Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

2010 version--

How much do I love this scent? Let me count the ways. (Or not, otherwise we could be here all day...!)

In the bottle, this is a straightforward scent: ginger, just that. On my wrist it becomes gingerbread liberally topped with brown sugar and lots of cinnamon and cloves. After a while, the spices and the sugar develop into something incredibly comforting and lovely and warm; I won't say it's creamy, because the softness of cream is different, but it's... Well, if scents were the sounds of instruments, it's as if the orchestra of this blend stopped trying to impress the listener and simply started playing in a rich harmony. I get wafts of a deep caramel and sweetened spices.

In the last stage, the caramel dominates and becomes more buttery and creamy, and instead of spicy ginger I get fruits whose main note is "floral fruit" rather than "fruity sweet". So so so so much love. I need more bottles. Moooooooore.

I have the 2005 version, and in the bottle it's all gingerbread. :wub2:

Wet on the skin it's mostly gingerbread, but as it dries down it fades into a sugared spice kind of scent on my skin. I like it, and will most likely hold on to my bottle, but it doesn't have that much staying power on me, so I doubt it will replace El Dia De Los Reyes as my go to winter/yule scent.

2007 version--

Whee! Gingerbread, gingerbread, gingerbread! One of the previous reviews mentions that this is "Christmas in a bottle" and I must agree. Once dry the cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves come out and wow, so yummy with all the lovely spicey sweetness. Smelling it makes me feel warm and cozy; all I'm missing is a hot mug of apple cider, a knit sweater, and a cat in my lap and I can imagine it's Christmas-time at home! Really love this.

2005 Version:

Oh, my! Ginger snaps! This smells like a fresh opened box of ginger snaps! Or wait.... is that gingerbread cake with vanilla icing? Yes! Gingerbread cake with vanilla icing! Orrr.... gingerbread latte! Yes! It is all of those! :yum:

2010 Version:

This really does smell like gingerbread! I swear there's a note in here that reminds me of white frosting, too. It's not quite as rich and delicious on my skin as in the bottle, though. On me, it has a slightly "dry" quality. I still enjoy it, though; the smell is warm and pleasantly spiced. It's like there's a cookie or gingerbread-flavored herbal tea nearby that I keep getting whiffs of.

purchased from Chromeoxide!

In bottle: PURE GINGERBREAD before I even got the thing to my nose!

On skin: Cinnamon red hots, with a hint of gingerbread underneath. Where'd my gingerbread go??

Drydown: Welcome back, gingerbread! I feel tasty in this :D over the course of the day I'd catch whiffs and have to smell myself again, in between actively smelling myself. At one point the gingerbread toned down a bit more and smelled like horchata, a rice milk drink native to my heritage. I got a little emotional :blush:

Verdict: This is an incredibly realistic interpretation of gingerbread, the whole thing is just delicious from beginning to end. This may end up being a favorite of mine, especially for this lovely fall to winter weather I'm experiencing.

Edited by madscientistdh

In the bottle: Sugary sweet gingerbread, doused in icing. Also smells very much like a chai latte with six sugars or there abouts! I make my gingerbread with honey so this isn't quite the smell I'm used to.

Wet: The sweetness fades very quickly and the cinnamon amps up. Raw, hot cinnamon burns my nose for a few minutes.

Drydown: The cinnamon fades just enough to let the other spices come through, I can catch ginger and nutmeg and maybe a hint of baked biscuit.

Verdict: This has surprisingly low throw on me, something like Morocco which is also spicy but with more musk creates a cloud of spice. It may be because I put it on fresh out of the shower though. I will reapply later in the day and see if it lasts longer. I'm not sure if I'll keep this one yet, it's not as amazing as I had expected and far sweeter, but it might grow on me and the SO likes spices so I'll have to get his opinion.

Gingerbread Poppet is exactly what it sounds like. Gingerbread. Period.

I love this scent, I could wear it every day in the winter. It's yummy and spicy and also sexy. :wub2:

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

2010 version

I never really get to use the word poppet enough. I love that word. My Great Aunt used to call us kids poppet or moppets. Such a silly word. Poppet :lol:

Gingerbread poppet smells like gingerbread. As another reviewer said, I can also smell icing as well.

On my skin the cinnamon comes out right to the front. For awhile cinnamon is all my nose can pick up. After a bit it goes back to sweet warm Christmas gingerbread.

Great...now I want gingerbread.

I really need to stop loving foodie scents because they make me want to eat refined sugar and flour.

This lasts about 7 hours on me which is pretty great as far as I am concerned. It has really far reaching throw too.

When the weather gets colder this will probably be my go to scent. I also think I will try this in my oil burner as well. Edited by Erinofhere

I've wanted this scent ever since I found out it exists, and I managed to get my grubby hands on two bottles by scouring Ebay. One is from 2004, and one is from 2005. And both of them are GORGEOUS. They are the PERFECT gingerbread and I can roll in them for days and oh my god I still want more. There will never be enough.

I think the most important difference between the bottles is that the 2004 version is slightly spicier, while the 2005 version is slightly sweeter. I love both of them, though the 2005 version seems to have more staying power and throw on me. Apart from that, I honestly can't pick the notes apart. I'm too busy dying because oh my GOD, the gingerbread. So delicious. I just want to wear them, like, every day. I never thought I'd like foody scents until I tried these. Oh my GOD, they are amazing.

Score: 10/10

(not sure what year)

You ever heard the saying that something can be a little TOO accurate? I make gingerbread cookies every year, and my least favorite part is the vaguely acrid scent of the molasses in the jug. This scent is so accurate it HAS THAT.

