Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Melantha

Lotus Moon 2006

Soporose and lenitive: opium-laced golden lotus with rich amber, pine resin, and rose otto.

This is absolutely gorgeous. I remember it being nice when I first got it, but this is just outstanding. I think that age has really been kind to this scent.

It’s soft, sweet, smooth, golden pink smelling. The lotus is most prominent, but along with the lotus is the opium and amber. As it wears I think the amber and opium are getting stronger and more distinct. This reminds me of Emathides in a way. I can’t describe how exactly. Perhaps the amber. I think that both scents are very full and rich in body and that’s why I’m thinking of Emathides (because they really don’t smell anything alike). I don’t get any of the pine.

Every time I wear this I’m blown away by what a great scent it is. I would be happy with a 2nd bottle of this one.

in the imp: something sweet, and syrupy without being foodie in the slightest. i know that's vagues, but at this stage, it's the best i can do.

wet on skin: something a bit citrus-y comes out, i'm thinking it might be the pine, actually. it's nice, gives the blend a balanced feel.

dry down: the pine settles, the amber comes out more, but something is off. is it the lotus? i don't have much experience with lotus, so that may be it :D

in all: for whatever cruel reason, this has turned to play-doh soaked in perfume on me :P well, off to swap!

ADDED 4/16/09:

in the bottle:sweet, fruity lotus. very "wet" without being at all watery, if that makes sense...

wet on skin: much of the same, but perhaps the opium is slinking around deep in the back ground?

dry down: yup, it's stayed true. mostly lotus and a hint of opium.

in all: this might be a bit too sweet for me, but i'm going to wait until the weather warms up a bit more, as i have a feeling this could be perfect for late spring or early summer evenings...

Expectations: Napping under a Christmas tree decorated with flower petals.

In vial: Soft, light florals. The pine isn't as overwhelming and sharp as I feared.

On skin, wet: Instant morphing into amber and pine. Mostly amber.

On skin, dry: Mostly amber, starting to go a tiny bit powdery. I detect a hint of the lotus now, which is slightly pine-tinged. I've yet to smell any opium in this. Whoa, and I sniffed from a different angle and got a whiff of rose.

After time: I'm not sure exactly how long it's been, since my browser crashed and I lost the time that this review was started (but not the review itself). I'd estimate about 45 minutes though. At this point, I'm getting a very faint scent, kind of wet and green. The lotus seems to be dominating.

Conclusion: This is better than I thought it would be, but isn't quite my kind of scent. The warmth of the opium and amber contrast the cool wetness of the lotus and rose, and I'm rarely a fan of such contrasts.

In Vial: Lightly spicey

Wet: Smells of roots and wood, but mellow.

Dry: This is even softer now but still woody and mildly spicey

lotus on me is usually exuberantly sweet and fruity, leading me to describe most lotus blends as “kool-aid scented” or “something a child would wear.”

but that’s not the case here! this lotus is soft, understated, dare i say sophisticated. the strong and smoky opium is the real star of the show, supported by crisp pine resin. i don’t notice the rose or amber. this reminds me of a commercial perfume i’ve smelled before, only much better done, of course. mysterious, exotic, grown-up. it has a nice throw, too.

The lotus note in my decant is very faint and powdery, I'm not sure how age has affected this floral.

There is an overall fresh sweetness to this scent, with a woody undertone.

It's a classically blended perfume, and as such, isn't doing much to stand out to me.

I will pass it along to a more loving home.

3.2 out of 5

Imp: Opium-y lotus. I get a teensy hint of rose and pine.

Wet: LOOOOOOOOOOOTUUUUUS! It does as it is want to do. Bubblegummy. But there's something behind it sort of winding up and there it is--opium! I do love the opium (does that sound scandalous?) The opium is really beautiful and warm in this, it wrangles the lotus and lets the pine and rose sort of peek out.

Dry: Beautiful. Lotus is the dominant note but it's not bubblegummy or cloying. The whole scent comes together beautifully and smells very serene and elegant. Most of my lunacies, I can't distinguish the notes and that's true for this one as well. It's just a very beautiful, feminine perfume.

Throw: Good. The throw is sweeter and more "pink" than the up close scent.

Overall: I'm not going to bankrupt myself seeking it out, but if I see it, I definitely wouldn't mind a bottle. A great lotus scent, especially for those of us who don't always deal well with lotus.

With the lotus, I really expected more of a pinker, bubblegum scent, but definitely not. The opium adds a smokiness to it and the amber is just beautiful. Luckily the pine resin just adds a faint greeness to the mix and I'm not getting much of the rose otto.

