Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
beetiger

BPAL scents appropriate for very young children?

I have two boys ages 2 and 3. My very favorite smell for them is Hollywood Babylon in their hair. My 3 year old used to wear Jack on one wrist and Dragon's Eye on the other (before he lost both imps!). I tried The Lion on them and it was good, but seemed just a bit too mature (we're talking about toddlers after all). High John the Conqueror wasn't too bad either.

I have two 3 year old nieces and I gave one of them an imp of Forbidden Fruit and the other an imp of Queen of Hearts. Light, fruity, girly...

edited for spelling issues

WHEW!!!!

That's me sighing a HUGE sigh of relief that I am not the only momma/aunt out there spreading a little BPAL joy amongst the younger set.

My pre-schooler, 2 yrs. 7 mos. LOVES to smell my BPAL ("me too, me too, me too") and loves to be dabbed here and there with some of "Momma's smell". I love the way Dana O'Shee smells on her, and I've also shared some of my Honey Moon with her....though I make her say "please" for that one..... :D She loves to have her Dad sniff her wrist, and she'll tell him "Delia smells good, TOO".

Surprisingly, Gluttony (which smelled like greasy nastiness on me) makes her smell like a yummy treat. Go figure. And White Rabbit is nice on us, too. I haven't had any problems with her skin, so far, but I do use the tiniest dabs, and also stick with some of the lighter frangrances, and I tend to avoid my beloved cinnamon-y scents, so far, on the theory that they might be irritating to her.

With my 13-year-old niece, of course anything I give her is great......as opposed to anything her mom might give her these days. :D Part of the territory, I guess. I save my imps that are too "non-descript-floral" or "weird-fruit" on me, and have been surprised that many of these are very very nice (and appropriate smelling) on her. Not "too old" in other words.

I'm making some body scrub for the niece and nephew (9 yrs. old) with VICE for stocking stuffers, but I think I'll omit telling them the name of the scent for fear that my sister and her husband with freak out.....

Glad to find out I'm not the only one enabling the young un's. :P

My son is 9, and loves Candy Butcher, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, Antique Lace. and all of the Monster Baits, the Great Sword of War, and Mme. Moriarty. Do I deserve a Trick because I enabled a 9-year-old, or do I deserve a Treat? :P

Has anyone found that scents that hate you love your kids? I put some Queen of Sheba on my son the other day, and at first it smelled like saffron (which is ALL it smells like on me) and then it turned gorgeous. Same thing happened with others that I can't wear--they all behave on him. Now if only I could get my husband to participate in the testing...

Carnal, absolutely - except for the name.

It's a light sparkly fizzy candy-like orange on me that I think would be great for little girls. Maybe decant it into a roller bottle and don't tell them what it's called :P.

My son is 9, and loves Candy Butcher, Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, Antique Lace. and all of the Monster Baits, the Great Sword of War, and Mme. Moriarty. Do I deserve a Trick because I enabled a 9-year-old, or do I deserve a Treat? :P

Has anyone found that scents that hate you love your kids? I put some Queen of Sheba on my son the other day, and at first it smelled like saffron (which is ALL it smells like on me) and then it turned gorgeous. Same thing happened with others that I can't wear--they all behave on him. Now if only I could get my husband to participate in the testing...

Just about anything with vanilla or sweet goes bad on me, so most of what my kids have are my castoffs - alice, black pearl, black opal, titania, tombstone, white rabbit, the unicorn, tiger lily, and roadhouse (all dandelion, no booze on both of my kids). Emma has taken my imps of Amsterdam and Black Forest, that is all of the crossover we've had (although I admit I have never let her whole-hog into my smellies, there may be more she likes in florals), Colin is happy to have what Emma turns her nose up at and anything foody (gingerbread poppet decant migrated into his little box).

Edited by Juniperus Intrepidus

My son is about 2 1/2 and has been BPAL trained for a while to sniff me appreciatively. He doesn't have any particular preference that I can tell for what scents he wears, but I found out recently that Haloa smells just perfect in his hair! I usually stick with Alice, Regan, Dorian, and Sudha Segara for him- but I got a bottle of Haloa pretty much just for his use.

Faerygirl (9) is as rabid about the preciouss as I am! She has her own Faery collection. She also loves woodsy scents. Her top ten are:

1. Hamadryad

2. Black Forest

3. Loviatar

4. Robin Goodfellow

5. Leanan Sidhe

6. Thanatopsis

7. Crow Moon

8. Cancer 2007

9. Oberon

10. Titania

And she's eager to enable her best friend! Also, she reviews scents along with me. Most of my reviews have a Faerygirl section at the end.

