Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A tragic heroine from German lore. In despair over a faithless lover, she threw herself into the Rhine. In death, she has become a siren that haunts that river to this day, luring sailors to their doom. Neroli, sandalwood, ylang ylang.

This is tangy, sweet, and airy, but it soon starts to amp into cloyingly sweet. It also plays hide and seek - it's here, it's gone. It's the ghost of BPAL, haunting my wrist. Edited by Shollin

Loralei is gorgeous.

Wet: I get the sandalwood and neroli, I think.

On skin: I am assuming the ylang ylang will come out later on me. I am getting floral-y and lovely still.

Drydown: There had to be a catch, right? This did not last on me for more than 20 minutes for some reason. Even after re-applying it was gone without a trace quickly afterwords. I would buy a big bottle for sure if it had lasting potential.

This was a Lab frimp (I've been getting a lot of these lately as I can't seem to stop buying new bottles, oops).

In the imp:

Something sharp and floral.

Wet:

At first, whatever note I smelled when I sniffed the imp is completely dominant. I don't know how to describe it, but it's a floral that's almost aquatic. This fades down quite a bit after the first 5 minutes. Now I am smelling a woody note that seems to be threatening to go pencil shavings on me. I don't know what it is, because sandalwood doesn't do this on me (and doesn't even really smell woody to me), but so far it's only threatening.

Dry:

This dries down very light and sweet. The pencil-shavings note has disappeared and it's now that aquatic floral with just a touch of sandalwood. I would not have expected to like this scent upon sniffing it in the imp, but I might even need a bottle of it at some point.

In the imp: Something sharp and sour.

Wet on me: Given that Loralei contains neroli and ylang ylang, I would've expected it to be a lot stronger -- instead it's sandalwood with just a little bit of creamy flower. Not sharp at all anymore.

After five minutes: I can detect a tiny bit of citrus from the neroli, I think. Ylang ylang is not as strong or powdery as it usually is on me.

Drydown: Hard to pin down. There doesn't really seem to be a lot going on here -- ylang ylang is quite sweet, neroli is a little sharp, sandalwood is, as usual, slightly regrettable on my skin, but the whole composition is pretty faint.

Yay for my first ever review! Ill try my best, my sniffer isnt refined and doesnt function too well.

In the imp: sharp, hint of floral, a bit of spice

wet: same as the imp.

after 5 minutes: where did it go? :: adds more to her neck, wrists, and sticks some under her nose::

dry down: scent is faded. this is a really light scent. no matter how much i add it stays the same. I detect a bit of a fruity note to it, the floral has become almost an afterthought, like a walk on extra in a tv show. It is now creamy sweet, with some fruit and an undertone with a bit of a bite.

All in all its a very well balanced scent. nothing jumps out at you. Its like the perfect harmony of the scents combine into being its own thing. I am actually a fan of this scent, i just wish it were a bit stronger. Very good spring/summer scent!

Another freebie. Initially floral, the sandlewood starts to come out on contact with skin. Smells a bit like high end shampoo. not my thing, but not actually bad or anything. Meh.

In bottle: Ok floral not bad lets see it on

Wet: Floral in a kinda nice way, can really figure the notes out at this point

Drydown: Ooooh is that sandlewood I'm smelling oh goody.

Dry: The Neroli is out to play and the sandlewood is smoothing the Ylang-ylang sweetness and the neroli bite quite nice.

The throw on this is really good, I'm not sure about the stay yet. I like it. I'm thinking an imp will be it for me but it is pleasant.

Um, it's feminine and floral, and lightly cirtusy/aquatic.

I love ylang-ylang and neroli, but this blend isn't knocking me over. It's simple, and light, and yet it's somehow not....me....

It's fresh and bright. But, I don't know....

This is the most poorly-written review ever, I know. This scent is evoking a whole lot of "meh" in me, and I'm sad that I'm not liking it, but it's reminding me of something that I can't put a finger on and whatever it is I don't care for it. Bleh. :P

imp:ylang-ylang. i'm not a fan of ylang-ylang but we'll see how this one is on my skin.

wet: ylang-ylang and neroli. this smells just awful on me. i think 'disaster' might be the right word.

dry: thankfully, the ylang-ylang fades a bit and the neroli takes center stage but i don't think i could ever wear this scent again.

Frimp from lab.

Smells so nice in the bottle. On me, it smells nice and sweet. I can't really pick out any of the notes. Wish it was a bit stronger, but definetely a keeper.

in the imp: ouch - instant headache. i think its the neroli in combination with ylang ylang and sandalwood

not even going to try and put this on.

all i smell now is loralei...it's sad as i love ylang ylang and sandalwood.

hopefully, i can find someone to take it.

