Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

In the bottle: Gingerbread cookies. Freshly baked. :P

Wet: Warm and super gingery. It actually smells like it’s fresh out of the oven. I want gingerbread cookies! Makes me wanna gnaw off my hand.

Drydown: Smells kind of sweet yet dry, sort of like a spice that makes you sneeze when you open the jar, not sure what it is. Still very nice tho, just not sure if I actually like it on my skin. Will have to wear this one in a scent locket.

Later: Very spicy, very nice. So glad I got ahold of this one.

My boyfriend was kind enough to enable my addiction with this oil, and boy am I glad he did. It has quickly become my favorite.

Wearing it makes me feel like I’m wallowing in gingerbread cookies (in the best possible way).

It’s sweet and spicy at the same time, and dead on the gingerbread. My dog was bent and determined to lick it off of my wrist when I first put it on.

Using this sparingly will definitely be an act of self control.

Very true to the scent of gingerbread. Perhaps (on me) just a bit heavier on the cinnamon. I don't wear this as a perfume very often, though it is a great snuggley bedtime scent.

This blend really shines though in sugar/salt scrubs, in massage oil and as a room scent.

Mmmmm.... cookies!

This is an oil I'm going to have to experiment with at different times of day. In the bottle it smelt very edible. I applied it about and hour or two before dinner. At first I loved the delicious cookie scent, but then it started to get a bit sweet and sickly like in cheap cookie stores where they pump the smell of cookies through the air conditioning. It was spicy with it but I wondered if I was going to have to scrub it off. I had dinner and then something wonderful happened. Gingerbread Poppet turned into a fantastic buttery, spicy smelling perfume. So warm and comforting and perfect. :P oh yes.

run, run as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm a gingerbread man

and that's what gingerbread poppet smelt like all day on me. it's nice, but so very, very foody that it's not me. I like spicy things, but I don't want to actually smell like a biscuit.

I've agreed to sell it onward to a european lushie & I hop she'll be really happy with it.

In the bottle, Gingerbread Poppet was pure gingerbread with a drizzle of molassas. But on me...it smelled JUST like Scentual Pleasures Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes (which, now that I think about it, smells like gingerbread...)! I got a lot of "breadiness", which soon dried down to...baking spices. No more cookie =( If only this had smelled on me like it smelled in the bottle!!

I've decided, after over a year, that this is my FAVORITE blend. (I have 2003, mind.) Though I don't think I can wear it spring or summer....it's amazing. I'll miss it until it gets colder again, but hey -- spring scents gotta have their day as well.

I was anti "food scent" until this one.

Wet: It is cookie sweet and spicy...mainly...nutmeg? It really DOES smell exactly like gingerbread....maybe a little more "peppery."

Drydown: The sweetness fades and the spices remain...mind-blowingly rich, and spicy without being "sexy" (which I don't want to be when going to school!) Cinnamon peeks out more...and yes, definitely less sweet...it "grows up" if that makes sense...

I literally curl up in bed and smell myself after I've doused myself with this...and I've used it as a room scent, car scent, etc! :P

I am re-amazed by it EVERY time I put it on...it's always better than I remember -- even a day later. I wish flavored coffee could taste like this, instead of tasting as if the beans had soaked in perfume themselves.

Now I've got me a 2004 which I'll have to compare...

Straight out of vial: Rich, buttery gingerbread?

Wet on skin: Still gingerbread but the spices are coming out.

Dry on skin: I think this replaces Jack as far as "good-enough-to-eat" goes. It's soooo yummy. Anyone ever smelled Pier 1's "Harvest Spice"? This is almost identical to it. Great as a room scent, too!

as a BPAL newbie who came in just as the 2004 Yule LEs were discontinued, I was lucky enough to snag 2 5mls of this off eBay :P

Gingerbread Poppet:

Wet: Whoo, gingerbread and allspice and grandma's kitchen.

Drydown: Is that hints of rum I smell in those gingerbread cookies?

Longterm wear: Gingerbread Poppet is pretty much spot-on to its description. I absolutely love the scent, but I don't know that I'd wear it as a personal perfume. It smells much more like something I'd want in a bath bomb, a candle, or a room scent of some sort. I'll have to explore. :P

This is a dry, very spicy scent; lots of clove and ginger, definitely true to the description. It's not too sweet, and in the bottle it smells just like gingerbread baking. I have had some chemistry problems with BPAL oils lately that came through in the Yule '04 batch I got, and this unfortunately was one of the ones that didn't take very nicely on me, developing a dark, wood-smoky undertone that I didn't care for. Lovely in the bottle, but sadly not a keeper.

In many ways this does exactly what it says on the tin, it smells of gingerbread. At first it's all spice but the bakery smell does come through, and it does make you feel edible. On me the baking smell went away quite quickly, but I'm not going to complain about the hot gingery scent I was left with.

