Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Salice

Tobacco scents

RED LANTERN!! I tried some on my man when we were getting ready to go out, and we ended up never leaving home!

Red Lantern (though I'm a little perplexed at a previous poster who put it on her SO, since it's a VERY feminine scent). It's got a very strong caramel component, but it's also smoky, sexy blonde tobacco. Oh yes. It's verrrryyy good.

Black Lace has a smell of cigarettes (not unburned tobacco) in it to me.

I have several LEs with tobacco note in them that I just adore. I think tobacco is one of my most cooperative scents, actually.

Red Lantern is nothing but tobacco and opium on my skin, with a hint of dessicated coconut and vetivert. It is only when I put it in my hair that the caramel sweet curranty goodness comes out. I like it both ways.

Midnight Kiss has also aged pretty well for me; the grape-y note has faded somewhat, and the tobacco and cocoa are more prominent.

Plunder is too spicy on me, Gaueko is nothing but lavender on me until that fades and I'm left with labdanum,.

I'm quite new to BPAL with an untrained nose, but to my novice sniffer, Kubla Khan mellows quickly into the most delicious, smooth, smokey vanilla tobacco. It lasts for a good long while, too!

BUMP.

I'd like your tobacco recommendations, please! Nothing with coconut or leather though, and I'm also trying to avoid roses since these then do be notes of DOOM on me.

I'm hoping for something a little sweeter, but definitely smoky.

Help?

BUMP.

I'd like your tobacco recommendations, please! Nothing with coconut or leather though, and I'm also trying to avoid roses since these then do be notes of DOOM on me.

Help?

Love and Pain - Lavender, Balkan tobacco, black musk, dark vanilla, and golden copaifera

This is my favorite ever. The vanilla is sweet, but not foody. When this is fresh, it takes an hour to dry down from this really aggressive lavender blast, but once it does, it's gorgeous. The first four notes have equal billing for me (after that long dry down...or after aging for a few months). The copaifera backlights the whole thing in a warm golden glow.

Mr. Nancy - Sugar cookies with bay rum, tobacco, and lime. Manly sugar cookies. On me, this one is mostly lime sugar cookies, though the other notes are pretty easy to make out.

Carceri D'Invenzione - Redwood, red sandalwood, black pepper, blonde tobacco and frankincense. Silky smooth woods and blonde tobacco. Very sweet, soft, and gentle for a woods and tobacco blend.

BUMP.

Help?

The Illustrated Woman has a delicious tobacco note--

Skin musk, smoky vanilla, pine pitch, patchouli, Indian resins, golden honey, and tobacco. On me the pine is a leetle strong at first, but then it slips into the background and lets the vanilla, resins, and tobacco take over. It's also a fascinating scent; I can't stop sniffing myself when I wear it.

Edited by Milla

Tobacco can so often be a note of doom on me! But, FWIW:

I'll second The Illustrated Woman. It definitely has a bit of sweetness to it, but I know the pine can be problematic for some people. This is one of the few blends where I can smell the tobacco but it doesn't dominate the entire scent for me.

I quite like The Antikythera Mechanism (although I prefer it on my boyfriend to on me). The vanilla adds a bit of sweet, and it's a very warm woody tobacco.

I personally get a lot of tobacco out of The Great Sword of War, but I think this can vary a lot with skin chemistry because other people I've tested it on get more musk and mandarin. But still, the tobacco is definitely present.

Gaueko also has some nice tobacco, and it definitely has a little sweet to it although you might not guess from the note list. Definitely more smoky than the others.

I'm such a tobacco lover. Bad Luck Woman Blues is so delightful - almost a single note tobacco on me at first. No 93 Engine starts out lemony but fades to a fantastic tobacconist scent. Perversion is a nice smokey scent, but it has a bit of leather. Issac, the living skeleton, Horreur Sympathique, Ogun, Famine, Santo Domingo...there are so many!

I would anti-suggest Perversion for you, in that case, even though that is my go-to tobacco scent. I've noticed substantial batch variations with that one, and although I never get leather (other folks do, though), there is sometimes a very prominent coconut note.

It sounds like The Antikythera Mechanism might be what you're looking for:

The Antikythera Mechanism
(Steamworks) - Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

Ogun is an interesting honeyed/melon/tobacco scent:

Ogun
(Excolo) - Ogun’s ofrenda is heavy and dark cigar tobacco, gin and juniper, melon, chili pepper and a touch of honey.

I'd also recomend these, although the tobacco notes in them were not as prominent, more background players:

Les Anges Déchus
(The Salon) - Khus, blonde tobacco, life everlasting, orris root, black currant, cabreuva, Spanish moss, leather, and ambrette.

I didn't detect leather, but that's a note my skin tends to swallow.

Plunder
(Bewitching Brews) - The scent of a pirate's bumboat, overflowing with stolen wares: tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg.

This one was all cinnamon on me, but I tend to amp that note. I could detect a little tobacco underneath the cinnamon-y blast, though, and you might get more out of it.

Three Gorgons
(The Salon) - Egyptian amber, mandarin, tangerine, black pepper, tobacco, and vetiver.

Tiresias, the Androgyne
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Dark, moody, and bittersweet: black currant, patchouli, tobacco, cinnamon leaf, caramel, muguet, and red sandalwood.