ETA: opened again a couple weeks later and yes, its still giving me a headache. i was hoping the scent would have mingled and changed, nope - still have to find this a new home.

Edited by djsiberia

imp: wood and some sort of sour floral

wet: a flash of a complex floral, and then straight-up acetone

dry: ylang-ylang is doing its solvent-sour thing on me :P

Swaaaaaps!

In imp: Sharp chemical smell. Reminds me of my father's laboratories when I visited as a kid. Of a specific chemical – a certain acid or alkali that I used in school – can't quite pin it down.

Wet: Same sharp chemical smell :D

Dry: Smell has all but disappeared, very very faint on my skin. Smells like the memory of a dead person, but not in a good way.

Verdict: I love all of the notes in this fragrance, but together they seem to do something seriously funky. I'm not sure if its my sense of smell or my body chemistry, but I'm so unhappy that they don't work for me.

Marks out of 10: 1 :P

This starts off a bit loud - no doubt because of the ylang ylang, but softens up into a very pretty sandalwood. It's feminine and slightly sweet because of the neroli. I like that this is simple and the ylang ylang is pretty tame on me :P

In the bottle – Sweet, slightly green, neroli

Wet on me – Slightly soapy, but still green, neroli

Dry on me – A kind of dry white musk

Overall – Given that I don’t like ylang-ylang and that I’m not keen on sandalwood as a main component of a blend, I was pleasantly surprised that neither made much of a showing. But on me the overall affect was a tiny bit bland

Not sure what happened to the scent in this little imp but there doesn't seem to be much of one.

Wet: Sandalwood and ylang ylang- smells fruity

Dry: Whisper soft, barely there.

Come back!

In bottle/imp: A refreshing slightly fruity floral with an undercurrent of deeper ylang ylang.

Immediately on skin: This is a light, refreshing fruity flowery scent with a nice subtle warmth running through it and a bit of complexity from the mix of the bright neroli and the deeper ylang ylang. It’s a very smooth scent and not overly sweet.

After a little while: This has gotten a little sharper, but has pretty much stayed the same otherwise. It’s fruity and slightly citrusy, but not really tart. The fruitiness in the neroli is just a very bright scent. The rest of the scent is a nice, smooth blend of sandalwood and ylang ylang. That part is deeper and warm with a slight creaminess and almost a very light smokiness.

Overall Impressions: This is a very bright scent with a nice balance of sweet and creamier notes; the neroli is sweet and fruity, but tamed down to a subtle, beautiful scent by the ylang ylang and sandalwood. It’s a bit flirty and sexual too, since sandalwood gives a nice warm skin type of feel. It’s very well blended and nicely balanced.

absolutely loving this scent. Imp I got from mary's newbie pack:

Imp: Floral and light. I catch the Neroli most

Wet on me: Neroli/Orange Blossom. Reminds me of

summer nights back in Miami

Drying Down:still neroli but sandalwood is coming

forward now.

Dry:Crisp sandalwood and orango/neroli. This would

smell awesome on a guy.

Throw:Gentle Stay:Wish it was longer.

Total Bottle worthy!

In the imp, I get the ylang ylang the most, with just a hint of neroli.

The sandalwood is the prominent note when it's on my skin, but it's very faint - hard to smell anything.

When it dries - wow - this is really well-balanced. I can definitely pick out the sandalwood, but having the one fruit, the one flower, and the one woodsy scent makes such an appealing blend and balanced. It's very subtle - very nice.

A light floral grounded with sandalwood. It is beautiful and sophisticated. Not too girly at all. I can actually smell water in it which is interesting.

I was hoping this would work for me as I love neroli and wanted something more alluring than Veil or Psyche. However it is not to be. Something in the blend, perhaps the sandalwood, goes all shrill and harsh on me.

It takes a while for the Neroli to settle down and let the other notes out but when it does the results are very gentle and surprisingly a bit melancholy despite the citrus which I usually associate with an upbeat vibe. The sandalwood is a mellow base like calm waters.

A beautiful scent but not overly evocative of its name to me. I would have expected something more watery and tempestuous.

I've been searching for a neroli scent for a while now. Ditto for sandalwood.

This doesn't smell overwhelmingly like either to my nose, but it's beautiful. It has the gorgeous sandalwood from Underpants anchoring down this spicy-floral scent that's just lovely together. I'm not sure I've found either my holy grail of neroli or sandalwood, but I HAVE found something really nice.