Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
coulrophobe

Dragon's Reverie

Opium-laced dreams of flame, plunder, power and fury: dragon’s blood resin, poppy, amber and ylang ylang.

Dragon's Reverie: Almost as good as dragon’s musk, but doesn't wear quite as well. I'd likely buy this, as it is quite good, though not quite as exactly right as Dragon's musk.

When i was much younger, my mother was big into making her own incense, and i remember loving to sniff the dragon's blood. I bought an imp of this based on the memory of my love for the smell, even though i could no longer really remember the smell itself.

In the imp: wow. This smells so good. I sniffed it and the wonder that is dragon's blood came rushing back to me. Nice, lurking sultry smell minged with pretty florals. I was so, so excited by how this smelled in the imp.

On me, wet: for a moment, things were great. Then disaster struck. Something in this (the ylang-ylang, i think-- a great smell, but maybe not one i can do?) rose up and starting screaming a soapy note. Yuuuck.

On me, dry: after about twenty minutes, this dried down on me and the soapy note totally disappeared. Phew. What was left was not anywhere near the smell in the imp, but it was pleasant. Powdery, but with a bit more to it. It actually smelled a lot like my mom used to when i was little. I think she wore a poppy perfume then, so that fits.

Overall: this smells so good in the imp. I'd like to smell this around my house or on someone else. It's really wasted on me, though. Maybe i'll pass it on to my mom.

Also, wanted to add: this was a LONG lasting scent on me. I applied a small wand-dab around 8 p.m. last night and could still smell it, albeit faintly, this morning.

Edited by coldandsleepy

I received this as a frimp in response to having no idea what dragon's blood was supposed to smell like. It's nothing like I expected! I thought it was going to be stronger, maybe overpowering but this blend is lovely. I have sometimes used the incense as a bad descriptor, but in this, it reminds me of Christmas Eve mass where everyone gets dressed up, often putting on perfume, and there would be incense as part of the service. It's a sleepy, but expectant memory, as it reminds me of the anticipation on Christmas Eve as a child.

I will definitely put this in the keeper pile, and I might even buy a bottle depending on how the trials go!

in the bottle: spicy, resinous. like carnation with a touch of clove.

wet on skin: the carnation and the dragon's blood peeps out. (the Lab's Dragon's Blood smells like lilac to me, btw)

dry down: oohhh, this is a heady one! like a combination of lilac, spicy carnation and dark violets. ::swoon::

in all: i'll certainly be wearing THIS one a LOT over this long winter!

:P

at first i really liked this one, then it faded away to something like baby powder. i read the ingredients and the only thing i can think of that would be questionable about this scent is the poppy.

this one i will have to pass on

Dragon's Reverie is nothing like I expected. I don't know what I expected, but not this.

This smells expensive. This smells like expensive, commercial perfume. IT smells like something my mother would have worn to a very debonair dinner party with her lawyer husband and his lawyery friends.

Which is not a slam AT ALL. In fact, quite the opposite. I really REALLY like this.

I'm usually a foody girl, but when I dress up I like to smell sophisticated and sexy. This is definitely that. This isn't goth playing grown up. It isn't head shop with flowers. It's really sophisticated and beautiful.

Gah. Another to add to my evergrowing bottle list. Ay, me.

imp: dragon's blood and amber, so pretty.

wet: the light floraly feel of dragon's blood with my skin's mega-amping of amber has created a scent that is beautiful and bottle-worthy.

dry: sweet, ambery dragon's blood florals. this feels more feminine than the other ars draconis oils i've tried.

I liked Dragon's Reverie. Ive liked every mix of Dragon's Blood from BPAL that Ive tried though. I think it works really well with my chemistry. I like the poppy behind the dragon's blood. Its lovely and mysterious. Its not my favorite in Ars Draconis but its still a good scent. It smells very darkly purple to me, if that makes sense.

Love love love. This one starts out sweet and sharp, drying down to a sexy warm purr of a scent. I think amber is one of my all time favorite notes and the amber in this is right up in front, blowing kisses.

Dragon's Blood and Opium Poppy.

