Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thesibylqueen

The Best Mint Blends

A lot of the Yule blends are minty. If you can find any of the Lick It series for sale on the forum, those are all peppermint heavy scents.

There are these you might want to check out:

Bewitching Brews:

*Cathode - "A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints."

*Juke Joint - "A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint."

*Ultraviolet - "Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint."

*Undertow - "The Dark Side of Water: clean and purifying, yet menacing -- lotus and juniper with a hint of mint."

Sin & Salvation:

*Envy - "Green herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender."

*Sea of Glass - "A scent of inimitable purity, crystalline grace, and limitless light." A lovely aquatic.

The Salon:

*Cloister Graveyard in the Snow - "Three white musks, ozone, frankincense, mint." This is all lovely, cold mint and chilly snow to my nose. I can't smell the frankincense at all in this one.

Boom Studios:

*Volt - "Leather with a shock of eucalyptus, green mint, elemi, ravintsara and lime."

Gris Grimly:

*A Fit of Artistic Enthusiasm - "Electric jolts of mania: a salt-crusted coffin bobbing through tumultuous ocean waves." Not exactly minty, but I find this to be a chilly, ocean-y aquatic.

Last Unicorn:

*Lady Amalthea - "A luminous white winter musk with lilac, wisteria, white chocolate, white mint, and tuberose." Lots of minty, vanilla-y white chocolate in this one.

Two of my favourite oils are Pain and Brusque Violet. I'm looking for something that majors on mint. I might also like something less, ahem, turbo-charged than those two though - eg I've just received an imp of How Doth The Little Crocodile and I like it very much.

[Just in case it helps to know about other notes: I love sea-side aquatics, and caramelly-vanilla, and leather. I don't like jasmine or Frankincense.]

Hi,

Mad Hatter -smells like Andes mints to me.

Winter-Time- smells light and almost Kentucky mintish to me.

They are both very subtle, very pretty scents.

Feline B)

I'd suggest you keep an eye out for the various iterations of Lick It, although it's LE you might see a decant somewhere :D

My favorite mint blend is Juke Joint. It's the one mint-blend I smelled so far that isn't too much in your face MINT.

On to the notes: Juke Joint - A bawdy, gleefully wicked and unruly scent: Kentucky Bourbon, sugar and a sprig of mint.

For people who are scared of mint but want to get their toes wet with the Lab's mint notes... where do you even start? I'm deathly afraid of becoming overwhelmed (bad things happen to me when I smell mint) and don't want to scare myself off because I'm afraid of one or two notes in a blend.

Schrodinger's Cat and How Doth The Little Crocodile both have chocolate peppermint mixed with several other ingredients (SC is citrusy and HDTLC is chocolatey-woody), and aren't overwhelmingly mentholic.

I will put in my vote here for Cloister Graveyard, it's a gentle mint. Mad Hatter is an awesome green mint.

Lick it is quite nice for layering.

Gennivre has a gentle mintiness. When the Winter Chrysanthemums Go has a stronger mint, but it's softened by the mums, and it's been out long enough to be aged to a nice mellowness. Green Tree Viper is minty, but the mint is kind of balanced by the bergamot and the warmth of the Snake Oil base. Of the Lick Its that I've tried, my favorite is Like You Mean It, because the vanilla is in the forefront, and it's just sweet and clean and comforting.

I second Circaea's rec for Lick It Like You Mean It, if you want to have a nice balance of sweet and mint. I just received a bottle from a swap, and it is absolutely gorgeous. Supposedly, some of the Lick Its have been in-your-face mint, but this one is lovely. :wub2: And this is coming from another Crocodile fan!!

Two of my favorites are Tokyo Stomp: A sweet and crisp vanilla mint!

and

Snowblind: The perfect vanilla mint.

I second both of these, and will also add, for a non-foody muskier mint:

Colder & Colder from the little Match Girl Yules - may be harder to track down, but I am sure you can at least score a decant.

Peppermint, spearmint, white musk, and elemi settling into a deepening darkness.

I'd recommend Victomte de Valmont and Belladonna. They're both great mint scents, especially Vicomte. It's the ultimate mint to me.

Edited to correct AutoCorrect.:P

Edited by the.train.fiend

I just wanted to add Shattered to the list of suggestions for you. It's a minty aquatic :)

Two of my favourite oils are Pain and Brusque Violet. I'm looking for something that majors on mint. I might also like something less, ahem, turbo-charged than those two though - eg I've just received an imp of How Doth The Little Crocodile and I like it very much.

[Just in case it helps to know about other notes: I love sea-side aquatics, and caramelly-vanilla, and leather. I don't like jasmine or Frankincense.]

I'm looking for a warm sort of mint, not peppermint, and not mint with cold or crystalline notes. The only one I can think of is The Mock Turtle's Lessons, but it wasn't good on my skin. I really like CBIHP's fresh mint tea accord (although it lasts about 5 minutes on me), so I was looking for something with a similar mint note from BPAL. I'm thinking more like a fresh mint leaf, so more herbal than aquatic I guess. I do like Gennivre, but was hoping for another that's a little more minty.

I've tried a good amount of the catalog (GC and LE) from 2009 and earlier, but I haven't really tried much of anything since then, so hopefully there will be a wonderful mint that's been out in the years since I've been gone. I remember Snowblind being a nice mint, but unfortunately the vanilla note went plastic on my skin, otherwise it would probably be my perfect scent.

I'd appreciate any ideas!

Edited by Arylkin

Stentor from the current LEs might be worth a try? I'm no help on skin-reviews since sadly mint and I don't work out so well together, but it's a very bright, herby mint in the decant I got.

Have you tried anything with pennyroyal in it? You may like Mad Hatter (the only reason I didn't was because it had a creamy finish that reminded me of vanilla...and I hate vanilla). It smelled kind of like a butter mint to me. Stentor is nice too. It has what I can only describe as an herbal brightness that makes me happy. I will be following this thread because, I too, am a huge fan of mint. ;)

For an exceedingly cool mint, you could try Breathless Horror; it's quite herbal, but I'm having difficulties finding warm AND herbal mints. I WILL KEEP LOOKING! (Breathless horror: icy white musk and thick olibanum with niaouli, carrot seed, white mint, and camphor.)

Humpback Whale is an aquatically herbal mint, very lovely. Rather unisex. (Blue peppermint, sea buckthorn berry, white myrrh, ambergris accord, and tobacco leaf.)

Lips Full of Lust and Laughter also has mint in it, though on my skin it's basically fruity shampoo, so ymmv. (Red musk, wildflower honey, elemi, tangerine, and mint.)

Manhattan could be a go, too. That one has the notes you seem to be after, though I haven't tested it. (Sexuality, power, confidence. A meeting of modern, sleek elegance and rich, passionate history: sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.)

Ditto for Tristan from the Stardust series, though it has tonka and you might not like that. (Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint.)

Maybe try any of the "Lick It" blends from past Yule LE's? They start out WAY minty, but fade real fast to a soft, warm mint on me. Also, Snow White had a soft mint on me as well... LOVE Snow White! Good luck!! :)

i agree with fuhrankie on humpback whale and a sudden invitation. both are lovely and warmed by various things (ambergris in HW and sandalwood in ASI).

i would also recommend green tree viper. it's a snake-oil-y mint, which is absolutely delicious.

as far as pure mint scents, i can't speak to any of the lick it scents from experience, but i know they're wildly popular...you might give one a shot! :)

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I added a few to my wishlist. I really appreciate it! :)