Sign in to follow this  
Melantha

Lotus Moon 2006

"Courage!" he said, and pointed toward the land,
"This mounting wave will roll us shoreward soon."
In the afternoon they came unto a land
In which it seemed always afternoon.
All round the coast the languid air did swoon,
Breathing like one that hath a weary dream.
Full-faced above the valley stood the moon;
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.

A land of streams! some, like a downward smoke,
Slow-dropping veils of thinnest lawn, did go;
And some thro' wavering lights and shadows broke,
Rolling a slumbrous sheet of foam below.
They saw the gleaming river seaward flow
From the inner land: far off, three mountain-tops,
Three silent pinnacles of aged snow,
Stood sunset-flush'd: and, dew'd with showery drops,
Up-clomb the shadowy pine above the woven copse.

The charmed sunset linger'd low adown
In the red West: thro' mountain clefts the dale
Was seen far inland, and the yellow down
Border'd with palm, and many a winding vale
And meadow, set with slender galingale;
A land where all things always seem'd the same!
And round about the keel with faces pale,
Dark faces pale against that rosy flame,
The mild-eyed melancholy Lotos-eaters came.

Branches they bore of that enchanted stem,
Laden with flower and fruit, whereof they gave
To each, but whoso did receive of them,
And taste, to him the gushing of the wave
Far far away did seem to mourn and rave
On alien shores; and if his fellow spake,
His voice was thin, as voices from the grave;
And deep-asleep he seem'd, yet all awake,
And music in his ears his beating heart did make.

They sat them down upon the yellow sand,
Between the sun and moon upon the shore;
And sweet it was to dream of Fatherland,
Of child, and wife, and slave; but evermore
Most weary seem'd the sea, weary the oar,
Weary the wandering fields of barren foam.
Then some one said, "We will return no more";
And all at once they sang, "Our island home
Is far beyond the wave; we will no longer roam."

Soporose and lenitive: opium-laced golden lotus with rich amber, pine resin, and rose otto.

My first first review! *shake*

In the bottle: It's so delicate! I'm a lotus fan, and the lotus here is so soft. It smells like there are fruits there, too, but not overwhelming sweet. Was there peony in the description as well?

Wet: Just as in the bottle. A lovely, delicate scent, a little sweet. I catch wafts of it around me.

Dry: It hasn't really morphed on me at all. It is a true summer scent, and I'm so glad that I got this one!

ETA: I spoke too soon. It did morph on me late in the drydown... becoming a darker, more blended, beautiful scent. Ahhhhh......

edited to add description - clover

In the bottle: Definitely not the wallop of lotus I was expecting - light and herby, with a tinge of lotus lurking around the edges. I don't smell any pine resin or rose - which is actually a bit of a relief to me, as neither of those notes work well with my chemistry.

On: Really quite lovely. The lotus does move to the forefront as it dries down - on me, this is a soft, mild, slightly watery lotus, rather than the strong bubblegummy variety. Very cool and calming.

In the bottle, I got the bubblegum wave, but I have to say that it didn't put me off. The label is all Bollywood and beautiful, and it sort of got me in the mood for a bright, bouncy scent.

On, the sweetness and slight fruitiness still hangs around a little, but with the most gorgeous dusting of golden, slightly spicy light resins. Absolutely sexy, exotic, fun and beautiful. I'm so rocking this scent. Brava!

In the bottle: sweet, slightly herbal.

Wet: There is some of that sweet, bubblegum-type scent from the lotus, but it isn't very strong, or overwhelming. In fact, it's barely there. There's a hint of the resin now.

Drydown: This is not what I was expecting at all! It's rich & resinous, with a hint of spice. Now this is opium that I can wear. The resins blend marvelously with the other notes and create a really sophisticated, amazing blend.

In the bottle: A sweet, delicate lotus lightly tinged with a faint herbal note -- the pine resin?

On my skin: Sweet and golden, no bubblegum yet. Not really detecting the pine resin or rose otto yet at first either, but as time wears on, I start to pick up a very faint soapy scent -- the route rose of just about any stripe goes on me. Until then, it's a happyfun summer scent.

Later on: Glad I didn't take rubbing alcohol to this one yet since the soap is mostly gone and replaced with something with a spicier edge! The sweetness of the lotus has also died down as the resins come to the foreground.

Sweeter than I expected it would be, and very pretty. It smells a bit perfumey to me, and golden. The amber blends very well with the lotus. Lovely.

