Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Cariad

dragon's blood recommendations...?

(I hope this is in the right place - it's my first post...)

I'm a bpal virgin, lured over by a recommendation from the Lush forum and seduced by the descriptions of the scents :P . I love the sound of dragon's blood perfumes, but I'm not sure which one to go for...

I like the sound of Dragon's Heart (just for the name!) but I'm pretty inexperienced with 'musky' perfumes and the red + black musks sound quite strong (is that my imagination?). Dragon's Bone sounds interesting as well, though I'm not too sure about the 'dryness' of it. There are probably loads of blends which I have missed as well...

I like most perfumes with a bit of intrigue, perhaps a bit of spice; preferably nothing too foody or sweet (although B Never's Love and Keep It Fluffy are both good on me).

Other blends I was thinking of trying: Bathsheba (again with the red musk), Nuit, Vixen and Santa Eularia (just because I love the mediterranean...)

Thank you!

Cariad x

There aren't too many in the Ars Draconis list... so maybe just get them all in one big imp pack? ETA: There's 8 of them. That's one imp pack, and then 4 spots left for those other 4 you mentioned :P

Personally I like Dragon's Blood. Straight. Nothing else.. I would start there and then branch out. Dragon's Blood is awful soapy but I *like* soapy... so...

ETA:

Anyway, from the descriptions: Heart is warm and spicy (sounds up your alley from what you said), Milk is smooth and sweet (it says it has vanilla and honey?), Tears is aquatic, Bone is dry (which in my experience w/BPAL means it's woodsy but not mossy/earth/dirt), Musk is self explanatory, Hide sounds warm and deep (again might be up your alley) and Eye is floral.

Red and Black musks are stronger than White... I like white but not the other two. I don't wear really heavy scents though (unless you count that obsession w/Samhain 04).

Edited by evanesce

Hi Cariad!

Dragon's blood is one of my favorites--I could easliy wear it as a single note. There's a lot of really nice blends with it, so I'll just name a few you might like off the top of my head:

Dragon's Bone is really pretty and more subtle (I think) than some of the other Ars Draconis scents. The dragon's blood keeps it from being too dry. It might be my favorite.

Red musk is kind of intense, but works so well with DB--Dragon's Heart is definitely worth trying, Bloodlust is pretty sexy with the vetiver as well (and just a hint of spice), and if you're really into spice, you might want to try Wrath.

Blood Amber is gorgeous, and Blood Rose is another favorite of mine--the wine and the rose are perfect.

I'm not much of a gourmand either, but I do love Dragon's Milk--again, the DB saves it from being too foody, but you might find it too sweet. Worth a try maybe.

Hope that helps--welcome to BPAL and the forum :P

ooh - loving the sound of Blood Rose, thanks!

it's so easy to miss so many lovely oils on this site :P

Actully there are 10 in the Ars Draconis collection so two imp packs and 2 left over. My absolute favorite is Dragon Musk and second is Dragons Milk. I hope Beth adds more to this series soon. :P

dragon's musk is pretty strong imho

i absolutely agree that straight up dragon's blood is one the best things in the universe

and i think you should try it first :P

it's sweet yet not foody and grounded and strong and sorta spicey but not really and both earthy yet flowery yet none of the above ha

and if you don't like db, straight, you prolly won't like any of the others

for reference, all musks are different. i thought i'd love red musk but i actually am not so into it, on me. all blends with it are sorta funktified.

Actully there are 10 in the Ars Draconis collection so two imp packs and 2 left over. My absolute favorite is Dragon Musk and second is Dragons Milk. I hope Beth adds more to this series soon. :D

:P

I just used the reviews section (I don't browse the BPAL site at work... for obv reasons :D)

Black musk can be a lot of fun :P. It may sound scary (especially if you look at the reviews) but if it suits your skin, it's divine. Red musk suits a *lot* of people very well, which is why red musk scents have so many glowing reviews. I actually haven't tried it yet. White musk is very wearable for a lot of people as well.

There are so many BPAL musks that it's worth playing around with 'em.

Kalli

hmm...thanks for the advice! I'm going to take the plunge and order some Dragon's Heart from the Apothercary's Cat. By the time the next big order from Britain comes around I should have saved up enough for a stash of imps, and then some... :P

I've been curious about trying Dragon's Claw, but noticed there are no reviews of it. Does anyone have a clue why that is? Is it fairly new? I would think a sandalwood fragrance would be fairly popular.

I've been curious about trying Dragon's Claw, but noticed there are no reviews of it. Does anyone have a clue why that is? Is it fairly new? I would think a sandalwood fragrance would be fairly popular.

Yes, it's a newer scent. I've got an imp on order myself -- it sounds wonderful.

My favorite Dragon's Blood blends are Dragon's Musk and Dragon's Milk. Dragon's Heart and Dragon's Hide are nice as well, as is French Love (I feel certain there's some Dragon's Blood in that blend!).

Dragon's Milk to me just felt like an even sweeter Dragon's Blood. I like it straight up, but sometimes it's a little too sweet. My sis swapped me an imp of Dragon's Musk and I like it because the musk tones down the sweetness a little. I should try Dragon's Hide though from what you guys are saying. Maybe in my next batch-o-samples!

I'd go with Dragon's Musk it is my second favorite after Dragon's Milk...and I need to get Dragon's Heart, cause that also sounds really good.

eta - grammar, I can has it

Edited by Maroon

I've recently fallen HARD for Dragon's Milk & Dragon's Heart. Any recs as to which Ars Draconis oil I should try next?

Dragon's Hide. Leather, smoke, dragon's blood. It is drop dead sexy and definitely in that smoky/gritty/vetivier-y range of scents. Absolutely glorious.

