Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

Wow, that's a lot of flowers. It's a very heady floral at first, and then it starts to smell a bit smoky and spicy. I saw jasmine and rose in the notes list and I thought there was no way I'd like this... but... um, I kinda like it. It reminds me a bit of flowers that have been pressed in a book for a long time.

My husband thinks this smells sexy. He likes it. I think I'll keep this imp around. Edited by Shollin

I love love love Delight. I received an imp from Bard, and I'm really glad I did, because while I probably would have gotten around to ordering it from the lab somewhere down the road, it wasn't high on my list. SO GLAD I got to try it.

In the imp: Floral, but there’s a resinous scent as well. Like a slightly floral, slightly resinous incense. It reminds me of a funky but high-end clothing boutique in my home town where I always bought my incense.

Wet/Drydown: A rich, sweet floral. There’s rose and tuberose in the background, but they’re not the dominant floral. There’s definitely a lovely jasmine in the foreground. I don’t know what frangipani smells like, but I’m guessing that that’s what I smell blending with the jasmine. This has such a warm, thick, tropical feel to it. It smells luxurious and languid and utterly feminine. This is an exotic and ravishingly beautiful woman reclining on a silk chaise, surrounded by lush, tropical plants. She’s giving you a lazy yet scorching look from underneath drooping lids, and a secretive smile plays about her lips. This oil is not one, but several days spent lounging in bed with your lover, making intense and passionate – but decidedly unhurried – love. Utterly sensual. LOVE IT. A bit drier – getting a bit sweeter, and it’s SO YUMMY. The sweetness is warm and golden, almost like amber, but it’s not amber. I kind of want to molest myself.

Dry: Rose and tuberose come out a bit more, sweetening the blend up and taking away a bit of the mustiness of the jasmine/frangipani blend. There’s a bit of muskiness though. This is so utterly feminine, but in a very confident way, both sexually and non-sexually. After a few hours, the sweetness is holding its own, but it’s not dominant in any way.

The staying power is amazing on me as well. I put it on yesterday around 5:00 p.m. and I can still smell it this morning. This is definitely a big bottle purchase.

This is a thick and heavy floral. Mostly jasmine but there is definitely tuberose too. When it's wet I can detect also frangipani, but it gets overpowered by jasmine when it dries. Exotic floral, but unfortunately much too floral for me.

Almost faecal upon initial application, I get a very pungent jasmine note. However, a distinct powder note emerges - soft, gentle, womanly and nowhere near as aggressive as in the beginning. Half an hour later and the offensive note has mingled successfully with the powdery one but the scent overall has faded a great deal. Sadly, in 3 hours the scent of this oil has almost disappeared completely though there is a slight sweet note which is a strain to smell. I tried this a few times and was very disappointed that my body chemistry just kept on swallowing it right up.

I'm just getting a straight floral -- none of the four notes stand out from the others. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not spectacular on me.

However, I do think a bottle of this would be a great gift for someone who loves floral scents but hasn't discovered BPAL. I'd also suggest this to someone new to BPAL who's still overwhelmed by the choices.

This was sweet and delicious in the imp, but on my skin it went weeeeee jasmine! I think I just should give up the idea that anything with jasmine is going to work on my skin.

I did use it in my diffuser though, and my house smells wonderfully sweet. A true delight!

what.the.hell. i seriously want to know whether what is in my imp of delight is really truly delight. because i smell like, uh...indian spices. for cooking. curry with a little bit of floral. is this coincidence? i can only think this may be the frangipani, as roses usually work just fine. granted, i am not entirely sure how jasmine reacts with me as i don't have many jasmine-laced scents, but...wow. just way too spicy and strange for me. i figure this is a chemistry-related fluke and should stoically accept my fate. actually, on drydown, the spices begin to subside, i get more tuberose, i think jasmine is working his teeny butt off to take the stage...but this is still just too pungent. poo.

In the imp: Sour and 'off'-smelling.

On me: Single-note jasmine. Quel surprise (any jasmine at all means the blend smells of nothing but on my skin.)

In the bottle: Rose made almost orangey by frangipani.

On the wrist: Strange. Like roses past bloom, with a twist of cloy. As it dries, gets a bit orange-y again. No, not orange. A cross between orange and freesia.

