Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

Well, this was my first real strikeout with a limited edition, but then again, it was a triumph of impulse and curiosity over good sense. I'd heard all the squeeing and love over this scent, so when an imp came up for sale, I snagged it... disregarding the fact that although I love foody scents as a whole, I don't actually LIKE gingerbread very much.

So, I have to say that although this is a DAZZLINGLY ACCURATE representation of fresh, warm, just-baked gingerbread, it just wasn't for me. Within about ten minutes, it was giving me a headache. (For the record, hubby LOVED it on me.)

But for anyone who enjoys gingerbread, I can certainly see why this is such a hit!

This smells exactly like little gingerbread men. Even my perfume wary husband loves this one. It's warm and spicy and delicious, as if I've smeared the cookie batter on my wrists and neck. Lovely!!! :D :P

Gingerbread Poppet

In the imp: gingerbread. Yummy, delicious gingerbread, pain d'epice, spiced dough mix.

Wet on skin: yum yum! Gingersnaps. Not as nose-piercingly intense and loud as Shub, this one's more sugary, buttery and doughy, but the ginger still adds a nice, fiery bite, it's a lovely warming smell.

Dry on skin: still the same as wet, the ginger's nice and strong, but it's not as hot and screaming like Shub. The dough, sugar, and other spices can be made out, including my favourite spice, cinnamon. This smells edible, I wanna eat myself.

After a while: now I can smell the treacle and the butter and the dry flour that make up the gingerbread dough, as well as the ginger (we're talking chunks of real stem ginger here, not feeble dried powdered ginger) and the other spices-this stuff is so authentic and so genuine smelling!!! It really reminds me of the smell of the spiced bread my mum buys from France, in fact, but with more ginger added.

Verdict: this is delicious and gorgeous. A lot of people have tried this before Shub Niggurath, but as a BPAL newbie it's the other way round for me. This is the toned down, sweeter, more comforting version of Shub, a delicious, edible smelling gingerbread mix, very much like French pain d'epice (spiced bread) or like home made gingersnaps with huge chunks of ginger, and you can smell the sugary buttery dough, and the other lovely spices. A perfect blend for the winter, it's warming and yummy. If it's released again this Xmas, I'm buying a 5ml! Now I need to buy some gingersnaps because this stuff is making me crave them… :P

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Ginger Bread Poppet = 5 Stars *****

-In the Bottle: Very yummy, smells of everything the winter holidays should smell of!

-Wet on Skin: Still very yummy the nutmeg starts to take over a bit and the rest of the spices follow it's lead!

-Dry on Skin: To me it smells like what a Chai Latte tastes! One of my very favorite drinks! Ahhhh pure heaven! I always make the baristas smell my wrist if I'm wearing it when I order one at a coffee shop!

-My final Feelings: Pure heaven in a bottle! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and safe! Especially when I put it on before bed when my husband is at work durring the night shift. Makes me feel like a lil girl again! I have so many emotions when I wear this! LOVE IT!

I get the ginger smell very strongly, but also lurking in the background is a doughy smell, whichs really makes it smell like gingerbread.

It's a very warm and comforting smell and not too foody at all. It does make me want to bake cookies, though.

When this first hits my skin, it's all spices. It smells like the spices in Sugar Cookie, but with less cinnamon, more nutmeg, and more ginger. It gets a bit buttery (very slight, not as much as Sugar Cookie) over time and it really does smell like gingerbread. It's a very comforting scent. However, this Poppet fades fast. It gets really soft in two hours, and it's nearly gone within four hours. I can still smell it in the sixth hour, but it's smells like a gingerbread spices soap, which is why it seemed like it was gone (I have to stick my nose to my skin, though).

My Impression:

This smells exsctly like fresh gingerbread straight from the oven. I really don't have much to add here to the earlier reviews except to say this would make a lovely seasonal room scent. I can't see myself wearing it as a perfume. To me it really reminds me of the Christmas type of scents.

In the vial: Oh my god. It's pure, authentic gingerbread, fresh out of the oven, still hot and moist and soft to the touch. It's warm, spicy, sweet, utterly delicious. If this tasted like it smelled, I'd be drinking the oil right now.

Wet: The scent itself dries on my skin; the gingerbread has had time to cool and harden. The clove is also much more prominent now, but this is still absolutely, 100% gingerbread.

Dry: Still the same delicious scent, thank god! The drydown has sweetened it ever so slightly, so now it's gingerbread with icing slathered on top. It's amazing how, from start to finish, this follows the steps of baking actual gingerbread! The only downside is that this seems very faint on my skin; the scent doesn't waft around me as I wish it would.

An hour later: Not much change as time wears on. Including my shock and awe at how amazing this scent is... I don't I'll ever get over it!