(2010 version)

In the bottle I smell sweet, buttery gingerbread. Wet on my skin it changes to cinnamon Red Hots candy. After drydown there's a slight morph back in the gingerbread spice direction - the sharpness of the cinnamon fades and the scent becomes a little more rich, but I still get the Red Hots. There's not much throw and it doesn't last very long.

All that being said...

I like it! I wish it stayed more true to the bottle scent while on my skin, but I don't really mind the amped cinnamon. I've been wearing it to sleep and it makes me feel all cozy and Christmassy. :lovestruck: I can't wait to try this one in my oil burner, I bet it's a wonderful room scent!

Gingerbread poppet 2010

In the bottle: smells very spicy like straight gingerbread spices. But there is also a creaminess that smells like cream cheese frosting. To me is kind of smells like carrot cake/gingerbread with a nice heaping of cream cheese frosting. On that note I'm calling my mom to have her pick me up some carrot cake from our favorite bakery... Damn you food scents!

Wet: I loose the cream cheese frosting and I'm sad about it. Right now all I smell is straight gingerbread spice without any sugar. I'm hoping it will get more sweet as it dries down. Because right now I smell like a spice candle.

If it stays like this it's going to go up for swap or be used in an oil burner. I like the smell but not as a perfume. Where did the frosting gooooo :(

Dry:It has a strong throw I'll give it that... I feel like this scent will only be used on Christmas.. ..Maybe or as an oil burner.. Or go up for swap/sale..

Wanted to try this since I fell in love with Gingerbread Sin, but Sin and Poppet are different animals. I miss you, amber.

The Gingerbread is great, but the back up choir is a loud Red Hots candy cinnamon (when I'd hoped for crushed up brown sugary baking cinnamon.) Drying down it goes faint fast.

Definitely spicy red christmas candle.

This was just a basic gingerbread scent on me. Nothing special. I expected the greatest gingerbread ever but it sadly wasn't. Maybe it was the age of the bottle but it was very light on my skin too. Also it had no throw and not much staying power. Very sad. But if this came back now I would probably give it another try. Such a cute name.

Gingerbread. There is no other description for this. It is straight up gingerbread. It smells amazing when it first goes on, but then as it dries it goes mostly cinnamon on me. It is a nice holiday blend if you want to smell like a cookie. It is really quite on the spot in imitating gingerbread.

It is super strong! Ive been wearing it today, and I really enjoy this! It smells like proper gingerbread being baked in the oven; warm, cosy and sweet. This is an ultimate foodie! Only would wear this around the festive season.

Wet: Ohhhhh yessssss. Warm, spicy, gingerbread.

Dry: One of those rare blends where the wet stage and the dry-down smells basically identical on my skin. Woo! I love wearing this in the winter. Cozy, warm, and... just so, so good. :heart:

2010 version.

Gingerbread Poppet starts off as a super spicy gingerbread scent, but it gets warmer over time, giving it a fresh-baked gingerbread feel. I swear I can smell the sugar and some brown butter. Smelling it is making me hungry!

I hope this one returns in a future Yule update. It's a wonderful, true gingerbread scent. :heart:

So I recently bought Gingerbread and more Ginger and looooved it wet/bottle, but the warmth of it made the scent turn into perfume. I missed out on getting Gingerbread Poppet when it was released and the reviews all seemed so promising so here I am with an aged 2004 bottle.

Bottle: Warm gingerbread and something alcoholic, like a nutty essence. 

On: This has a very dark warm tone to it, very akin to gingerbread flavour but sweeter, and not as spicy. It has a cakey feel to it, and as it dries down… gosh, I hope it stays this way as it’s quite yum, although I still get whiffs of the “essence” every now and then.

Dry Down: Oh ok, so now I’m getting a burnt rice smell with ginger spice… It’s warm, and strong, spicy and peppery, not perfumey, which is something Gingerbread and More Ginger didn’t have on the dry down, but I also don’t know if I like the burnt bitterness. I wonder if this is how Gingerbread and More Ginger will go as it ages… For now though, I wonder if they could be layered for the best deliciousness of both.

Good throw and long lasting. 

Edited by follis
Typo

In the bottle: Foody gingerbread with extra gingerbread spice. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's immediately foody, with the nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon jumping out as it dries. Once it settles, it's mostly baking spice with a soft undercurrent of gingerbread as a baked good. 

Doesn't morph much after that. Very big on spices, not overly foody. My kind of gingerbread. 

Well unfortunately I'm gonna have to be the odd one out on this one (2010 aged decant). Blends with foodie notes can go one of three ways on my skin 1. delicious and realistic (Caramel Apple Cookie, Lyonesse) 2. Nice at first then sour and gross (Eden) 3. smells like the inside of a plastic bag that a peanut butter and jelly sammich was in . Gingerbread Poppet goes into category 3. I don't know what it is, but a promising blend in the bottle, spicy sweet gingerbread hit my skin and turned plastic bag + vanilla extract + spices. Thanks skin chemistry, thanks. I'll have to try some other blends with the gingerbread note and see if I can isolate it out, but this will have to be a scent locket blend for me.

This review is for the 2005 version!

Maybe it's because this is over a decade old or because I've tested all the Gingerbread Monsters from Winter 2020 very recently, but I really can't pick out any gingerbread in this. All I can smell is just the spices without a bready or cookie note. And what spices I can pick out are very faint, like they were going bad and losing flavor in my spice cabinet.

Disappointing, I'll stick to the Monsters collection for my gingerbread fix.