Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Vieux Carre

I ordered a ton of rose-scented imps for my mom's Mother's Day present, and was delighted to open the package and find this fabulous lagniappe!

If I have my history right, the French Quarter of New Orleans was originally called the Vieux Carre, or Old Square.

This is a very pretty rose; soft and sweet. Makes me think of Old Venice, but with less brazenness, if that makes sense. It's very feminine, and with a gentle, warm tone. There might be a drop of jasmine and plum here, but I'd guess there's no lemon or red currant that you find in Venice because there's absolutely no sharpness to this scent.

By no means does this have the throw of Old Venice. This is the kind of scent you find by nuzzling up against someone; it's reserved for intimate moments like a goodbye kiss or something much more personal.

Actually, the more I wear this, the more I find my nose buried against my wrist. There's something fleeting and sexual, in a seemingly innocent and catch-me-if-you-can sort of way, buried in the notes of Vieux Carre.

I'm going to revise the "drop of jasmine" to "a couple of drops of jasmine" and guess at a tiny bit of white musk. This has such a beautiful second-skin warmth to it, which seems odd considering it's definitely a floral, that I have to wonder about what Beth uses to heat it up so gently and caressingly.

Staying power seems good; I've had it on about half an hour and it's still hovering close to my skin with the same intensity it started with. Quiet and graceful, Vieux Carre ensnares you so subtly that you don't notice you're head-over-heels until after the fact.

Whatever the notes turn out to be, this is lovely. If you're on the fence about rose scents, put this on, let it dry down for a few minutes, and see if you can resist the southern charm.

I found this extra in my latest box from the lab, and got all excited! I think I'd only even heard of this scent once. Then I read the review and saw the dreaded j-word. Jasmine. Jasmine does loud and unholy on my skin. Still, I had to try.

Wet on me it's a light, green floral, going slightly soapy as it dries. *sigh of relief* No jasmine so far. To me, this is more roses and... dandelions? Maybe lily? They sometimes go *slightly* sharp and soapy on me. I think that maybemaybe the rose note is the green one from rose red. ITt's a rich, soft scent. It's not assaulting my nose, but it's not fading in and out the way many blends do. Huh. Pretty in a kind of old fashioned way. Neat.

Dry: oh, I take it back. Jasmine is definitely in this. As it wears on, the jasmine is slowly coming out and doing it's usual thing: hating me. Sigh. It's slowly amping and warping the perfume. Phooey. Washing this off. Aw man, I can't wash it off completely. :P

Bummer. It was a neat scent before the jasmine gave my skin chemistry the finger.

I was feeling pretty low and worn down after a couple of weeks of just plain ol' ugh -- that is until I found a bottle of this in my big bottle order that arrived today. This one had me worried after reading the above reviews because roses and I have never been on the best of terms with each other, as it usually turns into soap seconds after being applied. Jasmine, on the other hand, just adores my skin -- too much, in fact, since it has a tendency to amp up on my skin.

In the bottle: Rich, sweet rose and warm jasmine immediately jump out at me although I detect other notes under these. Something a little warm and slightly spicy I can't quite put my finger on. Musk perhaps?

Rose and jasmine overall after application. The rose threatens to go soapy at first, but it seems the jasmine and whatever else is in this keeps it from going over the edge. The jasmine isn't going nuts as usual either which is a pleasant surprise. Don't get me wrong: the jasmine is pronounced in this blend, but it isn't hogging the limelight like it usually does on me.

As it dries, the notes start to round out and blend nicely together becoming warmer, deeper, and incredibly elegant as time wears on. I keep sniffing at my hand, waiting for that moment where the rose goes soapy on me, but it never seems to come. It's just sultry goodness wafting up at me. The throw is about medium on me so far when dry.

Final thoughts: I would wear this on an evening out, intimate activites, or just wanting to feel pampered and cozy. Frankly, I never thought I'd fall so head-over-heels for something with rose in it!

OoooOooo my first ever review!!