Overall: I think this has bumped Midway out of the way to become my second favorite BPAL blend. I've always loved gingerbread, and the authenticity of this scent is astounding. I want to lick my skin when I'm wearing this! I only have two imps, and it's going to take all of my strength to preserve them, and not slather Gingerbread Poppet all over me, every day, all winter long.

First Impression: Fresh baked gingerbread.

Dries down to: Sweet, iced gingerbread - quite yummy.

Additional Comments: The nutmeg, clove and cinnamon are very well balanced; I can detect all of them but none "outshines" the others. This will make a wonderful winter house fragrance.

Lasted: Several Hours

Rating: 4 out of 5

Right out of the imp this smells just like gingerbread. On my skin, well, this turns a bit funky. It smells like gingerbread and this weird dirty root smell. My fiance thinks it smells like Thai food, but I think that maybe the ginger is amping up on me and doing nasty stuff with my chemistry. Afer this dries it goes back to smelling like gingerbread. Weird. I think I am going to test this again before I come up with a final verdict...

This is THE best perfume oil I've ever smelled...EVER!! :P

It's like it was created just for me. Wow, what can I say about this? It's perfect.

Gingerbread Poppet smells exactly like warm gingerbread.

At first, I thought this would make a better room/candle scent, but after wearing this all day...it's definilty going to be something I'm going to wear a lot.

I can't stop sniffing my wrists.

This is Christmas in a bottle. This is every good holiday memory I've ever had in a little 5ml cobalt blue bottle.

I need dozens more of this.

In the Bottle: Spices and alcohol.

Dry: SWEET gingerbread, not too sharp or gingery, a very mellow delicious scent, more like a loaf of gingerbread like pumpkin bread (which I prefer) than a hard crunchy cookie.

Gotta be a foody to enjoy this, IMO. And luckily I am!!!

As I love eating gingerbread and love the smell of it, I had to give this a try.

Origin: decant bought off LJ

In the Bottle: Fresh gingerbread!!! :P

Wet: All the spices surge forward to duke it out. I'm getting wafts of clove and cinnamon and nutmeg, one after the other.

Drydown: Eventually the ginger wins, with the cinnamon hanging tough.

Verdict: I'm not into wearing foody scents, but this is going to smell absolutely wonderful in my oil burner come Christmastime!

ETA: I bought a bottle of the 2005 edition, and it seems that this one is a little more bread-like, a little sweeter, with slightly subtler spices. Still the yum, though!

Edited by puck_nc

Just got this in a swap from kmasden. :waves:

In the bottle:

Gingerbread batter. It never fails to amaze me how Beth gets that unbaked sweets smell in her oils, like Bliss.

Wet:

Very strong, sweet ginger...with a hint of cooked white rice?

Drydown:

The weird cooked white rice smell was very strong for the first few minutes (it was like milk rice, if you've ever had that low-class treat -- rice with milk poured over it like cereal, plus lots of cinnamon), but faded out eventually.

I'm extremely surprised at how not sweet this was on me for a long time, given how my skin sweetens things up. It was just a straight hit of baking spices, mostly ginger with some cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves mixed in. Quite pungent, with excellent throw. Now it's mellowing out to be sweeter, more like baked gingerbread, which is nice too.

I'm not much on foody scents normally, but the fact that this isn't going too sweet on me really has me hooked. I might even try mixing a bit of Gluttony with it, just to butter it up. :P

Edited by sophia_helix

Oh my god. Within seconds of opening the bottle, I was desperately in love. :P

Wet: Almost pure nutmeg. It makes me think of slightly bitter French toast.

Dry: Christmas in a bottle. Warm gingerbread, not too sweet, with just the right blend of spices. None of them are overpowering, it's a really nice balance.

Please oh please let it be released again this year. I need multiple bottles. This is going to be used a LOT, especially as the holiday season approaches. :D

In the imp: Gingerbead.

On, wet: Very cakey, more gingerbread than clove, nutmeg or cinnamon.

Later: It stays very much a foody scent, rather than a spicy one. I can even smell a bit of flour, I swear I can, like how the remnants left on the counter after rolling out the dough smell... I like it, but it would have been better with more spice and less cake.

In the bottle Yummy ginger cookies dancing

On skin wet oooo moulin rouge cookie gals dancing with cinnamon slipers on their tiny feet

dry down the cookie gals have ran away and left behind a trace of spicey dancers footprints on

a desolate parisian stage

lasted 45 minutes IF that

This scent is amazing, its full of sexy baked can-can dancers, i will never ever get tired of it as it only last 45 minutes on me. It goes from cakey yummy goodness to spicey trails of smokey sexiness. Gingerbread Poppet knows me well. It is intense in the extreme for 5 minutes then fades, gradually teasing me with notions of that first application, daring me to slather it everywhere. I wont however as I LOVE :P the scent too much. OH Poppet you are such a tease. Show me whats under those bloomers!!!!!!!!!!!!

