Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coulrophobe

Dragon's Claw

Smooth, polished and lethally sharp: dragon’s blood resin and three sandalwoods.

Dragon's blood and sandalwood are some of my favorite scents, so I was excited to try this.
In the bottle it's smoky and dry, not as sweet as some of the other blends.
On me, I tend to turn DB a bit powdery, and the sandalwood didn't really help that at first. Pure baby powder, with a hint of a spicy woody scent. Hmm... the sandalwood isn't as balancing as I'd hoped. About five minutes in I smell like I rubbed dill all over myself. Further in I can tell that it's definitely a combination of wood and lilac (which is what the dragon's bloods settles into on me). However, wood and lilac put together in equally strong doses is dill. It's not even a pickle, it's just dill.
I have a pure sandalwood scent that I'm going to have to try again, just to see if I really like it, but now I know that my two favorites are a big no together.
Well, I'll always have Dragon's Musk and Dragon's Heart.

In the bottle all I get is sandalwood. Wet the scent doesn't change much but it eventually dries to a sweet pine with a smoke undertone. Is odd but nice.

I never thought I would like Dragon's Blood, most of the times I have gotten a whiff of the single note I have never thought it would be a "me" scent, but Dragon's Claw was a frimp and I have been shocked in the past so I like to try everything that comes my way at least once.

Dragon's Claw starts off as a woody incense smell, with what seems to be a hint of something sweet. As it dries it really mellows out and reminds me of something that you would smell in a New Age shop, or just some spiced wood.

Not for me, but at least I have found Dragon's Blood isn't as scary as I thought it was

Wow, surprise like. I thought I wouldn't like any of the Dragon's after Smoke (shudder) and Milk (ah! milk! get it off of me).

Smells slightly cedary to me, but very subtle.

ETA: I have had this bottle since 2008. It is a very comforting scent, like a dry powdery wood smell.

Edited by Megank4

In bottle/imp: Dragon’s blood with a bit of warmth to it.

Immediately on skin: This is strong on the dragon’s blood, of course, but it has a cloying warm note in there as well. It’s just slightly sweet, but rather soapy.

After a few minutes: The sandalwood has faded and this just seems like straight up dragon’s blood. It’s quite boring now.

Overall Impressions: I’m not a big fan of dragon’s blood… I think it makes most blends smell uninteresting. This one was no exception; the sandalwood faded fast and I was left with just the dragon’s blood.

Yep, dragon's blood and sandalwood. The sandalwood does a great deal in cutting the sweetness of the dragon's blood (which tends to remind me of cherry syrup once it touches my skin). Not really to my taste - I prefer amber when it comes to resins, and honey when it comes to sweet. If you are a DB and sandalwood fan, this is a very nice mix of the two.

Wet in bottle - Dragon’s blood and sandalwood. A tiny whiff of soap, but not very noticeable.

Wet on skin - Mostly sandalwood, with the underlying sweetness of dragon’s blood resin.

Dry on skin - A mild, light sandalwood tempered by the sweetness of dragon’s blood. Not a lot of throw, but a very pleasant scent. Thanks, lab, for accidentally sending me the wrong bottle!

Sweet and just a bit dusty-- Kind of like a shiny claw, sprinkled with sawdust. Dragon's Claw is a pretty straight-up perfume of dragon's blood and sandalwood. No surprises, here. Lasts a fairly long time, too.

:P

I can't wear Dragon's Blood. I get pure lilac out of this one after about 10 minutes. Now, the pre-lilac phase was beautiful -- all sandalwoods, which I love. But...no. The lilac ate every bit of it.

In the Imp: Dragon's blood, to the exception of all else.

Wet: The dragon's blood is strongest when it hits my skin, but this dragon's blood is a bit more laid back than what I find in, say, Wrath. A little softer, and the throw is a bit more flowery. I'm not quite lilac, like some people, but it is rather a lily scent; hyacinth, maybe? There is a hint of the sandalwood tempering it further.

Dry: The sandalwood(s) really come into their own in the drydown, and go hand-in-hand with the dragon's blood, making a sort of sweet but spiced wood scent that's approaching powder but not quite there. It's a rather mellow scent on me, and seems like it would be a comforting one.

Tested this with a friend. Mutual response: "WTF, ROSE???"

Half an hour later she was wondering what the nice woodish smell on her knee was. For her, worth suffering through the rose stage. For me it just faded as rose. Weird.

this is very cedary on me. the dragon's blood sweetens it enough that I don't smell like a hamster cage, and it is a very nice scent, but it's just not really a "me" scent. to swaps!

This was a little sharp for my tastes, I suspect there might have been green sandalwood in here, which notoriously smells sharp to my nose. Piercing even. I was expecting something a little smoother and something in here was very discordant to my nose. The dragon's blood was it's usually mellow, sweet self, but something wasn't jiving.

