Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Smell sanctified! A blend of pure, pious frankincense and graceful myrrh.

Frankincense and myrrh, just that.

Sharp, simple and true. No changes on my skin.

Darker than Cathedral. :P

Yup - frankinscense and myrrh. Sweet and smoky incense smell.

Upon wearing, this reads about 1/2 way b/w Cathedral and Djinn on me - a bit more interesting than cathedral and a bit less smoky and burnt than Djinn.

I love incense-y scents, but this is a bit too much even for me to wear on it's own. It might be good layered with other scents and would definitely be amazing as a candle or room scent!

(ETA: I actually have been wearing this quite a bit and loving it - it's a woman's perogative to change her mind! Not to mention that this is one million times better than any other etailer or candle-maker's "frankincense and myrrh" scent that I've tried over the years - they always end up seeming perfumey or smelling like something absolutely unlike frankincense or myrhh. This is the real deal.)

Edited by wolfie13

Love the incense smell and feel to this one but unfortunately, didn't work too well on my skin :D I think for me, this would work best in an oil burner. On me, it makes me sneeze.

First thing I got upon opening the bottle was a bit of sweetness w/a very light "sting", like burning sage almost. Very soothing. Scent seems to dissipate quickly(from the top of the open bottle).

Definitely more of a masculine blend imo, for whatever its worth :P

I like this enough that I think it deserves a good home, rather than using it in an oil burner. I'll burn incense instead, lol.

In the vial: Penitence is sweet myrrh so enticing that I could sniff it all day and never tire.

On my wrist: The sweet myrrh deepens and is joined by smokey frankincense. There is something jarring and suffocating about the combination of heavy myrrh and the smoke.

I love this in the bottle but not on my skin.

Penance? I didn't know I'd done anything wrong...every time I hear the word Penance I remember my Catholic upbringing and it makes me a little wary! But as for BPAL's Penance, that's my kind! I got this (ordered it) in a batch of imps that I am making my way through.

Wet- Am I in a church? I get a deep, wet Myrrh note that is sharp and demands attention.

Middle of dry- the Incense-y notes are becoming more predominant. Nice!

Dry and a few hours afterwards- I thought this had faded really fast, but I still get a dry scent of the frankincense and myrrh coming through. It is faint, but mixes wonderfully with my skin.

I am a little worried that I haven't found a BPAL oil that really lasts on me though. I moisturize before using my oils, but maybe my dry skin earts it up. All in all, Penance is lovely.

penitence.jpg

Frankincense and myrrh, but unburnt. Very simple scent, but that was my problem with it, not so very interesting either. I have smelled this combination before and I much prefer smelling the burning resins. So, I will be swapping the imp. Not a pity and I am glad I tried it.

I can see why frankincense and myrrh were some of the most valuable resins in the ancient world -- they're simply beautiful.

One of my favorite notes is frankincense -- softly astringent and almost citrussy, it hits my skin and sings a beautiful song. Myrrh is deep and dusty, kind of woody, and it usually goes powdery on my skin. The combination of the two is just warm, deep, and resinous.

Penitence is similar to Tzadikim Nistarim, but less sweet.

Edited by pekeana

Does what it says on the tin!

Oddly enough, I didn't get much of a scent at all when I first applied it out of the imp. After about ten minutes it began to waft up from my wrist. It's a dry sweetness, with an odd dry creaminess to it as well - I can't quite put my finger on how to describe it other than that.

Overall it's a lovely resiny fragrance, but I think for myself I'd prefer these two ingredients mixed with other things. I suspect it would make a fabulous oil for those of the male persuasion, however...

Oro

I love the resin-based spicy scents -- they are so dark and rich and steady. Very little change between the bottle, first application, and drydown. The warmth is already there, and the warmth of my skin only seems to intensify this blend's throw, which is considerable! It wafts up like incense is smoldering on my wrists. A very calming, comfortingly spiritual scent, soothing to the heart and mind. I can see this being used ritually or at bedtime for peaceful sleep.

I was looking forward to this scent not only because frankincense has really grown on me, but because I wanted to figure out exactly how myrrh smells, and now I think that I know.

On top, there's the slightly sharp, cedary spice of frankincense, and below that is a warm, soft, sweet, dark smell that must be the myrrh. This combination is simple and beautiful, and feels calm and content.

I think that this is my favorite of all the frankincense blends that I've tried so far.

edit: It appears that I've spoken too soon. After a while, most of the frankincense disappears so I'm only left with myrrh, which I like, but liked with the frankincense more. Since it's so simple, however, I imagine that it would work very well with layering to deepen other blends.

edit again: Well, I don't care that the frankincense fades out before the myrrh. It stays long enough. I love this and I'm going to get a 5mL in my next order.

Edited by nineveh

Penitence

How have I ever gone this long without trying Penitence? Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous and I was in love from the first whiff from the vial. It's incensey to the point of smelling almost as though it has cloves in it on initial sniff. In fact, a faint clove-ishness lingers on me. The myrrh and frank blend together so wonderfully and leave me smelling like a resin coated, incense-wearing queen. (One in church, but of course.) This has so earned a spot on my bottle wishlist.

:P

pkwench, I concur. This fragrance positively glows. I have been searching for the perfect incence-y scent and this is it. How these two simple ingredients can be so inspiring, I do not know.

It is sweet, lies close to the skin, and makes no "headshop" suggestion at all. I find it less sharp than Cathedral, a bit more feminine.

Words fail me. I need a big bottle.

In the imp: omgwtf myrrh :D No frankincense scent, at least that I can detect with my mediocre nose. Sweeter and heavier than Cathedral.