After an hour: Oh. Oh, no. Not nice. Soured cloying smells. First one I’ve had to wash off. 3/10

:P

Tangy and almost pickle-ish scent in the bottle, it becomes sour on. I can't pick notes out of this. It's so floral my skin is rebelling, turning it to dust and vinegar. This is the queerest reaction I've ever had from a perfume, and is a far cry from "delight."

To make things even more fun, the drydown smells like my grandmother's perfume. Damn.

Alas, not for me. Since I cannot even review it effectively, this will be headed straight to swaps, where I hope it can delight someone else.

In the imp: strong, slightly 'off' floral smell, bordering on dirty diaper. I've encountered this before with scents that have turned out beautifully though so I'm not scared off. I think it's jasmine that does it.

Wet on me: My initial impression is that this is something to wear with a silk or satin negligee -- it's really very 'boudoir' and I can't imagine wearing it to work or class! There's a candy-sweet note in here that reminds me of Maenad and had me guessing at orange blossom for a moment, but that's not one of the listed components. Rose peeks out after a moment and then vanishes again. Overall, very very candy-sweet floral.

Drydown: Uh-oh. The sweetness is amping to an unpleasant degree and I'm starting to get a headache. Now, after 5 minutes, it smells like super-sweet soap or powder....

Still, there's something in here that's *really* nice, probably the frangipani. This is a sexy, 'colourful' scent and I think there will be occasions when I reach for this. The sweetness does settle down after 10 minutes or so -- just have to be careful to avoid huffing too deeply or I wind up with a headache :P

Initial impression:

I'm a little shocked at the first sniff – rotting fruit and stingy florals. :/

First on:

For some reason, it now smells like banana peel and flowers.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's a floral soap. Ugh.

20-30 mins after application, the lovely frangipani really comes out. The rest is pretty much absent though.

Finally:

It turned into a nice floral after all, but floral ain't for me - swapping!

In the Imp: A sticky sweetness that reminds me of the frangipani (plumeria) tree at my parents' home in Hawaii. In the hottest humidity, the fallen flowers have this particular sweet, almost overripe fruit smell.

Initial Wet: It goes on a little sour, the way most fruit scents react with my skin, and the jasmine is prominent. The throw is very powerful and is a sweet, tropical floral. Not getting much rose.

Initial Dry: As it dries, the sourness fades. The rose starts to come out, but it is a base note under the frangipani. The frangipani is definitely the dominant note with the jasmine coming in second.

Drier Dry: Sweet and almost-spicy floral, still retaining a pretty strong throw for all that it's been on for several hours and survived a handwashing. Still, it's not an overpowering floral.

I didn't know that frangipani was plumeria until I looked it up. I've been looking for a nice plumeria scent that didn't scream "tourist!" because I miss the smells of my island home. I wanted something tropical, but not fruity. I think this scent is perfect and I'll have to invest in a bottle at some point.

When I first smelled Delight in the bottle, it was too strong for me. I had reservations about trying it out, but I went for it anyway. Almost immediately, the jasmine hit my nose and I couldn't smell anything else. The jasmine definitely had staying power, and I wasn't sure if I was going to change my mind and wash it off. I'm glad I stuck it out, however, because after an hour or so the scent had morphed into -- of all things -- a gentle raspberry chocolate. Where that came from, I have no idea. :P Talk about strange body chemistry.

I'm going to have to try this one out a couple more times before I make up my mind. I love how it smells once it finally settles down on my skin, but that first hour or so almost kicks my butt. Not sure if it's worth that initial aggravation.

My second round of imps. This is actually a replacement for Asp Viper, so I have no idea what this will be like. I open the bottle and smell alcohol mixed with the smell of my mum's hair just after she's washed and dried it! I am used to deep scents, this one is much lighter than I like to try but I'll see what it's like once applied. It's smelling a bit artificial on me and I can't seem to smell anything natural. As it dries I am beginning to smell some sort of plant/flower, now I think the jasmine is coming through. Once dried I can definately smell the jasmine, but still some shampoo coming through! This isn't a sexy scent like I was after, but I think it will make a DELIGHTful summer scent!

Got my very first round of imps today :P and picked this one to try first. No reason, just chance.

I don't have an educated nose, or not yet...hoping to learn but maybe you're born with it?

