Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thesibylqueen

The Best Mint Blends

I agree with Brianne!!

Tulzcha (mint w/ cucumber, sounds weird but is DEVINE)

Spooky (creamy vanilla minty love, with a spike-o-rum)

Lick It 2005 (candy cane peppermint with a lick-o-vanilla...ummm)

I also love Snow Flakes (even better than Snow White imo) but, it is a creamier floral mint. So pretty :P

Lots of Pretties to choose from!

Tulzscha, for sure.

Lick It

And I really like the subtle mint of Green Tree Viper. Not a spicy in-your-face peppermint like Lick It, but very soothing.

is there a blend that smells predominantly of mint, but not menthol? the search function takes us to blends that mix mint with a zillion other oils, and what I want is something a bit like mint tea. Something fresh and at the same time comforting. And if possible, not a LE.

Gennivre. Wonderful, wonderful mint tea, with a little sugar cane. Mmmm!

(I hate menthol too, so if you find other scents that you like, please to tell me? Thanks!)

is there a blend that smells predominantly of mint, but not menthol? the search function takes us to blends that mix mint with a zillion other oils, and what I want is something a bit like mint tea. Something fresh and at the same time comforting. And if possible, not a LE.

Gennivre. Wonderful, wonderful mint tea, with a little sugar cane. Mmmm!

(I hate menthol too, so if you find other scents that you like, please to tell me? Thanks!)

Tokyo Stomp! Minty and slightly foody but not cold. Mad Hatter--smells minty but its actually pennyroyal in there. Very fresh and herbal but not cold to my nose

marlena

Incubus Incubus Incubus!

A serious mint, not too sweet, with an almost savoury caramel in the top notes. Minted wood is how it feels. If you've been bothered by menthol, too much sweetness or the snow/ozone thing in mint oils than you should try Incubus because it is mint with none of these things!

:P INCUBUS :D

I forgot I had asked about this. In the meantime, I bought Tokyo Stomp for The Boy (lover of a generic vanilla SN). It does smell like what I as thinking for, so once he gets it I'll ask him for a little imp :P It really is warm like Moroccan sweet mint tea.

Edited by Nia

I'm wearing Juke Joint today. The mint in it dries down to a dried mint leaf scent and then there's the sweetish bourbon background. It's nice, not sure if I'll get a bottle but if I had one I would certainly wear it. I like the dried mint leaf note as it is so different than, say, peppermint oil.

I am on a MINT QUEST as a result of my torrid affair with Incubus. I loath menthol though..

Cucumber is one of my least favorite notes--does this mean I might not like Tulzcha? I'd like to try all the BPAL mints. So far I have Tokyo Stomp which I am not wild about though I am wild about the label art and name and will never get rid of it. Incubus of course and will order Lick It Again.

I havent tried it yet but what about The Mock Turtle's Lessons?The description sounds like it should be minty and refreshing on a hot day.

Edited by DancingUpAMoonbeam

If you love mint, you got really lucky with the Yule update :P A new incarnation of Lick It and the return of Nuclear Winter, which I am awfully fond of. Lick It and its offspring are candy-sweet peppermint, but Nuclear Winter is icy evergreens with mint, truly a cold scent. I am not even a huge fan of mint scents - I really have to be in the mood, and quite a few blends have made me think, "I would really wear this if it weren't for that hit of mint in it" - but Nuclear Winter is one of the few exceptions. (Now to watch and wait to see if Tulzcha ever returns - that's my other mint love.)

I'm bumping this because the other day I opened a canister of Tetley's Vitality herbal tea (100% peppermint) and the scent that hit me was gorgeous! I just kept huffing it, it was sooo good. I always associated mint with the smell of toothpaste and mouthwash, but this was the most glorious sweet, green, natural smell. I'd love to find something like it! I have Gennivre, and she's one of my absolute favorites but I don't get much mint there...

Man, I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but have you tried Tristran? :) It has both patchouli and crushed mint, and they smell fantastically earthy-fresh together.

(Apparently, "Tristran" is the answer to every question in the world today. :lol:)

Nuclear Winter is a relatively easy LE to find. It's mint and a frozen field--sort of a dry grass/dirt quality.

Three scents came to mind when I read the title of the thread, but they're all limited edition. Nothing extremely rare, though.

November....."Autumn leaves damp beneath the first snowfall". Although not listed in the notes, I do get a distinct crisp minty note when I wear this, as well as some earthiness mixed with the leaves.

Usher....."This is Roderick Usher: a faded genteel light musk and fougere, heightened by hectic white mint, gleaming mandarin, ethereal tea leaf and gritty blackcurrant brushed by the scent of the tarn that surrounds the House, and the gloom and decay of the walls that hold him". This is actually less earthy to me than November, but more minty.

Green Tree Viper...."Snake Oil with four mints, bergamot, and green tea". I think it's generally accepted that Snake Oil has patchouli.

Also, I second Cathode...."A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints". That's a good one, and not a limited edition. The moss does bring to mind an earthy quality.