First on: This is a very sweet, dreamy blend. The frankincense scent is hardly noticeable, at least on my skin. Kind of heavy for my taste.

Dry: Very spicy and warm. I would not consider this incense at all. Just spicy. Unfortunately much too heavy for me :P

This smells sweet, and kinda like wood to me. Definitely church incensey. It reminds me of a funeral. I get a really strong death sense from it (maybe too many Catholic relatives). I don't think I could wear this for that reason.

It does go awfully sweet on me, not the darker scent I was hoping for.

As time passes it becomes musky again- the very embodiment of Church incense. I love that smell, just not exactly on me.

However, I just told my husband, a Catholic about this scent and he got really excited, wanting a 10ml bottle to scent the house with.

:P Should I be afraid?

Nah, it'll make a good house scent.

Dry and incensy. Initially when wet it does have a sweet smell but this disappears during dry down. Not really my type of scent but I'm glad I got to try it.

BottleI knew the blend was pretty much frankinscense and myrrh, but I thought that it smelt very cocoa-like when I sniffed it.

On skin: Very nice. Still cocoa-like, but this time I got a wood scent. Smelt like a chocolate biscuit. Later on, it started smelling with the f and m that most people here are familiar with.

Very pleasant scent, but for me, it works better has a burn scent than one worn. 7/10.

I was excited to try Penitence because I normally love frankincense and myrrh. And that's definitely what this smells like. It's a rich, golden scent. It's a little bit on the perfumey, sharper side of resins, and I prefer more of a smooth, sweet, darker quality. In the drydown, this actually goes a bit soapy on me. Still, it's very simple and relaxing. I like this, but I just feel like there's something missing when I wear it, like perhaps it's too simple, and the soapy drydown isn't fantastic. I much prefer Cathedral, Faustus, Midnight Mass, and Priala for my resin blends.

Edited by Little Bird

In the Bottle or Imp:

Myrhh, it's mostly what I get. A hint of frankincense too, this is like snorfing a bowl of mixed resins before they're lit with charcoal. Very true to the resins.

Wet, on Skin:

This is great! I feel calmer already... this reminds me of very holy places, where I feel out of place for being an atheist but can feel the energy faith has imparted to a location.

Drying/Drydown:

Whoa, this myrrh is dark, and bitter.

Over Time/Longterm:

Eep. The myrrh just took over, and it's too much. Pungent.

Final Verdict?

It was good up until the myrrh, very true, took over. I might keep the imp and use it as a room scent.

in the bottle: church incense, one of my favourite smells.

wet on skin: there's a sweet background to this that I can't quite decipher. This would make an absolutely glorious oil to burn in an oil warmer. Frankincense and myrrh, blended together perfectly.

dry: is that sandalwood? I'm not sure. At any rate, this is fantastic.

this is my new favorite resin scent –- and I love all resin scents. let's see, it’s not spicy like anne bonny...it’s not dry and somber like cathedral...it’s not rich and warm like aureus. the sweetness of the myrrh is most noticeable, and there’s just a hint of smokiness. i want to wrap myself up in a blanket dipped in this stuff and lay there taking deep breaths all day long. it definitely goes on my "get a 5ml" list.

provenance: lab lagniappe! :P

in the imp: hmmmm. this is interesting. it is almost metallic smelling. an old copper penny. blood.

on my wrist, wet: that metallic tang is the first thing that i smell. it fades fairly fast. i feel as though i ought to know what this is; i've smelled it before. it is a dark scent, very much like -- dirt. i know, that sounds odd. but it's great smelling dirt. there is something spicy, here, as well. sandalwood but not.

on my wrist, dry: the spicy dirt lingers. this reminds me of the priest's censer at mass. dry, slightly smoky. similar to amber, but not amber. it is soothing and calming, in the dark way that being alone in an unlit room can be.

interesting.

Bottle (Imp): Smells dark, woody, and smoky.

Just On: Wow, quite dark and mysterious.

An hour or two later: Mmm, delish. Smokey, incensy goodness.

Around 6 hours: Incense.

12 hours: It's faded away to nothing now.

Overall: I like this much more than I expected.

After reading other reviews: I certainly see where the dark resin comes from in this. Just lovely.

This is a very incensey, slightly sharp scent. A very woody incense though, like old churches rather than the way incense smells in a new church.

Not for me though, into the swap pile.

I've only set foot in a Catholic church about 2 or 3 times in my entire life, and they never had the incense going, so I don't have that as much of an association for me. Neither have I knowingly smelled either frankincense or myrrh before. So this scent is... bizarre to me. Alien but intriguing.

Something about these resin scents leaves a dirty, gritty sensation in my nose and mouth, but that slowly fades. The scent starts off very bittersweet, imploring and compelling, but in a language I don't understand.

It almost makes me feel as if I'm a gilded, wooden idol. I touch my hair and I feel surprised I can move my hands through it.

A precious, ancient, golden scent that grows sweeter and softer with time. This is a pretty notable experience. I feel nervous about wearing it to work, as I don't know what kind of reaction it will get, especially from Catholics.

But if I ever had to try to convince someone that I was the angel Gabriel, boy would I know what scent to wear! I like!

In the imp: All frankincense. However, the fact that I have about 10 frankincense scents to try out may have affected my nose--it seems that I'm smelling it everywhere! :P

Wet: Still all frankincense. I have no problem with this, but I'm somewhat surprised at the myrrh's reticence.

Drydown and wear: Ah, there's the myrrh. This is lovely. I knew I would like this--I'm Catholic, and this scent has a lot of nice associations for me. This makes me want to try Cathedral and order All Saints. I'm quite happy with the way Penitence worked on me, and it's moved up to the "bottle list."