Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
beetiger

BPAL scents appropriate for very young children?

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and great stories!

ETA: Styro, maybe Calico Jack would work for your girls? It has a good bit of rum, so is sweeter than some of the other piratical scents, IMO.

It's a bit of a conundrum, because--while there is a sailing connection that I'd like to draw on for her--she's also very much a girly-girl, and in my experience a lot of the pirate scents are either bold and woody or slightly masculine-cologne-ish. (Also, since I don't want to be forever known as The Bad Aunt, I need to avoid the ones with things like "harlot's perfume" in the description. *g*) I haven't tried Calico Jack yet: I'll definitely look into that one--thanks!

I found The Phoenix very feminine and lovely, rather genteel for a pirate perfume! It's still got salty sea air, but it's like a pretty afternoon at the docks. Not blood and rutting sensuality.

I wore the Apothecary at my sister's house over the holidays and I was greeted with cries of "Aunt Ginspu, you smell Goooood!" from my six-year-old and three-year-old nieces. So I dabbed a tiny bit on their wrists with the wand, and all afternoon, they kept smelling their wrists and having others smell them. "We smell good too!"

I so want to get them an imp each, but I fear their mommy won't let them. :P

(Also, since I don't want to be forever known as The Bad Aunt, I need to avoid the ones with things like "harlot's perfume" in the description. *g*)

I have the same problem, but as Bad Mommy. My 11-year-old loves my Bordello, which I will not let her wear to school.

Edited by Czarina

I heart this thread!

My 4-year-old loves to try on perfume with me -- but she wants the "kid perfumes" instead of the grownup ones.

After I put some on her (I don't have anything that I love on her just yet, but have some ideas from reading this thread) she'll wait awhile and then ask me, "is it dry yet? do you want to smell it?"

And THEN, her 18-mo-old brother will come charging up and insist that I sniff his wrist too, even though he's not actually wearing any oils. So much fun!

Will definitely try the Velvet on her, and I'm thinking Tweedledum as well (we are reading Alice).

Best,

Tzi

I got my 11-year-old brother a bunch of crazy concept BPAL scents and the ones he liked best were Bliss, Grog, and Brimstone. I think I'm going to have to buy him a bottle of Bliss sometime, maybe for his birthday, because it sure is awesome, and it sure does last for a day and a half. (Which is a GOOD thing. Kids are stinky! I know, I was too!) Although Brimstone is a nice campfirey smell, for when you don't want to be a chocolate bar, and he likes that a lot too.

Bumping the little ones thread.

The Mouse's Long and Sad Tale is sweet on my two girls, and the bigger one loves the Pumpkin scents. Too much it would seem as she actually used/spilt a fifth of a bottle of Pumpkin 5 this morning...while I was asleep...

My 4 year-son likes Snow White, and I love it on him... he's really into fairy tale "princesses" right now, so SW suits this phase.

Sugar Cookie is a big hit wth my 8 year old son.

7 year old likes Yemaya.

Oh, and Tokyo Stomp and Bliss are big hits, too... as are most sweet-foody scents. Sweet/bakery/foody/fruity is my personal preference, and my children all seem to have gotten their olfactory genes from me.

I gave my 10 year old cousin a couple of imps for fun. Tweedledee (which turned into weird orange on me - damn you kumquat) was a very fun fruity pebbles on her. And as bad as it sounds, I gave her Jezebel (soap on me) was a wonderful honey rose on her.

I'm trying to think of what else would work...

Velvet Unicorn, because who doesn't want to smell like cake and candy?

Alice, spicy and creamy yet innocent.

My 3-year-old knows I always smell like something :lol: I had just put on The Tree of Knowledge the other day, and he came scampering across the living room to snorfle my neck... "Mama, what's THAT one?!" I told him the name, and asked him what he thought of it. "It smells like... like... something I want to eat!"

:rofl: Oh child.

He's getting more & more interested in the smell of things in general, and was very pleased with himself when I let him pick out a new bar of soap at market - he chose cranberry-pear, and it's delicious :yum:

My favorite on him, though, is anything with frankincense or amber - when he's cuddled in and a bit of my perfume has rubbed off on his hair, and then he comes back for a hug later in the day, and the top of his head smells all warm & soft, almost like sun-warmed hay... :wub:

When I was a wee fairy ( :lol: ), I would have been over the moon for any of the Marchen scents--fairytales! princesses! I would lost my mind over Belle Vinu and Rapunzel, especially. Also Mad Tea scents like The Unicorn and Alice, and the wonderful new Garden of Living Flowers. And probably anything fairy-related (Titania, Fae, Fairy Market, etc. etc.) or from Stardust, since it's such a romantic story. :princess:

Is it bad that, since I won't be having kids, I kind of hope my sister will so I can enable nephews and nieces?? :blush:

ETA: Oh, and for a girl's pirate scent I would suggest Kill-Devil: "Rum punch... Sugar cane, molasses, oak wood, and honey" and Mary Read: "Salt air, ocean mist, aged patchouli, sarsaparilla, watered-down rum, leather-tinged musk, and a spray of gunpowder."