This, alongside Serpent's Kiss, changed my mind about dragon's blood. As long as the dragon's blood isn't strong, I can deal.

This kind of smells like Tushnamatay + dragon's blood to me. I am sure I'm way off, but it's just the smell I get. Worst review ever, but what can I say? Sandalwood! Dragon's blood that doesn't make me ill! Awesome!

I think dragon's blood works for me when it's not paired with other sweet things (like red wine and rose, as in Blood Rose = that day was the day perfume raped my nose).

So much sandalwood. I can barely smell the dragon's blood. It actually kind of makes my head hurt, or my head is hurting on it's own. I'm not sure. It's nice and woody. Smells like....a dragon's foot/claw. If it's been perching on trees. Yep....I'm going to sniff it again after my nap.

When I tried this on my skin, all I got was an incense shop.. the sandalwood was overpowering everything else but when I put it on my husband - it was fabulous. It might be bottle worthy for him. We are still testing a few Dragon's sto be sure we get the best one for him.

In the bottle: A sweet incense smell that reminds me of something I can't quite put my finger on... It's light, but kind of nondescript -- I'm not sure I could pick this one out in a crowd.

On, wet: Instantly powdery on my skin, and weirdly floral. It tickles my nose in an unpleasant way.

On, dry: My mother's nightgowns! That's what this reminds me of. My mother has all of her old nightgowns stashed away in a dresser, and the drawer smells just like this. Wow, that's a creepy connotation, self! It's still powdery and nondescript.

Two hours later: Gone. No trace left, even if I hold my arm up to my nose and inhale deeply. I suppose it's just as well, because I wasn't a big fan of this one. Into the swap pile!

Yep, in the imp this is sandalwood and dragon's blood-nothing unexpected here. Sandalwood amps to high heavens on me and dragon's blood isn't my bag, but I never know how a blend will be on my skin!

Yep, pretty much the same on my skin! Dragon's blood and sandalwood-I want to note, the sandalwood is in JUST the right proportion here. Not too strong, not too weak. Really does seem like the perfect combination of the two. Surprisingly, the sandalwood doesn't amp on me!

Full dry down is the same! If you are a fan of Dragon's Blood and Sandalwood, you will have to try this blend!

I keep hoping the Ars Draconis series will like me more, but other than a fantastic leathery romp with Dragon's Hide, this is the only one to smell good on me in the slightest. Dragon's blood is just not a good note on my skin (and I'm still only glancing warily at the Dragon's Blood frimp in my imp box...) but the sandalwood mellows this one out after a while. Gives it a pleasant, dusty flavor. Still not something I'll reach for very often, but encouraging that my Draconis luck may be changing :)

So this time, the dragon's blood resin smells like sweet lilies with a hint of spice.... and a touch of dusty leather. The leather like smell fades as it dries, and the lilies amp up and go soapy on me.

Erm. Not a hit.

This blend is primarily sandalwood with the slightest hint of dragon's blood. The sandalwood is a bit musky and bitter. Not a scent I'd reach for again.

Rating (1-5) - 1.3

Swaps.

Upon first application, it's a very woody scent, with a vague hint of spiciness, and a delightful resinous edge. However, it wears off really quickly, leaving just a very faint blend of sweetness and sandalwood behind. Not a keeper for me.

This definitely has no surprises; sandalwood and dragon's blood the whole way.

The first sniff of the imp was intriguing, soft and sweet with a subtle hidden sharpness. It made me think of a cat's paw, with all the claws sheathed.

Directly on wet, the sharpness really came out more - like the cat suddenly put out all its claws at once and hissed at you. It also smells much more like incense.

After a little while, it turns almost entirely into the scent of burning dragon's blood incense. Aaand... that's it. I get a bit of a woody scent poking back up again at around the half-hour mark, but that quickly goes away again and it turns into just... smoky dragon's blood incense.

It was really disappointing, actually.

Sniffing the imp, it's Dragon's Blood.

On my skin, it's just the dragon's blood initially after application. As it dries, the sandalwood emerges. Goes very spicy once dry on my skin.

In the imp: YOWZA strong dragon's blood

Wet on skin: Still primarily dragon's blood, which I like quite well, but I was hoping for some sandalwood as well.

Dry on skin: Joy! The sandalwood has shown up--actually, I can detect several different sandalwood notes--and they're blending beautifully with the dragon's blood.

I love this once it's dry--the blend of spicy sandalwoods and syrupy dragon's blood is lovely on my skin. And this baby is tenacious; it lasted all day on me and I could still smell it faintly the next morning. This is a win, especially in cooler weather.