Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

2007 version

Bottle: Warm, freshly baked gingerbread cookies, still chewy and soft.
Wet: Warm cinnamon-y gingerbread. Om nom nom. Wicked strong throw.
Drydown: Still a strong throw of nommy baked goods.
Dry: Faint cinnamon, cloves, and gingerbread. Honestly, this reminds me of those Yankee Candles scents.

Would I ever wear this? Probably not.

My rating: 4/5

I hoarded and hoarded and HOARDED my 2007 bottle, let me tell you Internets, and in 2008, I mourned for a lack of GP, and 2009 I mourned for a lack of new BP, and 2010 THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING. :joy:

2010:

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

In the bottle: clove and cinnamon and nutmeg, right on the money

Wet on wrist (and hair, and neck, and arm...): Same, quite heavy on the nutmeg and cinnamon, definitely quite spicy!

On the drydown: Same, spicy and warm and delicious and I just want to cuddle up with this all the cold long winter.

Edited by AnArtfuldodger

Gingerbread Poppet 2010

in the bottle: I held this up to my parents and said "this. is. Christmas in a bottle." now my mom wants to make a gingerbread house. xDD

Fresh on: the moment it touched my skin the gingerbread practically disappeared and all I could smell was cinnamon and clove. More cinnamon though, after sneezing a few times I began to worry a bit about this particular scent because I loved the way it smelled in the bottle!

Dry down: I'm typing this after wearing it all day, it's smoothed out to a kind of distant, almost hot chocolate smell. The gingerbread made a return appearance and evened out the clove and cinnamon. It faded pretty fast though, which is sad making.

2010 version:

In bottle: mmmm mmmm yum this smells like the kitchen before Christmas - warm and spicy and foody, like someone's been in there all day baking and there's gingerbread in the oven.

On skin, it's much the same, but it does fade down quite a bit; on the other hand it holds up very well to slathering! After a few hours the spiciness fades into a subtler, creamy scent with a hint of vanilla in the background. As I type it's been 14 hours and it's much more of a skin scent, definitely noticeable and yummy if I sniff my wrist but sticking very close and quiet.

Ordered another bottle already because I know I'm going to be slathering this (and huffing my wrists all day!).

2010 Version:

Gingerbread. What a surprise! But this isn't dry, spicy gingerbread, oh no.

It's crumbly, sweet, moist gingerbread decorated with icing and powdered sugar. Wonderfully evocative, I know what I'll be wearing on Christmas Eve this year!

2010-

I initially get a strong blast of spicy cinnamon, the same type I get from Blue Pumpkin Floss which I'm sensitive to. The gingerbread thankfully fights through the strong cinnamon and the throw is mostly warm vanilla and soft, spicy gingerbread. Overall I'm really liking it, just wished it wasn't so cinnamon-heavy in the beginning.

Gingerbread Poppet 2010 - By far my favorite of the Gingerbread Poppets over the years. This one reminds me more of the 2007 version than either '04 or '05, but it doesn't have the lemon zest scent I picked up on from '07. This is a warm, fresh-baked gingerbread. It's not nearly as spicy as the earlier versions were, but there is spice that warms up the ginger. It's not overly-sweet, but it's just right. I would definitely recommend lovers of Shub and ginger in general to try this one out. :yum:

My reviews for 2004 and 2005 GP are here.

My review for 2007 GP is here.

2010: So warm in my inviting in my decant. The gingerbread is baked to perfection. Wet, the cinnamon stands out from the other spices. It's like the poppet was decorated with cinnamon heart buttons. I like this a lot and can see myself wearing it. Not my favourite spicy scent but it's very comforting and delectable. I may have to get a bottle.

To my nose, this is dead on to Gingerbread 07. I did a side by side with an imp, and I couldn't tell the difference. Both are gingerbread cookies, fresh, homemade with sugar dusted on top. I'm not a foody, but this is really yummy. Not something I'd wear regularly, but nice for a cosy evening at home by the fire.

2010 version-

So, this is my first bottle of a Yule scent, and can I just say YUM!

In the bottle this is a buttery ginger scent, soft, creamy, and warm (gingerbread dough?).

Once it's on, there's a blastwave of cinnamon (Ow, that burns!), but it softens to a warm baked ginger smell. One of my coworkers kept leaning over into my cubicle to sniff me (was kind of worried I was about to be someone's lunch). All in all, after that cinna-blast, this is a terrific scent! I think I need another bottle or two! >:D

Exactly what it says on the tin...yes, yes indeed, this is gingerbread. But it’s actually, to my nose, deep and spicy and not overly sweet, kinda like Saw-Scaled Viper without the Snake Oil.

