Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

Tweedledum

Absurd! Green mango, fig, patchouli and green tea.

I am really rather surprised by this! It sounded off-putting to me from the description, but has turned out to be lovely.

In imp: Fruity, not in a good way.
Wet: Juicy and fruity, with the patchouli aging it nicely and the green tea keeping it balanced.
Dry: Reminds me a little of Horreur Sympathique, but a bit less in your face.

Verdict: I'll be keeping this imp, for sure.

In the Imp (ITI): Mango is the first significant note that reveals itself as I sniff. The ester is a little overwhelming, but the tea seems to try to calm it down. There is just a touch of warmness underneath, which may be from the fig.

Wet: Strong mango with earthy fig. I can’t smell much of the tea now.

Dry: Figgy mango. What a strange scent.

Wet: a mixture of berry juice and green tea

Drydown/Dry: Juicy fig tempered by robust, earthy patchouli. Purple, pink, and brown. Speckles of green tea and mango break up the sweet heaviness of the fig and patchouli. It's odd, because the fig and patchouli are easiest to identify, but the mango and green tea seem to actually be the ones in control of this scent. It's surprisingly fresh!

A Lab frimp, tested blind.

In Vitro Rich and sweet.

Wet Banana? Definitely banana-like upon application. A bit of throw but quickly faded back to skin only. After a few minutes it was less banana-ish and more like fruity candy.

Drying Not banana, but decidedly tropical fruit even though I didn't smell coconut or pineapple. Very sweet but not cloying. At this stage I wrote on my card, "reminds me of High-Strung Daisies". It remained the same as it faded away, about two hours' worth.

I re-applied a couple of hours later and it was exactly the same. Short duration, but so... happy.

This was another big surprise for me. Now I can identify the mango in this blend, but I can't pick out any of the others even though I've sniffed all three in various combinations in other BPAL oils. Depraved (patchouli and apricot) on me turned to musty wood and no fruit but I didn't get a hint of that from Tweedledum. I'm planning to compare 'Dum and Depraved, as well as 'Dum and Carnal (fig and mandarin). I don't feel the need for a bottle but I'll definitely use up the imp.

I have worn this a handful of times now - and 75% of the time I get all 4 notes equally and in perfect balance. When it works on me, I love the mixture of green mango (fruity), fig (rich), patchouli (earthy spice) and green tea (herbal)!

The other 25% of the time, today for example, it smells exactly like B.O. Imagine slathering body odor all over your neck and wrist :ugh: Sadly, I noticed it on my way into work, so there was no turning back. My boss came into my office for a meeting and her response was "oh, that was you who had that peculiar smell the other day." Ugh! Embarrassing!

I am going to keep on trying with Tweedledum, but if he does this to me one more time...it might just be off with his head!

This is a nice scent, mainly mango and fig. The patchouli is a nice touch with it.

I've had this particular imp for quite a while, and although patch scents usually get better with age, I'm pretty sure I liked this better when it was fresh. That's an odd experience for me.

Wet - Mango Mango and more mango. Smells like a sweet hard candy.

On Skin - Sweet pachouli and fig. It smells very fruity.

Dry - The sweetness subsides. Slight essence of green tea.

Would recommend to anyone who enjoys sweet fruity smells.

The patchouli here would normally have been enough to warn me off of it, but all the reviews seemed to say that it's primarily fruit, with just a darker undertone form the patchouli. Mango, fig, and green tea sounded like a heavenly combination to me, so I decided to give it a try. I've been really hoping for a perfect mango.

I should have trusted my instincts here. As soon as it touched my skin, this blossomed into nothing more than dirty, oily wood. I didn't get any fruit or tea at all. (My skin chemistry is incredibly fickle, however, so take this balanced against the weight of the rest of the review thread.) I'm mostly posting this review because though I should have known better, the throw and lasting power were incredible -- which is great news for the people this would work on, but less so for me. I scrubbed with dish soap several times, showered, and could still catch whiffs of this on my wrist the next morning.

Edited by cherryberryice

Ok, so this is one I really wanted to try. Mostly for the green mango, so I'm hoping that comes out strong on me.

In the imp: Sweet and fruity - I think I;m getting more of the fig than the mango. What mango is there makes it seem like a ripe mango rather than a green one.

Wet on skin: Same so far. A pile of figs with a slice of mango. I'm not even getting the green tea or patch.

Dried down: ::sigh:: This isn't changing at all, except that it's smelling less and less like mango. I love figs, normally, but that'a not what I wanted out of this scent.

Throw: There isn't much. There's the bare fruitiness wafting around my head, but I need a wrist sniff to really get anything.

Verdict: *** I'm giving this a three, because I don't really hate it. I wanted to give it a two, for not doing what I wanted, though. Diwali and Epibulia are still my mango scents. I'll keep searching the GC for one, though. And maybe I'll give this another try sometime. It's not going to be a high priority, though. I think I'm going to put on a little Epibulia and get some real mango scent.

To my nose: I'm not really sure what I'm smelling here.. Green tea, and fig I think. A lot of people think that patchouli smells like dirt, and in this case it actually does. I normally never get dirt from patchouli (or blends that contain it).

On: Fig and mango bathing in green tea. That's all there is, no morphing, no nothing. The tea has a bit of a "lemony" note in it, which is nice. I just wished this would be fruitier. but now when I look at the notes I keep wondering how I thought this was gonna be a fruit-party? I must've confused it with something else.

This smells exactly like Juicy Fruit gum on me. Exactly.