This is an unexpected surprise -- I didn't think I'd like it this much. Now I'm glad that I panicked and ordered a second bottle in a second order.

Also I love the label. :P

in the bottle:herbal, lotus, and rose.

wet: resionous, herbal, slightly sharp. really getting the pine now.

as it dries it softens a bit and the sharpness all but disappears, there is a hint of lotus, but it isn't overwhelmingly bubblegummy. i bleieve the opium and amber are grounding the bubblegummy type note. i still get quite a bit of rose, but that isn't surprising, my chemistry usually amps up rose.

final thoughts ala jerry springer: i am not surprised beth went a completely surprising direction. while this could have been the perfect opportunity to go omg bubbalicious she chose to show me exactly how lotus can be used and still have a grownup, resinous scent. this blend is a fabulous representation of just that. a grown up lotus blend that doesn't scream bazooka at all. i am glad i went against my initial plans and ordered more then one bottle. i will definitely wear this as a summer girly scent.

Okay. Wow this is one of those scents. The ones you expect to go one way, but end up completely different.

Lotus on my skin = bubblegum. But I'm a huge fan of pine resin and amber so I decided to pick up a bottle.

In the bottle: lotus, lotus and more lotus. Nothing else. It smells like bubblegum to my nose.

Wet: Bubblegum. I get the typical lotus presentation on my skin and end up taking small sniffs of it to see if it'll change.

And oh boy does it. The lotus gets tamed by the pine resin and amber and becomes this almost spicy, smokey scent that's just so sexy. I'm so amazed by this scent. I never expected lotus to smell like this. This proves yet again how amazingly talented Beth is at her craft. :P

av_lotus01.jpg

The aroma rises from the bottle very sweet - but not in a sugary way, so I personally don't find it to be 'bubble gum'...more like a big ripe Summer fruit salad. I smell some floral and a hint of resin lurking in the shadows...but right now it's all about the hot fun in the Summertime.

It eases into the skin like a lazy afternoon when it's time to kick back, cool off and get ready to go out on the town as soon as the Sun goes down. But just because the night air might feel cooler, that doesn't mean that things aren't about to heat up. Wow! The transition is nothing short of mesmerizing. My wrist barely left my nose for a good 1/2 hour. (is super glue a secret ingredient?) And it continues to be wonderful, but it took me about that long to regain the presence of mind to shake the narcotic stupor and drag my arm up off my face.

After a couple of hours it drifts gradually into a light but extremely present dusting of amber and faded rose...sigh...with just the slightest memory of the Sweet Sunshine.

How glad am I that I have a bottle of this?

Oh yeah...Pretty Damn!!!

5/5

I can't stop sniffing my wrists.

This is quite unique and so, so pretty.

It definitely smelled of bubblegum lotus in the bottle, which I happen to like just fine, but bubblegum haters need not fear, because this instantly morphs into something warm and feminine and sophisticated.

The opium stands out the most for me, and combines perfectly with the sweetness of the lotus. The other components are very subtle; I catch just a suggestion of rose and amber, and maybe they help the pine behave, because it's a really lovely pine note--not a sharp, Pine-Sol one, but a soft resin instead.

I have a feeling this will be like Sleepy Moon, where the more I wear it, the more it grows on me. I already like it a whole lot, but it has such depth and complexity that I feel like I'm only just beginning to fully appreciate it.

Well done, Beth :P

Lotus Moon, was the second lunacy that I purchased when I haven't even received my first one. I was hesitant but after hearing about it being the same note in Bastet I decided to take the plunge. Boy am I glad that I did,

I don't know how a blend could be so...thought provoking. I use that term in seriousness to describe the oil because from the bottle to my nose, the resins and the pines with the rose and the hint of lotus seems to be almost....zen, to say the least. It put me at ease, there was a tinge of my archnemsis opium giving me a slight headache but I prayed to let it behave.

Upon my skin it blossoms, litterally. The opium melds with the Lotus letting the resins and the rose take center stage. As it dries down the rose and the lotus mix now into this warm, almost golden scent. I don't know how to describe it except that it's gorgeous.

I'm glad I offered to get a bottle before it was let down, I feel truly at zen with Lotus moon.

Lotus Moon is so interesting and lovely in the bottle. It has an intoxicating bubblegummy sweetness mixed with a spicy greenery that is the pine resin. It smells somewhat edible. I was in love with it.

I was worried about buying a bottle of this one, because opium gives me vicious migraines (as in Stardust or Opium Poppy) and amber can sometimes smell off on me, but I adore lotus and pine notes.