Opening the bottle of gingerbread poppet should be reserved for only when you're not hungry. It's torture otherwise. :P

This is one of the most stable scents I've worn. Meaning, on me, it varies very little between bottle and skin, and it doesn't change as I wear it. It's consistently a warm, luscious gingerbread smell. On me it lasted all day, and then some.

While as a scent, I love this wholeheartedly, I must admit I find it disconcerting to smell like gingerbread all day. I think this bottle is going to be turned into incense or tarts, so I can appreciate it as a room scent.

Gingerbread Poppet Haiku,

Occupational

Hazard: Dancing on the end

Of a fox's nose.

Edited by Bard

Beautiful scent.. I've decided I officially love baked goods scents. This is definitely one that I'll have to let "age" for awhile. From other folks' aging-BPAL comments, GP gets more buttery and rich. I tried an imp but swapped it (with regrets). It was a little drier than I expected. Definitely will be aging my 5mL on the way.

Preconceived notions - I love ginger. I love gingerbread. I had high expectations for Gingerbread Poppet.

In the bottle - this smells exactly like gingerbread. Not the spices, but the bread itself. It's perfect! I smell ginger, molasses, cloves, nutmeg and a touch of cinnamon.

Wet - the same.

Dry - the same! This is perfection! It doesn't change on my skin at all. This is such a warm, comforting scent, and it lasts on my skin for a decent amount of time. As much as I like food scents, I really don't want to wear them, but this is an exception. I can see myself wearing Gingerbreak Poppet regularly.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being the best) this rates a 5.

On me this is potent and spicy, with a little bit of pepper. While i really like how it smells, i dont want to smell like cookies. I love the smell of cookies, but it makes me too hungry!

It doesn't morph on the skin at all... which i was kind of hoping it would.

I think i'll be using this as a room scent, if i use it at all.

Motherf$%cker I want to eat my arm!

My Gingerbread Poppet came in today - so excuse me while I squee. I had my doubts - knowing what straight ginger smells like, I thought it would be a weird blend that would amalgamate a few scents together. Oh hell no. I smell exactly like a gingerbread cookie. EXACTLY. There's not really any evolution to the scent, but there is a smooth mix of molasses, vanilla, sugar and (sorry for the redundancy) gingerbread.

It smells exactly like the cookies my grandmother bakes at Yuletide. I feel like a bloody oven.

God this makes me hungry.

Oh wait wait... there's the cinnamon and pinch of nutmeg.

Oh holy hell this is good.

15/10 for surpassing my expectations.

*stomach grumbles*

Bottle (Imp): Ginger snaps with ... cumin??? No wait, ground chili powder. Or cumin. Wow, I think I like this, and that sounds like it's horrible, but it's really not. Putting this on now.

Just On: Yes, it's chili powder with cumin in it, poured over gingersnap cookies. I can't keep my nose away from myself. I'm totally loving this scent. And it's not available anymore? Wahhhhhhhh!

An hour or two later: The chili powder/cumin part has faded, and it smells like gingerbread men fresh from the oven. It's wonderful. I wouldn't have minded if the chili/cumin smell had stayed, THAT might get The Mate's attention for once. But this is really sweet and nice as well.

Around 6 hours: Hmm, a little bit of the chili pepper scent is back. This one is certainly going up into the top ten of scents I love.

12 hours: Barely there ginger cookies, and I wish this could stick around forever.

Overall: It's top ten material for sure. This I would look for more bottles of if I can get them at a reasonable price. If not, I'll settle for a catalog scent that I love instead. My cat was licking my wrist, so I rather assume he liked the smell of it too.

After reading other reviews: Apparently I am the only person who gets a chili type smell out of this, but I don't mind it a bit. It must just be a blend of the spices that does it to me, because I don't think it really HAS those things, just smells like them. I agree with the others who've said they hope it comes back in 2005, because I'd buy it for sure.

In the bottle: Cinnamon dominates in the bottle, no question. There is a ginger-molasses scent, but it seems to only complement the rather overpowering cinnamon.

Wet: Wow. Where did that come from? The cinnamon instantly weakens on contact, and in its place is the scent of true gingerbread. It's not the craft-store kind of fragrance, this is... earthy. It has that rich bread smell, as opposed to even home-made cookies. This is amazing.

10 minutes until drydown: There really is no need to go into detail with a lot of phases for this one, because by this point it's pretty much what it remains. I'm saddened that the earthy scent fades slightly, but it is only slight, and the cinnamon and ginger come out beautifully on my skin. This is a rich, gourmand scent that has enough spice and depth to it to keep you from smelling like you spilled syrup on yourself.

