Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

First impression: Strong hit of something I don't like - I'm guessing jasmine or musk.

Dries down to: More of the same. I couldn't pick up anything else at all for the first couple of hours, before I fell asleep. When I woke up the next morning, I could very faintly smell a touch of rose on my wrist.

Additional Comments: I see there's jasmine in this one - that must be what's putting me off. For some reason, jasmine seems to come out very musky on me. I'll have to stop blaming musk because it's actually jasmine that seems to be in most of the scents I don't like.

Lasted: Overnight.

Rating: 1 out of 5

Delight - When I first smelled this I was certain that I wouldn't like it, but of course I tried it on anyhow. First sniff made me wince and I had to back away quickly, it was very perfume-y and sharp and strong. 10 minutes later I gave it another quick cautious sniff and was surprised to find that it had changed greatly... it was more soft powdery floral, with the sharp note having receded greatly. I thought I might even wear it, but after another 20 minutes it is now a bit too perfumey again... not very perfumey, but for me the slightest hint of department store perfume turns me way off. Is there musk in this, just a hint? I've found that that is usually the 'perfumey' thing I pick up on.

Bottle (Imp): Hmm, a little sharp to my nose.

Just On: Ouch, rather sharp really. We'll see how it settles down.

An hour or two later: Hmm. Jasmine?

Around 6 hours: Woodsy flowers.

12 hours: A faint sweet flowery scent.

Overall: It's okay, but nothing grand on my skin.

After reading other reviews: Well, it didn't go soapy, but it certainly wasn't anything for me to write home about.

In the vial I get rosewood. It's a little heavy.

On my skin it lightens up a lot. It becomes a very pretty floral. The jasmine and frangipani come out. On my skin, it's clean, a little sweet, floral, pretty, and slightly boring. I like it, but I'm not sure if I like it enough compared to the others that I like to add to the growing family. I'm running out of space. Might just have to pass this on, but first I'll get a second opinion from one of the boys. :P

This smells a bit sour and pungent when first on. After a couple of minutes jasmine comes through- heavy and sweet. After about ten minutes the rose develops and it still has a bit of a sour or "off" scent to it. It dries down powdery on me. This one is just so-so for me and smells similar to some other BPAL blends.

Wet: Generic floral perfume

2 Hours: A pretty floral. I can smell the rose. Starting to head to powder.

5 Hours: Yup. Floral powder. Pretty, but not spectacular.

Floral, floral and even more floral on me. I can definately smell the jasmine and rose. Much too floral for me.

ADDED Aug. 26:

A very heady floral on me. Actually gave me a headache after a few minutes. There is something off that I can't put my finger on, but it isn't pleasant on me. Sadly this is a no go.

Delight is another blend that went all jasmine on my skin. It was all that I could smell for about an hour, smoky and heady jasmine. I hate how strong it is. The rose appeared after about an hour. Too bad that the rose went soapy on me :P

Conclusion: Delight smells like jasmine soap on me and will be given to a friend of mine who is interested in trying it.

On the wand: spicy florals, I think I smell frangipani and jasmine, but a pretty smell, like a woman getting primped for her lover.

On me, wet: Jasmine and rose. I love jasmine, not so sure about the rose though. I like roses on the rosebush, but not so much on me, I usually think I smell like old lady.

Dry-down: Ew, soapy old lady. Ew. ROSE! I don't like it. I had to actually wash it off, the smell was so bad. I smelled like an old lady in a nursing home. This is the first time I've ever had to wash a perfume off, BPAL or otherwise, because the smell was so bad on me. Swap pile! :P

in the bottle: jasmine, overpoweringly so.

wet on skin: This is too floral for me, I just know it. Jasmine is always a bad combination with my skin chemistry. It gets soapy and not in a good way. Sometimes I like soapy scents, but not with jasmine. There's rose, as well, but it's not strong enough to beat jasmine out of the way.

dry: I washed this off.

holy sweet florals batman :D

another artistic blend that proves Beth is #1 in her field... :D

the jasmine and tuberose come out boldly at first yet sadly fade much too quickly with my chemistry....

weird, cuz jasmine always plays the dominant role with me but not this time.... :D

she's all but gone within 1/2 hour of application.....maybe i should go douse myself some more :P

I can't do a detailed review on Delight because I'm too repulsed by it to dare put it onto my skin. It smells like pickles, and I have an intense aversion to pickles. This scent, in the lab imp, is sour, sharp, strong. Disgusting! Where's the sweet floral that everyone else is talking about? :P

In the bottle: decemberine is right, it smells quite like a jar of sweet pickles. Which, of course isn't what most ladies enjoy smelling throughout the day.

On the skin: strong jasmine and a slightly sour note. I'm not too familiar with floral notes, so I'm not apt at picking them out, but since this is a note I definitely haven't come into olfactory contact with.. i'm going to guess it's frangipani.

Side note: frangipani is a cool word!

After a few hours.. in the drydown, the jasmine is definitely a front runner, with the slightly sweet/sour note as a sideliner. I don't get a ton of rose in this one, but it's present and soft.

Overall, this is a medium strength floral (neither especially cloying nor very light) and it's pleasant in a different way. It makes me think of India and bellydancers. Not sure if this would ever be a favorite, but it's unique.

