and elusive than Tamora. It fades pretty quickly on me.

In bottle: Peach and heliotrope with bits of bergamot. It's very sweet and pretty. This totally makes me think of faeries flitting about with butterfly wings. It's very fruity and feminine.

On me: This remains very fruity on the skin. I really like it! It is the transition days between spring and summer, the delicate boundaries between the wet green hills and brown grass that the sun has toasted. I haven't been able to detect the oakmoss at all, but after the fragrance has been dry for a while the white musk grows much stronger. I consider this one of the best blends from the Lab.

This is fantastic and when it smooths down, it's ephemeral and really lovely. The juicy peach scent is there off the top, but then it dries down into a smooth, delicate musk. I have to say I'm so impressed by this fragrance. It's not something that I would typically think of as a "me" scent, because musks aren't really my thing. But this is really amazing. This is why the Lab rocks so damn much! It's one of those scents that you sniff on your wrist and you have to close your eyes, it's just so good.

:P

Fae

This was a freebie from the lab. Thanks!

Preconceived notions: I thought this would be a bright, ethereal scent.

In the vial: This smells like what I would imagine of a peach wine. Slightly intoxicating and very peachy.

On me:

At first, I get a strong whiff of the bergamot, with the peach hovering in the background. Citrusy and anise-like, but with the sweetness of a fresh peach.

In 25 minutes: Much peachier, but it still has the mysterious element of the bergamot. I do get the earthiness, as well.

In 2 hours: Fading.

Overall:

This is a wonderfully delicious, mysterious, and sweet peach scent. I love it, and may eventually get a bottle.

What I pick up from the previously vastly covered and wonderous Fae:

Mostly peachy

slightly bubblegummy (to my horror) but that fades, huzzah!

bergamot and white musk have an almost mint-like effect.

I too get anise but faintly.

Lasts very little on me, is very nice.

In Bottle: Yum! Peachy!!!

On Skin: The peach I smell first, then floral. It starts as juicy but is mellowing out to a bit more powdery. I don’t smell the oakmoss at all. Very delicious, I want to lick my wrist. I am craving peaches bigtime. This is a grown up sweet scent, not as girly as many I’ve tried, and it doesn’t give me a headache. I really like it.

Sweet musky peach, this is wonderful. I have been looking for a peach scent for summer and this is it. The musk keeps this from being too sugary and young. The heliotrope and bergamot don't seem to be coming out, but that may change. I can smell the oakmoss, it gives this a slightly masculine tone.

I like this, it is fruity and playful, a definate keeper for summer. :P

The description of Fae as a whole sounded gorgeous so I had to order it, despite my fear of getting an imp of peachy sweet goo. I ended up with an imp of absolute loveliness! It's definitely sweet, but not annoyingly so. The musk (or is it the oakmoss? hmm...) helps keep the peach under control and there's definiely some anise flitting around in here which makes this a little quirky. All in all, it's a warm smooth scent that I find very peaceful. Though it's not an every day scent for me, there's no denying its beauty and I'll definitely be keeping a bottle on hand!

Initial Sniff: PEACH! I also get a bit of white musk and bergamot.

Wearing: Sweet, light fruity... almost no throw and no staying power. I actually wore this two days in a row to try to get a feel for it, as after one day I had no impression at all. It is pleasantly fruity.

Final Impressions: Meh. :P

Bright and airy and summery. Sweetly tart and delicious. One of my latest favorites.

I got this a couple months ago as a freebie imp from the Lab, but didn't try it until recently because I didn't care for how it smelled in the vial. I should know by now to always try it on!

Fae

In the imp: fruity (peachy, definitely) and sweet with a hint of liquorice or anise!! A very 'playful' smell, I think.

Wet on skin: still that same peach-liquorice smell, with a deeper smell coming through-probably the oak moss? I think I can make out the citrus from the bergamot.

Dry on skin: the liquorice smell is gone, and a lovely, light peach smell remains. I can just imagine a playful, frisky little fairy when I smell this. The distinct Earl Grey smell of bergamot is coming through, adding a refreshing touch, and I think I can make out the sweetness of heliotrope in the background. This is a perfect scent for spring or summer, I think, because of it's light, sparkling ambience.

15 mins later: all these scents are mingling quite nicely. A lovely sweet fruitiness that isn't sickly sweet, it brings to mind the 'fairy phase' of my childhood where I was obsessed with all things fairy like. This fairy wears a peach-pink dress and has a perky grin on her face as she flitters about, spreading her light bouncy smell everywhere. It's got a zingy tartness that is probably the peach and bergamot, with heliotrope and white musk mellowing it out, there's also the slight hint of something green in the background.

Half an hour later: the musk is becoming more prominent, with the peach and bergamot still noticeable.

Verdict: this is such a nice, youthful smell, it's bright and bouncy with a gentle sweetness and hint of mischief. Very aptly named. I might consider getting more as I love fairies, and this is the perfect fairy smell.