Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
allamanda

Delight

In ancient India it was believed that a specific combination of flower petals, when strewn across a couple’s bed, would amplify desire and sexual pleasure. This blend is a blend of the same floral essences, refined into a gloriously sinful perfume blend. Frangipani, with rose, tuberose, and jasmine.

When first applied, this scent is sharp and I found it unpleasant. But after about 5 minutes it softens down. I like this floral--it makes me feel exotic! After some hours it got a little powdery, but not enough to degrade the scent or bother me.

I didn't think my husband would like such a floral scent very much, but when I wore this he rated it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10. He actually liked it the most during those first, sharp 5 minutes, so different strokes for different folks. :)

In the imp/bottle it's a light sweet jasmine. On me it's very sweet and the frangipani is front and center. I get honeysuckle, organge blossom and jasmine in the background. Really pretty.

Rose, jasmine, and more rose? No, it is NOT a delight!!! As soon as I open it, I’m hit with a powerful wave of the familiar jasmine stank and something that smells like a chemical floral air freshener. I swiped it on for science, and it was immediately much more tolerable. Now it smells like fresh flowers. I have no desire to smell like it, but I also don’t need to run and wash it off. Predictable answer is predictable: if you like florals, you will probably enjoy this. If you don't like florals, this will not be the game-changer.

Blarrghgbhhhh. Ugh, wow. Super fecal florals in the vial. Less so on the skin, but it still reminds me of baby powder on top of a shitty diaper. Dries down to something soapy after a couple hours.

Well, I have a pretty unsophisticated nose and I'm just starting with BPAL, but I find Delight pretty delightful.

In the imp/wet - the plumeria/frangipani is front and center - smells wonderful - like Southeast Asia or the South Pacific. Once on I can smell the jasmine. I love a soft jasmine and it works well here with the frangipani. It is very front and center at this stage.

On the dry down - I can smell a little rose now - I'm not sure I can pick out tuberose as I'm not very experienced, but it is still mostly the Hawaii blend of plumeria and jasmine. Starting to fade ever so slightly.

Dry - Fading down to a lovely mix of the jasmine and plumeria. This scent would be nice in the hot weather.

Conclusion - I like this very much and I suspect the SO will like it too with its suggestion of tropical vacations. But I am still learning what I like and there is so much BPAL to try! I'll hold on to the imp for now, but no big bottle yet.

Received this as a frimp from the lab, and while I used to run screaming from jasmine, I've gone through some chemistry changes recently and it seems to be becoming more wearable for me. This smelled good in the imp so I decided to skin test it.

In the imp: Bright white floral, kind of tropical, very sweet, almost bubblegum-like.

On my skin: still has that bubblegummy aspect at first, but it fades. The jasmine is okay from a distance, but if I sniff my arm closely, it does have that sort of "bathroom" smelling edge to it. I don't really smell rose here.

Overall, this is a bright, cheerful sort of floral where the jasmine behaves more than it usually does (this is not in "wash it off" territory), but it's still a bit iffy with that indolic edge.

After about 30 minutes or so, the indolic/bathroom edge of the jasmine is gone. I like this stage a lot better. I think this imp might be a good one to keep around as a "test" to see how well I'm currently tolerating jasmine!

Edited by sunlitgarden

I tend to avoid jasmine like the plague, but I've learned in my short time with BPAL to try things that I think I'll hate - they usually wind up being better than what I picked for myself. Having said that, Delight was anything but delightful on me. When I opened the frimp, a very, very heavy floral wafted out and filled my room. I was a bit apprehensive, but I dotted one drop on each wrist. This turns into a jasmine single note on me. And it lasts, and lasts and lasts. And lasts. So A+ for longevity, I guess.

Since plumeria/frangipani is native to the New World, I'm not sure how likely it was to have appeared on lovers' beds in ancient India. That is, if "ancient" is s'posed to mean the ancient world... But on to the sniffing.

Bottle: Jasmine and frangipani. The latter smells lighter than my plumeria oil from a different source and works well with the jasmine. As a whole, this smells flowery and a little aquatic to me.

Wet: Jasmine and frangipani. I can pick out rose and what seems to be a skin musk behind it. The mood is light joy and a little aquatic to me, like blossoms floating in a glass dish of clean water.
Dry: A long-lasting, skin-musky floral.

Very pretty free sample! Too floral-dedicated for me, though.

Seems, I am unintentionally on a jasmine testing run today. But, this is a well-balanced jasmine that doesn't overwhelm the rest of the notes. It's still a heady white floral, but lighter with some wispy pink.

Not expecting to like this, cuz jasmine, but I only have a few left to test in the whole Ars Amatoria section, and I am a nutter and need to test them all.

Wet: Yep, jasmine. The rose covers it up a bit, but it's there, doing it's whole feces thing Blah.

Dry: I had this jasmine candle when I was in high school, and I really liked it. This smells as close to that as I have sniffed, but there's still that weird poop undertone I can't get past. I know it's just a trick of my senses, but I don't think I'll ever be able to like jasmine.

In the imp: headache-inducingly sharp frangipani and rose

Wet: same thing ^

Dry: sickly sweet rose bath beads and frangipani

I don't like this, which is such a disappointment because with the notes it contains, I should have loved it. Alas, the rose and frangipani are both way too sharp and artificial for me; it's not even my skin amping something, that's literally all I get in the imp as well. In addition, my skin had a bad reaction to the oil itself, which is a first for BPAL for me; I left it on long enough to get an impression of it dry and furiously scrubbed it off to relive the itching. :c

Delight is a GC Summertime staple for this floral lover!