It does strike me as something of a summer scent, so if I keep my imp, I'll save it for the steamy months.

this was lab lagniappe!! as always, many thanks for your generousity - it allows me to smell SO many things i would never have the opportunity otherwise.

in the imp: sour. off. couldn't get past the something is rotten in denmark smell. i almost didn't put it on.

on my wrist, wet: the same. after much sniffing (i know, perhaps i am a masochist), i decided that it smelled like pickles. or pickling spices. mustard seed, dill, something heavy and green and pretty awful as a perfume.

on my wrist, dry: well, the pickle smell is gone. believe me, this is a good thing. it has been replaced by a woody craftstore like floral that i can't identify. i smell no rose and no jasmine....my skin amps them up like wildfire. i suppose it could be the frangipani (which i have always called plumeria, but i believe it is the same flower)....but it doesn't smell like any frangipani i have ever known.

so now it is a heavy floral that smells pretty soapy and fake on me and is giving me a headache.

sorry, lab. this isn't the kind of review i'm used to giving!!! :P

Sadly I don't seem to be getting any jasmine with this, all I have is the scent of roses! I do smell a slightly sour note though and this is a very very floral scent on me.

If only there was more jasmine and less of the roses!

In the Bottle: Flowery Soap, more soap than flower. Tuberose can be really strong and almost bitter when used in high quantities, I am thinking the tuberose is doing this.

Dry: VERY strong Tuberose and Frangipani. Not balanced enough for me, the strength is kinda letting the bitter stem notes of the flowers out.

Not for me.

Admittedly, most of the scents I hate but the one scent everyone hates I seem to love. It smells like an intoxicating cinnamon. It smells sort of like the Harlot without the creepy ghost after effect. I thought this stank in the vial and then placed it on my body; it is so soothing that I could see wearing this to work everyday just to keep me happy. The smell of cedar has always calmed me and that is what this smells like. What confuses me is everyone states there is some floral somewhere. Where is the floral? I am wondering if my vial got mixed with something else. I don't smell floral at all.

Edited to add: Without perfume, my skin smells sweet. If the perfume has any powder or musk, my skin sucks that out and the rest of the ingredients disappear. I looked up Frangipani and it can smell like spice. This would explain why I get only the Frangipani. My body apparently sucks up everything except now spice, powder, and musk. This probably explains why a lot of florals turn rancid on me.

Edited by Shollin

Too late I learned that I don't like either rose OR jasmine, so this was an obviously poor choice on my part. However, it is blended well and an attractive scent, just make sure you like these florals ON. I couldn't detect the frangipani as jasmine ALWAYS dominates blends for me. Weird. Anywho, I'm sure this would be an amazing scent for someone else. :P

This was not what I expected. From the description, and from the way those notes usually work on me, I expected something quite sweet, possibly even overpowering. Instead this is perfumey but almost sharp and not the slightest bit sweet or flowery. It reminds me a little of how Moscow smelled on me.

Jasmine is a gamble. I tried Mata Hari earlier today, and the jasmine completely drowned the other notes out. :boohiss: Needless to say, I was disappointed enough to suspect that I wouldn't like Delight, either, due to its jasmine content and the sour patchouli smell of the oil in the imp.

But I was wrong! YAY! Love it when that happens.

No one floral note stands out. I smell an exotic eastern bouquet and incense, no smoke though, and I think I get a whiff of opium every now and then. Very Kama Sutra. Delight is sweet and spicy; soporific and stimulating. It might be a too incensy or too floral for some, but it completely suprised me. I'm keeping this imp.

in bottle: oh boy this is strong. it reminds me of all the perfume oils my mother would get from the 70's and 80's. it reminds me of the smell of the incense called Night Queen.

wet on skin: still very strong. still reminding me of old perfume oils from the 80's. I don't even know how to pick out the different notes. this scent in itself is a note.

dry: it is toned down a lot and I like it a lot more. it smells very exotic and I can smell the jasmine and rose. definitely not me, I prefer more subtle Juliet-type florals.

In the imp: Sweet Frangipani on top with a thick liquid soap scent underneath

Wet/Drydown: Smells like powdery soap. I can barely detect any of the florals mentioned in the description. I do smell some sort of rain incense smell in the middle, though.

Overall: Didn't amaze me, would be lovely on someone else if that person's body would cooperate and make it softer.

Sweet/green/floral, much too floral; at times it seems that there's a waft of decaying-flower aroma underlying it, like being under the bush where all the petals have dropped into the steamy mud. At least it doesn't smack me over the head with ROSE. It's not a bad or unpleasant scent, just not something that appeals to me at all. Swap pile for this one.

Delight: Very winey in the imp.

On: Sour and harsh, I'm guessing from the jasmine. It's very strong!

Dry: Wow, what a transformation! It's now an even, rich floral with a hint of spice. Unfortunately, it faded on me after only a half hour.

In the bottle: Jasmine and roses and something even more powerful, which reminds me of cola and lemon. It reminds me of "Wicked", one of my favourites, with a twist.

Wet: Very much like in the bottle, with a sort of citrusy sharpness to it.

Drydown: The rose and jasmine provide a background to this very sharp smell that I can't identify, the frangipani, I think. It's tart and sweet, like a very unripe fruit. There's also a spicy scent going on in the background, and something that makes me think of creamy vanilla - I'm guessing it's the tuberose.

Overall: This reminds me of something very oriental, like a street market with spices and flowers. As much as I adore "Wicked", I this one doesn't work with me. The added spicy tang takes away a lot of the rose/jasmine sensuality, and it smells quite perfumey and invasive. Weirdly, other people like how it smells on me, and at times I find it rather pleasant, but my nose gets attacked by the frangipani, I'm guessing. *onto the swap pile*