I love Gingerbread Poppet. It's certainly a mood scent -- I don't think there's anything particularly empowering or seductive about gingerbread, after all; I do see where this one could provide some comfort and a sense of domestic security, though. It's a beautiful scent, truth be told. I'm in love.

At last! The one Yule 2004 LE that I didn't get to try, and now an imp is mine :evil laughter: I'm hoping some of the favorites will come back for *this* Yule, so now I'll know if I need a bottle of the Poppet.

Short answer: Yes!!!

Long answer: OMFG, Yes! Gingerbread Poppet smells as if Gluttony and Sugar Skull got together for a wild romp, and this is the afterglow. It smells like both, yet somehow even better. Sugar and spice and everything that makes me want to eat my arm. I *knew* this would be a keeper. If it comes back, I'm buying it. If not, I'll be stalking the swap/sales. :P

in the bottle: wonderfully spicy, exactly ike liquid gingerbread

wet on skin: glorious. still holding its scent.

dry on skin: holds up beautifully without changing all that much. unfortunately, my skin drinks this one up like its going out of style. It doesn't completely disappear, but it doesn't have the same staying power on me that other scents do.

I got this in a swap, and it arrived yesterday. I don't have to repeat the obvious, but yes, it smells exactly like gingerbread or ginger snaps. I almost went out to get ginger snaps, through the power of suggestion. :D

So I put some on this morning while my boy and I are sitting at our respective computers. The gingerbread smell was fairly strong, though I hadn't put much on. I wasn't really thinking much about it though. Later we went to lunch so I scrubbed it off, as I don't think ginger and molasses really go with falafel.

Somewhat later, in a conversation I mentioned that I had tried the Gingerbread Poppet this morning. My boy's reaction was classic (and it's the reason for this so far pointless review):

"OH! That's what that smell was! I kept thinking, 'Did she buy cookies and is hiding them from me? Why is she being so selfish?' " :P He also said it made him really hungry. I'm still chuckling over him thinking I was hoarding cookies and eating them on the sly. Such is the power of Gingerbread Poppet!

in the imp: mmmm, warm rich gingerbread.

Wet on me: pale gingerbread that someone at least 3 doors down might be baking.

Dry on me: scent stays true gingerbread, and is actually intensifying slightly. Very slightly. Fairly stable scent. Sometimes the ginger peeks out a little more, sometimes the clove.

Pardon the repetition, but it truly does smell good enough to eat. And so my skin is eating it. Ah well.

I just got this one in the mail yesterday from a swap and OMG!!!! SQUEE!!!

My first thought though was wow this smells like Shub-Niggurath (one of my loves)

until I put the two bottles together today and realized though similar they are very different (Shub is far less foodie and more

green were is GP is COOKIES!!!)

On it smells like the homemade gingerbread cookies I made once with my mom. It smells like molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger all cooked together in some heavenly goodness.

As it sits it just becomes more yummy and more joyful to my nose causing me to bounce all over the house exclaiming " Smell me! Smell Me!!" to anyone who came near. I wanted to lick my arm (no I didn't but it was hard to have restraint).

I love foodie scents so this makes me smile, I am in love. Damn LE little bottle of Gingerbread Poppet why do I have to love you so!

The first thing I smelled when I broke through the bubblewrap was Gingerbread Poppet. :D

I'd worried that it broke, but no, it really just had to speak up and announce its foody goodness above every other imp in the package.

In imp: liquid gingerbread. :P

On me, wet: Spicy goodness.

On me, drydown: gingerbread snap cookies

Stick to power: Not so high.

Verdict: I'd throw this in an oil burner and love it to death, because its foody and delicious and it just doesn't seem to glue itself to my skin.

Alas! :D

First off, thank you to requiminblack for parting with some precious... :P

I have to admit that my first thought when I opened this imp was...hunh? It didn't smell like much of anything to me and was, if anything, a bit chemically. When I sniffed the applicator and actually put a bit on, though, it was immediately *GINGERBREAD!!!* Amazing, wonderful, perfect gingerbread. How does Beth do that?!?!?!

An hour or so later it is still true, yummy baking gingerbread...I feel like it is December and I'm baking Christmas cookies.

Truth be told, this is probably not a scent that I will wear year round. One thing that this whole BPAL exploration is teaching me is that while I think of myself as liking "foody" scents, I tend to prefer scents that evocative of ingredients mixed with other things, as opposed to the finished product (Spooky is something of an exception, but then again, once the OMG-thin mint!! stage is over, it smells more like a mixture to me than a specific baked good, but I digress...)

Gingerbread Poppet is a scent I can definitely see myself reaching for in late October, when the leaves are drifting in the streets and the skies are shifting to gray and I want something warm and spicy to remind me that there are wonderful days to come yet in the year. Oh, and if it comes back again, a Poppet is absolutely sneaking into my shopping cart!