So, of course, on my skin this is allll opium. The opium completely devours the beautiful lotus and pine :P. Opium smells like the cheapest and most horrible hairspray from the 80's, so sharp and metallic that it makes me feel like I'm getting a nosebleed. I waited it out for over an hour, but this may as well be evil opium singlenote on my skin. I have such a bad migraine now, even after washing it off, and I feel heartbroken.

For almost a year now I've been eagerly awaiting Lotus Moon, because it's one of the only florals that I love. It was my most highly anticipated and longed for lunar blend on the preview. And it smells so good in the bottle, but so horrible on me, thanks to the addition of opium. This is so crushingly disappointing :D

In the Bottle: Musky floral. Nothing in particular stands out.

On Application: Mmmm, smoky pine, but not Pine Sol type pine. Very real and earthy. Earthy floral, very soft. After a minute or so, I can smell rose come out. There's still a note that to my nose says 'musk'. I'm so very much hoping the florals don't turn cloying like they tend to do.

On Drydown: Oh, this has turned out beautifully. The floral has tamed down quite a bit. It's very faint, and not heady at all. The warmth richness of amber is starting to glow nicely now, accented by a very faint smokiness, and a very, very faint pine, but as before, not at all like Pine Sol, or even Christmas trees. Most like the pine you get when you're standing amongst lots of non-spruce pine trees.

Comments: I really like this a lot. I'm glad I got a couple bottles. It's definitely a 'me' scent.

Verdict: Hoard!

Bottle: sweet opium and lotus.

Wet: same, possibly sweeter. :D And sharp.

Dry: same, with an almost-plasticky, er, something going on.

Later: I admit I was a little concerned about the opium but threw caution to the wind... :P This, very clearly, Does Not Like Me.

In Bottle: Pure bubblegum lotus

On Skin: I knew what to expect with this one. Lotus always turns right to bubblegum on me. While I like it, I like it in small doses. So many BPAL scents rich in lotus just seem a little too girly for me since they are so bubblegummy. But this one turns much more womanly. After the scent settles in, I get a soft and powdery soapy note. Very light and feminine. The amber is so deep and velvety, but not dark, more golden than anything. The pine resin is thankfully not piney at all, just a nice slight fresh wood that is adding to the soapyness, along with the rose otto. I get a golden pink tone from this scent. The bubblegummyness leaves alltogether. I like this scent, but am content with my one bottle. I don’t get any of the lunar oils in this scent either… were they put in? They usually have their trademark creamyness. Overall the sweeteness of this scent gives into the sharpness, so if you’re scared of it being sickly sweet… don’t worry and give it a try. A very light throw and short wearlength.

It's taken me all day to try to figure out how to describe Lotus Moon and I'm still not sure, but here goes...

First, a little about me and lotus: it ruins blends for me. It smells like little banana candies to me...like the ones in a pack of Runts. And in my mind it is always a large, pink, blobby shape that eclipses everything else. That's the story of me and lotus. Opium is also iffy, since opium poppy turns out to be the awful nail polish remover scent that I dread.

So, aside from my fears about those notes, let me just tell you how much I love pine resin, rose otto and amber. A lot. And what do I smell in Lotus Moon? I don't know, but it's wonderful -- and there's no pink blobby lotus hovering like a malevolent jellyfish in the corner of my vision and no opium screeching across like nails (with the polish freshly-removed) on a chalkboard.

I smell a wonderful soft fresh clean resin, something like that pure sap scent I get when I smear the resin from a pinecone onto my skin, but also something that just clears the air with a pale green, almost aquatic breeze. The rose otto seems to incorporate very well, so I don't really smell rose, but a sort of incensy hint of it. Amber sort of ties it all together but doesn't reveal itself as an individual note.

Refreshing but soft and comforting, is what I'd say about Lotus Moon. The lotus itself only bobs along faintly in the distance like a pink will-o-wisp on the edge of the pine forest, hovering over clear green waters. I'm glad I took a chance on it and I like it so far. There's a little bit of a piercing headache note in there for a moment, which might be opium, might be rose, but it fades before it bothers me. What a surprise -- I never expected to like a lotus blend!