I got a 5ml of this with my last order. Oh the excitement :D

In the bottle I instantly smell the Rose everyone keeps talking about and a tiny hint of something else.. I wouldnt have picked Jasmine.. that is until it put it on.. Whoa. Pure Rose and Jasmine.. Its absolutely gorgeous.. They stick around for a while then the wet dirt smell I loathe and detest comes out :P and the whole scent turns into something similar to The Premature Burial or Zombi.. I be sad :D

Vieux Carré - I didn’t know what to expect when I tried this. In the vial, it smells floral, but I can’t determine exactly what type of floral. When I apply it, it smells sweet and strong, and almost immediately I smell jasmine. I’m really surprised, however, that the jasmine smells sweet and soft, and very much like an old non-BPAL jasmine oil that I used to wear. I normally detest BPAL jasmine, but in this blend, it’s really beautiful. Underneath the jasmine is the soft scent of (white?) rose, but it’s very subtle. There is also a third note that is very familiar, but which I can’t place. It’s green and just a touch pungent, not quite like dandelion and not quite like grass, but in a similar category. After about 40 minutes of wear, the pungent aspect of the greenery disappears, and the jasmine becomes so subtle that I begin to wonder if this isn’t jasmine, but some other white floral that I’m not correctly identifying. Either way, this is a very pretty scent, and while I don’t find it reminiscent in the least of the Vieux Carré itself, it does remind me of the Garden District neighborhood, just a few blocks over from Vieux Carré. It’s a lovely scent (surprising, considering that Evil Jasmine is in it!) and I see this being a really beautiful springtime scent – very feminine, sultry, and charming. The throw and staying power are both about average.

This smells like rose guest soaps. It's actually a lot like what I expect an old New Orleans floral scent to smell like. Very French, and more refined than New Orleans, which seems like a scent from a later time than Vieux Carre. On my skin, it doesn't change very much. It does get a little less soapy and significantly heavier on the jasmine, though. It smells like it should make me sneeze, but it doesn't. This is a gorgeous floral. Maybe one day I'll get my hands on a 5 mL, but for now two imps (one I just tested and one pending) should hold me.

I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said about this blend. On me, it's insanely strong jasmine and hints of a soapy, sharp rose. The jasmine is sweeter than it usually is on me, with an oddly herbal/green undertone. Definitely a strong floral with a lot of throw. I don't get the earthy note that other people have mentioned, though I wish that it came out on my skin. On me, this is just a strong, simple, soapy floral.

I'm glad that I got the chance to try this one out, but it's definitely not a scent for me.

i didn't get any of the sharpness or headache-inducing-jasmine-to-the-nth-power that some of the other reviewers had with this scent.

Just super-sweet jasmine flowers ('sweet' in the sense that this scent reminds me of candied flowers,like violets or rosepetals),a little bit of tea rose (but not the scary-80's-perfume-type of tea rose :P ),and....dirt. Not the heavy,brooding soil smell of Graveyard Dirt,but the smell of fresh,damp soil after a spring rain.

Beautiful. i will use my imp of this sparingly,hoping that it will be released as a GC scent soon.

In the imp, it smells like a garden. Like sitting in a green courtyard garden, the air heavy with moisture.

On, though, the rose comes out. I guess I'm sitting in a rose garden now, which is cool in real life, but I don't really want to smell like rose.

I do like jasmine but didn't get that from this.

Instead it is a soft rose, and it doesn't, actually offend me like some other rose scents do, but neither do I particularly like it.

Still, glad I got to try this. And thanks to Quikslvr, who included it as a frimp in my decant circle order.

When I sniff this in the bottle I immediately get a mental image of walking through the Garden District. there is nothing like a New Orleans flower garden. The colors and the smells... It's intoxicating.

On my skin this is all spanish moss and roses with the slightest whisper of jasmine. And maybe a bit of skin musk. When it's wet it has alot of throw and the roses are the predominant note. Once it dries though this is soft and sexy and warm... It makes me smile remembering being kissed walking through the District...

