Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

You know those thick, fat ginger cookies that are moist and soft and crumbly and just the slightest bit chewy? With a sprinking of sugar on top? Well, that's exactly what this smells like to me. It is pure decadence, in scent form.

This is a strong scent that stays true on my skin. After about 2 hours it fades off into a dusty sugar scent, then is gone.

Lovely!

This is for 2004 version.

Wow. This smells just like freshly baked gingerbread cookies still warm from the oven. The scent doesn't morph at all, and stays the same in the bottle, wet and dry. It also lasts a good while -- 4 hours at least. Incredibly delicious.

2005 version

Bottle: Sugary gingerbread dough, with a slight threat of plastic sugar.

Wet: Mmmm. Gingerbread with light spices. I want to gnaw my hand off. Someone mentioned snickerdoodles. Snickerdoodles indeed; I love snickerdoodles. Yum!

Drydown: Either the nutmeg or the clove is peaking --it's a sharp scent punctuating the fresh-baked divinity that is gingerbread. Reminds me more of apple cider, like some idiot grabbed my delicious, chewy slab of gingerbread and dunked it remorselessly in mulled cider. Now, while I love them both equally, they're not meant to go together, IMHO.

Dry: Well, whatever spice it is has faded a bit. Sadly, the plastic quality has bumped up proportionally, and the overall scent is muted gingerbread-scented plastic toy. *sigh*

My rating: 4/5. There was a reason I loved scented toys when I was little, and the deliciousness of the wet stage of Gingerbread Poppet rounds up the rest.

I had typed a whole review, but the Internet ate it. Anyway, this scent stayed true to its original in-the-bottle scent on me: warm, yummy, gingerbread. I hope I don't accidentally nibble my wrist. ;-)

Yes, it sure is! Because it's spices, it doesn't seem foody. Really beautiful. I'll keep it. :-)

Oh man, oh man! Warm, moist, steaming gingerbread fresh from the oven!!! One of my favorite holiday treats to make is fresh gingerbread. One of the few breads/cakes I like to make from scratch!!! Yummy..... Now I want to bake so I can enjoy the flavor as well as the smell!! My tummy is grumbling... Too bad I don't usually make it all year round! It'll be the holiday season soon enough.... this scent stayed on me for about 4 hours before simply- poof- disappearing!

Gingerbread Poppet 04

I got an aged bottle of GP through a swap with miss apple (Thank you Forever!!!).

Can I just say, it is purrrrr-fect! It is so much better than what I expected, So Spot-On!!

It smells EXACTLY like gingerbread, not too fake-cake, not too spicy, and not too intense or strong. Just kick-ass awesomeness! I love how it chills out after a few hours and gets a little more vanilla-ey, too....

I have it in my scent locket today, too, so I am still experiencing its awesomeness. It's been 4 hours, and it's fading fast from my skin, but it's going strong in the locket. Highly recommended if you want to extend the length of wear, especially for something as delicious as this!

I was so worried that this scent would be too overwhelming, or fake-smelling, or would give me a spicy headache. But nope, I'm obsessed. :D :P

If I was to rate this on a scale of 1-5, it's a 5+ for me.

Instantly one of my BPAL faves, and my family is gonna flip for this at all our upcoming get-togethers! This reminds me of why I love the winter holiday season (even if I'm not religious at all, it's awesome to be with the whole fam damnily!)

Gingerbread Poppet 2007

This years version of the Poppet is by far the best imo. It smells a lot like GBP '04 did, like gingersnap cookies or fresh out of the oven gingerbread. It is very similar to the 'evil gingersnaps' that some people get from the old Shub. Omg SO GOOD. I'll be stocking up on this one for sure. :P

2007 version

I am soooooo glad I got a bottle of this. It's so smooth and gingerbread cooky-ish. It's not sharp and doesn't burn the nose it's really awesome.

It reminds me of cooking gingerbread people with my mom around christmas. Also it's totally wearable. I loooooove this and it's an instant new favorite.

Mmmm, fresh baked gingerbread! I can see why this is so beloved! It is just delicious and spicy and OM NOM NOM NOM!

I love the label! It took me a minute to figure out but now I can see it: the face of a gingerbread person!

Edited by maribouquet

Yes this is very yummy,doesn't burn the nose no, I must get a bottle! I Actually tried a decant of the 2005 version, hopfully the 07 isn't too much different.

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

Mine just came today,and it was a messy,sloppy,wet day so to be rescued by GINGERBREAD POPPET yum-I think it might be a tad fruitier than my other bottle (that is now safe for me to stop hoarding)have slathered a couple times since Ive been home and even though it makes me hungry I love it-warm,spicy,purrfect!

