Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
MrsSoup67

The most hippie / hippy scent you have tried?

I love patchouli, sandalwood and musk. Current favorites are Snake Oil, Dragon Musk. Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks! :P

Anne bonny is beautiful and packed full of patchouli and sandalwood, plus frankincense. Definitely hippie, though of course it depends how it wears on you. Someone i know wears it and it smells almost fruity on her skin.

I find that some of the more incensey scents make think hippie - sri lanka for example, or cairo. Scherezade is a musky one that does the same.

Greed is a truly deeply gorgeous patchouli scent that is wearable for me because the heliotrope and copal round it out in a way that makes it not-too-hippie (because personally i don't like to smell hippie-ish, even though i like many hippie-associated scents). Perhaps it would work for you.

Edited by this machine

Not perhaps what you'd immediately think of as a hippy scent, but the deep earthy goodness of Burial doesn't get nearly enough love!

URD! Uuuuurrrrrd! It's the ultimate nag champa hippie store scent and it's my favorite!

Hellion is very similar if you can find it.

I thought Death Cap was wonderfully earthy in a sweet, incensy kind of way. That's another favorite.

Anne Bonny has already been mentioned of course but yeah, that too! :P

I find the majority of the Ars Draconus line to smell much like an occult shoppe or bong shop.

The one's I would suggest most would be Dragon's Claw, Dragon's Hide and Dragon's Musk (also the original Dragon's Blood), but the rest are variants on a theme.

About half of what I've tried actually :P a kind of dark "murkiness"...Dragon's Blood, patchouli, vetiver...prolly other notes but I'm too lazy to do a full analysis XP

Non-BPAL perfumery often uses these "hippie" notes, but in pretty minute amounts (at least, according to my nose).

Aeval has a deep patchouli essence. *g*

o.o; odd...I don't smell patchouli at all in Aeval! At least...I don't think I do...<.<;;; *can never be sure, really*

Imp

Sri Lanka

Dance of Death

Clio

[edited to add: I keep my reviews in a Word file, and when I searched on 'hippy' these are the reviews that came up :P]

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

With BPAL, I think it would be so hard to tell. I used to avoid patchouli like the plague because it's such a 'hippie' scent. Now I'm in love and this smells nothing like what I was used to.

But if Sarada is comparing Urd to Nag Champa, go for it! You can always tell when a hippe festival is in town since my store sells out of Nag Champa instantly. :P

I love The Caterpillar for its hippy scent. The Premature Burial smells very hippy'ish to me also (it's an LE though).

Is Urd a GC scent? Cannot find it in the search because it is a three lette word. I go all hippy, dippy, trippy in the summer (notice my icon) and I need to smell like a head shop. I just ordered Woodstock on DVD and if I get the right scent I will be ready :P School lets out next week I am get a bit nervous....What to do? What to do? Thanks for the info.

Of those I have tried,

Love Me

and

Tezcatlipoca

are the hippiest.

Love Me smells just like the hippie herb shop in my town when was growing up in the 70's, and Tezcat is very insencey (once the chocolate burns off).

:edited for bad typing, of course

Edited by urbanruralferal

I think Urd is in Excolo, so a search at the Lab site. Alternately, search for patchouli or muscadine(the berry in Urd)

My votes: (because i am obsessed with patchouli too)

Urd

Imp (in Diabolous I think)

Depraved (if you don't like it at first, let it sit for a while and come back to it)

Scherezade

Lust

Dragon's Bone (for sandalwood)

Morocco

Sin

Tarot: Judgement

The Caterpillar is my favorite GC scent so far - but I don't get the real heavy 'head shop' aroma from it at all...on me it's an earthy floral with sporadic wisps of incense. Quite magical to my senses. :P

I recently tried Urd and totally *love* it. Here's an excerpt from the notes I made about the scent...

this is quite an ideal presentation of patchouli...it's not the heavy incense that hangs in the air and permeates every porous surface it touches kind of head shop smell - it's the 'good stuff' that's kept behind the counter.

I'm wearing Hollywood Babylon today, and through it's cherry sweetness, it has a really great combo of amber and musk...probably not what you're looking for though.

I've tried some of the others that have been mentioned in the thread here too, but I'd give my strongest vote to Urd.

Aeval has a deep patchouli essence. *g*

o.o; odd...I don't smell patchouli at all in Aeval! At least...I don't think I do...<.<;;; *can never be sure, really*

It does to me and I gave it to someon else who thought so too. But, things smell different to different people. :P

Aeval contains: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

No patchouli listed and to me it smelled mostly like sweetpea...i.e. a very sweet, slightly fruity, slighty cloying dewy floral.

URD is definitely the ultimate headshop scent I think!

Anything containing red musk has a bit of that hippie vibe in it too in an incensy kind of way (not patchouli, not vetiver, not champa, but just something rich and deep red, musky and sultry). Lust, Scherezade, Fenris Wolf and Spellbound are all good red musk scents....

but then again hippie scents are my favorite so I kind of over-scrutinize them! :P

The my initial reaction to Vixen was, "hippie shop!" It has a strong patchouli component. It's also drop. dead. sexy. It's one of my favorite scents, it's in the general catalogue, and from reviews I think a lot of people find it very wearable. Besides patchouli, it's also got ginger and orange blossom.

Aeval contains: sage, sweet pea, bold pale musk and warm tonka.

No patchouli listed and to me it smelled mostly like sweetpea...i.e. a very sweet, slightly fruity, slighty cloying dewy floral.

URD is definitely the ultimate headshop scent I think!

Anything containing red musk has a bit of that hippie vibe in it too in an incensy kind of way (not patchouli, not vetiver, not champa, but just something rich and deep red, musky and sultry). Lust, Scherezade, Fenris Wolf and Spellbound are all good red musk scents....

but then again hippie scents are my favorite so I kind of over-scrutinize them! :P

Perhaps it's the sage that reminds me of patchouli though they are quite different usually. However, reviewers seemed to be evenly divided between a sage/musk interpretation (a few people said occult bookshop) and those who get only the floral sweet pea effect.

Here's the review topic if anyone's interested. Snake Oil remains my favorite of those mentioned so far. *g*