Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

In the bottle this smells like glue? nailpolish remover? I blame the jasmine... Edited by Shollin

Mmmmm...This is heavenly.When I sniffed it,I didn't think I would like it,it was soooo strong.This is all about the F-R-A-N-G-I-P-A-N-I,Baby!!! Beautiful Frangipani, just a tiny whiff of rose,and a hint of soap.I got a really good reaction from my test-subject, my poor husband.He usually dutifully sniffs my wrist,and says "nice" or "that smells good",while he yawns.This time,he tried to lead me to the bedroom!!So I guess this gets two thumbs up(or something like that).I sure wish this lasted longer.. :P

First sniff: Good Lord, this is floral. And not some coy soft floral, either. This is big honkin’ flowers of floralocity.

Wearing: Still big honkin’ flowers in the initial wet burst, but it softens quickly. Alas, the drydown is powdery sweet floral, and just doesn’t work on me.

I'm not sure what frangipani smells like, but I definitely get rose and jasmine from Delight. It's pretty, but I don't think this blend is as unique as some of the other floral scents I've tried.

I find it funny reading the reviews that so many people talk about this being very strong or sharp. When I first picked up the imp this morning, I couldn't smell anything at all in the vial, but thought I'd give it a try. I'm not really sure I know what fragiapani smells like, but I am getting a soft sweet scent almost similar to peach or apricot. I do get a bit of the florals as well with jasmine and rose but it's balanced very well and very soft. I don't feel like this is strong or has super throw but I do feel almost like I have this sweet haze surrounding me that I get little wafts of now and then. I'm really liking this scent!

Initially, I thought, "Old lady!" In the bottle it was sharp, with an almost citrus edge, or something that reminds me of magnolia. Very potent. But I decided to try it, and wow, it gets a lot better. There has to be incense in here somewhere--I smell something very resiny on top of the florals, with maybe a touch of wood and vanilla. It's gotten very rounded and lighter, though there's still a slight, lingering touch of sharpness in there somewhere.

Overall, lovely. I just wish I hadn't spilled the imp.

In the imp: sour and sharp… reminds me of my bad experience with Mata Hari, when I got the same initial sour note that just never went away. The only note the two oils share is jasmine, but this definitely doesn’t smell sweet and floral like I’d expect jasmine to

Wet: rose and what I assume is frangipani, the sourness of the jasmine fades back, thank heavens… oh wait, it's coming back. Damn.

Dry: The rose has disappeared, and the jasmine has come back with a vengeance and combined with the frangipani to form a cloying, sickeningly sweet blend. Definitely not for me.

In the bottle: floral and very, very sweet.

On my skin: Cola syrup. Very odd. ^^;; Then the florals come out and they're very deep and pretty, but not my thing. I was all set to put this in the swap pile, but 30 minutes later this turns into the most delicious cherry-floral scent! It even has a light, spicy undertone that reminds me of incense. And look! OMG! There's jasmine in it and it doesn't make me sick!

Hmm, actually, an hour later all I can smell is ylang ylang. Is that even in this one? Either way, I'm not a fan.

I put off trying this for a while because when I first received it, it smelled like pickles in the imp. I usually wait until a weekend to try anything that I think may not work, and the pickle note had me putting this off for a while. I sniffed the imp this morning and while it still has an odd, sharp note it's now more like nail polish remover than pickles. I went ahead and dabbed some on the back of my hand and that sharp note smoothed out right away, leaving a rich, heavy floral. I like all of the notes in this and I've been wanting to try it for a looong time (this was one of the first scents I put on my wish list), but this just didn't knock my socks off. I guess my expectations were too high? I'll definitely use the imp, though I don't see me getting a big bottle of this any time soon.

This is a pleasant but incoherent floral on me. Unfortunately, it gets more and more muddled with time. So... no.

In the bottle: Very perfumey and floral.

On me: This is what I was hoping Pele would be - an exotic tropical floral. I definitely smell the tuberose and frangipani, also the jasmine. The rose not so much - the other flowers are too aggressive for it. But I got this mostly for the tuberose and frangipani.

This reminds me very much of some perfume I got in Hawaii years and years ago. Delight is a delight on me and I think I'll get a bottle.

In Bottle: Incense and florals

On Skin: This scent is very Indian, it brings to mind a Indian gift shop I went to once. The rose notes are dominant (again) and the jasmine follows a close second. I like that the other florals sweeten the rose so the rose isn’t too tart or sharp. A pretty feminine scent with a sweet syrupy feel. There seems to be a dark and resinous background note that really warms the scent up and gives it a deeper feeling. I love the description and would would perfectly willing to try this out for that specific purpose… but not as an everyday fragrance.

Wet: Vibrant floral, in a good way.

Dry: The rose comes on strong right before it turns the whole thing to baby powder.

Final: I was hoping for more jasmine to come through as rose doesn't seem to like me; it tends to turn things powdery fairly quickly. This was a nice, heady floral until that happened, and then it vanished.

This is a really spicy, almost incensey-but-not, floral blend. It's sexy and sweet and lovely. The predominant note is probably the frangipani, with rose and jasmine lurking somewhere in the background. This is the kind of scent you'd wear when you want to look sweet and pretty, but with an underlying sexy kick. It's not a shy blend, at all. Really like this!

I'm so incredibly bad at telling florals apart, especially fragipani, jasmine and tuberose - they all smell sort of similar to me. This is a rich, very sweet, slightly sharp sort of floral. It's a very mature and lush sort of scent, like a southern belle past her youth but just entering her dangerous prime. I'm kinda surprised that this is growing on me.