The fragrance is enhanced by a slight touch of amber, and a lovely swirl of ylang ylang. It's fantastic! A keeper.

I'm definitely a fan, I knew I would love it, but still....Smile!! :P

4.4 out of 5

Expectations: I want to like this, as most of the notes are ones I enjoy in incense, but they haven't been working on my skin and amber in particular goes powdery on me.

In vial: Sweet floral. Smells like it really ought to have jasmine or lavender in it.

On skin, wet: Pretty much the same. It's already a tiny bit powdery, but it really works with the rest of the scent.

On skin, dry: A bit chemical, stinging my nose.

After time: 15 minutes turned it into a soft, sweet, slightly watery floral mixture. It smells more like gardenia than anything I've actually tried with gardenia. Great throw. 25 minutes and it's the same. A light, clean scent. Still the same at 45 minutes.

Conclusion: I can't explain why this works on me, but it does. I think I'd prefer to use it in soaps or candles though.

This was (yet another!) generous offering from a friend, and I was anxious to try it. I have no experience with opium/poppy, and the idea of dragon's blood resin toned down by something dreamy and smoky was very intriguing.

In the vial: Dragon's blood resin (in its bright and fruity/floral form) with whiffs of incense or smoke that almost make my nose itch. Not very well blended at all.

On me: Dragon's blood resin is usually very vibrant on my skin, sometimes blood-rich, sometimes a little too sweet or fruity. So I was surprised to find that the DBR here is entirely different—not bright, not sweet, it's toned down and richer, resinous, a deep polished ruby. It's not what I expected to find at the heart of this blend, but I love that it's there. Around it, the other notes are smoky and obscuring, a bit floral, a bit incensy, dark and cloudy but never heavy. Combined, this blend is very evocative but never too complex, still a lovely perfume: it's mysterious, rich, layered, never too busy, too dark, or too strong.

Verdict: Poppy/opium was an entirely new note for me, and at this first whiff I'm quite impressed. It tones down the DBR into sometime completely different, something deeper and more subtle, and it makes for a lovely perfume. I'm not sure how often I'll reach for it, as it is a very specific sort of scent—a bit sultry, very dreamy, still with a deep red heart—but when I'm in that mood, this will be a wonderful imp to have around. I'm glad I got the chance to try it, and it makes me want to add poppy blends to my wishlist.

I like this in the imp. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but it's a pleasant floral. Softer than I expected actually...

On my skin, this is just ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it, it just isn't very special to me. I'm sure there is a perfect Dragon's Blood scent out there for me, this just isn't it.

In the bottle: very strong scent of lilacs and another scent I'm guess is amber, but my virgin nose isn't very good at this yet

On my skin wet: pretty much the same

Dry on teh skin: It mellows down into a powdery amazingness it reminds me of walking around by our lilac bushes in our yard

I like it and I probably wouldn't have tried it on my own I'm glad I got it as a frimp

It's still a strong scent on me and that makes me wonder if I'm going to wear it as a casual scent

In the bottle, this is very spicy-sweet dragon's blood. On my skin, the dragon's blood is joined by that something that is like a good commercial style perfume, of the spicy, woodsy variety. I really wanted to enjoy this alot, but after wearing this for an hour or so, th poppy reared its head and resulted in a headache.

Frimped to me by Tartchef!

Initial thoughts: My first real dragon's blood scent. Ah, dragon's blood - the marmite of the scent world (Civet could possibly give it a run for it's money - but I maintain that civet is the gerkin of the scent world, rather than the marmite). The rest of the notes are all good.

In the imp: Hmm... I don't know what I'm smelling. It's clear, strong and soporific, but other than that I couldn't put a name to anything. I can't even pick out any individual notes.

On the wrist, wet: I still don't know what I'm smelling. I'm getting smoky, I'm getting something that seems... off, but not really unpleasant. This is really odd.

Ten minutes later: Opium soap. Bleh.

Verdict: Swap pile

Tl;Dr: Opium soap.

In the bottle – Ylang-ylang with a slight hint of the amber

Wet on me – A kind of powdery, barely there smokiness with just a hint of ylang-ylang

Dry on me –Warm DBR with sweet amber and a touch of opium

Overall – I love this – sweet but not foody, sensual but not sexy, soft but not girly :P :D

This was a generous frimp from the lab. Thank you!

