Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
kebechet

Preview of the June 1st Update

Ok guys, here goes. :P

I know I don’t need to say this, but please don’t order any of these scents til they’re officially live on the site. With all the weirdness and changes going on [and the fact that now we’re down to it just being Brian practically alone in the Lab at the moment] we can’t really get going on them til they’re properly set and ready. Thanks for understanding. =/

- - -

+ BEWITCHING BREWS

ARCANA

The essence of magickal enigmas and long-forgotten esoteric mysteries. Frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli, and verbena.

BLOOD LOTUS

Lush, velvet-red blooms born from the blood shed in the eternal battle between Set and Horus the Avenger. Inspired by Tammy Roth.

CATHODE

A negatively charged scent. Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

THE HESPERIDES

The Hesperides are the Nymphs of the Evening who dwell in a verdant garden located in the Arcadian Mountains, guarded by the terrible three-headed dragon, Ladon. Within their garden lives the tree that bears Hera’s sacred Golden Apples. Their perfume is that of sturdy oak bark, dew-kissed leaves, twilight mist and crisp apple.

INCANTATION

Though thy slumber may be deep,

Yet thy spirit shall not sleep;

There are shades which will not vanish,

There are thoughts thou canst not banish;

By a power to thee unknown,

Thou canst never be alone;

Thou art wrapt as with a shroud,

Thou art gather'd in a cloud;

And for ever shalt thou dwell

In the spirit of this spell.

A profound and entrancing potion. Deep, wispy, and unfathomably dark: vetiver, dark woods, crumbling and burnt black sandalwood and a drop of lemon rind.

KALI

Kali, the Black One, is the fearless Goddess of Destruction, Creation, Energy [in her Shakti aspect] and Dissolution. Also named Kaliratri [black Night] and Kalikamata [black Earth-Mother], she is the fiercest aspect of Devi, the supreme mother goddess. Kali is a protector Goddess, the destroyer of evil spirits and guardian of the faithful. She, along with her consort Shiva, represent the unending cycle of death and birth, sexual union, creation and destruction. Kali annihilates ignorance, maintains the natural order of the world, and blesses those who strive for spiritual awareness and knowledge of true holiness with infinite tenderness and motherly love. The constant, unending Work of Creation is called the "The Play of Kali". This perfume is a blend of the sacred blooms of cassia, hibiscus, musk rose, Himalayan wild tulip, lotus and osmanthus swirled with offertory dark chocolate, red wine, tobacco, balsam and honey.

MYSTERY

A swirl of shadowy incense smoke and the lingering perfume of cloaked strangers.

OUIJA

Lush parlor rooms draped in thick velvets and gilded in gold, unearthly whispering in the distance, fleeting flashes of wraithlike figures rushing just outside your vision, the chill of a phantom presence brushing by your cheek, the inscrutable knowledge that disembodied eyes are peering at you from darkened corners… this is the essence of Victorian-era spiritualism: rosewood, oak and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

PELE

Whimsical, temperamental, radiant and ravishingly beautiful Goddess of Volcanoes, Fire, Lightning and Dance. She is the Mother of Eruptions and the personification of destructive power. Volcanic eruptions are said to be a side-effect of her jealous rages and her epic quarrels with her siblings are legendary. This perfume embodies her gentler, benign aspect as the capricious Goddess of Dance: muguet and Hawaiian white ginger enveloped by warm, damp tropical blooms.

SCARECROW

An agricultural gargoyle. Though he is the Guardian of the Crops and Keeper of the Fields, his visage is still the stuff of nightmares. The scent of a hot wind blowing through desolate, scorched, barren fields.

TUSHNAMATAY

Pure internal harmony and spiritual bliss: the perfected meditation blend.

ULALUME

The skies they were ashen and sober;

The leaves they were crisped and sere -

The leaves they were withering and sere;

It was night in the lonesome October

Of my most immemorial year:

It was hard by the dim lake of Auber,

In the misty mid region of Weir -

It was down by the dank tarn of Auber,

In the ghoul-haunted woodland of Weir.

Starry white lilies lend an eerie brightness to the deep black wooded scents of cypress and oak, layered with a touch of crushed dried leaves and the faintest aquatic note.

