Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
slave1

The King of Hearts

Rosewood and black cherry with white musk, red rose, red musk and a spark of lavender.

In Vitro Blind test; very pale yellow in the imp. Sweet but not sharp, nothing I could identify. Sniffing deeply produced something like cinnamon.

Wet A bit of citrus-like throw during application. Freshly on this was possibly citrus and spice. After three minutes this was joined by a possible floral, which dominated the initial notes after another three minutes. The whole was nice but not strong.

Drying Ten minutes on this was floral-y, citrus-y, and mildly spicy, faint but very nice, and remained that way through the first half hour. At the one hour mark I was surprised by musk-type sweetness, and it was actually a bit stronger. This stage lasted another hour, fading to vague sweetness.

Looking at the notes list I can see I guessed correctly at musk and floral, although I couldn't pick out rose even when I sniffed the imp again knowing the contents. The "spice" might have been the lavender or maybe the rosewood. I don't need a bottle of this but I'll use the imp.

In the imp: Ripe fresh cherries and ... aftershave?

Wet on Skin: Cherries and aftershave
Dry: Cherries are the main component of this scent while there is a floral/slightly musky background.

This is an interesting scent. The cherries are quite prominent, which I really liked, but the background of lavender/rose just seemed a little too "mens aftershave" for me. I was surprised to see that there is red and white musk in this as I could barely detect it. Normally I amp musk like crazy, but with this scent, I didn't ... hummm. Anyway, it's a pretty smell - but not something I would normally wear.

I got this as a frimp and it was a fabulous surprise! This is definitely unisex, and would be absolutely fabulous for a man who wants to smell like fruit, but not sweet or feminine.

It's mostly cherry when I put it on, but has a strong, solid wood note. I thought maybe it was mahogany, but I see it is rosewood, which surprised me. It is fruity, and very fresh and light smelling. Not sweet at all, just kind of refreshing.

As it dries the cherry slips away and I'm left with a light wood and musk scent. It's quite faint. I don't exactly get lavender, but there is a touch of a herbal note. My imp is extremely fresh so I'd expect the musk and lavender to get a bit stronger as it ages.

This starts off straight cherry syrup and dries down to a soothing lavendar and rosewood scent--very pretty, but unfortunately I'm very sensitive to lavendar.

In the imp: Dominantly sweet, wet black cherry. Which would concern me, since I amp fruit like nobody's business, but there's something else here, taking the cherry half a step down from being sickly-sweet into something more interesting. Maybe it's the rosewood, maybe the red musk, maybe the rose...I dunno.

Wet: Now there's a change! The cherry is almost entirely gone, leaving a sort of sweet, woodsy lavender in its place. I get the impression of lavender buds kept in my grandmother's massive old wooden armoire, sprinkled with sugar water or rosewater. I can maybe pick up a touch of cherry in the underlying sweetness that keeps the lavender from going too herbal.

Dry: The rose and/or rosewood quickly eclipses the lavender, but the warm, cuddly woodsiness remains. And boy howdy, is it some good woodsiness - broad and sweet without cloying, the cherry becoming almost almond-like (sort of a reverse process as in Blood and Judgement So Well Commedled) just the thing for a cold blustery day like today. In fact, this smells so divine on me that I'd almost swear that amber was in here - it's that good! But it's probably the red musk giving me a false positive. Maybe. On me, red musk can do anything from amping fruit into too-sweet territory, settling for a bland sort of office-appropriate pleasantness, or occasionally making a good blend GREAT, as in here.

Well, I've learned cherry is a death note for me. This one didn't turn chemically on me which seems to happen with cherry and grape. The lavender and rosewood help cut the cherry, but for me, it's still CHERRY.

Wet: Not dissimilar to The Red Queen, on me, though the lavender in this sets them apart. The cherry and wood are a bit similar though. I'm finding them to be really discordant with the lavender.

Dry: This is really strange on me. Wood, cheery and lavender. The combination is just not doing it for me. It's not bad or anything, just not something that I feel I want to wear.

When I first put this on, it smelled like men's shaving cream and read as very bathroomy, but once it dries down (which happens quickly), it turns into a fresh, bright lavender and rose scent with a big whimsical cherry in the background. This would be a great cologne for a fun, quirky man/woman. It feels spring/summery and very Alice in Wonderland. :dance:

Edited by DameTrixie

Rose, lavender, and...sweat. :(

Stupid skin chemistry. This doesn't work on me in the same way Whitechapel doesn't work on me, so I'm going to blame it on the white musk. I smell like a guy who's just been for a run. I smell like my dad when he'd just come from a run.

...My dad and I don't get along so hot.

This one's a nope. Damn skin.

I tested this one a long time ago, but apparently neglected to put my review on the forum.

In the imp: Mostly black cherry and lavender. I'm glad that I am not detecting the red musk in the imp. Hopefully it will remain that way on the skin.

Wet: The black cherry and lavender are the most prominent at first, but the lavender quickly becomes the dominant note. I like lavender, so this isn't a bad thing for me. I am also getting the rose, but I'm not sure if it is the rose or the rosewood (or both). I keep getting random wafts of the black cherry, and the musks are lingering in the background. This is odd.

Dry: Still lavender-dominant, but this is rather light now.

