Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

Tweedledum

Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

It smells sweet and fruity to me in the imp and wet. Dry, it smells like spicy Juicy Fruit...which is not a bad thing imo. Boyfriend compared it to the way Hot Topic smelled in the 90s--that patchouli incense waft combined with the fruity, bubblegum perfumes that were so popular back then.

Update: I'm going back through all my old frimps that I remember liking but never pulled the trigger on. Revisited this one and wow, yep I definitely love this. Does what it says on the tin: fruity mango patchouli tea (aka spicy Juicy Fruit to my nose). Like others have said, it's a nice, gentle patchouli, so you probably don't need to worry about offending the patchouli haters in your life. It also has decentish throw, but is still light enough you could get away with wearing it to work. Definitely getting a full bottle on my next order because this is just straight up happiness in perfume oil form to me.

Edited by Beary Strange
update

In the imp: I think this imp must be super aged, because I'm getting more patchouli from this than anything else, with some green mango and fig in the background.

Wet: The patchouli note is the most prominent, but it is a soft patchouli. I'm also getting some fig, but it's not as strong as the patchouli and fig notes in scents like To His Mistress Going to Bed or a A Moment in Time. After a few minutes, the green mango note emerges, along with the green tea. The fig and the mango seem to be growing stronger over time, but they never overtake the patchouli.

Dry: The patchouli note still reigns, followed by the fig. The patchouli is stronger than it was initially, and while I'm still getting a bit of the green mango, I'm not getting much green tea anymore.

Verdict: This one is too patchouli-forward for me, and I'm not really a fan of the patchouli and fruits combo. I'll hang on to my imp since I collect all things Mad Tea Party, but I don't need more of this.

I feel like this one confuses my nose a bit at the start. I get mango that isn't quite ripe yet and patchouli. The sweet/sour doesn't really mix well with the earthiness. It's a good thing that it doesn't last through the dry down. The fig joins the mango and makes this a gently fruity scent. I'm not wild about this, but it's not bad either.

green tea with a little sweetness i guess from the mango? but that's as far as i got because when i tried to put the cap back on the imp it exploded in my face! I can still taste it lol.

received as a frimp from the lab! :) i generally don't do fruity scents but am delighted to try this. right off i get a pretty mango with a hint of green tea. after a minute or two, i get a little hint of fig, but this is mostly mango. later on i get something slightly earthy, which i suppose is the patchouli, which is very very subtle. primarily i'd say this is a light fruity tea scent, and a good perfume for summer.

Tweedledum almost works for me.

It starts off with bright mango, and is quite refreshing. The fig gives some depth to it, and the patchouli adds an earthy tone.

Unfortunately, as usual, the patchouli turns quite bitter and ruins it for me.

Still, it was worth a try.

This is an interesting, fruity and indeed quite absurd scent that I'd highly recommend to anyone who isn't enemies with patchouli.

Edited by Miss_Unicorn

Delicious mango fig smoothie! I get a teeny bit of earthiness from the patch but it just provides a nice backdrop for the fruits. This one is amazing!

Ooooo, this is nice.  This is a gentle patchouli, a little dirty but kept from getting filthy by the sweet fig and fruity mango green tea.  

I like fruit smells, so I was enticed by the mango and fig description. It's not nearly as mango forward as I'd hope. It's sweet, but the tea and patchouli have really adulterated it into something more. Giving it an edge that I'm not super fond of, but I don't hate it either. If it was more like a fruity tea, I would've been all over it, but the patchouli is giving it that perfumey note that makes it not a foody smell. 

Not bad, but not fruit/food like I wished it was. Still gonna wear it and see how long term I'll enjoy it. 

In the imp, this is bright and tart with a small edge of earthiness. On my skin, it's largely the same. I can pick out the green tea and mango, but the fig and patchouli merge into a soft earthy note that gives this an edge. Unfortunately, this fades within minutes on me, so it isn't something I'll be wearing.

Wet, this is tart FRUIT! I can't even tell what kind (I didn't check the notes first), but it is tart and juicy and bright and delicious. Within maybe half an hour, all the tartness disappears and I have sweet, heavy fig and smooth patchouli. I do love both fig and patchouli, so I'm not mad about this - but I wish the tart stage lasted longer. The dry stage hangs around for a long time, close to the skin - it's the kind of wild party where the after-party lasts longer than the party itself.

Juicy fig backed by a soft patchouli. I don't get much mango or tea, but I really like this scent. Satisfying on its own or with Tweedledee to brighten it up a bit.

Faint mangos and tea. It's sweet and summery. As it fades, the patchouli comes out more. Not really getting any fig.

I think I prefer Tweedledee to this. My imp is likely aged, so I think I would enjoy this if it was fresh. I think layering this with that would be better than just wearing it on it's own.

Whacky.  I was really thinking this had cedar in it, and the cedar was really behaving itself for once on my skin.  I guess that's cause it's actually patchouli.  😐  I'm getting fruitiness up front, mostly the mango, with a backing of woody patch that becomes the most prominent note as Tweedledum dries down.  The mango isn't super sweet or juicy to my nose.  Maybe that's b/c it's an older imp, or maybe it's because it's "green" mango, but this give me more of a sun dried mango sort of smell. I'm guessing the fig is deepening to overall frutiness. By the time everything has settled in, I get an earthy, spicy, cedar smell, with just a hint of warm mango adding complexity.  I never get any green tea vibes at all. 

This seems like it could actually work on a guy really well, if he has any interest in fruity smells (Again, this imp is well aged.) or for someone looking for a different sort of mango from the typical fruit punch sort of thing.  For me, I think it's not quite patchouli enough, or else not quite in your face, fruity enough to be a win.  It's pleasant though.  :)  I'd love to see this blend of notes without the patchouli - as a more buoyant, juicy sort of summer scent.

I have never reviewed this? Never tried this, even? Absurd! 

In the imp: Patchouli and fig laced with mango and green tea. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's green mango and green tea on top, overlaying the fig and patchouli. The two bottom notes are vying with one another to be the most dominant there. As it dries, the green tea and mango slowly dial back, so I'm left with fig and patchouli, which produces a combination not unlike what I've gotten from The Strangler Fig and... some other BPAL I recently tried that had something like a "fig wood" note listed in it. It's just so, a softly woody scent infused with fig smell (which sounds a lot weirder when I type it out but smells a lot nicer on my skin). 

It has a moderate amount of throw on me, and it ends up being mostly the patchouli-fig brightened just a touch by green mango and green tea. I like this quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's truly enough to want to seek out a bottle (especially now that I'm in a paring-down mood), but I do like this. 

I would not have picked this out, but I got it as a frimp from a lovely forumite. I think I should look out for fruit and patch blends now, since Seesaw found its way into my top ten - and Tweedledum reminds me slightly of Seesaw, in the sense that it is fruit forward underpinned by soft earthy patchouli. I would love more fig from this, and honestly more patch, but it is really nice as it is.  

I've never had a problem with patchouli. I've never had a problem with fig. But somehow, the two notes combine in this to becomes a nasty, rotting smell. This smells like an overripe mango that's been left on the counter for too long and is starting to leave a sticky pus under it, next to an open container of tea leaves.

The mango note smells the same way biting into a slightly green banana tastes, but it mostly fades upon drydown and fig becomes the dominant fruit. Reminds me of patchouli + iced green tea with fruit jellies. It's very faint, though.