ADDED Dec. 18:

Now that I have the 2007 bottle I can relax and use the last drops of my 2005 bottle;my wrists smell like moist,warm gingerbread, the best cake or cookie ever. The 2005 lasts quite a while on me, almost peppery but in a good way, and with this I am getting hungry

2007 version

in the bottle this is smoother and sweeter than the earlier version i got as a sniffy. it's very much gingerbread. it wouldn't startle me to find that the bottle was full of cookie crumbs, to tell the truth. a lot of the BPAL food scents are excellent interpretations, but this is almost exactly the same as the smell of actual, edible gingerbread. it's slightly buttery and quite spicy, but soft and crumbly.

wet on skin the spices are almost overwhelming and fatteningly delicious.

dry on skin the spicy crumb-ishness never really changes, but the buttery smell doesn't really make it out of the bottle on me. it's a wee bit spicier on my actual skin and sweeter, but it remains this perfect gingerbread smell. fantastic and i'm so glad i took a chance on it.

Oh wow, this is heavenly!!! Smells like sweet spiced gingerbread in the best imaginable way! I just want to slather myself in it...I could seriously bathe in this. This is not a super complex scent - I find it to be rather straightforward. It's gingerbread. Yummy gingerbread cookies fresh out of the oven! This is my favorite gourmand scent so far! Delish. More please!!! :D :P

Bottle: Pure ginger

Wet: OMG! :P That is the best gingerbread I have ever smelled. I might need another bottle of this. I could eat myself.

Drydown: This is a beautiful foody scent. If you like the smell of gingerbread cookies, this was made for you, because it is perfect!

4.5 outta 5

Gingerbread Poppet is the perfect foody scent for people who don't like foody scents. On my skin, it isn't sweet at all -- it's pure, delicious spices. Only the tiniest dab is needed for me to get great wafts of cinnamony goodness to my nose. On drydown, I do notice something slightly fruity -- fig, perhaps? I can only smell it when I huff at my wrist, but I think it does add a richness to the "feel" of gingerbread in the throw. Yum.

Lune already mentioned it was a straightforward scent, but it's one that I find incredibly comforting (and perfect for a cold day)!

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

It's incredible how dead on this is on me. (2007 version) It's spicey and only very slightly sweet gingerbread. Foody, but not too much. Definitely spicey - cinnamon, nutmeg. More spicey than sweet. And so good. Now I have a craving for some gingersnaps. :P

bottle: warm, fresh-baked spice cookies. fingers are crossed hoping the cinnamon doesn't burn me.

wet: this has a red-hot cinnamon scent, like... red hots or cinnamon chewing gum. there is just a hint of a vanill-like sweetness underneath.

dry: this blend did not burn me at all which is surprising because cinnamon is the strongest scent. it's qute nice to be able to wear a scent like this without pain. there is a bare hint of other spices and something sweet underneath. very yummy.

I am in love with this scent. It is exactly what I hoped it would be and more.

In the bottle: Sweet nostalgia of holidays past. It's all spicy gingerbread in the oven and the aroma of small village boutiques and holiday parties. It's incredible.

On me: Pretty much the same as in the bottle. The cinnamon and nutmeg are perfect on my skin. It's the most yummy thing to ever have graced my wrist.

Dry: It only gets better. It sweetens and warms up a bit, but the scent stays true throughout.

I may need to get more of this.... 10 out of 10-Perfect score!

straight sniff from bottle is gingerbread batter from my mixing bowl!! nummy!

once applied this is soooooooooo gorgeous!! gingerbread at its finest...combined with

nutmeg and spices....definitely swoonworthy and 100% better than the previous!

the sillage is marvelous as well...

pure joy and love in this little 5ml i am thrilled... :P

GINGERBREAD POPPET 2007

WET: Spices and gingerbread.

DRY: This smells exactly like fresh-from-the-oven gingerbread cookies, the kind that are just a little bit chewy and have a nice kick of ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I have no idea how Beth does it, but this is magical.

I have tried the 2005 version and it has more of a cookie-batter sort of ginger scent. I like that one, but I prefer the 2007 version which has a spicier, baked ginger cookie scent. LOVE!

Beth, you are my goddess. Thanks to my switch witch, I got a whole bottle of the 2007 version. Warm, fresh, gingerbread!!! I could snuggle up in it all winter...and I may just do that!

I hate it when this happens...

I really like Gingerbread Poppet 07 in the bottle and my scent locket. It's very well balanced between sweet and spicy. It's warm and wholesome.

When I put it on my skin, it loses that "balance." First, my skin amps up the spice so much that it's almost like wearing cinnamon. Then it mellows out and almost smells like tea. Ah well, I guess this is one for lockets and hair.

Now this I like! Gingerbread Poppet is exactly what I had hoped Shub would be! All spicy gingerbread, none of the lemon. Warm, gooey, spicy gingerbread... mmmmm. Must go bake some now. And I never bake. Ever.