Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

saturnalia

Unrestrained revelry, unchained licentiousness! Violet deepened with vetiver.

at first: wow. i don't like this. i think the combination of violet and vetiver don't work for my nose.

on: gross. seriously. it just smells bad.

1 hour later: i still don't smell any violet in this. it isn't as offensive as it was when i first put it on, but it still isn't good on me

2 hours later: this reminds me of leaves or something right now.

3 hours later: smells generally wood-like on me now.

overall: this is so not for me. i wish i could smell the violet, but i couldn't. oh, well.

this is such a heavy scent. i ordered it in my first order, because i was so intrigued by the discription and love violet. out of the bottle, i was taken aback by how strong it was.

on my skin, i cant smell violet at all. it must be the vetivert that smells so musty and dank on me, but also sharp. i've tried it three times now, and just can't do it. i'm constantly wishing i was wearing something else.

Edited by gdogs

Saturnalia is one of the scents I tried in my quest for the perfect violet blend. I was a little worried about the vetiver, which usually doesn't like me, but I gave it a try anyway.

In the imp, the vetiver made its presence known quite forcefully, as is usually the case. The violet note smells lovely though.

As soon as I applied it, Saturnalia turned into a very dark, earthy masculine scent. The poor violet is completely overpowered by the raging vetiver. This ended up being much too bitter for me to wear and I had to wash it off.

On me, this smells like the less twisted form of Bluebeard. (not surprising that they're both blends with violet and vetivert)

Unfortunately, on me, just like with Bluebeard, the violet pulls out in front, gets all coy and sweet, and throws the whole scent off balance.

I tried this without checking the composition which was a bad move as the lab's violet seems to hate me.

This is the third scent with violet I've tried and they've all been awful on me. This time I'm getting stale rotten nuts with a side of soapiness - I'll have to pass this one on.

Wow, this might be one of the strongest negative reactions I've had to any of BPAL's oils. I also put it on without checking the notes because a friend said she'd read that it might smell like Lush's Silky Underwear, but eeeeep this hates me. It smells like crushed peppercorns and dirt on me. I'm getting very nervous about violet in the oils now because I've found none of them with it in their that will work on me. It makes me sad because I so love Lush's Bathos. Another bad thing about Saturanalia (to me) is that it is not going away. I've washed, I've scrubbed and it will not fade. Not even slightly. I wish some of the other oils that I love had this much staying power.

Wow, what a strange combination of notes, but they blend so well together. I'm not a fan of either one, so I knew I probably wouldn't want a bottle of it, but there's no reason not to try it on, right?

I thought the vetiver in Blood Kiss was strong..WOW. This is singe-off-some-nosehairs strong. I can now say with a fair amount of certainty that my skin loves vetiver (I wish it would eat it instead, though.) I smell a faint hint of violets. This is indeed very dark. Almost disturbing. Violets usually smell very delicate to me, but these are evil violets. The overall "color" impression I get is a blackened green.

I wont be wearing this but nevertheless I am glad to have been able to try it. I've really never smelled anything like it.

Updated with use of Saturnalia more often, and since a recent violet comparison reminded me that it's got such natural 'throw' of its own - if you want a scent to finger into your hair, this is one of the good ones.

some BPAL seems to need body heat and/or chemistry to activate notes, and send the perfume through its range. Saturnalia doesn't need or ask for any assistance. the vetiver and violet will sort out dominance as the oil itself dries, and then it just throws like a mutha'.

tip a bit onto a fingertip and dab through the ends of your hair and you'll be followed by violets ~allll~ day long.

Let me preface this by saying that I loathe vertiver, but a friend recommended this one so highly that I had to try it.

In the Bottle Rather musky, warm, and sultry

WetBitter vertiver. I have never smelled anything quite like this. The smell is morphing. Hmmmm, almost smells like sage. I can’t place the note, but there is something very familiar in this.

