Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Nia

Best scents for performing, public speaking, anytime on stage

Can anyone suggest an Oriental-dance-mood-enhancing perfume? Obvious names are Scheherezade, but I hate musk; and Seraglio, but I'm more into the Goddess/mystic/Folklore/I dance for myself side of things and the odalisque/seraglio theme it's just not for me.

I need a sexy smell that makes me feel great and confident, maybe flowery, not musk, not too sweet. Dancing means sweat and my sweat is kind of yeasty. Spicy is good, but as I search on the main site, "middle eastern spices" tends to come together with musk. Eww.

OK, I am so new I have hardly tried any scents yet....but you might consider Queen of Sheba, which is a kind of spicy almond thing. I'm not big on musks and I find Q of S to be really nice. And she was certainly and interesting (& powerful) historical figure.

Can't help you with florals as they're not my thing. You might look at the reviews for some of the voodoo blends--I think a couple of those are supposed to be for personal power/creativity/etc. rather than seduction, and the reviews can clue you in as to the notes in them.

hmm! interesting question. queen (just plain queen, in the voodoo section) is the first thing that came to mind. it's very powerful and "female". not very floral, really. very unique.

others that come to mind:

morocco, bengal, the coiled serpent, serpent's kiss. maybe baghdad?

Thanks everyone! After taking a look at the reviews forum, I think I would love silk road, although the descriptions of Queen are so disagreeing that they make me curious to try it!

Bengal might be just the thing for me, dance or no dance, if it didn't smell of musk on me. It's not the ethical thing; I just don't like it.

This is exciting, as I haven't yet tried any BPAL scents but I'm getting an idea of which could become my favourites!

Bengal might be just the thing for me, dance or no dance, if it didn't smell of musk on me. It's not the ethical thing; I just don't like it.

There isn't any ethical concern with BPAL's musks since none of them are animal based.

If you like spice you may want to try some of the Ars Draconis blends -- depending on how the dragon's blood resin works on you they can be a lovely, spicy incense scent without any musk. Dragon's Tears is spicy lilacs and incense on me, for example -- exotic and feminine without being cloying or overpowering. And you may want to explore some of BPAL's musks even though you don't care for the scent. I say this as someone who not only doesn't care for the smell of musk, but is outright made nauseous. Much to my surprise I've found that I don't even notice some of the BPAL musks (such as whatever is in Bewitched, sent to me as a gimp by the lovely Firewaver), or that I can tolerate the scent (such as Silk Road -- I can pick out the musk, but it's not unpleasant and it doesn't give me a headache or churn my stomach).

Oooh, I forgot to say Baghdad. Its a dark, sexy, musky spicey rose. Really complex and fun to wear.

You know what scent I wear a lot when I'm dancing??

Believe it or not... "Anne Bonny".

Anne Bonny smells the most like a belly dance scent to me. More so than a pirate scent.

But I also wear "Tushnamatay", and "Cathedral", too, which most people wouldn't associate with dance by the descriptions. On me, the resin and spice bases REALLY jump out. And to me, that's what dance scents should smell like. Spice... warm... inviting.

-L

I've been going out of my mind in preparation of my final skit in my acting class. I need a scent that will make me do my best, and I'm going to make do with what I've got.

My character is an uptight Jeopardy coach and I think I'm going to use Xiuhtecuhtli because I freaking love it and it could keep me thinking "old and uptight, expensive clothing, purpose in life."

Anyone have an recs for what to wear when performing (as confidence boosters)?

The things that come to mind right away as confidence boosters to me are Arcana, High John the Conqueror, Moxie, Queen, Tarot: strength, and the discontinued Crucible of Courage.

Well, I only just received my Click N Ship for my very first order and am planning my next order already. Too soon to be hooked? :P

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can think of good scents for performing (such as in plays, musicals, etc)? What about rehearsing? or auditions?

Or on another topic, what about for taking exams?

I feel like something fresh that would keep you focused and awake would be good for both of these... but nothing too overpowering.

But I'm open to (and curious about) all suggestions!

thanks ;D

CHARISMA

This is a powerful attraction and advancement blend. It aids in polishing and magnifying your best qualities, while downplaying your flaws. Increases charm and wit, and helps you shine in a crowd. Wear a drop on each chakra point.