In the bottle: Nice overall, nothing that really jumps out at me... but there is a sort of medicinal smell underneath. A little like a tylenol...

On my skin: Wet, it's not good. I don't know what it smells like, and it's not horrible, but it's not a good smelling whatever. Dry, it's just worse. A few mintues later it's sweet and slightly floral with a soap backing.

Final Thoughts: Not good on me. :P

Scent in bottle: Flowers. Nice deep rose and jasmine, and what I assume is plumeria.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Same as in the bottle...it's a remarkably spicy floral.

Dry -- The florals get a bit dustier dry...I have no clue what plumeria smells like, so I can't distinguish it from the rose and jasmine very well.

Conclusion: Not really my thing, but I'll keep it around for a bit and see if it grows on me.

Wet, it smells like Perfume!! Duh.

Perfume perfume, not generic BPAL floral perfume (maybe jthe asmine overload thang?).

Delight is well behaved, starts out tropical floral and dries to rosey floral. Not weird, but not OMG unique and wonderful, either.

Bottle: Sharp. Green sharp.

Wet: Still sharp, more of the sweetness of the jasmine coming through.

Dry: Hints of the rose behind the frangipani (which I assume is the green sharpness), but it's a sweet rose (maybe that's the tuberose with it) and the jasmine is pounding right along as it always does with me. I don't think I can wear this blend.

Later: I'm being belted with, in this order, jasmine, sharp and sweet and green, and an almost sickly sweet rose that smells of Eau de Old Lady.

bottle:

rose. And fruit?

wet:

fairly strong floral. Bright, exotic floral notes

dry:

same. Nice, but strong for my taste. Does tone down eventually, and changes notes quite often!

overall:

really nice but not my cuppa tea.

rating: 5/10

I wouldn't describe this blend as sinful--it's not so much about carnal delight as it is about being happy because the sun is shining, the wind is blowing off the ocean, and you're sitting in a flower garden with someone you love.

This is also a slap in the face to the old-school perfume snobs who like to claim that BPAL can't produce a classic perfume. Joyful as this blend is, it's also wonderfully sophisticated, suited as well to work and to elegant parties as it is to skipping through the bluebells.

Scent-wise, the florals belnd together beautifully: the rose, jasmine, and fragipani all heighten and deepen each other; there is a smoky, spicy note in there that seems almost resinous. I'm strongly reminded of a less incensey Spellbound. Wet, Delight is almost tooth-achingly sweet but it quickly dries down to a rich, lush, fresh floral blend. Throw is medium; lasting power is great. It's been thirteen hours since I applied and while it's not nearly as strong as it was, there is still a noticeable floral sweetness at my pulse-points.

Because I am so reminded of Spellbound, I won't be purchasing a big bottle until I use up my 5ml of Spellbound, but I do love this blend.

In the bottle this is interesting, slightly herbal... I have to guess that it's the frangipani that I'm detecting that's mixing with the jasmine. On me wet, it's nothing floral I've encountered before... the rose and tuberose are a sweet base and the jasmine adds a sensual tone to this while the frangipani is slightly spicy and most definitely exotic. I'm not sure I like where it's going on me, but I definitely want to go there and find out more either way. Turns out that frangipani is a fancy name for plumeria - which like a few other florals (namely sweet pea) goes sweet rot on my skin within a very short time. By the time this has dried and warmed, it's overly sweet and the roses have died. Heady plumeria and throat grabbing jasmine wrench my poor sinuses this way and that until my eyes are watering and I have to call enough. Unfortunately, I had no idea what frangipani was before trying this on. Serves me right and next time I'll do my research prior to application.

Delight

In the imp: ugh, vinegar! No, I’m not kidding, this smells like vinegar! I’m a bit scared to put it on my skin, it smells sour and unappealing…

Wet on skin: still a bit sour and vinegar-y, but now I think I’m getting hints of floral coming out…maybe the tuberose?

Dry: hmm, not bad! No more vinegar. This now smells like a soft, almost incense like floral. It smells like floral joss sticks from India, with an almost champa like feel to it. There’s tuberose and jasmine here-I don’t get much of the rose (I think it may be adding a hint of something tart to the scent though), maybe I can smell the frangipani but the scent is a well blended sultry floral, humid and exotic, with a hint of nag champa. It seems evocative of a sultry summer night with heady blooms on the breeze. Strangely, there’s also a hint of salt to it-maybe this is a floral-scented summer night by the sea?

After a while: a very soft, almost barely there, scent remains after an hour. I now get a hint of rose, with a little bit of sweet frangipani, I think, with a white floral background. But it’s ever so faint!

Verdict: here’s a good example of ‘don’t judge a scent by its imp!’ In the imp, this smelt very off putting-like vinegar! I didn’t want to put it on my skin but I’m did, because the scent changes dramatically into a very pleasant, subtle floral. An exotic and sultry scent, it reminds me of Indian floral incense burning on a humid summer night with the scent of the joss sticks mingling with the scent of nocturnal blooms. It’s not too heady, it’s more like a wisp of scent. It does fade incredibly fast on my skin though, leaving just a bare hint of white floral. It’s a nice scent but too short lived and the vinegar scent it had first kinda freaked me out… I’ll stick with Khajuraho for my Indian floral incense scent.

Emoticon rating: :P