I adore it YUM YUM YUM

First on, this smells like cinnamon and black pepper on me. It's overwhelmingly spicy and I'm disappointed that it doesn't smell more foodie. I was hoping for a warm cookie scent.

After an hour, yay, this is starting to smell more like a cookie and less full out spices.

This definitely reminds me of Shub & Cerberus with the biscuit smell. It's not as spicy as Shub, but not as light on the spice as Cerberus (Cerberus being my favorite of the three, I'm weird, I know).

After about 5 hours this has lightened considerably and has more of a buttery smell to it, which I love.

I'll probably get a bottle of this if it is re-released this year. I want to try it as a room scent and use it for layering with some other foodie scents (Gingerbread Poppet and Shill?).

gingerbreadpoppet.jpg

A lovely cozy blend which lasts and broadcasts like crazy. I was expecting a strong start and 15 minutes later...nothing. I was happily surprised. Once again, Beth has managed to escape making a fragrance which reminds you of Michael's Craft Store while using old standby's like ginger and spices. I am not in love love love with Gingerbread Poppet because it's an old standard done well but lacks a lot of creativity. But what it lacks in "wow" factor of The New, it makes up for in its great interpretation of something old. I'd say this was a winner and look forward to Gingerbread Poppet '05.

I don't know what year this is, because it was hand decanted by someone on makeupalley (unless for some reason, these gingerbread poppet imps had individually handwritten tags?)

in the bottle it is very yummy smelling gingerbread

wet on skin: the ginger is very strong.

dry on skin: ginger is still a bit strong, its so true to its name. not yankee candle-ish and over sweet. in fact it is not very sweet, just has a pinch of sweetness, just enough to make it smell like baked gingerbread and not like, raw grated ginger.

I can smell cinnamon.

I love this! I might have to buy a 5mL

Edited by ancilla

Gingerbread Poppet '04

A lovely gimp from the lovlier Emu Nymph.

In the bottle: butter and spicy, uncooked dough. Having just run the Pumpkin Patch gauntlet, I am not scared by the butter, as it seems to dissipate once the oil hits my skin.

Wet/drydown: raw gingerbread. I'm not getting the fresh-baked bread/cookies/biscuit feeling others have, to me this is batter that has yet to be baked. This is probably the most foody scent I've ever tried!

Later: four hours later and the spices stayed with me all day, the "green" unbaked edge softened, and now it's almost gone. I think. I still get a warm spiced bread waft every once in a while which is very comforting.

My skin has been eating oils lately. I'll definitely try this again (and probably end up using the entire imp!) because it's so delicious, but this is not something I would wear normally. I like the concept of foodie oils, but have very few encounters with ones that work on me. This is the closest.

Edited by darkitysnark

This is dead on fresh baked Gingerbread.

I think i would like this as a room scent at Christmas, but cant really imagine using it or wearing it for anything else.

Warm, buttery homemade gingerbread cookies in a bottle. *hugs* to the lab for creating the ULTIMATE comfort blend for me!

This scent brings back so many happy childhood memories of baking gingerbread with my grandmother during the holiday! Cinnamon, buttery ginger and sweet foody-vanilla!

2005 Version

Rating (on skin): 4/5

Summarised in one word: Gingerbread!

In the bottle: Mmm, gingerbread! An entire gingerbread cookie, no less, dough and all. Yum!

On skin, wet: Nutmeg, cinnamon and creamy, almost buttery ginger. This is a lovely scent, but it's intensely foody. It reminds me of strong, well-made gingerbread candles.

On skin, dry: Spicy-sweet heaven. I don't smell the dough anymore, so it's more like a mixture of all the ingredients before baking, not the actual cookie. After an hour or so, the clove begins to appear, and the ginger becomes much stronger, but neither of these things are bad. I can't pretend that I don't love this, but it's so foody and sweet... I'm not sure I could ever see myself wearing this.

Throw/strength: Gingerbread Poppet has an average-to-strong throw. I can smell it normally for about four hours, and can smell it against my skin for almost five.

Conclusion: Yes, I love it. Would I like to have my apartment smell this way? Yes! Would I like to smell like this myself? Not so much. It's a bit too foody to wear as a perfume. I can't comment on how it differs from GP 04 (or 03?), because I haven't tried/smelled them.

Edited by Aredhel

2005 version: I can't believe I finally found a BPAL too foodie for me. This smells *exactly* like gingerbread cookie dough... and that's the problem. It literally smells like I smeared dough on myself. The raw flour & butter smell is so strong (my skin tends to soak up spices). I wish I had ordered Three Witches instead.

Anyway, the throw and lasting power are both quite strong, as well.