Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Tamora

Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean.

In the imp it smells like that pink antibiotic liquid they give you as kid. Weird.

The second it hits my skin I get a big whiff of the sandalwood. How appropriate. She's sickly sweet and then hits you with the dryness. As it calms down, it's pretty much all amber and sandalwood, which I like a lot. The vanilla gives it a nice creaminess, but doesn't add much more than that. If I put on more, it starts to smell a little like dill, which I've discovered is the sandalwood. Go figure. I though I loved sandalwood, but after playing with different BPAL scents, I realize in large quantities it smells like dill on me. Luckily, this blend is softer so if I'm careful it doesn't go there.

For those unfamiliar with Titus Andronicus, I'll tell you right now, if ever one of Shakespeare's plays was written for the masses, this is it. Blood, Guts, Gore and Lust. The Goth Queen is a piece of work, as well, she's captured by Titus, marries the Roman leader, then carries on an affair with Aaron the Moor. Her sons who were captured with her are true despots, and maim Titus daughter, and the whole thing ends Sweeney Todd style with everyone dead. And Tamora is the one to blame. The movie, directed by Julie Taymor is quite excellent, and Jessica Lange plays a mean Tamora.

So does this scent evoke her? I think so, at least on me, she's sweet, almost too sweet to begin with, but once on me she shows her true colors, dusty and dry, but soft (which is the part of her that loves still). Whether this one is destined for a bottle or not remains to be seen, but I'd definitely wear this again.

Mmm! Bliss!! I love sandalwood...

On me it's a lovely sandalwood incense rounding out with soft amber and the sweetness of peach blossom sparkling around the edges and vanilla to mellow it down so it's not too juicy. I don't smell the vanilla (unless I try to pick it out cause I know it's in there), but you can tell it's there to play it's role as the mellow downer. It's sweet without being overly sweet..it's more of a light incense that has been dipped in juice. I love it!!

Wet on me, peaches and amber.

Drying, ah, the vanilla...and I think I can detect something that might be the heliotrope. I don't know heliotrope all that well yet. Hello, Heliotrope, it is nice to finally meet you!

So far, a lovely scent. Everything seems to be blending together very well into a sweet golden whole.

I also have high hopes for this lasting a long while on me, with sandalwood, amber and vanilla in it.

Edited by Aerinha

Wet: Warm peach cobbler, and I don't know how that happened.

Dry: Much better, because while warm peach cobbler is lovely, I don't particularly fancy smelling like it. It becomes more of a vanilla-amber with a touch of peachiness. I'm loving these Shakespeare scents.

Side note: This is especially gorgeous when used after showering with The Body Shop's Runny Honey.

This smells like a bowl of peaches and cream on a warm summer day. This is a nice girlie scent, and I think would be something perfect to wear during the spring as the blossoms are starting to come out :P

In short this is a very happy scent for me

In the bottle: Amber and sandalwood, with a tiny hint of peach, but I'm not getting any vanilla.

Wet on skin: The amber and sandalwood make their presence known, mellowed by a hint of what must be heliotrope. No sign of peach blossom or vanilla, which surprises because my skin normally amps both of those notes.

Dry on skin: Mellow, luscious amber takes the lead, with sandalwood singing backup and heliotrope chiming in from time to time. Not even a hint of peach. Am I wearing the same scent everyone else has been talking about? Still, I love this one.

After wearing for a day: Lasted about six hours on me with a light throw. A fantastic everyday scent. Lovelovelove the amber and sandalwood combo with the heliotrope, so will wear Tamora for that. But I'll have to look for another peach scent!

In the imp: Peach and amber

Wet: Amber, sandalwood and a hint of peach.

Dry: The vanilla bean lets its presence be known while the amber, sandalwood and peach are still present and accounted for.

Overall: I'm so-so on this one. I like peach a lot and I like amber a lot, but I don't know about the sandalwood so much... I think I'd like this a whole lot more if it weren't for the sandalwood. Darn!

Peaches and cream! This is absolutely gorgeous. The sandalwood is very faint on me and stays at bay so that I get the full fruitness of the peaches.

I've got a few imps of this.

So, on me, vanilla tends to take over, and it did here. Many many people love the lab's many fabulous vanillas. I wish I could join you - darn this body chemistry.

Dry: Deep, rich, with a hint of peach. Later in the drydown, it's very very sweet, almost too syrupy; I think it's the vanilla that's taking over. Vanilla stomps out any amber & sandalwood that might be there.

Comparisons to other scents: Similar to Imp, but Tamora is more super-sugary on me. Similar in feel to Bastet, Lyonesse, Mouse's..., but deeper and richer.

Hmm, this is a very golden/peachy feeling scent in the decant. Sweet peach, vanilla, sandalwood, amber, they are all there. The main thing that worries me about this blend is that it may go to powder on me, as amber tends to do...

Yeah, the amber is a bit too strong and powdery in this blend. This is a nice sweet vanilla/amber blend with hints of sandalwood, but is unremarkable to my nose. I feel that as it dries more, it will just turn to sweet powder. Meh.

This is another blend where I can actually detect all of the notes. It opens with mostly the peach blossom and heliotrope. As it dries, the sandalwood, amber and vanilla bean all come out. The peach blossom fades to the background but it's still faintly there, offering a fruity overtone to the blend. It's got a fairly long throw on me, but it's so inoffensive that you almost don't notice it. It's a very comforting scent, pleasant. Normally I like my perfume a little more in-your-face and well, dirtier. But this might come in handy.