This so well blended and wonderfully done, though I'm not sure it's me. The label is also one of the prettiest I've seen.

Wet: Creamy opium and something sharp - maybe the pine resin.

First on: The same but somehow sharper.

Dry: Sharper, sweeter but still creamy lotus.

I have to say that this must be the first lotus blend... ever not to go bubblegum pop on me. On wet, the resinous base actually kinda reminded me to Voodoo Queen... as it dries though I get more of a sweet amber and a hint of green.

Not my kind of blend... but hey, at least it wasn't just straight up bubblegum!

To start, let me just say that my boyfriend says that this smells, "like ninjas! It's beautiful and dangerous, like a female assassin." That's pretty much my assessment, too. I am so glad that I gambled on this one and bought a bottle unsniffed. Lotuses are my favorite flowers after all! This, however, is not your average lotus blossom fragrance...this is lotuses with opium smoke and incense and international intrigue! Definite win! :wub2:

In the bottle, it's very light, but once I put it on - Bam!! It's opium/rose!!

(This is an interesting development, because when I first purchased this bottle, it was all lotus on me.)

As it starts to dry down, I am feeling the lotus sitting around the corner. It's very nice because it calms the opiumy rose down. I'm not picking up on much pine. I adore the labs pine note too.

A bit later - aha!! The opium is fading to the background (but is still present). So now, it's a very perfumy rose, with a touch of lotus, and the smokeyness of opium jazzing things up.

All in all, it's a very complex scent! I am happy I never swapped this away!!! It will be lovely to wear during the warmer months.

In the vial this is a rich, sweet and almost bubblegum-like scent that makes it hard to detect any specific notes - it's delightful, syrupy and juicy. On my skin it becomes less bubblegum-like, and a more complex blend, though it still remains sweet there is a note of something darker and more edgy coming through. After a few hours it becomes a sweet amber filled with a softer version of its former juiciness.

Wow! This scent was tonight's surprise winner! I have no idea why I held onto it this long... I got it direct from the lab when it first came out (which I can now see is 3 1/2 years ago!), and tried it a few times. Each time the lotus note had been overly aggressive bright pink bubblegum dominating everything else. Tonight though I tried again -- and it's gorgeous! The lotus was aggressive and pushy for about 3-5 minutes and then settled down in to one small note among many, for a final result that reminds me of a more ambery & non-foody gingerbread poppet. It's GREAT. I love gourmand scents, but hate when they go outright foody and this has become absolutely LOVELY.

This is lotus? This is nothing like the bubblegum sweetness that lotus usually turns into on me. I have no idea what it was like when fresh from the lab, but I do like the way it is now. This is a soft, understated scent that's only slightly sweet. Not foody, not floral, not spicy. Just pretty. This is mainly a skin scent for me; there's a tiny bit of throw, but it's a whisper more than anything. It's a scent for when I want to smell pretty without wearing perfume. I won't go searching, but if a bottle happened to fall in my lap I'd give it a loving home :)

Sweet, light slightly watery floral. This is actually quite nice. Not something I would wear everyday....but it is quite nice. :D

Soporose and lenitive: opium-laced golden lotus with rich amber, pine resin, and rose otto.

In the bottle: kind of a sharp scent, a cross between floral and fennel - which I think is actually the pine resin.

Wet on skin: same as before

Dried down: ok, I'm losing some of the fennel now. It's just a very strong floral. I think I can detect the rose otto note - I'm figuring what's left is the opium-laced lotus, but I kind of wish I could smell it on it's own. I'm not sure if I'm getting any of the amber, or I'm just not picking it out properly.

Throw: there's a very pleasant scent emanating from my wrists, and I don't have to hold them up close to smell it.

Verdict: **** I like this a lot, but it isn't perfect for me (which is a little disappointing, since I've always felt kind of connected to lotuses, at least visually. I've never had the chance to smell them before. I may try out some other lotus scents, and hopefully some single notes, but I don't think I'll be searching out another bottle of this one.

I just got this in a swap, and my jury is still out on it.

It's definitely different, in a good way!

You have two warm notes, and two cool notes. I don't really get much of the amber, but maybe it is what helps calm the lotus. I was expecting that really sweet lotus note like from black lotus, but nope! It hints at it, that yes there is lotus here, but the pine and rose otto cool it off to calm it down. Definitely get that pine there, which is almost a peppery kind of pine.

It is very pretty, I just am having a hard time deciding how much I like it!

Received a decant of this. I feel so blessed!  The sweet opium & lotus has a liquorice smell almost. I get amber & pine resin next. Finally, the rose otto amps the opium & they blossom after everything else fades. I wish I could get a full bottle of this now.