WILDE

To stab my youth with desperate knives, to wear

This paltry age's gaudy livery,

To let each base hand filch my treasury,

To mesh my soul within a woman's hair,

And be mere Fortune's lackeyed groom,--I swear

I love it not! these things are less to me

Than the thin foam that frets upon the sea,

Less than the thistle-down of summer air

Which hath no seed: better to stand aloof

Far from these slanderous fools who mock my life

Knowing me not, better the lowliest roof

Fit for the meanest hind to sojourn in,

Than to go back to that hoarse cave of strife

Where my white soul first kissed the mouth of sin.

A sophisticated traditional gentleman’s cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli’s passion, tonka bean’s decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss’ cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme.

XIUHTECUHTLI

Patron of the Aztec pantheon, he is the personification of light within darkness, warmth in the cold, and life in, and after, death. He is a creative and destructive God of Fire and Light, and is appeased only by sacrifice, trial, and the slaughter of his people’s enemies. Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

+ FUNEREAL OILS

DANSE MACABRE

An allegorical expression of the ineffable, indisputable triumph of death, generally expressed in medieval artwork as a violin or flute-wielding skeleton leading a procession of dancers to their graves. Black cypress with oakmoss, frankincense, oude, and a sliver of toasted hazelnut.

MIDNIGHT

An ethereal bouquet of night-blooming flowers. Evening primrose, ruellia, flowering nicotiana, wild petunia, panani-o-kai, night phlox, night gladiolus, moonflower and the elusive scent of Nottingham Catchfly.

+ SIN & SALVATION: The Kindly Ones Sub-Series

ALECTO

Unceasing in Anger

Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

MEGAERA

The Unwilling, The Jealous One

Orris, black amber, bergamot, plum and grapefruit.

TISIPHONE

The Avenger of Murder

Oleander with black patchouli, ylang ylang, and neroli.

+ SIN & SALVATION

BLACK DAHLIA

Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

DISSIPATION

Strands of bacchanal ivy wind through sweet wormwood, pungent poppy, and a sliver of murky sassafras.

HELLFIRE

A scent celebrating Sir Francis Dashwood’s Order of the Knights of St. Francis of Wycombe, also known as the Hellfire Club. A swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and the lingering incense smoke from their Black Mass.

KOSTNICE

A celebration of the Bone Church of Prague. Frankincense, rosewood, lily, and geranium rose.

MAGDALENE

A stirring yet gentle perfume. The scent of love and devotion mingled with an undercurrent of heart-rending sorrow. A bouquet of white roses, labdanum, and wild orchid.

ROADHOUSE

Truck stop sleaze. Weedy dandelion and hops with a whiff of tobacco and hemp and a swirl of booziness.

+ LOVE POTIONS

AIZEN-MYOO

A bright, bittersweet scent honoring the Japanese Deity of Love and Passion. Aizen-Myoo is one of the vidyarajas, the Shingon’s Radiant Kings of Wisdom. Though Aizen-Myoo possesses the lust, grace and passion of both genders, he most often appears to his followers as male. His face is screwed into a fearsome demonic mask, but this is only the wrathful, fierce countenance he places over himself to guide and empower his children. Aizen-Myoo is the patron of prostitutes, of joyous, unbridled sexuality and of all forms of erotic love and is worshipped by all those in the sex industry, musicians, and – oddly – landlords. Yuzu, kaki, and mikan with cherry blossom and black tea.

DESIRE

The overwhelming agony of passion crystallized into a singularly dark and magnetic blend: bittersweet neroli, black patchouli and black musk, gilded by apple, bergamot, blood red rose, teak, and vanilla.

QUEEN OF SHEBA

A woman of exquisite, unearthly beauty, profound intelligence, wit, and exceeding wealth, the Queen of Sheba – called Bilquis by the Muslims and Makeda by the ancient Abysinnians – traveled by caravan to Solomon’s realm seeking proof of the king’s reputed wisdom. Bearing gifts of exotic spices, a veritable mountain of gold, hearty camels and precious stones, she presented herself to the king and, bearing her heart to him, asked him a series of challenging questions, and was ultimately convinced of the truth of his wisdom, knowledge and judiciousness. In the end, the great king and queen conquered each other’s hearts and fell breathlessly in love: the perfect marriage of equals. Her scent is a bounty of golden honeyed almonds and a whisper of African and Middle Eastern spices.