Warning: This one is super-sweet.

The Buggre Alle This Bible and Hastur both have strong tobacco notes, but I found them unpleasant, and neither was sweet. Still, you might like them, or for layering:

The Buggre Alle This Bible
(Good Omens) - Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

A very dry tobacco.

Hastur
(Good Omens) - Smoky-sour labdanum, black patchouli, wet tobacco, and brimstone.

This one did indeed smell like a wet cigar. Blech.

I am eagerly awaiting bottles of Velvet Bandito and Velvet Dogs Playing Poker; they sound promising. I'll report back once I've got them in my greedy paws and had a chance to test them:

Velvet Bandito
(LE Salon) - Dust, tumbleweeds, cedar, and tobacco.

(This one is getting rave reviews and being compared to clove cigarettes.
:yum:
)

Velvet Dogs Playing Poker
(LE Salon) - Smooth wood, sweet pipe smoke, tonka, and Irish coffee.

BUMP.

Help?

I really like Parliament of Monsters (Dust, incense, wet tobacco, and a curl of opium smoke) for a lighter, sweet (from the opium) tobacco scent. It's not the greatest fresh (to my nose it smelled very lemony) but after aging up a bit it's very distinct.

Some other tobaccos:

Gaueko Blackened sandalwood and misty lavender, with curling wisps of smoky tobacco, nag champa, and labdanum.

Very smoky and incense-y.

Galvanic Goggles Metallic notes with Indian musk, tobacco flower, and African balsam.

A bit astringent and cologne-y. Not quite a pure tobacco scent but I get a definite hazy sort of tobacco quality from it.

Santo Domingo An exotic, sultry blend of tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms.

Hot dman. I haven't tried this but reading the reviews makes me want to try it.

Dia De Los Muertos dry, crackling leaves, the incense smoke of altars honoring Death and the Dead, funeral bouquets, the candies, chocolates, foods and tobacco of the ofrenda, amaranth, sweet cactus blossom and desert cereus.

A bit sweet and foody--I have 04 and 07 and 04 is definitely more tobacco-y but I can't vouch for whether that's aging or formula.

Herr Drosselmeyer Pipe smoke, sweet leather, woods and linen.

Yeah. I know. Good luck.

I really like Gaueko. I'm in love with Velvet Bandito. I'm a big tobacco fan but somehow I can't think of the others that I like! :ack:

Thanks for the recs ladies. I'm going to have to revisit some of these, starting with the Illustrated Woman. Pine and honey can be both problematic notes, but looking back at my reviews it seems like the most likely candidate.

I also have the problem that sometimes, tobacco ends up smelling like stale smoke.

I might also give Antikythera Mechanism another whirl. That one went to WOOD on me, but here's to hoping the second time around might be different!

Thanks, z_z for posting-- I had also been dying to know more recs but was too chicken to post. But since you posted, you got lotsa other folks to reply, too! :D (But thanks to Inventrix who had also piped up w/ a recommendation in that " Do you ever get strangely obsessed with a certain note..." thread.)

Velvet Dogs didn't hang onto the tobacco on my skin (it just sort of wafted away). And Tiresias sometimes allows me to catch whiffs of the tobacco I'd love; but it's just not enough tobacco for me. Les Anges Déchus went all sorts of wrong on me. *retch*

The Antikythera Mechanism is actually on my list of things I really wanna try, but now, I'm worried it'll be too "woody" for my taste. :unsure: I'm just really excited because I know I have some imps of some of the GCs mentioned in the last couple of posts so I know what I'll be testing in the next couple of days. :P

Thanks so much for the recs!

Edited by devilot

Thanks, z_z for posting-- I had also been dying to know more recs but was too chicken to post. But since you posted, you got lotsa other folks to reply, too! :D (But thanks to Inventrix who had also piped up w/ a recommendation in that " Do you ever get strangely obsessed with a certain note..." thread.)

Thanks so much for the recs!

No problem! I kinda enjoyed Hellhound too, but that's always difficult to get a hold of, and I remember that the rum amped up, so I smelled more like a cigar that got put out in a rum bottle.

Ever since watching The Parent Trap again, I've been wondering what a "peppermint and pipe tobacco" scent would smell like hahahaha. Any suggestions?

GC scents perferably :) and I'd be up for any tobacco and mint combination really. If anyone has any layering ideas, those are welcome too!

i am looking for a smoke scent that is similar to Liz. i love Lulu and i want to layer it with something that has a smoke/tobacco note to make it alittle more sexy. :twisted:

I'm curious, when I first tried Elegba and Black Lace, the tobacco notes were pleasant, but got smokier like cigarettes on the dry down.

Ever smell a pack of cigarettes in the package? Especially Marlboros? I love that smell, unfortunately once they're lit, I really don't enjoy them.

Does anyone know of a scent more like fresh tobacco than lit cigs?

I'm looking for recommendations for a pipe tobacco scent.

Not particularly fond of leather, so something sans a leather note.

Hellfire seems to be the #1 recommendation for pipe tobacco, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking for something with maybe a vanilla or cherry note.

But I'm definitely going to try Hellfire!

This might sound weird but everytime I wear Blood Kiss, my sweetheart comments that I smell like sweet cherry vanilla tobacco. Worth a shot! :)