Lotus Moon is a very simple, but beautiful floral blend. The lotus is light, soft and sweet, as lotus usually is. It's also lightly golden and slightly resinous -- enough so that I think this one is going to age beautifully. I don't smell the pine or rose at all, which really surprises me. However, what surprises me the most is how the lunar oil in this blend is by far the predominant note and makes me realize that is what gives some of the lunar blends their highly "perfumey" quality. It's beautiful and has amazing throw when it's wet, but as with all the lunar blends, it sticks very close to my skin upon drydown, and disappears within an hour. It's very pretty, but I'm just not sure if I'm going to find myself drawn to it often or not. While it's pretty, it doesn't stand out for me the way many other BPALs do. I may just set it aside and try it again once it's had a chance to get a little richer with age.

The lotus is sweet with only a tiny little bit of a bubblegum smell. I can get the pine but it doesn't overpower the delicate lotus scent. And the amber is close behind the pine. This is much more herbal than I expected but still a lovely blend.

Edited by Eunice_Branca

in bottle: Hmm. I think I'm going to be one of the people who gets bubblegum from the lab's lotus note.

Wet: dang, I was right, Bubblegum. but hope springs eternal, its already backing off into the backround.

Drydown: Bubblegum smell is still present but keeping itself back. I get some light florals but no opium or pine as of yet.

Dry: There is the faintest wisp of pine from behind the florals and of course the ever pink presence of bubblegum.

while I don't dislike this I think it may be way to girly/happy for me. It reminds me of watching my little ponies. Rainbows, plastic, and insanely cheerful music.

this is probably going to be a swap.

Honestly, I hardly know where to start with this one. It's almost nothing like I expected it to be (other than expecting to be happy that I was able to order a bottle).

To me, it smells like very expensive unisex cologne in the bottle. I can't really pick out notes although the pine/woodiness of it makes me think of more masculine fragrances.

My chemistry is such that frequently these unisex scents work great for me so I wasn't unhappy with that feeling. There's a real richness to this even in the bottle, it proclaims loud and clear that this isn't any storebought, alcohol laden concoction, thank you very much.

Wet. Still getting the expensive unisex vibe with a bit of somethng sweeter. I've had lotus fragrances smell like juicy fruit gum but this is not one of those. It's luxury in a bottle.

Dry. Everything warms and continues to get richer and richer. It never goes too far into woodiness but the same sort of comforting "sheltered warmth" feeling that you get in the summer under pine trees is in here plus so much more. This one's simply an exquisite example of Beth's art. Now I've got to to track down another bottle if at all possible.

:P

In the imp: Bubble yum. There was a little herbal undertone, but mainly this was straight up bubble blowing, cracking, pink bubble gum.

Wet on skin: Bubble yum and soap. The rose otto immediately rises up with the lotus and announces its presence. "I am rose. I am here. Deal with it."

Early Dry Down: This gets more and more floral on me as it dries. The lotus has toned itself a bit, and is now just sweet rather than bubble gum sweet. The rose is an herbal, assertive rose...like smelling the tight buds of the bush rather than a ripe bloom. There's something green underneath it all which lends body, but also adds to the soapy smell.

Late dry down: By the time this has been on my wrists an hour, it's plain old floral soap.

In the bottle and wet on my skin the first note I get is an eye watering pine resin along with a hint of sickly sweet lotus. No bubblegum here.

Drying down, and the pine resin is starting to fade. It is still the most overbearing note in this whole mix but at least it is fading!

Completely dried down and oh how beautiful this has become! It is a beautiful sweet, almost sugared lotus.The pine resin no longer sticks out like a sore thumb. The rose otto and pine resin give it a wonderful and unusual base. All of this nested on a bed of a wonderful, warm, rich amber.

Conclusion? I am so glad I just didn't give up after smelling that pine note so prominent at first. Lotus moon is a seductive warm scent. It is more on the perfume-y side and I feel like Lotus Moon is a perfect dress up scent. Good throw, awesome wear also!

Oh how sweet- opium and light airy lotus. I agree with the comment that it definitely is not a big 'hit' of lotus, it is more like a subtle waft of gentle lotus tempered just a bit by the opium. On me, this is pretty consistent from application to drydown, and the scent mellows just a bit. This is really lovely; and in true BPAL fashion, it is not what I expected, but gorgeous all the same!

This is a sexy, womanly scent. The pine is just enough to lend an herbal and almost spicy note. I'd imagine its the Amber that keeps the Pine from being to harsh or overbearing. The Opium Poppy wraps itself around the Lotus & Rose Otto.

Lovely.

first and foremost the label on this is just gorgeous :P

straight sniff from bottle is piney, sweet floral...

once applied this turns into mostly amber and rose...the amber

note gets stronger and stronger with time and all but overtakes

the lotus and rose...a very gorgeous blend for the right woman

indeed :D