SEVERIN

Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, the Father of Masochism and sexual surrender, had planned on writing six volumes of erotic literature entitled The Heritage of Cain. Only the first two volumes were completed, the more famous of the two being the notorious Venus in Furs. This novel tells the tale of a man, Severin, that enters into a relationship of slavery and increasingly debauched degradation with his mistress, Wanda. Dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

WANDA

“And yet a restless, always unsatisfied craving for the nudity of paganism," she interrupted, "but that love, which is the highest joy, which is divine simplicity itself, is not for you moderns, you children of reflection. It works only evil in you. As soon as you wish to be natural, you become common. To you nature seems something hostile; you have made devils out of the smiling gods of Greece, and out of me a demon. You can only exorcise and curse me, or slay yourselves in bacchantic madness before my altar. And if ever one of you has had the courage to kiss my red mouth, he makes a barefoot pilgrimage to Rome in penitential robes and expects flowers to grow from his withered staff, while under my feet roses, violets, and myrtles spring up every hour, but their fragrance does not agree with you. Stay among your northern fogs and Christian incense; let us pagans remain under the debris, beneath the lava; do not disinter us. Pompeii was not built for you, nor our villas, our baths, our temples. You do not require gods. We are chilled in your world."

Along with Loviatar, she has become something of a 21st century Patron Goddess of all Dominatrixes. While Loviatar is the Goddess of Pain, Wanda govens Control. She is the breathtakingly beautiful sable-wrapped marble queen of Sacher-Masoch’s fantasies. Her scent is a deep red merlot with a faint hint of leather, sexual musk and body heat over crushed roses, violets and myrtle.

+ DIABOLUS

DJINN

An ancient, free-willed race created from the essence of Fire, much as man was created from Earth. They prowled the land at night, vanishing with the first rays of dawn. Myths surrounding the Djinn paint them as many things: benevolent champions of mankind and slaves to mad sorcerers, malicious incubi / succubi and energy vampires, or malevolent harbingers of madness and disease. The Djinn are ruled by Iblis, the Prince of Darkness, who bears unspeakable contempt for man. The scent of black smoke, of crackling flames, and smoldering ashes.

MASABAKES

Masabakes is a Cantabrian demoness that governs lustfulness and lechery. In order to tempt virgins to corruption she employs the aid of her lackey, the imp Tentirujo. Under the cover of magickal invisibility, the imp caresses maidens with mandrake root, instilling uncontrollable passion and wantonness in the unsuspecting girls. Thick black currant with the darkest, deepest myrrh, a drop of bitter mimosa and the slightest touch of mandrake dust.

NEPHILIM

Dark children conceived from the union of Fallen Angels and the Daughters of Men. According to lore, the angel Shemhazai led a group of his angels to earth to instruct mankind in the ways of piety and righteousness. After a time, the angels became prey to earthly desires and began to lust after the daughters of man, and thus they fell. They instructed their mortal mates in the arts of conjuration, summoning, necromancy and other magickal arts. The fruits of their union are the Nephilim: possessed of superhuman strength, cunning, and infinite capacity, and hunger for, sin. Venerated as heroes by some, vilified by most, the Nephilim eventually annihilated one another in a cataclysmic civil war instigated by the angel Gabriel as punishment for their transgressions. Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

SZEPASSZONY

The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. She revels in storms, particularly when hail rains down on her. Water dripping down eaves into a puddle is an invitation for her to cause mischief: she uses the puddle as a magickal tool for casting her wicked spells. It is considered foolhardy to step into a circle of short grass ringed by taller grasses, as those mark the circles where the Fair Lady dances. A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

+ ILLYRIA

QUEEN GERTRUDE

Imperial violet softened by wisteria and chrysanthemum, but edged with the regal iciness of delphinium.

REGAN

A deceptively sweet orchid vanille with a faint trace of stephanotis.

TITIANA

A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon.

+ WANDERLUST, formerly Venerable Cities

DANUBE

Rhododendron and bellflower petals swirl through deep, cool, dark aquatic notes.