Verdict: I wish this had been like it was in the imp, but alas, that was not the case. I will keep my imp (and perhaps use this in a scent locket), but I don't think I need a bottle of this one.

In the imp, and wet on my skin, this smelled like cherry cola with a tiny hint of lavender. It was odd, but not bad. I was interested to see if it would morph when it dried.

Well, it morphed. But not in a good way. Within five minutes of putting it on, all I could smell was lavender dryer sheets. I left it on for another couple hours, hoping it would change again. But it didn't. Eventually the lavender started giving me a headache, so I washed it off. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to have to try to swap this one.

It opens with a mix of red cherry, rosewood and lavender. The effect is nearly herbal. Later on, there's more cherry and musk, less rosewood. The drydown is red musk with hints of rose. Very low throw and wear length. It's a very interesting scent and I'd be interested in a full bottle if only it lasted longer.

This is rather soapy at first. After a bit, more fruit comes out, and it's more of a fruity soap, not unlike The Body Shop fruit soaps that you can get.

Not sure this one likes me much, as I can't smell most of the notes I should be. It starts out mostly lavender, assertive and fragrant without being too harsh, then fades down to a soft, floral, and slightly powdery rose scent. I get no fruit and no wood, and I'm even surprised to see red musk in the ingredients list! It's nice but probably not a bottle for me.

This is a lab imp.

Wet: lightly sweet, lightly fruity, lightly floral. Definitely picking up that tinge of lavender in the background. I think, mixed with the wood or musk, this ends up smelly creamy from far away?

Dry: I really don't get any of the bright red or rose smells that everyone else is mentioning. This seems like a very demure, spring scent. It sticks close to my skin, and isn't overpowering in any way. It just smells lightly sweet and clean.

Odd - reminds me of an unusual candy I ate as a child. Cherry and lavender together, maybe? Ahh, yeah. this dries down into a very unusual cherry blend. Interesting!

Where I'd wear this: Tea parties with nieces

The King of Hearts morphed on me quite a bit. I didn't get any cherry at first, but wet it was an almost citrusy, bright lavender with hints of rose. In drydown, lavender remained the most prominent note, backed up by rose and rosewood, though it is never as woody on me as Queen of Hearts. Eventually the musk started peeking out, and now, an hour and 45 minutes after application, it is mostly cherry over a musky base. It's very pleasant to sniff my arm, but there is no throw on me at all. Nice, and I'll wear the imp, but not a bottle purchase.

My skin does a lot of awful things to cherry notes. I mostly get fermenting cherries and some strong musk. I usually like musks as a family of notes, but this is not helping. The cherry, white musk, and red musk fight angrily for dominance until the lavender comes in around 20 minutes later and settles them down a bit. The king is really not my friend.

Very gardeny when first applied, I can see how this relates to the queen's rose garden from Alice in Wonderland lol. It’s also quite strong on rosewood which is a note I’ve loved since I tried Ouija. It’s not overly ROSE rose, but a nice combo of cherry-rose-rosewood with a bite of lavender. Unique. It’s a sweet fresh powdery floral that’s pretty unlike any others I’ve tried, though the lavender recalls Lurid a tiny bit. 15 minutes into wearing, lavender beginning to dominate and goes a bit powdery, but then rosewood comes up to meet it and it creates a lovely spiciness. The overall color impression I get is a dusty medium purple and red velvet. I quite like this, it’s unlike anything I already have! Sadly there’s not as much throw as I’d like and it doesn’t last longer than 6 hours before fading to a skin scent, but it's really unique and cool!

Oh wow! This seems kind of masculine to me. I really like it! This would be a delightful laundry spray. I wish I could somehow add this scent to freshly washed clothes. The rosewood is delicious. With those notes I'm so surprised this is pulling male on me.

This shares only lavender with Wilde but I find them similar.

In the imp it's a bright POP of cherry with a slightly herbal undertone. I tend to amp woods, so wet on me is all rosewood--nothing else even coming close.

Unfortunately, once dry this is straight-up original scent Avon Skin-So-Soft. It's not unpleasant, really--it's a sort of nostalgic childhood smell for me. It's not something I really want to smell like though.

The King of Hearts is a sexy man.  At first it was a pretty, sweet rose, but then it dried down to a beautifully blended scent where no one scent is louder than the others, they're all supporting each other in a harmonious blend.  I get the rosewood, sweetened by black cherry, and then a nice, mellow herbal lavender that isn't too astringent.  The musks are hanging out in the background but not trying to dominant.  Usually red musk goes haywire on my skin and rose can be overly loud, but here they behave and play well with the other notes.  

Very gardeny when first applied, I can see how this relates to the queen's rose garden lol. It’s also quite strong on rosewood which is a note I’ve loved since I tried Ouija. It’s not overly ROSE but a nice combo of cherry-rose-rosewood with a bite of lavender. Very unique. It’s a sweet, fresh, powdery floral that’s pretty unlike any others I’ve tried (though the lavender recalls Lurid a bit). 15 min in, lavender is beginning to dominate. Goes a bit powdery then rosewood comes up to meet it and it creates a lovely spiciness. The overall vibe is a dusty, medium purple and red velvet. I quite like this, it’s unlike anything I already have! Sadly there’s not as much throw as I’d like and it doesn’t last longer than 6 hours before fading to a skin scent