When I put this on and went "ooooh" I should have known at once that my beloved amber was one of the notes. On me, Tamora is warm and almost incense-ish. It is definitely a full fragrance but not heavy. I love it.

Tamora goes on soft, fruity, and milky/creamy. It's sweet, almost a little baby-powdery or plasticky in nature, just at first (though this stage doesn't last for longer than 15 minutes).

As it dries down, the peach--and it is definitely peach that I'm smelling here!--asserts itself more and more... becoming almost overwhelmingly a peach-pie scent. But then it starts to soften.

After an hour, I'm left with something that reminds me of a peach marshmallow! Something, anyway, that's very sweet; a frothy, light-colored candy scent, with a hint of fruit to it.

And an hour after that, the scent has turned into pure amber and vanilla (both scents that I amp--and like very well!). If I sniff hard at my wrist I can almost pick up the aftereffects of the peach, but not quite.

Very interesting! What a morpher! I thought for the first half-hour that I wouldn't like it, but its later stages are lovely.

In the vial: Amber and peach, followed by vanilla. I hope the heliotrope doesn't spoil this one for me!

Wet: Vanilla first, then amber-peach.

Half an hour: The vanilla is less overwhelming now; the peach is soft and the sandalwood has had an opportunity to combine with the amber. Yet there's an odd, almost pinching little note in the scent. This reads a shade too creamy on my skin, but it's not unpleasant.

One hour: The vanilla is true to the sweet brown sticky vanilla bean scent, so it works on me better than some of the vanilla notes, but it is still dominating this blend. Since I was aiming for amber and peach, the vanilla is a deal breaker. But this is very pleasant in its own way.

Two and a half hours: Gentle vanilla, and I don't notice anything else. By itself this vanilla note makes me think of babies, somehow.

Four hours: Still just the vanilla, and it reminds me of scented plastic doll heads.

Note to self: not everything with amber and peach works on me!

Ooo I LIKE this!

In the imp, it's sweet and fruity -- almost a bit tart -- grounded in something complex and woodsy to keep it from being too effervescent.

Once I put it on, there's something a bit powdery that starts to come out. Beautiful golden scent with just the right amount of fruitiness.

The drydown is very similar to Fae, except less fruity (which I like). It's kind of musky and woodsy, but still very bright and flirty. Not really me, but I really like it anyway :wub2:

3 words: Peaches and Herb! :lol:

Seriously though, that's what I'm getting...an herbal cologne with peaches...and I kind of like it, but one of the notes is making the peach smell sour...it's just not working with the rest of the blend on my skin.

Imp: PEACHES! And strawberry?

Wet: Creamy peaches and warmth. Heliotrope is making is soft a poofy. Mmmm...

Drydown: :) Warm vanilla and peaches. It's so soft and sweet, but not cloying at all

Overall: This is *really* pretty.

I don't get a whole lot of scent out of Tamora. I get some peach that's darkened with the amber and sweetened with the vanilla....on second thought I'd kind of like to eat this if it was a pie... Not much throw, but a rich, dark oil.

Agh! Wet is all strong peach potporri of gross. It does an about face and fades to a sophisticated vanilla-y girly perfume with some sandelwood. I am not the girly type, but it does smells nice.

This was a frimp. It smells like a floral baby powder with the faintest hint of peach. It's a soft scent. I prefer sweet foody scents so this wasn't a keeper for me.

On me, this was all "peach" and heliotrope. The peach smelled a bit more like apricot...but I do like apricot ;) In the imp this was much more complex, I wish it had been the same on my skin. After awhile it goes a bit powdery on me, but it's not entirely a bad thing.

This is very pretty, but it's way too light for me. I'd adore it if it were a little stronger with more throw. It also doesn't stick around long. This would be awesome as a body mist or hair mist...especially hair mist. I wish there was one available, because just as a perfume oil this is way too light for my tastes and I would have to slather and reapply...and I really can't afford that.

Wet: The roundness of the vanilla is most apparent. The amber and sandalwood slowly come forward. The peach offers a soft backdrop to the rest, not entirely apparent, but gradually coming to the front of the scent. Actually, this is pretty much all sandalwood/amber on me. The peach/heliotrope is just barely noticeable.

In the imp and during the first wet stages, the peach blossom is rather sharply fruity. I think that's the combination of the sandalwood and the peach blossom, as it's not a juicy sort of fruity, but rather dry instead. Very quickly, however, it softens and becomes a really lovely, ever-so-slightly fruity, amber-vanilla scent. I don't really get the heliotrope and the sandalwood has receded to the background to give it a little depth. I'm also very glad that while it's got two floral notes listed, it's not very floral on me, as I'm not really a floral type. It's soft and very pretty and while it's not for the days I feel seductive, feisty, or strong-willed, I think I have found a new love. :wub: And it's a GC scent, which is a bonus. I got this as an imp from the Lab and I think I need a bottle. And I can't wait to see how it ages. :yum:

In bottle: Sharp, unpleasant musk

On me, wet: Still gross. Almondy.

On me, drying: Getting a little nicer, losing the sharp edges. I don’t smell any peach, and I like peach. I smell the vanilla (with its unwelcome sour edge) and I smell wood.

On me, dry: Powdery vanilla.

Verdict: To the swaps with ye, foul slattern.