Sweet, pure flowers. Very clean & unadulterated. I get no powdery or soapy vibe from Delight. It's a little tropical at first, because frangipani is the dominant note while wet. It's strong when first applied, & dries to a lovely, soft, harmonious balance of the 4 flowers.

Absolutely perfect for summer.

By the description I was so in - jasmine, rose! Yes please

Out of the bottle and wet on the skin this is pure jasmine with something a little sweet - maybe the frangipani?

However, after a bit, on the dry down this started to smell like maple syrup. Like jasmine drizzled in maple syrup. Im not sure where that note is coming from but Im not fan.

Then...

it dries down to a lovely Jasmine note. There is still a little of that maple syrup smell in there, but its almost gone now.

I may have to wear this one again to see how it goes. Right now I'm very iffy on it. Im loving the Jasmine but not loving that maple syrup note.

Agh, not in my wheelhouse! Really, really far from my wheelhouse! Pulled at random from my GC imps to test, and I couldn't remember what was in this one. Tuberose is a particularly bad flower on me, jasmine can be problematic, and I generally don't do straight florals.

I would have guessed there was some lotus in here, because there's a bubblegummy quality on wet, which is probably the frangipani, since it's the note I'm least familiar with. This is what floral lovers would probably consider a marvelous, long-lasting, luscious floral. It is way too floral for me!

This really isn’t my sort of perfume, but I’d always wanted to try it anyway so I was delighted (ha!) to find it in my box of old imps. It’s a very humid white floral. It makes me think of Hell’s Belle and the Deep South- it’s a scent that almost condenses humidity and makes it something you can cut through. It’s definitely sweet but not so piercing as gardenia. If you’re a fan of the damp, humid florals, I think this would be fantastic. As for me, I’m so pleased to have tried it, even though it isn’t something I’d wear.

I haven't worn it in a while to give a proper review BUT-

I went to a Holi celebration over the weekend and some of the powders were perfumed. The scent was lovely and slightly familiar, but a little much when it went up your nose (surprise :wink:)

And then yesterday I passed by the dish on the shelf that holds my Delight imp and sniffed it just because I hadn't smelled it in a while. And it kind of reminded me of the scent of the Holi powder. We'd brought the remnants of our packets home and I sniffed them and 'lo and behold, Delight smells like a richer, more warm and balanced version of the scent in the Holi powder!

This reminds me of being back in the Philippines, sitting in my lola's garden and just breathing in the scent of jasmine flowers. Heady and sweet and just a little sharp, settled firmly in that space between soapy and fleshy that actual jasmine always seems to occupy. And it keeps on like that as it dries down--just jasmine, all the way down.

I'm a little disappointed the other notes aren't more present, because I was excited to see an entirely floral fragrance that had all the flowers I love and none I don't, but that's definitely offset by how pleased I am to have such a true jasmine scent.

This is a sweet floral scent that isn't as heady as one might think it would be, given the list of notes. The frangipani and jasmine are the notes that stand out to me the most in the beginning, although the rose and tuberose are there as well. The sweet jasmine in this ends up being the dominant note after several hours of wear, followed by the rose.

It's more pleasant than I thought it would be, but I know I wouldn't reach for this over my preferred sugary floral scents. I am glad I was able to try it, though!

I like it, but unfortunately this is one of those blends where the jasmine is overpowering. I like it, but just not enough to keep the imp! :)

In the vial - Heady, sweet and intoxicating. For fellow Batman fans, I imagine this is what Poison Ivy's hair smells like.

Wet on the skin - Under the  headiness of the jasmine there's something sharp and faintly sour, like the stem of a fresh cut flower. this doesn't last long, and it soon dries to a rich rosy  powdery sweetness.

Dry down - This is a lovely, feminine blend for summer evenings. 

In the imp: Frangipani and a hint of jasmine. I don't get either the rose or tuberose at this stage. 

On my skin:

Frangipani also when wet, though now I can detect hints of the rose but not jasmine. (Rose-jasmine note wars can be epic on my skin.) As it dries, the jasmine comes back out and, yes, tries to dominate the rose. At this point, frangipani is a little confused, and it's making that note go a little humid and wilty and decompositional. 

Rose is losing this round. The combined jasmine and frangipani scent is a little like cut flowers kept in a vase just a little too long. 

A sweet, pleasant floral - tuberose and jasmine, mostly. For the most part it stays the same during its wear, but it does get a bit powdery at the end. I'd call this a springtime floral, as its not as heady as the notes would suggest. 5/10 - a perfectly serviceable floral. Not exciting, but not everything has to be.

OMG I love this! Normally I prefer smelling like a cathedral than a garden but this is divine. Wet it's heady jasmine but not just the flower, it smells like the entire vine and it is glorious. Then it settles down to a deep ambery jasmine that seems to float over a grounding base of the rose; the frangipani lends an eastern vibe though I'm only familiar with it used as a tropical facet. Hubbo said "Amber and Potpourri!" lol but I think that it stays true and heady and only a little powdery, it reminds me of Jean Patou's Joy which I loved as a child, and which now I realise must have been an intentional reference given the name of this frag :D 

Definitely on my wishlist, will layer really well with my amber, oud and sandalwood single notes if the dry down becomes too powdery.  

To me, this is a powdery rose with a hint of jasmine. A very comforting scent, much needed for the day I'm writing this review. I love clean, powdery scents however I can be a bit mixed on florals. In this, I don't think it's too overpowering. If I didn't love Follow Me Boy as much as I do, I would consider this to be bottle worthy. But I'll hold onto this imp for now since I do enjoy it. I wore Artificer the other day which was very strong, I wonder if layering that with this will be a good fit.

I have an imp of this. It's a nice high floral from the jasmine & tuberose, leveled out by rose, & an intense depth from the Frangipani. Like an incense almost but as it fades I get a gentle rose.