Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

In the imp, this is straight-up gingerbread. ;laskjgdh;lh YUM!

When I put it on, it's very.. dough-y. Like. I can smell the 'cookie'. But, it's kinda flat? I dunno how to describe it. I was hoping there would be more spice.

Yeah. It's very flat. :P Woe. Edited by Shollin

I was so excited to try this... Its been my "Holy Grail" since discovering BPAL last year.

In the bottle: Delicious! Warm, spicy, doughy. It smells divine. I love foody scents, and this one is great.

On My Skin: Ew. I get the yummy scent, then a sharp tanginess that reminds me of... cat pee. Wow. :P But I love it in the bottle! I've tried it twice, thinking my chemistry was weird. This just doesn't work on me.

Oh, and it lasts all day. I put this on at 9:30 am (before work). Its now 9:30 pm and I still smell it.

Edited by Kiera

Well, it's exactly as advertised - it's gingerbread. That's seriously all I get - in the bottle, wet on skin, and as it dries. (Well, in the bottle it smells a bit more sugary - almost dough-like. Once it hits the skin, though, it becomes regular spiced gingerbread).

It has a decent throw (but my skin has been amping stuff lately - not sure exactly why. It's weird, but the past four scents I've used have all been pretty strong. Strange). The staying power is all right - four or so hours. Not the best I've used, but not the worst, either.

Lovely scent, and I do like the smell a lot - but not as a perfume. I got a bottle of this, and I'm going to use it as a room scent, I think, but not very often on me.

04 Version...

Oh my.

This is amazing.

I received GP in a swap and wasn't terribly excited about it, but thought I'd give it a try (I'm not really crazy about foody scents, or so I thought). Gingerbread Poppet doesn't last a long time on my skin (what a surprise- my skin just eats perfume), so I've been wearing it in a scent locket and I have to say I'm in love. It's spicy and delicious but oddly enough, it doesn't make me hungry- it almost has the opposite effect, like I could just sit here all day smelling GP and I'd be fine. I'll be interested to see what the 06 version will be like (please let there be an 06 version!).

I can't rave enough about how wonderful this oil is. I would say it's in the top 10 of all the oils I've tried. I love it!

*edited because I can't spell...

Edited by Arylkin

'05 version:

I looove the poppet! Easily one of my favorites. To be honest, I haven't had gingerbread recently enough to remember what it smells like. This is warm and spicy, with a soft kind of spice--much more calm/cozy than the sharp kind of spicy. And it makes me want to gnaw on my arm.

For those who like layering, a dab of Bliss over this somehow makes it even more delicious than it already is.

Yum! I just got this, my first actual bottle.

It's..um.

Gingerbread.

That's pretty much it, but in the bottle and on my skin it's just...idunno. It's not a "Perfume" scent like most I've smelled, even the unconventional ones ... but it's something I think I'll wear on those days when I just want to curl up in a ball and cry, because it's comforting, like your grandmother baking cookies... It feels like loving family at the holidays, like a pleasant dream, like contentment, like peace. For me, it's the perfume equivalent of a hug from a loved one.

I love this to pieces... and yeah, it did make me want to eat my wrist :D. I'm going to cry when it's gone!

Ach, I hope this comes back this year! :P

[How on Earth does she do it? :D]

Edited by «now is forever»

Lovely spices of holiday cheer! Warm gingerbread and... yeah. That's about it. I will say that it is incredibly true to the name. I don't detect a lot of difference from bottle to drydown. This is making me HUNGRY. Really hungry. It's a lovely scent, but I'm not sure if it's one I'll use a whole heck of a lot.

EDIT: I wore this again today, and it was overwhelmingly ICK on me. It smelled a little boozy and a lot butterscotchy and less holiday cheery. Actually, it reminded me more of a candle, which makes me think it'd be a decent room scent. So... it's really not one I'll use a whole heck of a lot. I may need to start a swap listing, eh?

Edited by cordia

This is gonna be a short review- it's indeed gingerbread, and the scent stays the same from the first moment of applying to hours after. It has a light to average throw, and it's just lovely- a nice and cozy scent for wintertime. I think it'd also make a great room scent.

In the bottle: Gingerbread!

On the skin: Gingerbread...but only for a little while. It seems a little dry on me - if it had more sweetness it would smell more like gingerbread to my nose.

Drying down: Ginger and spices go away, the smell of burning wood comes out to play.

Verdict: Doesn't seem to work well with my chemistry. Phooey.