So, I don't know enough to comment on the in-the-bottle, wet, dry, etc. differences.. to me, it has stayed the same throughout. It's been about 2 hours..... and surprise! I'm loving it more and more.

I usually go for spicy, musky scents...but this is a very, very lovely floral. I do know the smell of frangipani and jasmine well...and, yep, these are them.

This is a very feminine scent...my Man took a whiff and said, "Mmm, that does smell good...." high praise for him, to even notice!

I will get a big bottle, for when I want to feel very girly and pretty and sweet.

Edited to add:

6 hours later...I can hardly believe it, but this is holding up so well on me! Scent is still true and about 50% as strong as when first applied...I am well and truly DELIGHTed! :D

Edited by seashell

imp: imagine mixing jasmine flowers into vanilla icing and this is the scent you'd get.

wet: gah! rose and jasmine on a roadtrip to hell. this smells so awful on me the saints are crying.

dry: still jasmine and rose. total bleh on me.

Imp: Frangipani all over the place, with a hint of jasmine. I can't smell the rose in the imp. Maybe there won't be any on me?

Wet: Lots of frangipani, and something vaguely sour which I think is the tuberose, as I've had it go sour on me before. Maybe it'll disappear.

Drydown: The rose is kept largely in check by the frangipani, but this still goes all soapy on me in the end. Swap/sale pile.

Wet: FLOWER PERFUME, with not particular note standing out. It's a perfumey, climb up your nose and assault you scent of flower perfume too.

Dry: flowers. Again with no particular note standing out. Thankfully it fades enough to stop assaulting my nose.

Verdict: so not my cup of tea. I smell like . . . an old lady in too much classic perfume.

In bottle/imp: Strong jasmine mixed with tuberose and a base of rose.

Immediately on skin: What I get first is deep jasmine blend with a bit of tuberose blending in. This is mostly a smoky floral fragrance, but it has a slightly sweet, waxy edge from the tuberose and a little more of a pretty sweetness from the frangipani (but the frangipani note is extremely light). The rose is subtle and is mostly blending with the jasmine, smoothing it a bit.

After a little while: The smokiness of this has gone down a bit, but it’s a jasmine dominated blend for sure. There’s also more of the frangipani coming out now and the rose adds a nice freshness.

Overall Impressions: The lab’s jasmine note amps quite a bit on me, and it seems to have done so here. It’s not my favorite note, so this isn’t quite me. It is a nice floral scent though if you enjoy jasmine… the other notes blend in quite well and lend a smooth, sweeter feel to the heavy jasmine.

In the bottle: Baby powder. Delicate floral, sweet. Smells sort of like a baby's skin or breath, too.

Wet: A bit less powdery, more jasminey. I can smell the rose more distinctly. Way more floral overall, but I'm not getting any frangipani - alas!

Dry: Rose is fading, jasmine still going strong, and I'm maybe getting a HINT of the frangipani. But there is still a strong powder element. Any idea what's likely to be causing that? Rose and jasmine do not turn to powder on me, usually. I guess it must be the tuberose?

Summary: Powdery rose-jasmine.

Imp: Sweet, rosy scent. Smells like this rose-flavoured pop I buy at a Lebanese store near my work.

Wet: The florals are very tightly blended and don't bloom separately. This turns sweet and heady, I catch a whiff of the jasmine but the rose is the dominant note.

Dry: This is so delightful. The rose and jasmine have become the dominant scents with the tuberose and frangipani laying down a sweet white-floral scent.

Throw: A few inches from the skin.

Overall: I love this. It's a really beautiful, elegant floral with a certain hint of naughtiness to it. Very well blended, very gorgeous.

Edited by paperrose

the description of this sounds really lovely.

in the imp it smells very sharp & vinegary.

on my skin this is- what the hell- PICKLE juice? eeyew!

now it's fading to that more spicy kind of pickle juice, like they use for pickled eggs or something. not delightful at all :-(

15 min later i'm getting some sweet floral underneath, and a greenish scent, but the pickle scent is still predominant. and i think i might not like tuberose, though i'm not really sure what it smells like.

wash off and straight to swaps.

On me, this is all frangipani and a slight jasmine undertone. No roses, sadly, but this is still quite beautiful. I love the smoky depth of frangipani flower.