What a cute thread, it's almost making me wish my boyfriend and I had a kid! (Bad forum!)

I think something minty like Tokyo Stomp would be a good choice. Also, I'm wearing the amazing Whitechapel today and despite the fact that it's supposed to represent hidden corruption and malevolence, I think it would smell very nice and innocent on a little boy.

Do avoid anything with cassia or cinnamon for your kids, though (unless you want to introduce them to scent lockets!). Many cinnamon-containing oils irritate my skin, so I imagine they'd be much worse on a child's skin. Bengal and Silk Road are the most irritating on me, Gingerbread Poppet and Bakeneko were okay.

Edited by ClareN

Wow, so many good smelling wee ones out there! :P

My daughter (who is not quite 5) is just in love with BPAL as well... She tracks the mailmans every move (MOOOOMMMM- The MAILMAN is here- He just picked up our MAIL- he's leaving a package!!! He's walking away Moooommmm..... Are you getting the mail or not?!?!)

She then proceeds to follow me into the office and give me her impression of whatever I slather on that day. Usually it is quite favorable, but she has wrinkled her nose at a few. She has her own little vial of Velvet (one of her absolute favorites) that she proudly carries with her everywhere in a little purse along with her coveted organic chocolate lip balm...

She really likes the April '07 13 and Tokyo Stomp as well (she asks for the 'chocolate' perfume often), though Velvet just smells like heaven on her, so that is the one she keeps with her.

And I must say, all I have to do to discipline usually is threaten to remove the BPAL from her possession (seriously, she cleans her own room to keep this stuff!).... I guess it would probably work for me though too! :D

My 3 year old little guy really likes some of the chocolate scents (no big surprise - he's got the biggest sweet tooth ever!), particularly the Candy Butcher & Velvet, though strangely he turned his nose up at Bliss.

I haven't checked to see if he still likes Samhain after he poured 3/4 of the bottle on himself - mostly because I don't want to share the super-precious until I get some more & I'm a little paranoid. He seems to have pretty broad tastes - yesterday he chose Fairy Market for himself :P

No scent gender-stereotyping here! Hopefully he won't outgrow his open-mindedness, though I suspect he'll start to care more what other people think as he gets older. I doubt I'll ever have to try to steer him away from nasty cheap cologne as a teen at least! Educate them young!!

Edited by alterosen

I had a few imps in my purse the last time I visited family, and strangely, my four-year-old cousin turned up her nose at Fae, but adored the Peacock Queen. Go figure. :P

Still, I'm nth-ing the Alice, I'll bring it over next time just to have fun.

My 4-year old son loves MB: Tokyo Stomp. Today he picked out Wulric the Wolfman, and it smelled great on him. He really appreciated the label art too. :P

The other day my three year old came to watch me try on scents and sniffed her wrist mimicking me smelling Shadwell. I figured Shadwell's mellow enough for her. So I put a bit on her neck (I didn't want her to try to lick it off or something :P ), then she ran away giggling up a storm..........I think she liked it.

Edited by fatalbellydance

I may be putting imp packs together for a couple of nieces, and I've taken note of the earlier recommendations in this thread, but I just wanted to ask whether anyone has any recs for pre-teen-appropriate scents from among the newer GCs (or easier-to-find LEs). Hermia, for example, sounds great, but what about Helena? And would any of the new flowers in Rappaccini's Garden be suitable? (Do I need to watch out for inappropriate double entendres in any of the names? *g*)

And a more specific question: out of all the nautical/pirate/sailing-themed scents available, which strikes you as most wearable by a preteen girl?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My daughter's five, and some days she can't seem to decide whether it's more fun to tease me about my BPAL habits, or ask for some for herself. Some days it's both. :D

Her favorites are:

Enraged Bunny Musk (This is my favorite to smell on her - it's just so perfect for a small child.)

Bliss

Queen of Hearts

Blue Moon '07

Minotaur (This surprised me, but it may be her favorite. She'd have used half my bottle by now if I'd let her.)

She's just tried Beaver Moon '07 and loves it and is looking forward to smelling like a candy cane. :P

My LO ends up smelling like me most days - he'll snuggle up in the morning, and later in the day I'll realize that it's not just me that smells so good :D He's run the gamut from Mme Moriarty to Pirate Moon to Shub this week, but Dorian was the surprise winner - on him it's all lemony sugar cookies :P

ETA: Styro, maybe Calico Jack would work for your girls? It has a good bit of rum, so is sweeter than some of the other piratical scents, IMO. I'd say Anne Bonny, but it's way ballsy, maybe a little assertive for what you're looking for... I bet Goblin would smell nice on a younger girl - patchouli, yes, but the coconut sweetens it out of dirty-hippy range...

