Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tragic heroine from German lore. In despair over a faithless lover, she threw herself into the Rhine. In death, she has become a siren that haunts that river to this day, luring sailors to their doom. Neroli, sandalwood, ylang ylang.

In bottle: sweet, floral but not overly so, mostly neroli and ylang ylang.

Wet on skin: sweet, the floral element is sharp and fruity, but overall it's round and clear. A little orangey, a little sandalwood, but mostly light, golden and pretty.

Dry on skin: pretty, but too floral for me to love it. However it's a very inoffensive, worksafe scent.
Short wear length.

Wet on my skin, Loralei is neroli and ylang ylang, no sandalwood at all. As it dries, the ylang ylang vanishes. Still, this is a very pretty scent, perfect for summer.

wondefull! keep sniffing my arm :P

I m an ylang ylang freak, so I had to try it :D

dry, warm scent, adorable & summerish

there s some neroli peeking out to but the sandalwood stays a but on the background on me & I m happy with that!

Edited by lunaticana

Mmm, candy! The neroli in Lorelei smells like fruity Spree or Smarties candies. The other notes keep it from being too cloying--it just smells fruity and fresh instead of overly sweet. I love this! Underrated.

i had to buy this imp because my name is Lorelei. :-P

i was so afraid of the ylang ylang and sandalwood. i had no idea what neroli smells like (still not sure, honestly). but i had to!!

and i love this scent. i wouldn't be able to tell you what this smells like, except sort of like black tea. and. wow. it is floral and feminine, but in a 20-something way, not in an old lady scent way and not frilly, either.

unfortunately it wears off after 30 minutes. i will try this more often with some unscented lotion underneath and see if that helps. i REALLY wanna get this as a 5ml one day, but the short wear time holds me back. :P

In the vial: Soft floral with a citrusy note. Not nearly as tangy as I expected from ylang ylang.

Wet: The floral shifts, becoming more pungent and warmer. I can smell the sandalwood ramping up. Pleasant, although it could tip over into headachy if it keeps on in this direction.

Twenty minutes: Soft neroli tempered with gentle sandalwood. I like this very much, and it would go great with a lacy romantic Pre-Raphaelite sensibility, but on me it seems kind of out of place. Unless something develops, it's not going to go anywhere amazing on me.

Five hours: I had company and couldn't check on this more frequently. But as I sat and chatted and knitted, I really enjoyed how pleasant I smelled. This is a soft, gentle floral on an even gentler warm base. It doesn't give me a headache like so many florals. It might well be the most romantic scent I have ever worn. It's not me, but I don't think I'll trade it away either. Some days, I could wear it and pretend it's me!

Fourteen hours: At bedtime I noticed I could still smell this one. It has stolen my heart, making me think pleasant thoughts of fragrant white flowers all day even though I had a pretty terrible day. I would never have chosen this one based on ingredients, since neroli has never worked on me before, but I'm really glad I tried it.

I wear this one when I want to feel soft, pretty, and serene.

This is a very pleasant, mellow floral that is nicely balanced by the neroli. It has a very slight bit of warmth to it. It has staying power, but I didn't detect all that much throw out of it. I feel it could possibly be a good 'crossover' scent for people who don't usually like florals, as the other notes keep it from getting too sweet or overpowering.

In the Bottle

I’m getting a heavy neroli vibe from this but it’s such a light smell reminds me of spring time.

On My Skin

Now the sandalwood and ylang ylang are coming through. This is a very happy, spring time scent to me which is funny because from the description I wouldn’t have thought that at all. It’s an orange/floral blend, not too bad actually.

After a Bit

This has turned into a seamless blend and while neroli is slightly dominant the other notes are discernable as well. This is a very clean scent that is perfect for spring time, wearing at work or a nice pick me up blend. I’m still suprised at how far off the description and the scent feeling are in my mind.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 3.5 Throw – 3 Longevity – 3

Over all – 3.3

Final Thoughts

I like this blend, but I’m not sure I like it enough to buy it. I’m still farily new to BPAL so I’m going to see if there’s somthing in this scent category I perfer before I purchase a bottle.

Loralei has a soft airiness that I likened to a very light floral with a hint of sweetness. I wanted to give it a good test so I wore it before I went on a run. I found it impressive that something so light and airy still had the same staying power before and after a sweatfest. :P However, the light floral was accompanied by a sort of rotting powdery note by the end of the day, ick. I don't think I like this scent very much. I like light scents, but I prefer them accompanied by clean herbal notes.