Well I just tried Dragon's Musk. There is no way I would have ordered this off the description but lets just say the universe arranged for this one to fall at my doorstep, in a 5ml. Ever adventurous I slathered it on anyway. Oh my! I had no idea musk was such a glorious scent and pinched in there with DB, it's to die for. I am a die-hard light florals with touch of sweet only kinda gal....edit that. I used to be that gal. But I LOVE swimming in the sea of deliciousness which is Dragons Musk.

I am also one afraid of anything called "dark musk" but this is heaven and on me becomes sweet, exotic and yes very sexy. Who would have thought? Not only will I buy anything with DB in it, but also I'm going for the heavy musks too. They last on me! DB IS the spice I can wear, whereas actual spice I find too cloying.

:wub2:

I'm also going to order Dragon's Claw unsniffed from the lab, I would love a bone dry DB scent.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Glad to hear Dragon's Musk worked out so well for you, HK! That's one of my all-time favorites -- I've gone through several bottles. It smells so rich, sweet, warm and musky...kind of decadent and "fuzzy." The only way to improve on it would be to come out with layering products -- a Dragon's Musk body cream, soap or shower gel...or candle...yes, I can dream! :P

I wore it Saturday and got several compliments.

Glad to hear Dragon's Musk worked out so well for you, HK! That's one of my all-time favorites -- I've gone through several bottles. It smells so rich, sweet, warm and musky...kind of decadent and "fuzzy." The only way to improve on it would be to come out with layering products -- a Dragon's Musk body cream, soap or shower gel...or candle...yes, I can dream! :P

I'd love a DM Yule scent or lunacy....yes I can dream too. ^_^

My fave is dragon musk its so exotic smelling :D I have an imp of dragons milk but I often find it too sweet :s

I quite enjoy dragon moon 08 and blood (I think ths just called bloodlol) coz I lurve cherry!

I'd love a DM Yule scent or lunacy....yes I can dream too. ^_^

Have you looked into Dragon Moon '08? :) It may be findable on the sales forum . . .

Just wanted to revive this thread because I've recently discovered I actually like Dragon's Blood A LOT.

After initially trying Dragon's Milk I was turned off on dragon's blood in general because Dragon's Milk was SO sweet and syrupy on me. It was also ridiculously floral at first. After a little aging it isn't quite so floral anymore and better blended, but it is STILL far too sweet for my liking.

I did however try Tintagel the other day and I absolutely adore it, but dragon's blood is quite prominent in it which confused my nose. It is more of a spicy DB though with some nice dry woods thrown in and a deepness from a touch of leather and a slight sweetness from the wine. I really love it.

SO. I was wondering if there are any other DB scents that I should try? I'm not a fan of super florals, but I do like light and crisp ones (violet, orchid, poppy, carnation, night-blooming flowers, lotus and such). Woods are nice too, but I tend to stay away from overly HOT blends like ones with nuts (aside from almond, I LOVE almond). Fruit is good, astringent is bad (I don't like it when a blend pierces my nose). I really like dry scents as well (like hellfire). Aquatics work well on me too, as do musks and tea blends! Coconut is iffy as is rum and anything overly boozy. I can't say I love cherry. Vetiver is good as long as it isn't dominant, and I LOVE BEESWAX and vanilla and milk and creamy and foody blends. Anything sugared though has the potential to be WAY too sweet on me (my skin just amps it).

I don't know if that helped a lot... but there it is! I would really appreciate some help :)

I actually got a frimp of Dragon's Bone today and it's quite interesting. It's very dragon's blood when wet, but it gradually dies down into a sweet, spicy dry wood. Might be worth a try for you.

Just wanted to revive this thread because I've recently discovered I actually like Dragon's Blood A LOT.

After initially trying Dragon's Milk I was turned off on dragon's blood in general because Dragon's Milk was SO sweet and syrupy on me. It was also ridiculously floral at first. After a little aging it isn't quite so floral anymore and better blended, but it is STILL far too sweet for my liking.

I did however try Tintagel the other day and I absolutely adore it, but dragon's blood is quite prominent in it which confused my nose. It is more of a spicy DB though with some nice dry woods thrown in and a deepness from a touch of leather and a slight sweetness from the wine. I really love it.

SO. I was wondering if there are any other DB scents that I should try? I'm not a fan of super florals, but I do like light and crisp ones (violet, orchid, poppy, carnation, night-blooming flowers, lotus and such). Woods are nice too, but I tend to stay away from overly HOT blends like ones with nuts (aside from almond, I LOVE almond). Fruit is good, astringent is bad (I don't like it when a blend pierces my nose). I really like dry scents as well (like hellfire). Aquatics work well on me too, as do musks and tea blends! Coconut is iffy as is rum and anything overly boozy. I can't say I love cherry. Vetiver is good as long as it isn't dominant, and I LOVE BEESWAX and vanilla and milk and creamy and foody blends. Anything sugared though has the potential to be WAY too sweet on me (my skin just amps it).

I don't know if that helped a lot... but there it is! I would really appreciate some help :)

If apple is one of the fruits that works well on you, definitely give Ladon a try. It's beautiful and works well in all seasons.

Kenjari - The Hesperides wasn't all that great on me so I don't know if apple works or not, BUT I didn't get much of an apples smell from the Hesperides anyway. I'll have to give Ladon a try!

Skyelyric - Dragon's bone was on my list of things to try and has now been bumped higher on the list!

If you like spicy and can find any, Tanin'iver! To/on me, it's very similar to Phantom Calliope, although PC is a bit fruitier, and the cardamom makes it kind of pop. Tanin'iver is pretty much the only thing I handle myrrh and smoke in (Dragon's Hide makes me kind of queasy, although that may be the leather, another of my problem notes). I don't know how easy it is to find, though, because I got a bottle when the discontinuation was announced and haven't tried to find any more.