ADDED Sept. 5:

This is my second trial of Gingerbread Poppet. I tried it a while ago, upon which time it smelled like burning.

This try, happily, was better.

In the vial: Quite faint to me, but distinctly warm gingerbread.

Wet: Gingerbread! It smells like gingerbread fresh from the oven, warm and spicy.

Drydown: The intenisty of this scent fades quickly. Still, hours later, I'm getting odd whiffs of cinnamon and cloves. Yummy.

I think I may have to hunt up a bottle.

Just exactly as advertised-all the smells of warm gingerbread cookies. Brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, butter, ginger, cloves, cinnamon. Delightfully edible with a good throw. A wonderful thing to wear in winter.

Gingerbread Poppet

I had to get it of course. I love gingerbread as cookies, soft cake, ice cream, tea... And yes, it does smell like gingerbread, but with an added note of burnt sugar, like Goth Rosary's Samhain and the likes. As it dries it turns a little plastic but still nice, warm and sweet and cosy and spicy, just like gingerbread should be. I think I have too many perfumes that are sort of gingerbread-y, but I had to get the one with the gingerbread name as well, it's so cute.

I kind of hate gingerbread. I didn't test my lonely imp of this for a really long time, just because "Eh, gingerbread" kept going through my mind whenever I'd look at it. Then it occured to me the other day that I'd not actually PUT IT ON. I should know by now how silly that is with BPALs, even if I did hate Shub Niggurath, the epitome of gingery goodness apparently.

So anyway, I did put some Poppet on, and I actually quite like it. It is spot-on good quality gingerbread, the lovely aroma of it baking. Guess I like the smell not the flavor, which makes some sense thinking about it- I do think I've drooled over the smell but then not liked the taste, several times.

Spice, butter, vanilla and sweet ginger, it's very yummy on. I don't find the spices overwhelming or artificial; I definitely don't get "candle" (or fake) from this- it smells very real and good. I do have a fetish for BPAL's foody scents, so it's no wonder I like this. I often pour Sugar Cookie on myself like crazy. I will have to get me a bottle of this tasty little treat after all. I'm glad it doesn't go off on me. The more foody scents the merrier!

5 out of 5.

Edited by LittleGreyKitten

I will say at the get-go that I adore foody as well as Autumn scents... so I might be a bit predjudiced when I say Ummmmm. YUM!!!! :P

This is GORGEOUS.

The scent is buttery and creamy with cinnamon spice in the bottle.

On my skin there is a bit of an "outdoorsy" fragrance... maybe pine-ish?

I really, really, really love the fragrance.

Like Jack and Trick or Treat (to me) this scent captures the delicious scents of Fall that I love so much.

Excuse me please whilst I go chew my wrists off.

:D

Bottle: Cookie. They ain't lyin'.

Wet: The spiciness of the cookie is stronger, but yep - damn if it ain't gingerbread.

Dry: Same.

Later: Yummy, but it makes me hungry. Now I'm having a craving for old fashioned spice cookies and a tall, very cold, glass of milk.

I AM a naughy bakesale! The 2005 version smells spicier on my skin but it's just as warm and tasty. This one usually goes in the burner because otherwise I'm constantly craving cookies...or attempting to eat my arm. Lovely!

I got lucky and found someone selling a bottle of Gingerbread Poppet 2005 on ebay and it was worth every penny. This is the richest, creamiest, spiciest gingerbread I've ever smelled. This smells like gingerbread straight out of the oven, then slathered with real butter and served with steamed milk and honey. I can't believe this is a perfume and not something actually baking in my kitchen. Total comfort scent!

In the bottle, buttery smooth gingerbread. YUM - I don't typically want to smell like cookies, but if the cookies are this good, it's ALL good. On? This is just out of the oven, buttery melt-in-your-mouth, gooey gingerbread waiting to be painted with frosting or just consumed with a huge glass of milk. The spices are bright and lovely and there's REALLY REALLY a buttery sensation to this one. My mom even liked this one, although she's not a huge perfume fan due to her allergies. Dry, it's cooled to cookies being frosted; the spices are mellowed by a sweeter note that I'll lovingly call frosting because there's no other words. This breathes cookies for HOURS on end, delightfully innocent and loaded with mischief. This is a scent that I'll wear for months on end without tiring of it. I smell absolutely edible in every sense of the word - the good, the bad, and the downright naughty. Frankly, with this scent, I'm okay with that. The cookies don't go stale like I was worried they might, they just very slowly go away - like when kids get their hands on them. Slowly they disappear and finally there's nothing left but a faint breath of nutmeg which finally fades away too.