Edited by Laurel the Woodfairy

My almost-8-year-old daughter's favorites are Alice, Strawberry Moon and Pink Phoenix. I have a son, too, who's nearly 7, and after bathtime, before they go to bed, they like if I dab a bit of fragrance on them. I confess I sometimes put a little Somnus on them to help them calm down and go to sleep! :lol:

My daughter is 5 and loves anything sweet or candylike -- Fruitcake made me gag, so of course she was all over it, and in short order it was all over her as she spilled it on herself, and then the whole house smelt of it for days ... augh ...

She really likes La Belle Au Bois Dormant, too. I think mainly she enjoys scents she can identify: "flowers! candy! cake!".

My son is 10 and amiable to having various oils swiped on him to try out. He usually wanders over to see what's up when I open a package and likes to give new things a sniff.

Edited by odalisque

My kids like to wear:

Candy Phoenix

Swank

Anything chocolate-y or fruity

And Jailbait (which is just wrong and I can't quite let them wear it)

My youngest (20 months) loves to sniff anything I'm wearing. Whenever I'm wearing my locket, the first thing she does is sniff it and say "mmmm''. But now if my mom, sister, etc holds her, she reaches for their necklace, sniffs it, then looks at them like "Hey, what's up with this? It's broken, no smelly". :lol:

She also walks around and holds her arm out for people to sniff it. :lol:

My brother (12 y.o.) really liked High John the Conqueror and Hi'iaka on himself...

I'm trying not to get worried over his love for girly florals and cherry body butters... :blush:

My brother (12 y.o.) really liked High John the Conqueror and Hi'iaka on himself...

I'm trying not to get worried over his love for girly florals and cherry body butters... :blush:

Hey, don't worry! My friend's husband wears Midnight (and loves Haloes) - she wears Fenris Wolf :lol:

Is Hi'Iaka nice? I meant to order an imp this last order and forgot.

Hey, don't worry! My friend's husband wears Midnight (and loves Haloes) - she wears Fenris Wolf :lol:

Is Hi'Iaka nice? I meant to order an imp this last order and forgot.

Well, to be truthfull, I found it overly sweet... (had secretly hoped for a tropical jugnle scent)... but it's more like a tropical bouquet scent. I found it rather fake, since for me, jungle means greenery and flowers, not just pure flowers... but if you like sweet tropical florals, you'll probably like it.

As for my worries... it's just, he has some strange behaviour lately... in comparison with his friends...

Even I was more manly at his age...)

I don't mean to say I will be sad or disapointed, if he turns out gay, everyone is allowed to love whoever he wants... but, I can't say my familly is as accepting as I am...

As for my worries... it's just, he has some strange behaviour lately... in comparison with his friends...

I don't mean to say I will be sad or disapointed, if he turns out gay, everyone is allowed to love whoever he wants... but, I can't say my familly is as accepting as I am...

I'd personally be glad if a preteen was taking an interest in hygiene! Most think if they showered this week, they are fine.

Edited by BAJ

I'd personally be glad if a preteen was taking an interest in hygiene! Most think if they showered this week, they are fine.

I see what you mean... not so far from my preteen years to have forgoten (dispite being a girl)...

But I don't know... it's... kind of weird looking... besides, since they have the same shoe size as my mother, lately, I've noticed them exchanging shoes with him... she's a rather protective divorcee, so I can't really tell her that it's probably not the best way of action with a boy who hardly has any male role model at all...

But we're really going off topic here.. I've noticed him liking White Rabbit too... and truth be told, it smells rather good on him, and rather iffy on me(...

On him it's soft milk and ginger, with a background of sweet vanilla...

On me it's white flowers and sugar sirop... ugh!

Ok I didn't apply it on purpose - but I swear my baby girl's head smelled like Snow White yesterday! It was actually hard to tell it apart from her own scent, but I couldn't stop sniffing her, so I had to really sit down and figure it out... I had a friend come over to visit and she was definitely wearing Snow White =)

Tessa is very sniffable :wub2:

Ok I didn't apply it on purpose - but I swear my baby girl's head smelled like Snow White yesterday! It was actually hard to tell it apart from her own scent, but I couldn't stop sniffing her, so I had to really sit down and figure it out... I had a friend come over to visit and she was definitely wearing Snow White =)

Tessa is very sniffable :wub2:

Awww I can see Snow White as being a great beh beh scent ^_^

Another recommendation for a child (not a baby but maybe 7-14 years old) would be Jester. I always thought it was a fun, fruity scent :)

so theres this little bear on the swing that you are supposed to scent with something calming -- I'm now thinking about scenting it with Snow White, or maybe TKO -- should i consider something else? Shes 2 months old right now ;)

If it were me, I'd sleep with it between my boobs for a night (if that is possible - I don't know if this thing removes) and forgo the perfume for now.

Mama is the best smell to babies.