Man, I'm going to sound like a broken record here, but have you tried Tristran? :) It has both patchouli and crushed mint, and they smell fantastically earthy-fresh together.

(Apparently, "Tristran" is the answer to every question in the world today. :lol:)

It smells like neither on me! It's more like a sophisticated male Dove Soap :)

My suggestion would be Green Tree Viper...

Hi there,

I'm hoping to find a BPAL with a dominant crushed garden mint leaf scent. It's one of my favourite smells in the garden. :smile:

When I search for mint scents, I'm not sure if I'm coming across the cool peppermints/spearmints that I'm not too fond of, as I'm not wanting an icy scent ... just the herby fresh mint sauce smell!

I've heard Envy might be a good one to try? Any ideas guys and I'd be grateful. x

When I saw your topic title Envy was exactly what I was about to suggest! For me it only holds that sort of scent for about an hour then dries down to a more generic herbal soap smell, but a teensy reapplication brings the mintyness back. As it's GC it's well worth a shot :)

Envy is worth trying, though the mint didn't last for me. If you like amber, Cathode might be worth a try, it's not a "cool" mint. (Neither of these get precisely to the out-in-the-garden feel.)

Edited to add: And if you like violets (given your name) you should definitely at least try Ultraviolet. The eucalyptus is strong at first, and then it becomes a lighter-than-air floral.

Edited by sqwook

Thanks Sqwook and Silvertarna for those! I'm going to place my imp order in a mo so I'll definitely add Envy to the basket and I might try Cathode too, as I do love ambers.

I've been looking at the reviews and The Coil sounds like the garden mint that I'm looking for too, so I might also get an imp of that.

The eucalyptus in ultraviolet puts me off a little, I've got that note in Jabberwocky and it's a bit over-dominant.

May I suggest you try a imp of Hemlock ? I've got both Hemlock & Wolfsbane & enjoy them both , but Hemlock definitely has a bit of mint going on in it .

Thanks CoopieCat :) I've not come across Hemlock before, but I've just checked the reviews and it does sound like a lovely one. I placed my order last night but I'll definitely get Hemlock with my next imp order.

I am wild about mint smells myself, as they lend a certain freshness to a blend that is impossible to acheive any other way.

I will be shortly ordering a bottle of Green Tree Viper (Carnaval Diabolique), as it sounds perfect- the mint scent I am searching for needs to have a mint fresh main theme, softened by some sort of citrussy note (bergamot sounds great) and deepened, made somehow sensual underneath it all- so Snake Oil base could be fantastic. COULD IT BE THE ONE? My MINT HOLY GRAIL? I don't want to get my hopes up too high, so I will have to just wait and see.

So far, for the mint blends, I have tried:

GENERAL CATALOGUE:

Ultraviolet: more eucalyptus than mint I would say. Perhaps a little too sharp for what I am looking for. NOT IT.

Juke Joint: sweet slightly minted bourbon (or is it bay rum? I can't remember) Nice, but NOT IT.

Vicomte de Valmont: is there supposed to be mint in here? All I smell is mens cologne. NOT IT.

Violet Ray: more violet than mint, nice, but sadly, discontinued, so no point talking about it.

Shattered: no idea why people keep going on about it. More grapefruit than mint of any sort. Granted, it's a fresh, cool/cold blend, buy NOT IT.

CARVAVAL DIABOLIQUE:

Gennivre L'Artiste du Diable: Very sweet and honey like. The mint is an undertone, not the main theme. Very nice for what it is, but NOT IT.

LIMITED EDITIONS:

Yule 2010 Wintertime: More vanilla, less mint. Quite foody, not very minty. Has a freshness, but NOT IT (and again, I am talking in terms of mint, not rating these scents)

Yule 2010: Waltz of the Snowflakes: another supposed minty blend. Lovely, beautiful, gorgeous in it's own right, buy the mint is not a central theme here. NOT IT.

I have yet to try Lick it Vigorously, as alas, it was left out of my order. However, I have the feeling that candy cane mint is not what I'm looking for either.

I like the sound of Undertow, but I fear with the juniper it might be a bit herby/spicy mint, not really the perfumey mint I am seeking.

Pain contains lavender and pennyroyal. I have not tried it, but I know what both ingredients smell like, and I can't imagine it smelling anything more than medicinal (besides, that's all part of the allegorical irony of it- medicinal pain?)

Now, let me just go on a bit of a tangent here:

Some blends contain a touch of mint in the background, where it is not the central theme, but it does impart a lovely airy fresh quality to the whole, and the one that represents that perfectly in my humble opinion, is the no less than stunning blend BESS. But she is so beautiful, I should probaby review her separately.

I will certainly let you know if Green Tree Viper is IT. I can only hope.

Edited by Soniadevi

Two of my favourite oils are Pain and Brusque Violet. I'm looking for something that majors on mint. I might also like something less, ahem, turbo-charged than those two though - eg I've just received an imp of How Doth The Little Crocodile and I like it very much.

[Just in case it helps to know about other notes: I love sea-side aquatics, and caramelly-vanilla, and leather. I don't like jasmine or Frankincense.]

Edited by Quillifer