I want more. Much more. Is this going to be released soon? Please?

bottle: bright floral, primarily rose

wet: same, a sharpness underlying

dry: there appears to be some jasmine here, and possibly also some vanilla or tonka - because both of these are amping in competition, and the rose is completely covered

later: all jasmine and vanilla. granted, this isn't morphing, headache-inducing jasmine, so it's unexpectedly lovely on me..undoubtedly not the least like it must smell on anyone else, but it's very nice.

Rating (on skin): 1/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Rose and jasmine.

In the bottle: Rose and... vanilla?

On skin, wet: Oy, jasmine. And rose. Both notes have the tendency to... well, they amp like frickin' crazy on me. I don't know that I've ever tried something with both notes, so I'm a little... afraid.

On skin, dry: I will admit, this smells of a garden, both the flowers and the earth. I've never found a rose note that quite mimics the scent of fresh roses (which I adore) for me, but this comes close. That said, it's much too strong for me, and the jasmine is... well, it's being jasmine. I like jasmine, but I don't love it. There's something else; something deep and green. Moss? Leaves? Green earth?

Conclusion/Notes: Rose and jasmine, in equal parts, with a bit of something earthy. Said to say, neither rose, jasmine, nor earth/whatever it really is (if anything) are notes that react particularly well with my skin. Pity, because the rose note itself is quite lovely.

Vieux Carre

In the imp: mossy, dewy roses. I smell the moss note from Bayou in here.

Wet on skin: mossy roses and a hint of jasmine.

Dry: hmm, this is very pretty. It’s a floral garden surrounded by damp moss. the moss note is the one from Bayou (appropriate for a New Orleans themed scent), I think it’s Spanish moss, very different to oak moss, to me it smells strong and wet and green and lichen-like, but with the powdery ‘verdigris’ undertone characteristic of all moss notes. This moss cloaks fragrant blooms of rose and jasmine.

After a while: the moss note strengthens and becomes more powdery-green, I can smell some jasmine, the kind that sometimes smells wilted on me, but the moss prevents that from happening. The scent gets mossier and mossier over time.

Verdict: this is a floral version of Bayou on my skin. Loads of Spanish moss with hints of rose and jasmine. Wet, green, misty, muggy, but not as oppressive as Bayou. This does smell like a garden in deep swampy land, I can smell heat and humidity here. This reminds me of Zombi as well, it has the same decaying feel to it but without soil. The rose is pretty while it lasts but eventually the scent is covered with overgrown moss, this note really amps on my skin in here. I like it but there’s too much moss, not enough flowers. I’m not sure if I’ll get more if it will be released or if it will be like Val Sans, Decadence etc, a scent that probably won’t go public, but I’m glad I got to try this rare scent.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? I’m not sure. I like it but it’s not my favourite rose/garden scent.

I just got this as an extra bottle in my large order. When I opened the bottle it was definitely WOAH JASMINE AND ROSE! I was a little scared (ok, a lot) since jasmine is not so hot on me, but I gave this one a go anyway.

There must be some tea rose in this, since I smell that sharp acetone smell that only tea rose gets on my skin. However, there is also something sweet in with these evil little flowers (vanilla?) that is enticing me. This reminds me of a voodoo blend, for some reason, although I totally forget which one. Follow Me Boy, perhaps?? I don't smell the dirt though, which is too bad 'cause I love dirt scents.

Surprisingly enough, as it dries, the sharp rose dies down, and it is a more sweet and subdued floral blend. Not something I'd wear often, but it is tolerable on my skin. Who knew, maybe my chemistry is changing!

VIEUX CARRE

In Bottle: Sweet floral

On Skin: I get honeysuckle and jasmine from this. A very sticky sweet floral with a slight soapy note. There is also a light tart note which I think is rose. This scent reminds me of my grandmothers little guest soaps. Dainty, floral and clean and slightly waxy. This is a very feminine scent, floral to the extreme, but as the scent develops it does mellow out and reminds me of a potpourri packets for the lingerie drawer. Very womanly and very pretty. It has a light to average throw but fades quicker than other scents so I’d say a short to average wearlength.