Edited by tartchef

My son Ganon is a REALLY little guy (he'll be 15 months old this month), but if I were going to put something on him, it would almost have to be Villain. :P Those of you who recognize that his name came from Legend of Zelda will know why. I am possibly evil for naming my child after a villainous overlord, but it's a pretty name!

I know that the 4 year old nephew of my best friend & fellow addict likes the chocolate-based scents a lot.

Cutest topic EV4R. :P

*waves to HG*

My nephew is 6 and he has his BPAL l0ffs, too.

1. Tokyo Stomp - "Godzilla smells like cookies."

2. Jailbait

3. Chaos Theory DCLIX - "Smells like grass and baseball!"

4. Bengal

5. Bloody Mary

He has other favorites, but those are the top 5. At least they were this weekend.

I have a blue, Chinese silk imp case that I keep my favorites in for easy access on the go. He loves that thing. "Can this be mine for just today? I will be sooooo careful!" So I found him a similar case in red Chinese silk and we put some of his favorites in it. Thinking I had secured my to-go case again, I handed him his case. He grasped them both to his chest and looked up with rapture in his big, blue eyes: "Now I have TWO cases!"

*headdesk*

What a great thread! My 8 year old niece likes BPAL. She really likes Thunder Moon. It's so funny--my sister and I are completely different, and her child is a mix of me and our other sister. (The stubbornness, collecting rocks on the beach, etc.)

My sister just rolls her eyes when I let Kelsi sniff stuff, little does she know that I am going to enable her for Christmas--this thread has given me some great ideas!

I'll have her a full-blown addict before she's ten. :P

Once the baby gets a little bigger, I'll introduce her too. I almost feel badly for my sister, because the family calls the baby "Katie-Amy" because she is just like I was as a child. And, no, it isn't meant in a good way. What do they know? I wasn't a brat, I was just spirited.

My ten-year-old (I can almost hear her now, whining- mom, I'm a PRE-TEEN!) has been picking on me since I picked up the BPAL habit. Then the other day I received my Beaver Moon, and all of a sudden she abruptly changed her tone.... Now its, "what are YOU wearing today, and what in your box can I wear today too?" She wore my Sugar Skull today. She's very much into current girly things- clothes and boys and gossip and talking on the phone....

Then my second-oldest daughter (nine) came up behind her, VERY curious as to what we were getting into. She turned her nose up at the Sugar Skull but went crazy for the Pumpin V. She's me torn jeans, video-games, rough and tumble girl, so that doesn't surprise me much!

Which of course brought my five-year-old daughter running. Where her two sisters congregate she inevitably appears. She couldn't decide which sister she wanted to copy more (she refused to pick her own scent) and so wore Sugar Skull on one wrist and Pumpkin V on the other. THANK HEAVEN that they seemed to do ok on her (didn't clash).

Needless to say, with my Creepy and their scents, my van was VERY yummy smelling on the way to school today........

Okay, now the almost-two year old asks for "lotion" to dab on his wrists almost every night. He is fascinated by imp bottles. He doesn't have any preferences of his own yet, but we use lavender based scents in the evening to get him to settle down. The Faerygirl has a present from our Switch Witch called Munchkin that smells like candy. She puts it on her baby brother and herself, and it smells like they've gone trick-or-treating early. :P

I decided to actually make lotion from some of my imps the other day for my niece- who LOVES Beaver Moon. I think I'll do the same for my girls. Easier for them to apply... And stretches the impies waaaaay out! Also it helps them not slather on TOO much to be at school all day!

My 7-year-old boy likes to sniff, some, but won't wear them. He does get excited about bath bombs and soap, though. I think, maybe that doesn't seem as girly. My daughter (5) has her own BPAL box (an old purse of my grandmother's) and her own stash, which I apply for her at bed time or if we go out for special occasions. She gets just as excited as I do when i get a new package of smellies.

I like the lotion idea -- I also will add a drop or two to a bath if the kid in question is into it. My daughter likes the rose -scents -- ones I consider sort of "pink" smelling, actually. She isn't as fond of my favorites: Mme. Moriarty, Elegba and Samhain 2007 as I am (good thing), but we both love Bliss and Velvet.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Beth came out with a li'l imps line just for the shortlings?

Wouldn't it be awesome if Beth came out with a li'l imps line just for the shortlings?

That's be so awesome!!!

Added: Except that then I'd probably have to "steal" from THEIR scents too!!!

Edited by AleciaR