Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coulrophobe

Dragon's Claw

Smooth, polished and lethally sharp: dragon’s blood resin and three sandalwoods.

Strong, and a scent which is curiously both "gummy" and "dry" at the same time, after a while it begins to smell like a polished block of wood that's been carved into a miniature Buddha, miniature because the DB wouldn't let it become any bigger. Too strong and single noted for me but sandalwood lovers should flock to it.

Imp: strong strong resinous dragons blood

Wet on me: Dragon’s Blood roaring over faint sandalwood

Drying Down: the sandwoods are trying valiantly to tame the dragons blood.

Dry: the sandalwood waged a mighty war against the dragons blood and barely won.

Once dry, this smells just like a generic dryer sheet on me. The ones that dont have any particular scent, just fresh clean laundry. It's not unpleasant at all, but not what I expected. I've never smelled dragon's blood before, so I dont know if thats what's giving it the laundry note or not. I usually get on very well sandalwood so I dont think thats the culprit. Overall, pretty and works better for me than Dirty did.

In the imp: Mostly sandalwood. The dragon's blood is in the background.

Wet: This is sandalwood dominant, but I am getting more of the dragon's blood on my skin than I was in the imp. (In other words, it is sandalwood with some spicy floral, resinous, somewhat cherry scent.) The sandalwood notes in this aren't as dry as the sandalwood found in Dragon's Bone.

Dry: Still sandalwood dominant, but with much less dragon's blood than before. The dragon's blood is still present, but it is content with a background role.

Verdict: This isn't 'me,' so I will pass the scent on.

This is very simple on me. It's a lovely sandalwood scent with a little dragon's blood in the background to spice it up a notch. Not much throw at all. And short wearlength. It's just ok. But if you love sandalwood give it a go.

There's no vetiver in this? I seriously get so much vetiver. So much. It starts out pretty much all vetiver, then for a moment I think I can smell a light floral peeping out, then back to vetiver, the vetiver starts to smell like either leather or petrochemicals (yes, I probably sound weird), then finally sandalwood comes out, and a while after that, the dragon's blood. At around the 1.5 hour mark is when it really comes together, vetiver and sandalwood and dragon's blood. It's quite nice at that point But it spends too long in the petrochemicals stage; I don't want to wait that out every time I want the final result, so this is a miss on me. But it sounds like it may be a weird batch variation, or maybe a mislabeled Dragon's Hide or something?

ETA: New theory: I may have a mislabeled Devil's Claw. In any case, my review appears to not be representative, so take it with the requisite salt.

Edited by lady_pandora

In the imp: Sandalwoods are barely there, alas. The main scent is a fruit, sort of like if Wrigley's made a Passion Fruit version of Juicy Fruit gum.

Wet and dry: My skin smelled like "My Little Dragon, Friendship is Fruit Salad," for an hour, and then it was gone.

Edited by Teamama

Bottle: The liquid is a curiously bright candy-orange color. The smell reminds me of my memory of actual DB resin, but sweeter and much more cherry-orange. I get the sandalwood.

Wet: Initially no change from the bottle. Straightforward. The orange smell in the DB fades quickly.

Dry: Faintly sweet sandalwood.

I'd like to try the version with leather.

This smelled lovely in the imp, but the dragon's blood of course went spicy-floral.

Dragon's blood and I have such a weird relationship - I do really think the Lab uses more than one DB note. I love it in some things, where it's subtle and just adds a little resinous sweet spiciness. In other things it amps to high heaven (like now) and is so overbearingly sweet I can't stand to wear it. To top it off, the sandalwood went sour on me in this, as it occasionally does. Fail! Glad I tried it though. Damn skin....

This is really pleasant. Clean, woody, and low-key. Not too dry but definitely not sweet, either. I like this a lot.

Where I'd wear this: A "pack light" city-touring vacation, always appropriate

This is a sweet but not juicy, dry but not brittle, woody but not pencil shavings CLEAN fragrance. On me, its linear, retaining the same fragrance profile throughout wear. As above mentioned, it is a low-key, pleasant scent.

In the imp: Dragon's blood with a woody undercurrent. 

On my skin:

Wet, the dragon's blood rises to the top of this blend. As it dries, the sandalwood becomes apparent close to the skin though the throw is all dragon's blood. 

After about half an hour on my skin, it really doesn't morph. 

It's sort of strange on me since it doesn't blend but rather seems two separate notes depending on where my nose is. 

This is probably headed for my swaps. 

Savory sandalwood in a multitude of delights. To put it simply, my skin agrees very well with sandalwood scents. The dragon’s blood resin gives it a deeper scent that works to keep the sandalwood in check. 

Generally I don’t wear many dragon’s blood scents out of the notion that it gives off an incense type of throw on me. This however is a fragrance that I can see myself enjoying every once in awhile.

On me it smells exactly like sandalwood and a bit of resin with little morphing. 
Good wear and throw. 

It always puzzles me when people describe Dragon's Blood as "sweet" or "jammy" because I use Dragon's Blood resin in herbal spell work and it's a v astringent camphorous resin to my nose. Yes it does have floral and sweet facets but on the whole it's quite acrid and sharp with a nose clearing quality to it which I experience for the first 30 mins before it mellows a little to a more powdery resin though the sharp quality persists for quite a while.

In the vial it's a light red/ padparascha colour so maybe I got a stronger DB blend or I amp it I guess as the sandalwood isn't as prominent as I was hoping but it does round out the DB nicely. It's a linear scent but I love unadulterated resin/ wood notes so this is DB and sandalwood heaven. Low to moderate projection and longevity. 

Not much to say on this one, I'm mostly getting straight-up dragon's blood. The sandalwood is... there. I'm not a big DB fan, so this does nothing for me.