DrydownVery woodsy. A vanilla like warmth underneathe. Hmmmm….. I kinda smell like woodchips. It’s continuly changing

Two Hours LaterI am vaugely getting a musky floral in here; still a bit woodsy. Now let me tell you something. The description says “Unrestrained revelry, unchained licentiousness” Can I tell you people that after the drydown stage, when the violet starts making an appearance, I got very frisky. Horny.

I had to “call someone” and have just had the most “fun” I’ve had in an entire day in a long time. I ended up skipping class. Holy crap. This one should be renamed all night long. Whew. I’m pooped.

VerdictThe smell dries, nicely, but it’s not me. However, the effect it had on me sexually…… god damn, I’m keeping this one near my bed. Rofl.

So amazingly wonderful.

To me this is pure vetiver and violet. Being as I'm a huge fan of both, this is obviously a favorite of mine. The vetiver gives it a deep woodsy dark scent, and the violet lightens it up with a sexy intensely green floral. I feel sinister, playful, and enticing all at the same time with this. I bet it would make a nice room scent as well.

In the bottle and wet on skin- a deep and mysterious violet, with an almost mossy smell.

Wearing- this smells nice on me- earthy, but violet at the same time. This is a scent that gives me Victorian parlor images. The more I wear this, the more I like it. Basically, I like violet way more than vetiver, and find that the longer I wear this the stronger the violet becomes, and it overtakes the vetiver. That's great for me. This is a sophisticated and unusual scent, and one I can see myself purchasing a big bottle of.

i do not get violet at all :P vetiver ran away w/ a vengance all i smell is vetiver, and i am not a vetiver enemy i just wanyed some violets :D will try in a couple weeks if it still smells the same off to swaps

I sniffed this in the imp last night and afterwards had the taste of Parma Violets in my mouth so I decided I had to try this today. Initially I got violets, but also something leafy and green... lettuce? Cucumber? Something like that. As it dried down it became less green and more violetty and sweeter. This would have been one for my 5ml list except for one thing - this seemed to bring out an almost hayfeverish reaction in me. I had itchy sinuses all morning and sneezed repeatedly. By the afternoon it had faded enough that it wasn't making me sneeze any more.

Saturnalia:

I had an experience to Shelldoo.. holy whopping vetiver. Never even got violets out of this. I had to scrub it off after about an hour, because I just couldn't take the smell anymore. :P Sorry, Beth! :D

In the bottle this had a scent similar to burial or zombi; an earthy, greenish scent. Once I had applied it to my skin though it was a really strong sweet violet scent. Think parma violets sweets (were they just a UK thing?) deepened with something darker and bitter. For lush fans think of bathos used with middle earth :P

It is green, I really didnt think I would like this one at all but Its not that bad. It has a violet and grape smell to it, but it almost smells of Neem or an natural pesticide. I like the idea behind this and it makes me feel festive so I may just keep this lil imps ear for my own personal use.

the violet is evil. it's not the vetiver, it's the VIOLET. the overwhelming violet. it's so purple and twilighty. and headache-y.

i swear, i will SO start reading descriptions before i buy. honest.

I received this as an extra in my last order, and I’m very glad I did.

I don’t usually go for violet at all, but something about this blend is compelling.

It’s spicy and warm and almost nutty on my skin. It reminds me of something I’ve smelled before, an oil or perfume from a Vintage store I used to go to.

I’m in an odd sort of like with this scent; I may order a 5ml…

Hmm, this is my first review ever, and I have actually had this imp for 2 months now, but I have been cautious about reviewing the lab oils as I am not very skilled in detecting single notes, but hopefully I will learn :P .

In the vial: Very green and leafy with the violet lurking underneath. I am intrigued by this but I was hoping for more violet and less green though.

Wet on skin: Very very green; seems like the kind of violets that would grow under an ancient oaktree, a bit foreboding and savage - a dark forest smell to me.