OLD AMSTERDAM

Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

+ MAD TEA PARTY

Still working on the descriptions.

+ LIMITED EDITION

JUNE GLOOM

Ted’s gloriously dismal creation. As a lover of rainy days, grey skies and chill air, summer is his antithesis. A spell of June Gloom is always welcome in our household. A bouquet of bright summer flowers dampened by the scent of morning mist and rain.

- - -

So not to confuse matters, I’ll refrain from listing the scents that are coming up in the Solstice update.

Hooray! But poor Brian, you guys are gonna be slammed with orders.

Edited by minilux

I'm going through a major episode of May/June gloom right now. We've had so much rain in recent weeks, thunderstorms again today. At least everything will be lush & green.

I know what Ted's talking about, though. Once it gets hot, rainy days are my happiest summer days.

Edited by minilux

*smiles* You've outdone yourself again Beth :D You're going to be very busy for a while :P

In case anyone else is curious about that ingredient of Midnight, I've been doing a bit of research on Nottingham Catchfly...

From here.

"Nottingham Catchfly, Night-flowering Catchfly, and White Campion

These are all members of the genus Silene, which also has several day-blooming members. These plants have sticky stems, hence the name 'catchfly'. The odor of the Nottingham catchfly is described as sweet and reminiscent of hyacinths, and its flowers open on three successive nights before withering."

Looks like this:

Catchfly.jpg

Oh wow!!

:D

Off to rob a bank...... :D

Can I be your getaway driver?

There's at least 14 Must Haves there...... and that's just the preview!! :P :D

I'm looking forward to so many of these. I'm psyched to see another scent with orchid (Magdalene), SZEPASSZONY sounds amazing, and June Gloom....I'm finally excited by a June Gloom.

CAN"T WAIT!

A question for Beth...

Are these new scents going to be limited edition or a permanent part of the Black Phoenix collection?

This will let me figure out how to pace myself and which ones to try first.

Thanks Beth.  Good luck with the update.

From the list, I think just June Gloom is the limited edition... but hopefully Beth will jump in if I'm wrong!

So, we will be able to officially purchase these on Tuesday, is that right? Because I don't want to order too soon, but Beth said they're coming out June 1st. This is kind of a stupid question.

I wanted to add that I also like the name change to Wanderlust. I just realized the other day, I mean, I knew this, but I hadn't thought about it that Morocco is a country and not a city.

Well, I guess one of the few benefits to being unemployed is that I *can't* jump the gun and order any of these AMAZING potions right now... but Queen of Sheba sounds like something that I will be falling in love with at first sniff, and I am pissing myself over the description of Roadhouse. Brilliant stuff there.

I hear you, Twisty.

Queen of Sheba is on the top of my wish list spread sheet with big red letters "Order Large Bottle".

I'm moist with anticipation.

ooooh.... giddy with anticipation time! :P Some of these look really amazingly incredible, namely, Queen of Sheba, Djinn, Nephilim, Kali, Scarecrow... all of them? Well, 19 added right to my wishlist, anyway. & moonflower notes! (I've had moonflowers growing in my garden since I was a little girl)

whee, thank you thank you thank you! :D

Edited by upsidedown

Omigosh these sound good. :P

I am lusting after Desire

Wilde

Queen of Sheba

Regan

June Gloom

AIZEN-MYOO (patron of musicians--A must)

Midnight

Arcana

Oh! I want...I need...

Boots

Love the name change to wanderlust too

Okay, so my list of Must Haves is, like, 33. (Almost all the new scents really. I have to roll my eyes at myself :P .)

Queen of Sheba is at the top of my list as well :D . I will also have to get Magdalene, because I have this weird Mary Magdalene fetish.

It sounds like we'll also be getting a Midsummer update later on this summer?!! Too good to be true!

My bank account is ready and waiting to be abused!!!! :P

*Drooling over Danse Macabre, Titiana, Pele, Old Amsterdam, Kali and June Gloom*

MUST... have... Magdalene!!!

Wooo!!!

-Leslie

Edited by MissAnthropy

Several with black amber...my favorite! :P

Roadhouse sounds intriguing....

Thanks for giving us a preview.

Velvet