Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Tamora

Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean.

In the vial: SWEET peach. I'm concerned.

Wearing: The vanilla in this the very creamy, sweet type - not my favorite - and the combo of the heliotrope with the peaches makes for an overripe quality.
The touch of amber in the background only serves to make things even sweeter in this blend.

Yikes. This one did not work for me at all.

Tamora smells sweet, fruity and creamy in the imp. On me, it's very peach. PEACH! it's almost like March Hare in its strong fruitiness. It's yummy, like a peach pie or cobbler or something, and it's making me hungry for a peach-based dessert, but it's not a smell I really see myself wearing.

A little bit later the sandalwood comes out and it reminds me of the sandalwood in Velvet – Tamora is like peach-flavored Velvet, not brown but pinky-golden, lush and warm. I still like it, but I don't identify with it. If I had a friend into fruit scents, I'd give it to her so I could smell it on her....as it is, I'll probably swap it.

Edited by isyche

In the vial: Candy! That is the first thing that popped into my head, though I couldn't tell you what sort of candy. The peach is definitely there, but very faint, and I can only smell the vanilla because I know it's what's making this so sweet. I catch the amber in the background, making this a tiny bit resiny, and keeping it from being purely foody. Very sweet, very sticky, very warm.

Wet: The peach comes out a bit more, but it's still not the authentic tart peach I would like; then again, this is peach blossom so that's probably why. As the seconds pass I start to smell the sandalwood. This is still very sweet, but it doesn't smell like vanilla to me.

Dry: It's starting to remind me of Dorian with its fruity sweetness. It's also grown a tad bit smoky in a very interesting way, and it could be my imagination but I think I'm smelling a bit of cold mint as well. I'm still not picking up any floral whatsoever.

An hour later: Now the peach smells more like a real peach! Except it's not, because it's much too sweet and sugary to be a real peach. This is Fuzzy Peach candy, oh yes, that's exactly what is it. I no longer smell the sandalwood or amber, but that's all right, possibly even for the better because this is so damn delicious!

Overall: Yum, yum, yum! I want to eat myself up! Anyone who loves sweet foody scents, as I do, will not be able to resist Tamora. I can't wait to walk around smelling like such delicious candy! This might even have to go onto my bottle wishlist!

In the imp: Sweet, kinda peachey, and something more solid.

On, wet: Sickly-sweet too-much-peach, but with a promising undertone.

Later: For my first sandalwood blend, this is encouraging. The amber and sandalwood even out the peach, make it less offensively sweet. Can smell just a hint of vanilla now, too. Quite nice.

In the imp: a light, honeyed floral. I can pick up the heliotrope, and it must be the amber and/or sandalwood that's giving it a bit of depth and richness, keeping it from being too floral for me to want to try.

Wet: Ew. This immediately goes way sweet on me. I'm immediately smelling artificial fruit snacks and cotton candy. Since I'm not into sugary things, this is not good.

Dry Down: The florals gome back out a bit, but the sweetness doesn't go away, so it's like someone stuck a handful of flowers into a cloud of cotton candy. I can't handle the sweetness any more - going to wash this off.

Into the swap pile with this one.

Tamora is one of the most beautiful blends that I've ever had the pleasure of wearing.

I don't even know how to begin to describe how amazing this is. I don't really like fruity scents. This is fruity, but not. Sweet, yet not really sugary sweet. On first sniff, I thought of white grapes drenched in dew.

This is soft, sweet, and creamy, yet at the same time sparkling. Very girlie. In the drydown this reminds me of when I was little, sitting up in the branches of our peach tree and touching all of the soft, fuzzy fruits. They smelled sweet, delicate, and magical.

Tamora smells magical to me. I must have a few 10 ml bottles of this.

I thought that I would fall in love with Tamora. She is many things that I love...amber, sandalwood...I was hoping that she could be the peach for me...the peach that did not drip with sour overripeness. She did deliver on that note, but alas, there was the heliotrope: sharp, bitter, and astringent; It makes the blend smell like a designer baby aspirin washed down with grape soda...at least on my skin. I am thinking that on someone else, it could smell lovely.

Sniffle - Hmm...definitely sweet peach, and something else just behind it. Something soft, fuzzy, and with the potential to be powder.

Swipe - Perky peach, sweet as can be and just lovely. I can't seem to pick out the other notes quite as easily, though the rest of them sound just lovely.

Drydown - Ultra Mega Powder. It's a sickening powder/playdoh/burn off mish-mash of stuff that turns my stomach. Why is it the scents I really hope will work on me, don't usually? And why does no one else seem to have this issue? It's not singular to me, I've had scents take on a similar super-drydown on my bf. It's gotta be the base/carrier oils, as I've had it happen with perfumes other than BPAL, and nothing with similar notes. *sigh* :P

Tamora:

In the bottle: Very fruity, almost a berry-like smell

Wet: You know those jelly-fruits? This smells like that.