I may keep this imp just for sentimental value. I probably won't want to smell like this very often! but I will want to just smell it. Maybe I'll use it in the scent locket in the summer.

I'm surprised by this little imp! It's deliciously fruity, thanks to the mango and fig, while being grounded by the patchouli and tea notes. It's sweet and a little warm, but with a nice ever so slightly earthy backdrop - thanks to the patchouli. I know my skin amps patchouli, so take this review with the grain of salt. I didn't find this blend too cloyingly sweet or saccharine. I think this is a very wearable spring/summer scent. I could definitely see myself getting a big bottle of this. :wub2:

It's quite tropical and fruity in the imp. Wet, is is juicy mango and fig, and I don't get the patchouli at all. During the drydown, I still smell mango and fig. Dry, I can finally smell the patchouli. I like it! I may have to find myself a bottle :)

In the imp: Exactly as described - this really does smell absurd! I'm a little nervous about the patchouli as that usually doesn't like me (it tends to go absolutely foul &/or cause severe headaches & nausea), but I'm hoping it will play nicely this time!

Wet on skin: Patchouli seems to be the main note here but this is really weird because it didn't instantly go gross! It's smelling like how patchouli often smells on people who aren't me! The green tea is there too & the fruits are way off in the background.

Dry on skin: WHY HELLO THERE MANGO & FIG! So nice of you to join us (& so intensely)! Yuuuuuuum! The green tea & patchouli are just playing nicely together in the background! Did I just say the patchouli is behaving itself? On MY skin? I don't want to jinx this, but so far this is smelling GORGEOUS! Mango & fig are most definitely my friends!

After a few hours: *Whimper* This is so nice! It's basically the same as dry, except slightly faded. The patchouli is still behaving (it's almost not even there!), the mango & fig are still in charge & the green tea is just balancing it all nicely!

Verdict: I love this! It smells like a fantasy tropical-island dessert (or cocktail)! Perfect for summer evenings!

This smells exactly like bubblegum and Silky Bat. The fruit notes amp as it dries with a bit of sugared Silky Bat patchouli. Fruit notes work so well with patchouli, it's one of my favorite combinations. I'm really enjoying this but I don't think its bottle worthy. My imp will do! :)

In the imp: Juicy Fruit gum.

Wet on my skin: Delicious, juicy tropical fruit, with a musky hint of patchouli.

Dry: This triggers a scent memory for me. It smells just enough like a lotion that I used all through college, and that is a good memory to me. It's tropical fruit with a musky edge thanks to the patchouli, and it's really quite pretty. The fruit and tea all blend together well enough that I have a hard time picking out the individual notes unless I really give it a good sniff. It's a green and pink scent, but not in a watermelony sort of way. Tasty.

In the imp: I have really bad scent associations with mango (my elementary school/middle school/high school/some of college BFF was deathly allergic to them) and figs (...dead wasps. Dead wasps inside figs. Say no more), so I when I read the description (this was a frimp), I was a little worried. But what I'm actually getting is a fun, fruity, silly child-like smell - gum and Froot Loops and Starburst and Lifesavers and everything else I wasn't allowed to have as a kid. If there is any patchouli or green tea here, it's buried too far under the fruit for me to detect it.

Wet: Still predominantly fruit, but now the green tea is much more visible, giving it a nice fresh base to rest on. Maaaaaybe a bare hint of patchouli is working its way in too, but the overall effect is of a less child-like scent, but still a very young, fun one. This isn't something I would wear to class (I'm a grad student) or to a job interview or anything, but for a summer day out with friends, this may be just the ticket.

Dry: Very linear - the same clean, fruity scent, only less so. Alas, the patchouli never did show up for me...

Tea, patch, and fruit - what could possibly go wrong?

I briefly catch a whiff of mango and then it stubbornly settles into fruit potpourri. This is exactly what Dionysia smells like on me; like walking into Pier One.

I love fig and patchouli, but there's a weird note in this that spoils it for me. I like The Grave-Pig much better as far as fig and patchouli go.

I can't believe this--an agreeable patchouli! The patchouli in this reminds me of the one in Miss Dior Cherie (2005) that I enjoyed. Tweedledum's dimensions are thick, yet light. The patchouli, the crispness of the green tea and green mango, and the slight sweetness from the fig combine to make a very likable scent. Green and fresh, but with some weight.

I really have to admire the technical artistry of the Mad Tea Party line even if I haven't appreciated most of the scents per se. All the notes here cycle and intermingle repeatedly; it's quite fascinating. I can't bear patchouli so this isn't for me, but the execution is brilliant.

mp: green happy fruit
Wet on Me: happy green fruit. almost reminds me of Fruit Stripe gum!
Drying Down: getting faint traces of the fig sweetness and the green fruit is less front and center
Dry: this dries down very faint and close to the skin. still has that faint happy green fruit with faint fig traces and the patchouli never really showed itself!

Green tea bubblegum. In the imp I get green, fruity patchouli. But on, it turns to green tea and bubblegum...

Bottle: Green mango, sweet

Wet: Like bubblegum mango

10 Minutes: Definitely more green mango, and I get a bit of green tea. Patchouli just wafts in the background and fig adds a subtle sweetness to it. Definitely not too sweet or floral but quiet effeminate at the same time.

Dry down: More patchouli I think-- that wet earth smell? With a touch of sweetness still and green mango. Maybe even more green tea here. It's quite a nice mature effeminate scent.

I don't know if I will be wearing this one too often, but I could see myself enjoying this one a lot in summer.