This is one beautiful floral! I can't wait to see how it compares side by side to White Moon.

Vieux Carre started off as a delicate breath of jasmine and honeysuckle. The longer it wore on my skin, the more it started to bloom. A heady explosion of white flowers, just beautiful. I didn't get much roses, if any, thank goodness. That would have been the kiss of death for me. Very evocative of its namesake, with a touch of its magic as well.

i am scared to open this vial...jasmine??? but alas i simly must. and i hope jasmine uncharacteristically behaves.

in the bottle: strong floral.

wet: honeysuckle...not getting much else.

hmm, i don't get my usual jasmine reaction w/ this (usually get rusty nail from jasmine) instead i am getting a more lily, waxy clean reaction, the honeysuckle burns off fast, and then this becomes a springy white floral. nothing really soft about it, but it isn't sharp either.

so i guess i would sum up the scent as a strong honeysuckle opener, drying into a very white, clean, spring floral.

Edited by shelldoo

I'm not so good at picking out floral notes. My nose tends to get them confused sometimes. However, whenever I smell something heady and strong, it almost always winds up being jasmine. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm smelling here.

It's not simply jasmine; there's more to it. There's something in it that seems dewy, kind of watery and clear. Also slightly creamy. It develops a dryness over time, too. Maybe a dry wood like cypress? I like this one better than most of the jasmine scents I've tried.

I have my handy dandy sniffie of the honeysuckle single note right here, and nope, that's not what I'm smelling. It's definitely jasmine. I mean, there might be other florals in there too, but I can't smell anything beyond the jasmine.

soggy roses and sweet jasmine---a warm jasmine, and not unpleasant for once.

unfortunately, this has that old lady bath salt smell that i can't stand. thanks to edenssixthday for the chance to try it though <3

Imp: Um, jasmine rears its head. It wants to make sure I know its there before I try putting it on my skin. Its trying to scare me off, and it would work if not for that pesky "must try everything on skin" rule that I have. Jasmine, honeysuckle? and maybe rose (white)?

Wet: I think I smell jasmine and honeysuckle. Not much else. Maybe a bit of dirt?

Dry: Jasmine/Rose. Okay, its not that awful--usually jasmine goes to complete cat pee on me. This is...well...its cat-pee-esque, but not nearly as bad as some I've had....

Overall: Jasmine/Rose floral, bit of honeysuckle, bit of dirt? Nope, not me, but glad I got to try it!

First sniff: At first I thought this was a musky aquatic, which is an odd combination. It’s light and sweet over the deep furry base. After reading previous reviews, well of course that’s jasmine, what was my nose thinking? Jasmine and white musk. Very shimmery. I’m not getting the rose pile-on, thankfully.

Wearing: This is really beautiful. The jasmine in most BPAL blends goes screamingly sweet on me, but this ain’t it. It’s a nice round just-sweet-enough white floral, with maybe a hint of rose around the edges but not enough to make it powdery. I’m thrilled I got to try it. Thanks, vacpl!

OH DEAR GAAAAAAAAWWWWWD.

This would have to be one of my ALL TIME FAVES.

And I have one ittle wittle decant... I shall hold you so tight, ittle decant... THOUGH I WANT TO SLATHAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! :P

The general feeling I have about this scent is AIIIIIIIYEEEEEEEEE!! DO ME IN A HOTHOUSE, HUSBAND!!!!!!! :D

That is all.

5/5.

This is beautiful! There is a French twist to the florals, a refinement. I smell mostly honeysuckle and a lush, warm jasmine. Possibly rose, or some other voluptuous flower. I also get a touch of greenery and dampness; not quite aquatic but is moist. I WANT more of this. It is so gorgeous, and it reminds me of my trip to New Orleans.