Drydown: Yes, it definitely smells like candy-berry or jello-berry, not true nature-created berry. Ah. I've placed it. Peach. That explains a lot: me and peach don't usually get along. Hey, at least this one isn't smelling like chicken fat! (Which is what Bath&Body Works' peach body cream smelled like on both me and my mom...nasty.)

Conclusion: unless it morphs again in a little bit, sell

Bottle: a peach that feels artificial, supplemented by various other notes.

Drydown: the peach becomes warmer, much more natural, and blends.

Worn: golden and luscious, mellow but with some energy. The amber gives depth to what otherwise could be too much fruity sweetness, and in general it's peachy without being foody. It lasts nicely on my skin, with just a hint of throw.

Conclusion: of my first set of imps, this is one of two that I'm most likely to buy in a larger bottle.

Wet: I smell grape or pomegranate and patchouli?

Drydown four hours later: Oddly, this scent has just gotten stronger over time. It's not raw, mind, like oils are straight from the imp, but it is strong. I can't put my fingers on the notes, but I really like this and will definitely use the imp.

Oro

Golden peaches with vanilla. I definitely smell the peach and amber- they combine on my skin to almost introduce a "tea" note to the mix. I am not sure what heliotrope smells like, but I do detect a slight floral note too. It is beautifully blended, and has quite a bit of lasting power. I put it on over 3 hours ago, and it is still going strong.

Lovely! The peach and amber really go well together. Makes for a perfect summer or spring perfume. Sweet and light, but with the sandalwood it somehow stays fairly grounded and spicy. Very stunning scent! A little too sweet for my personal tastes as a perfume, but for those looking for something sweet but not *too* sweet, try Tamora. It's delicious and unique.

Wet: smells like those Fuzzy Peach Slices candy. One of my favourites. I kind of want to chew on my wrist.

Dry: Sweet, fruity and yummy.Not a lot of throw, but it sits all golden-peachy peachy. Sometimes heliotrope and I don't get along, but we sure are now. I think that's what's adding the Fuzzy Peach-ness.

15 Minutes later: It's faded to the point where I'd need to be nuzzled for someone to notice. I for one, have no problem with this. Nice for when I feel like snuggling and smelling like candy. So much more floral than anything I usually go for, but soooo cute. And it invites nuzzling. So woo!

in the bottle: sickly sweet fruit candies

on me: Have you ever poached fruit in vanilla and then served them with a vanilla sauce? Well that's pretty much what I smelled like an hour ago. The fruit scent isn't specifically the peach others are getting (which is good, since my husband hates peaches) but instead is a light juicy sweetness.

As the morning is progressing I think the sandalwood is coming out more (it's been 3 1/2 hours since I first applied). It's still poached fruit with vanilla sauce, only now it's being served in room with a little incense.

The scent is quite lovely really. It's light enough to not be overbearing, however the throw is pretty good so I get gentle wafts of scent as I move.

On me, the peach really shines in this blend--it's almost a single note.

It's sparkly and bright; fruity and sweet.

This is lovely and gentle--it would be perfect on a young girl, and is one of those soft perfumes you could wear around people who don't like strong scents.

I could have sworn I'd posted a negative review about this one, but now that I want to revise it, I can't find it anywhere. Oh, well.

Tamora smelled absolutely horrid when I first received it. It had a bit of sweetness from the peach, but something else overwhelmed it with a rather rotten scent. I was so disappointed.

Apparently, however, Tamora ages well. By now, it is a lovely peach-and-sandalwood scent, very golden, very rich. I love wearing this one. The longer I wear it, the more the sandalwood (and maybe the amber) comes out, but the peachy sweetness is always there. It's beautiful.

It's not at all a light scent on me and has excellent throw with just a drop or two applied to my skin. It lasts forever on my skin -- yesterday I put some on before work, and I could still smell it when I came home 10 hours later.

Sweet peaches and sticky spicey amber.

This is a really fruity, sweet scent. Very pretty. Didn't last long on my skin (maybe 30min?).

Reminds me of peach gummy candy!

It smelled very indistinct and sharp in the vial, but once on it transformed into a soft sparkling cloud of sweetness and fruit. There's definitely vanilla and maybe a peach in there, but my nose isn't trained enough to be sure of what I'm smelling.

For me, this is a celebration-relaxation type scent. It's almost got a 'young' feeling, and it's definitely happy.

This one melds really perfectly to the skin. The balance of peach and sandalwood is just right for it to be not too sweet, but not too woody. It's unobtrusive and perfect for day to day wear. I love it!

I didn't expect to like this one, but I was surprised by it. It's light but has good throw, and the peach and vanilla pop right out. There's also a floral quality, but it stays light and soft. The amber and sandalwood don't really jump out at me, but that's for the best since amber and I don't always get along.