This one, oddly enough, is a sweet orangey blend. I have no idea why I thought this wouldn't work but it works beautifully. Very light and pretty. I see this as very appropriate for a young girl.

Or even a baby. It's a slightly sweet orangey floral blend.

in the imp: heavy aqua note, a touch of neroli in the back ground.

wet on skin: all water note, allll the time. :P

dry down: the water is joined by a bit of ozone- no sandal wood or neroli in site. :D

in all: as i'm not a personal fan of aqua OR ozone notes and the bad plastic smell they become on me, this is NOT a scent for me in particular. *however*, if you adore the Lab's water and/or ozone notes, stock up on this one, because you'll love it all day long.

:D

In vial Sweet Floral. Wet Clean floral with a lemony freshness. Super pretty I wish I hadn’t spilled it on myself though. Dry it is a very pretty floral that boarders on cloying though again that could be because I spilled it. It smells like the scent of a really fancy soap without the soapy scent.

GAH! This started out perfect! Mellow sandalwood with a hint of bite from the neroli. Wonderous stuff this. And then... ylang ylang. Unfortunately, it took over the blend for me, so that I couldn't smell my beloved sandalwood or neroli anymore. Boo. :P

Full disclosure, I have a bit of a head cold.

In the bottle this is sort of sharp and florally aquatic. Wet on my skin it is similar, less sharp and more floral.

Without the notes in front of me, I have to imagine this has some neroli in it? It smells very neroli-ish to me at this stage, I can take or leave neroli depending on the day and the blend, and in this it's sort of sweet and a bit powdery.

And then it disappears! Loraleiiii whyyy.

Smells a bit smoky on me with a bit of sweet florals.

Later any smoky smell dies down and I only smell a light, sweet floral. Not one of my favorites, but it is pretty nice.

Edited by Catseyes

Wet: Kind of indiscernible, almost watery in the vial.

First on: Sweet and spicy.

Dry: Already faded away. Disappointing.

Imp: Dusty ylang ylang.

Wet: The ylang ylang vanishes leaving me with a primarily sandalwood scent over dusty neroli. Neroli is always initially dusty on me so I'm not going to panic.

Dry: This has a fairly long drydown before it becomes something more than boring old regular sandalwood. The neroli peeks out and this becomes a soft and airy sandalwood/neroli blend. Very simple and easy to identify the notes but also not medicinal or aromatherapy-esque as some of the simpler blends can turn on my skin. Light and clean, a touch floral and overall just very pretty.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: Pretty. Will probably use up the imp for work purposes but not my favourite sandalwood or neroli (or ylang ylang for that matter) blend.

Seriously, I can't get a read on this scent. Zero throw!! Even huffing and puffing less than a centimeter next to my wrist isn't doing squat. That might be sweet neroli, but then again I can't be certain..

Unfortunately I can't even bring myself to try this on my skin. In the imp it's just sour to me, bad sour, like milk gone bad. Boo :(

This is super super weak and has no throw. What I can make out is watery, mildly orange and clean. I can barely smell it though, so there's no point. I would think a siren's song would have more throw and power.

Lots of ylang ylang which isn't a note I tend to get much of. Slightly chemical smelling and astringent. I would have said musky a few minutes ago, but that's gone now. Smelling more and more like floor cleaner by the minute, unfortunately :ack:

In the imp: The citrusy feel of the neroli is at the forefront

Wet: very sweet and juicy, the neroli definitely dominates, but there is some presence to the ylangylang as well. This blend is almost fruity. I can just barely detect the sandlewood beneath, but I don't expect it to stay that way, my body usually amps sandlewood in floral blends. Positively delicious.

Drydown: The neroli is definitely dominating this blend in it's fruity but floral way. It reminds me of one of bath and body-works type of blend, like in their lotions. It's pleasant.

Dry: Impressive, the sandlewood doesn't dominate, it's almost all neroli with a hint of ylang ylang.

Conclusion: A gentle, uplifting blend that is a tad generic. I am planning to mix this up into a sugarscrub for myself, or a bathbomb or something.

At first this is hard to capture any notes. It's almost clean and aquatic with a bit of a citrus kick.

On the dry down it gets more citrus smelling, and I can smell more of the ylang ylang. I dont smell the sandalwood at all, which is a shame because I love sandalwood.

This is defintely not for me, it's too light and clean. I tend to not like the citrus scents too much.