Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salice

Tobacco scents

earth phoenix smells just like rich cavendish tobacco. in fact the first time i smelled it i went over to do a side-by-side sniff with a container of my husband's tobacco. it's a dead-ringer and has a cherry note.

Velvet Dogs Playing Poker is my fave for pipe tobacco. You should look at the reviews in the limited section and see if you like how it sounds, you can always put out an ISO for it :)

also Herr Drosselmeyer...I've never smelled it but it sounds great!

Velvet Dogs Playing Poker is my fave for pipe tobacco. You should look at the reviews in the limited section and see if you like how it sounds, you can always put out an ISO for it :)

also Herr Drosselmeyer...I've never smelled it but it sounds great!

Herr Drosselmeyer smelled like bad BO on me. :ack: I can usually wear any scent but that one was bad. ymmv though.

Have you tried ...

A Bold Bluff, C.M. Coolidge.

Cherry tobacco, tonka, and hops. from the April Fools Salon 07

a bold bluff would be a good choice as well. good call beachbabealways.

Ha! I came in here to rec Hellfire, but I see you've already got that down.

Actual comment from bystander after accidental overapplication of Hellfire: "Has... has someone been smoking really expensive cigars in the breakroom?"

Herr Dross, Hearth '04, A bold Bluff and Dogs Playing Poker are the ones that I grab when I want to smell like sweet pipe tobacco. None of the other ones that are often suggested do it for me. Sometimes they smell like tobacco leaf or some other kind of tobacco, but not sweet pipe tobacco to me. Unfortunately, these are all LE's.

Hey!

So I haven't tried these myself but I saw your topic and went through the BPAL products and found these tobacco and vanilla scents that you might be interested in. I couldn't find any cherry tobacco though (but I didn't look in limited edition or trading post)

The Salon - Love and Pain - Lavender, Balkan tobacco, black musk, dark vanilla, and golden copaifera. / Reviews say that it's mainly a blend between lavender, tobacco and vanilla. So if you like lavender, this should be very nice for you =)

Carnival Diabolique - Ashlultum - Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac. - / Not sure this one is for you, but it might be so I'll add it anyway. It's seemingly mainly a musky floral where the tobacco and vanilla are more undertones that appear after maybe half an hour, according to the reviews. So if you want a floral that still has the tobacco in the background, you could try this one.

Carnival Diabolique - The Illustrated Woman - Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco. / The reviewers really seem to love this scent. Though again, the tobacco is more a hidden undertone that adds depth than a prominant note. The musk, vanilla and pine seem to be the stronger notes in this. Eventhough it doesn't smell mainly like tobacco, it has gotten great reviews so figured I'd add that too.

Actual -pipe- tobacco, I could only find the one you already know about, hellfire.

Sorry that I couldn't find more, I hope at least one of them might be of your liking =)

Does anyone know what Black and Milds smell like? Searching through Google, the only descriptors I got were "pipe tobacco," "sweet," and "good." I do love the way they smell, but I have no idea what notes to search for in perfumes that would imitate that scent--other than, of course, pipe tobacco.

Does anyone have any suggestions for additional notes and/or GC BPALs to try?

Tobacco is my new scent love. It took a little longer to find it, but now that I'm looking, a number of the scents I adore have this divine note in them.

Looking at other recs, I think the Salon may be my next stop.

so, french tobacco is my new favorite scent! holy gawd!! I need tons to make me happy:))) But while dreaming and searching for french tobacco to try to get, I ran across variety of pleasing amuesments, which has now become my most sought after scent (which is not being found easily:/)

Anyway, it started me thinking of what other bpal scents out there have that french tobacco scent? and are hopefully easier to find the V.o.P.A.

Edited by Ella LaRose

I know the feeling! I love French Tobacco too and need more! Have you tried The Illustrated Woman? It has that beautiful Tobacco note in it also. I'm looking forward to see what other suggestions you get! :heart:

Antikythera Mechanism, most obviously when aged.

Second this rec, big time! I am lucky enough to own French Tobacco (swoon!) Now that I know what the isolated note smells like, whenever I wear AM, I think Wow! Tobacco! It is soooo good! :wub2:

Also, White Peacock, if you can get it.

Curiously, Hothrun Dath, even though it doesn't have tobacco listed. The first time I sniffed French Tobacco SN, I could have sworn I was sniffing Hothrun Dath, which I'm familiar with since I wear it often. The resemblance was really marked and even the dry-down was like...two slightly varying shades of the same fragrance on my skin, if that makes sense.

The first 15 minutes or so of French Tobacco, totally reminds me of Red Lantern. That syrupy sweet smokiness. However, RL doesnt dry down to that clove-y spice that FT does.

Initial impressions though are very similar.

Maybe try mixing Red Lantern with The Smiling Spider?

Curiously, Hothrun Dath, even though it doesn't have tobacco listed. The first time I sniffed French Tobacco SN, I could have sworn I was sniffing Hothrun Dath, which I'm familiar with since I wear it often. The resemblance was really marked and even the dry-down was like...two slightly varying shades of the same fragrance on my skin, if that makes sense.

This!!!! I thought it was so weird when I looked up the notes and tobacco wasn't listed, because these are really really close on me. I prefer Hothrun Dath though.

I also second AM. White Peacock was very teak for me, to the point that I rehomed mine because Expressive Head is my fav teak scent and I don't need two.

Antikythera Mechanism, most obviously when aged.

Got me a bottle and so glad I did! This is stunning! I get very little tobacco, more leather wood a d vanilla but it is an awesome scent!

Still hoping for a tobacco like in variety of pleasing amusements:))

Alright, I have been combing through this thread for GC tobacco recommendations (very useful!), as well as looking at the 20 or so blends that come up on the main BPAL website. Bearing in mind my favorite BPAL of all times is Antikythera Mechanism and that I also have and like Black Rider and Dracul, which of these would you recommend if only one "allowed" to be purchased. (Sadly, Havana and Kali are "out of stock". Not sure if that means forever.)

1. Perversion

2. Interfector

3. Ogun

4. Elegbra

5. Sarah, the Mother Bear

6. Sherlock Holmes

Thank you for your input!

@Minh Scent, I haven't tried 5 or 6 on your list, but based on your preferences and working from what you have here, I would recommend Interfector. Personally, I got more of a fresh wood vibe from Perversion, Ogun reminds me more of sweetgrass, and Elegba leans heavily toward the coconut and rum side. Interfector has more of the dark wood and sweet tobacco vibe that fits in along the lines of Antikythera Mechanism and Dracul.

Alright, I have been combing through this thread for GC tobacco recommendations (very useful!), as well as looking at the 20 or so blends that come up on the main BPAL website. Bearing in mind my favorite BPAL of all times is Antikythera Mechanism and that I also have and like Black Rider and Dracul, which of these would you recommend if only one "allowed" to be purchased. (Sadly, Havana and Kali are "out of stock". Not sure if that means forever.)

1. Perversion

2. Interfector

3. Ogun

4. Elegbra

5. Sarah, the Mother Bear

6. Sherlock Holmes

Thank you for your input!

Sherlock as a scent is very high pitched and bright. Nothing like the scents you mention liking. It's the scent equivalent of the high notes of a violin.

Elegba is mostly coconutty rum, but I do like it. Perversion is another great scent but very different from those you mention liking. I wouldn't think to reach for either of those if I were craving tobacco.

Interfector I've never tried. Ogun was mostly bright candy melon to me. And Sarah I tried but then sold my lot of pretty deadly imps as only Lily really called to me at the time (a time of ruthless culling) and I sadly don't remember much about them.