I wore just a little bit of this on my wrists and in my hair. It stayed strong for several hours, but it wasn't overpowering - just a light, perfume/shampoo sort of smell that I liked. I'm not a big girly-perfume wearer, so it probably won't be part of my regular rotation. But when I want something pretty and feminine, this is a great choice.

I keep getting frimps of Tamora -- I will definitely try to keep one for next spring/summer. It smells almost exactly like Fae, to me -- I used to have a bottle of that, but I never wore it.

Basically, it smells like peach. The lab's peach, which is very nice, and like Fae this is held in place by amber, which is a perfect match with peach. It makes the soft, golden fruity scent long-lasting, and gives it some extra throw and sweetness. Really nice stuff. Completely inappropriate for this time of year but this was the only imp I had with me at work when my Talvikuu started to wear off...and I must smell something!!

I like every ingredient in this blend to some degree, and even vanilla (an 'iffy' ingredient for me) lends its sweetness without being overpowering. I love heliotrope, for the special bright fruity sweetness that it brings to a blend...it's one of the only florals that I like consistently.

If you liked Fae, you should like this, but they're so similar I think most people could take "either-or". Fae did seem a wee bit licoricey to me, and Tamora is a lot sweeter, so there's the difference. I think this would be perfect for spring or early summer when you need a fruity, sunshiney blend.

I would really love a shampoo or lotion out of this too, since I rarely wear scents like this on their own but it would be very refreshing in the bath. As far as peaches go I'd tend more towards using Imp, which is a darker, earthier version, with patchouli.

preconceived notion: Sounds kind of busy, with those flowers and spices and the vanilla. I really hope it is not too much of a good thing.

in the imp: This scent almost shocked me with its pristine sweetness. I get a creamy peach out of this, like a peach sorbet in a glass drizzled with peach nectar. This scent has to be DANGEROUS around bees: I have the feeling that it would draw them in from miles around. And I wouldn't blame them: I find this gorgeous beyond measure, girly in a totally opposite way to all the sexy male scents BPAL has. Decidely sapphic.

wet: OMG THIS IS SO PRETTY. You know, usually I'm wincing on the vanilla but here it adds exactly the right note. Instead of getting that "cheap vanilla perfume" scent I'm finding it to be kissable and lush. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen was a cheerleader at an Albion College football game I went to recently, a tall girl with warm-black hair in long curly pigtails tied with yellow ribbons, dark eyes, and pink flushed cheeks. In the purple-and-gold cheerleader's outfit, she looked like a liveried fairy goddess rather than a human being. She was intensely fetching in the careless, perfect way of a distant beauty conforming to an iconic role. And this scent seems like something a girl like here would wear.

drydown: more of the same, girlcrush to the max. I want to be the girl would would suit this fragrance, but I also want to be WITH the girl who would suit this fragrance. I feel kissable and cuddlesome and small with this on, very feminine and pink. This would be the perfect fragrance for a summer evening's walk along the beach.

verdict: this might seriously become my favourite BPAL yet.

post-conceived notion: The busy nature of this fragrance actually recommends it; the blend is perfect so the overall impression is sophisticated and subtle. If I had to give this fragrance a name, I'd call it Susan (after the archer-queen of C.S. Lewis' Narnia series).

Peach blossom? Uh oh.... Normally I'm a bit apprehensive with peach scents, and I normally don't care for them.

However, I did enjoy Titania, so there are always scents that break rules. Let's see how Tamora fares.

The peach wasn't so bad on my skin. At first it smelled a bit like sugared ladyparts, but given a minute to dry down, it smells like lollipops. It's quite a feminine, "girly-girl" scent, practically a giggle in a bottle.

Then... my skin seems to go, "Right, enough with that nonsense," and proceeds to absorb most of the throw of the fragrance. Tamora is faintly squeaking out "peeeaach laaadyyy biiiits" from my swatch of skin on my arm, and though the scent isn't bad, I'm not too sure I could wear this often. It's quite light, as if I applied body spray rather than oil.

This scent is very much a spring/summer fragrance, but that's just my opinion. I'm still kind of ambivalent towards the peach note, although BPAL makes it so much better than every other place out there. Seriously, most peach scents make me want to gag. With regards to my imp of Tamora, I think I'll go ahead and just let this one pass me by. The fruity fragrance isn't something I think I'd wear often, but it isn't bad.

-doreen

I was surprised to find that, while Tamora is indeed a somewhat sweet, light scent, there's a definite depth and almost bitterness here. It smells great, and it's very pretty, and I'm almost at the point of liking it...but there's something about it that's a little off. I think it's the way the amber, heliotrope and sandalwood all blend together, most likely the heliotrope, though I can't really put my finger on it. In the earlier stages I do get a fruity feel from the peach blossom, but that fades out as the other "off" notes take over. Maybe it will work better on someone else.