Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tragic heroine from German lore. In despair over a faithless lover, she threw herself into the Rhine. In death, she has become a siren that haunts that river to this day, luring sailors to their doom. Neroli, sandalwood, ylang ylang.

Loralei ITB: sharp florals - almost unpleasant to my nose.

On: sour and very cologney.

Dry: sweetened up, much more pleasant. Throw is sweetly floral. Up close to wrists it is still sour, however. The sandalwood behaved this time, but I don't think ylang ylang really likes me.

Edited by Wench457

Neroli flavored sugar and grass. A spring day in a sunny candy shop, grass stains on my knees. Very light, pretty, sweet, and girly.

I don't usually go for scents like this, but I keep reaching for it when I want something silly and sweet.

Incidentally, I never get any sandalwood from this blend. *shrug*

Neroli, sandalwood, ylang ylang - three notes I normally love.

Somehow, though, the trinity in this formulation doesn't work for me. Immediately upon application: the neroli is so sharp it almost smells like … old lady perfume. On me, this has a dated, department store smell. It reminds me of Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger which unfortunately is the last orange flower perfume that I tried and which only lasted minutes on my arm until it HAD to be scrubbed off. This lasted a little longer. Oh well... maybe my chemistry is buggered. Then again, maybe I just can't take orange flower in prominent doses. Good to know, I guess. :P

Floral vinegar. No sandalwood, a little neroli, and something that I wouldn't have identified as ylang ylang if I hadn't known that's what it was. Blech.

After several hours, it dries to a soft and rather pretty floral, but's it's certainly not worth smelling like vinegar for hours just to get to that phase.

In the bottle: I don't know if it's neroli or ylang ylang... but it's very much one of those!

On the skin: It's almost too girly for me. I think it's the neroli -- I remember it from Akuma, but it was way lighter there then it is in Loralei. There's a sickly sweet undertone to it that reminds me of people I don't want to remember... Oh well.

Pretty, cool scented floral blend. Neroli is one of my favorite notes, and it blends beautifully with the sandalwood and ylang ylang. Often ylang ylang goes sour on my skin, but here it's utterly feminine and delicate. I wouldn't purchase a full bottle, but I've enjoyed my imp.

I shied away from the ylang ylang blends for a long time, because there is nothing--NOTHING--more disgusting than cheap drugstore ylang ylang, which caused me to think I would hate all ylang ylang. However, with my most recent order, I decided, "Hey, why not see what this stuff REALLY smells like?"

Well, this doesn't smell like neroli on me, and it doesn't really smell like sandalwood either, so I must be getting mainly ylang ylang here. And I must say--if this is ylang ylang, bring it on!

The last thing I expected was something this *green* and fresh. This smells like dewy grass, a slight hint of flowers, a bit of fresh water--the woods in spring. It's absolutely lovely, and very "clean". I get the feeling I'll be using this more and more as it gets warmer out.

Edited by lady_pandora

This smells much more aquatic on me than I would expect from the description. The ylang ylang behaves itself and doesn't go all rotten leaves on me. The neroli isn't too overpowering. It is pleasant, lightly floral and juicy, but not quite for me, I think. It smells like something a young girl could wear. I'll keep the imp because this may be good for summer.

i love neroli so much, but am not too familiar with bpal's neroli. this was a lot sweeter than i would've expected-perhaps it's the ylang ylang, which i am not overly familar with either. it's a pretty floral, and a bit sweet. with neroli i expected a more tart-sweetness, but it wasn't like that at all. still a pretty scent though, but a bit too floral-sweet for my tastes.

Edited by theseagrows

I really like the sandalwood in this, sometimes sandalwood is too sharp or overbearing for me but in this it's just right. The only problem is that the ylang-ylang is kind of sharp and soapy smelling. It dries down nicely, but in the beginning the florals are very sharp. I'll hang on to my imp for now...

bottle:

interesting incense/floral blend

wet:

I can smell the ylang-ylang, hint of sandalwood, so I guess the rest is neroli. Smells a little more like a traditional perfume, but it's not musky.

dry:

floral but not girly, very grown up.

overall:

Nice, but not really my style.

rating: 6/10

Bottle: squints eyes. "Whoa, take 'er easy there, Pilgrim neroli."

Wet: sandalwood, where are you sandalwood?

Dry: Neroli! New! Improved! With a hint of ylang ylang!

Later: love this story. love the Brothers Grimm. I don't love neroli, because neroli does not love me. Draw!

In the bottle: A watery, sweet and a bit spicy neroli. Yum!

Wet: Aquatic neroli, ooh! It's really lovely!