In the vial: Very sweet, primarily DB and ylang. Oh boy, this scares me a bit... this has the potential to go extremely sweet and bubble-gummy on me...

On me: Once dry, the amber and poppy notes ground the sweetness, adding a smoky incense scent that is irresistible! I can't believe I can wear a scent with dragon's blood, ylang-ylang AND amber in it! Hot damn! :P

Both strength and wear length are decent, so this one is definitely a keeper.

Again, thank you so much, lab - I would have never ordered it, and it was a bull's eye!

I like this :P The dragon's blood doesn't quite smell the same as it seems to in my other scents with it - the other notes temper it - but it's sweet and spicy and very wearable!

it smells unpleasantly like some sort of shampoo/conditioner to me... I think it must be generic/old pantene. As it dries down it takes on the scent of cheap baby wipes on me. I don't see myself wearing it at all, but I wanted it for my guy, so if he likes it he can have it. :P

In the imp, I smell just overpoweringly strong perfume smell of no particular origin. Not really pleasant, but then, most of them aren't in the imp to me.

That strong perfume scent lasted a few minutes after I applied it and I didn't think I was going to like it. Which made me really sad, because I was in love with this scent from the moment I read the description!

After is cooled down, though, it turned into exactly what I was expecting. Kind of a mix between Dagon's Milk and Perversion, two of my other favorite scents. It has the milky sweet dragon's blood smell of Dragon's Milk, but there is something deeper and kind of sexy in there as well.

I'm definitely going to buy a full bottle.

In bottle/imp: Smoky amber above dragon’s blood.

Immediately on skin: The dragon’s blood is the main scent in this… that resinous and slightly floral mix of notes. Over that wafts the poppy which is slightly smoky, and the warm amber. The ylang ylang adds a nice almost creamy note to the background.

After a little while: This sweetens up just a little and the dragon’s blood falls to the background a bit. The other notes seem to bloom; the poppy gets a little more floral and less smoky, the amber warms up a bit more, and the ylang ylang almost smoothes out everything and blends the dragon’s blood in with the rest of the notes.

Overall Impressions: This is a very pretty and almost girly dragon’s blood scent, but it just stops short of smelling overly feminine. The poppy is a subtly sweet but deep floral, and the amber and ylang ylang really warm up this blend and add a nice smooth feeling. The dragon’s blood is the main note in this, but it mostly just gives a nice base to the scent. This is complex, well balanced, and slightly mysterious.

I love the resinous spiciness of some of the Ars Draconis scents, but others turn soapy on me. Sad to say, this one falls into the latter category. It's the ylang-ylang. I can smell its floral soapiness, and the amber, but no poppy :P . Off to swaps for this one. I'm just glad Dragon's Milk smells so heavenly on me!

Edited by tinyvulture

I wasn't sure about this one, but I'd been wanting to try something from Ars Draconis, and Reverie just barely beat out Milk when I was placing my order (not that I remember what pushed it over the edge...)

In the imp: Floral. Sweet floral

Wet: WHOA. FLORAL. Getting the feeling this one may not be for me, but I know better than to give up before bpal scents have had a chance to morph.

Dry down: Still way too floral-sweet for my taste, and for once my skin's not amping amber. I wish it were. When I was little (~ 7-8 y/o), I had this kit where you could make your own nail polish, "perfume," etc., by mixing various components and putting them in the little vials and stuff. I think I remember adding the lilac scent to almost every fragrance I made. I loved it. Reverie is reminding me of that. I don't love it so much any more.

Dry: Finally starting to get a bit of amber glowing through, and it cuts the sweetness some. A couple of hours later, I'm left with a sweet, creamy amber... but I have O for that (and without all the florals to begin with).

I may give this another try in a couple of weeks, but it's not looking like something I'll wear much, if ever. :P

The dragon's blood is very strong here but I also get a big dose of ylang-ylang that's quite pretty. Not quite as sweet as Dragon's Heart, Musk, or Milk but still on the sweet side. Great throw too.