Drydown: It does not really change that much on me; The violets seem to peek out a bit more, but still overall a very green, leafy scent.

Overall, I have yet to decide if this is a big bottle as I like the idea of the violets mingled with the greens, but I miss something sweeter in this, it is very sharp. My boyfriend loathed this at first, but now he kind of likes it - he just begs me to be more moderate and not slather this scent as it penetrates the air like nobody's business.

This does stick around which is a big plus! I put some drops in my tresses the other day and after I washed my hair, I could still detect Saturnalia, wow :D .

saturnalia.gif

Violet and vetiver, those are the two notes in Saturnalia which ring out from the bottle. It is a great scent for those who love vetiver, but to my nose there is just too much of it in there to make me feel comfortable. I feel dominated by this scent. I will take my hat off to the Lab for thinking of it, and I did trade it to someone who dearly loves it.

Follow up 1/19/08

Well, this has become the BPAL nostalgia scent forever for me. I smell this in January or any time to about April and it will always say "When I first found BPAL". That makes me happy indeed. Also, I have learned the ways of Vetiver and have learned to love it. I think that Beth is the mistress of vetiver and it certainly shows in Saturnalia.

Overall, it is the unexpected and not quite entirely remembered photograph in the scrapbook of the past several years and when I smelled it again I realized how far we all have come and how fiercely happier we all are, and how much more cold we have to get through before we can reach the warmth and, miracle or miracles that Beth is pregnant and her child will reach the warmth and join the rest of us mortals and smell the earth and know what Saturnalia is all about.

How fine.

Edited by olympia301

Beautiful violet with a twist all its own. I love this stuff! I think it is very unusual, which is what I love about BPAL...not everyone wears it (well, we do here but that is another story!)

I was hoping for violet, but got a strong dose of vetiver. :P

I like vetiver, in small doses, in this it is too much though, so off to swaps...

Hmmm... okay, so I'm sure reading the reviews this works out beautifully on some people's skin. Mine was definitely an exception to this. In keeping with my determination to honestly review every scent I try for my further reference and database, though, here goes nothing...

In the vial: I'll have to concede to the other reviewers -- this is dark. It's as if Buffy: The Vampire Slayer and a Queller Demon (You know the drooly gnome thing that chasted after her mother? Yeah, that.) are fighting within the bottle on a bed of violets. Neither has won yet. There's a heavy, sweaty scent that has fallen over the gothic violets.. not quite making them sharp, but definitely astringent. I think the Queller demon may have knocked over a bottle of patchoulli in the Magic Shop before Buffy chased it here.

Wet: The Slayer has bested another demon. Soon its alien-green blood explodes over the violets, covering whatever sweetness they have in an acrid, plasticy, unhuman scent. What is left of the violets are withering away under the Queller demon's free-flowing blood.

Dry: Buffy has since moved on to more important things, but the Queller demon is still atop the wilted violets. Its body slowly begins to decompose into the earth even as post-mortem gasses are released from its pores. The once pretty violets give a final agonizing cry before melting away from the ever-increasing stench. Nothing grows atop the land again for a very long time.

Edited by loveandprozak

When I smelt this in the imp it was mmm palma violets and yuk something icky. As this is the first oil I've tried with vetiver, I'm assuming that it is the something icky, unfortunately on me the violet disappeared entirely. After about an hour the vetiver isn't too bad, it's kind of mossy and earthy, but I wouldn't want to wear it. I think I'll steer clear of vetiver in future.

I am still deciding about this one- hubby loves it on me, and I still am undecided about the verdict! The violet is lovely, but at least on me, it becomes unbalanced by a very strong vetivert. Good lesson for me, everything does not have to balance! I am a symmetrical type of person, and the lack of balance in this stymies me, but I keep coming back to it because it's a fascinating fragrance, as is par for the course with Beth! For all I know, I like it a lot more than I realize. I'll use the imp, then who knows?