For performing, the Muses would be appropriate--and you've got a bit of choice among them as to which one would be most suited to the type of performance you're involved in (e.g. comedy, tragedy, etc.).

For the other activities you mention, there are some existing recommendations threads that might be of use to you. For very physical kinds of rehearsals, you might want to check out the "scents to wear in the gym" thread here:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=299

And for writing exams (as well as learning lines *g*), check out the oils recommended in the "studying, learning, exams" thread here:

http://www.bpal.org/index.php?showtopic=12047

I use a strange combo of sorts - Charisma on the palms of my hands, Coiled Serpent at the base of my spine, and Phantom Queen everywhere else. Then I'm shiny!

Yeah...I get stage fright. *eyeroll*

Also, trial and error has taught me to stay away from aquatics or sharper florals...they're fine for everyday, but make my throat all funny when I sing.

This isn't performing per se, but I am a potter and I have had great luck wearing Wolf's Heart and focus/productivity. For all visual artists out there...

Well I am a bellydancer and I've worn Scherezade, Snake Charmer and Athens when I perform. I also used a bit of the heart and throat chakra oils the last time I performed. I figured the heart one would open up my emotions and the throat one would help me to communicate those emotions to the audience (actually I don't really have trouble doing that at all but I thought it would give a little extra boost). I got pretty good compliments that night but I"m not sure how much of it was due to the oils.

I can't seem to find charisma, was it LE? Because I'm really interested in trying that one :D

otherwise, I'm definetley going to look into the other suggestions, and check out the other threads posted.

Thank so much!

feel free to keep posting suggestions for my benefit and for anyone else who might be interested :P

I always use Euterpe for important performances (I'm a classical/ avant garde musician). Euterpe is my muse and this blend always does wonders to give me confidence and focus. Perhaps it is the mental association, but nevertheless, it works great for me. Also, this fragrance is much much better with age, so I recommend letting ti sit a few weeks before you use it.

(I also get tons of compliments backstage...i.e. "what's that great smell!?" which is always nice)

thanks!

don't know that I'm ready for something I can't buy in an imp yet, but I'll definetley take a look at it in the future :P

Charisma is VERY worth it. I filmed two shorts for two friends (at the same time) recently and using Charisma really did get me focused. A bottle is definately worth the purchase if you perform often, maybe someone would even be willing to take half of the bottle from you.

Hymn to Pan is another TAL that is very worth it. Every bit rockstar god as Pan is. It's amazing, that's for sure.

I love the idea of the muses, some of the excolo scents have special meaning behind them, too. Aizen-Myoo works in a wierd way, but is a little shocking to the senses at first.

Aizen-Myoo is the patron of prostitutes, of joyous, unbridled sexuality and of all forms of erotic love and is worshipped by all those in the sex industry, musicians, and – oddly – landlords. Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

Almost all the muses would work for performing, one for every type of performance or show.

Or on another topic, what about for taking exams?

TAL's Concentration is the obvious choice. :-) Bengal smells like a chai latté, if that's the sort of thing that comforts you.

Charisma and Brass Balls are vital.

But I usually just pick a scent that suits the character I'm playing. Otherwise the blend I'm wearing will just distract me.

I should hopefully be getting a decant of charisma in a decant circle, so I'll be able to try it and maybe want to buy my own bottle too :P

Edited by Natch

Had to bump this thread because I've been pondering the same question. I'm really looking for something "Middle Eastern" in feel, with spice and warmth. I wanted to love Scherezade, but it did something kind of wonky on me, I think due to the musk. Morocco did something similar. Rose seemed to ruin a few others I wanted to love -- Seraglio and Baghdad, if I'm remembering correctly (rose and my skin apparently do not get along). Also, sadly, almond doesn't work for me, so Queen of Sheba was a no go.

So, to summarize, anyone have suggestions for a spicy, warm scent that would fit with dancing but that doesn't include rose, too much musk or almond? Tall order, I know, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Oh, I've recently discovered I love Tushnamatay, and it's in the right family of scents, I think, but it's too subtle for what I'm looking for.

TIA! :P