Drydown: A very airy scent, very light neroli and a little bit of sandalwood peeking through, grounding things. It's watery and light, a little bit woody, surprisingly not even very spicy. It's close to the skin and fresh, but also sensual.

Overall: This is absolutely not what I was expecting, it's soooo much better! It's pretty and watery and sensual, very siren-like - in fact this is what I'd have wanted Siren to smell like! This really does smell of streams and lakes, but also of something really warm and perfumy from the sandalwood that hypnotises you. Lovely!

I don't smell the neroli, my nose must be broken. *sob*

This is however watery and strong. Very good throw and it lst quite a while.

In bottle: Pure ylang-ylang

On skin, wet: Neroli and ylang-ylang

On skin, dry: a hint of sandalwood and not a lot else until the ylang-ylang comes back.

Conclusion: Ylang-ylang and I do not a happy couple make, apparently.

Rating: 0/5

This was really not my scent... I generally like florals, but this was somehow too 'fresh' & aquatic for me! And I'm definitely not into aquatic scents. I didn't detect much of ylang-ylang (which I like) in it, or neroli, alas.

Edited by rosetta

Loralei is one of the few BPALs with sandalwood and neroli that I really like. The ylang ylang gives the blend a distinctly fruity note, although I don’t pick up the citrus from it that I usually do. The neroli gives the scent a hint of floral. It’s a fresh, countryside-type scent and I can see how the scent and its inspiration are related. It’s pretty and I’ll be hanging on to my imp of this but probably not buying a full bottle. It’s got a moderate level of throw, but very poor staying power (on my skin, anyway).

In the Imp: Sharp and slightly sour, with a perfume note.

On the wrist, wet: Very faint, but something very sweet is beginning to make itself known....

Drydown: Sickeningly sweet. This turned into pure Ylang Ylang on me.

This is a great scent for sweet, floral kind of girls. Alas, not me. Off to the swaps.

Berries! Berries still on the vine- but not yet ripe for picking! White wine-"Tyrolia" exactly: smells a bit sour, tastes pretty sweet!

This one takes me outside and into the hills, where lush gardens secretly grow, protected by tall pines. The air is crisp and the foliage is hinting the first bloom in spring! Spry animals coo to potential mates while boys and girls everywhere suddenly see each other very differently, for the first time......

Summary: Innocence, on the cusp of sin!

Darkwriter :P

Edited by Shollin

Plain old neroli. I really hope the other notes come through on my skin. Unfortunately, they don't really. The neroli is still dominant and still too unpleasant.

In the bottle: that odd nail polish remover scent I also got on the first sniff of Hecate and Hellfire. Not particularly inviting, but I ended up liking the two scents previously mentioned, so I went ahead and tried it.

Initial application: the nail polish remover smell quickly disappears and turns into a nice, almost damp smelling floral, distinct but not overpowering.

Drydown: oh no! I'm getting that off-putting "green smell," not clean grass and flowers green, but "vegetables that are about to turn bad" green. I have no idea what's causing it, I'm guessing the neroli is at odds with my body chemistry, since I've tried scents with ylang ylang and sandalwood in it with no problems before.

Later...back to the nice floral scent, though now it's just a generalized perfumey floral. I'm going to give this another try, see if neroli + me=rotting celery again, before deciding whether to keep or swap it. I want to like it, but the jury is still out.

In the bottle: It has a sharp, almost astringent quality to it, though there’s sweetness too. It’s on the floral side, but I’m not always fond of florals. Perhaps the sandalwood can balance that out for me.

Wet: It is still a combination of sharp and sweet that’s on the intriguing side on my skin. I am still unsure about it, since floral notes have a propensity to go soapy on me.

Drying down: The sharpness and the sandalwood seem to be keeping the florals in check for now.

Dry: The sharpness has taken on some bitterness as well. It’s fitting for the description. It’s a pretty, feminine, yet sinister scent.

Later: Loralei went powdery rather than soapy, which for me is a good thing. It’s pleasant, but I don’t think it’s one of my favorites.

Well sandalwood hates me. I'm not particularly fond of the scent in the first place but it seems my skin amps it. This is mostly sandalwood on me, but it's a very soft sandalwood (from the ylang ylang?). It's feminine with an edge, soft but with a hard core. The neroli does come out a biut to play as time goes on.

Edited by neuilly

In the imp: Floral, but with a slight sharpness, almost sandiness to it.

Wet: Still almost a sandy texture. I can pick out the sandalwood, which I love, but I'm not really wild about the floral part.

Dry: Mmm.. sandalwood comes out a bit more.

This was nice. I'm just more :P about other blends :D