I don't smell the ginger in this at all, and neither has anyone I let sniff it. You know what I smell? Waffles. Waffles covered in butter and dripping with syrup. So much so that I had to go out and buy some waffles.

I'm a little bummed about no gingerbread, but the idea of buttery waffley perfume is hilarious to me, so this is one of my faves. ::snuggles her 5mL::

cookies!!! this scent is pure yummy gingerbread cookies... with a little icing? actually reminds me of a bread my family makes every Christmas (Poorman's Bread). Spicy and thick... i'd say "butter-y", but not in the same way as something like Underpants (which i thought was icky).

Anyway, I hope nobody minds that I'll be walking around all December smelling like a bakery! DELICIOUS!!

Gingerbread Poppet 2005 - I’m not really into bakery scents and I have never cared for gingerbread, but I thought I’d give this one a shot – I mean, with BPAL, you just never know. Right? In the vial, I didn’t care for the scent at all – it seemed dry and sort of hollow; however, as soon as it touched my skin, it warmed up and instantly turned into the smell of warm gingerbread cookies on my arm! It’s full of holiday spices, and reminds me of Christmas. This scent has terrific throw and staying power. I’m impressed with the quality of it. It is an authentic gingerbread scent, but since I tend to not wear bakery scents, I won’t be wearing this on my skin again. I will, however, be using this in my oil burner. In fact, I’m going to go put some in it right now. I think my house will smell gorgeous!

Gingerbread Poppet 2004 - I had never heard of the 2004 version differs from 2005 at all, but I figured I'd test it out and see, so I put 2004 on one arm and 2005 on the other arm. Whereas 2005 is sweet and creamy ginger, 2004 is more sharp and biting ginger. It reminded me a lot of Shub, actually. So then I dabbed a bit of Shub on my upper arm to compare and while they're not the same, I definitely detect a lot more of the sharp ginger in both Shub and GP'04 than I do in GP'05. It's similar to how Sugar Cookie '04 is sharper and more biting than Sugar Cookie '05. GP'04 is wonderful and it lasts a long time on my skin. While I don't smell it consistently, I occasionally pick up wafts of it that are just incredibly beautiful. I am already looking forward to the '06 version of Gingerbread Poppet.

*edited to add GP'04 review*

Edited by edenssixthday

This is a skillfully crafted gingerbread smell. And though the doughyness is intriguing, I find it off-putting. Something a little cloying about it, sort of yeasty in a way. I can see the appeal of smelling like gingerbread though, but I wish it was a little sharper.

In the vial this is a strong, sweet gingered scent of spices, piercingly delicious with cloves. On my skin this immediately smells like gingerbread as it’s cooking in the oven! It smells exactly like it - mouth-wateringly delicious!! Mmmmmm. The cloves peek through, but they’re in amongst the gingerbread yumminess. This calms down, after a few hours, to a yummy sweet scent, like gingerbread that’s cooled down after coming out of the oven. It’s sweet and tasty! Yum.

In the vial: Warm, delicious gingerbread!

On me: A bit softer than the scent in the vial, but it's simply delightful - I can also smell cinnamon and clove.

It actually reminds me of Ben & Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk ice cream a lot, probably because of the cinnamon found in both.

Cinnamon and clove both amp up on my skin after a while. Yum.

Verdict: Delicious. Too bad it's an LE. I'm glad that I found some scents that smell similar (Arcana's Chai/Clove layering notes) so that I don't have to go crazy about finding a bottle.

Rating: 5/5

Thanks to Blood onmy hands for the decant ('05 version).

Vial: Oh sweet sweet gingerbread. Like with white (sugar, not cream cheese) icing.

Skin: The spices are singularly prevalent on my skin, especially the nutmeg and the clove.

Drydown: As with many spicy scents, everything seems to merge into a warm veil once dry. Poppet ends up smelling less like gingerbread and more like a sophisticated spice-based Oriental on me. But it's delicious nonetheless. I love gingerbread, so how could I not love the Poppet?!

Edited by luna65

I got an imp of the '04 version in an auction on eBay, as part of a lot containing another scent I really wanted. But when I tried GP I fell in love! This is what I wanted Shub to be - ginger, spice, sweet and clove-y. It dries down to a gorgeous yummy almost musky sweetness. *wants bottle*

There's a "bready" element in Love Me, Dixie Love Perfume and Shub that I'm not very fond of, and happily GP doesn't have it. It's all the notes in gingerbread I love and none of the ones that turn me off.