Wow. I feel like I just dumped the contents of my baking spice rack all over myself. It actually doesn’t smell particularly cakey at all, just potently spicy, with a little bit of sweetness. It's like you've mixed up the spices and brown sugar for the gingerbread, but haven't baked it yet, or something? I dunno. I love this, though! I don't know why I had never tried this before.

2010 version.

I got this in a decant circle, and I ADORE this scent. At first this is just sweet, sweet gingerbread on me, which is wonderful. Then it goes through the cinnamon phase - though to me it REALLY smells like those Atomic Fireball candies, and I LOVED those as a kid, so I was okay with that, too. Dried down, it smells like a combination of the Atomic Fireball and the sweet gingerbread - not really fighting each other, but lazily dancing and taking turns leading. Love it, love it, and WILL be buying a bottle!

I wore this one first out of my decants yesterday to breakfast with the man. I couldn't get over how much i smelled like actual gingerbread. I was huffing my wrists incessantly. After a while it toned down and was very gingerbread cookie. I kind of wish some of the other spices had a longer time on stage after the cinnamon, but that won't stop me from slathering it!

4.5/5

It's official. If cinnamon is at all present in a scent, I will not smell anything else. All I get from this is Big Red gum. Terribly disappointing. Cinnamon = Doom.

In bottle: Cinnamon dominant gingerbread, pretty much exactly as promised. Wet: The baked goods and ginger qualities come out more and push dowen the cinnamon to the point where it’s just barely strongest. The nutmeg and clove have a little more room to move and provide good support to the other spices. Dry: Still cinnamon dominant. Other elements soften and blur, but last in there diminished state.

This review is for the 2010 version.

Do note that previous years' versions have not worked on my skin all that well. So here goes nothing! :)

In the decant: Yummy gingerbread with those perfect-for-autumn-and-winter spices.

Wet: Still the lovely spices, but the gingerbread is trying to grow stale and cold. :( This is what it's done in previous years.

The dry-down: Later, most of the gingerbread itself has disappeared, leaving only the spices behind. I was so hopeful, too. Yet another one for the scent locket. My skin chemistry must dislike the Lab's gingerbread note with a passion. Bah.

ETA: to put in the specific year's version.

Edited by thekittenkat

(2010 version)

When wet, this has an overwhelming butter scent that makes me gag a bit. Similar to the butter scent in other BPAL foody blends, but much stronger. Luckily this goes away quickly after application. Sharp cinnamon and ginger then come out. And stay out. This is practically a cinnamon single note on me :cry2: Off to the swaps...

I have the 2010 version.

Bottle: Gingerbread! Spices and sweetness ahoy!

Wet: Spices and a touch of something sweet

Drydown: This really just smells super spicy and gingery and delicious. It's a bit drier on me than on other people it seems, though.

Dry: Straight up gingerbread, warm from the oven. No one note stands out in particular, this is just pure gingerbready goodness.

Love love love this. So glad I bought a half bottle :).

2010 Version

Smells remarkably like Mother Ginger. Probably all the gingerbread thing going on. I got more spices from this one. It’s okay, but not something I’d use. Pass.

2010 Gingerbread Poppet - this is my first BPAL review, so here goes:

In the bottle - Amazingly delicious gingerbread, I can't really smell anything but the gingerbread itself in there.

Wet - On my skin it's very much the same, just warmer somehow and a bit less buttery than in the bottle.

Drydown - The spices are really coming out now, but it's hard to distinguish between them, they're too well blended, it's definitely not just cinnamon though. Still with delicious warm gingerbread underneath. I can't stop smelling my wrist, I really love this. After a while the gingerbread seems to amp up and cover up the spices again.

I'm so glad I got half a bottle of this, it's a keeper for me and I see myself needing more of it at some point too.

2010 version

Imp: Spicy, buttery gingerbread batter.

Wet: Sugar, spices...heavy on the clove, and ginger. It's lick-off-the-spoon good.

Dry: It started to turn Red Hots cinnamon on me, but there was no rash that I usually get with cinnamon.

The end result was more cinnamon candy than the initial buttery spicy batter. It would make a great holiday room scent.

Gingerbread Poppet 2010

In the bottle: Sweet, foody goodness. Other reviewers have mentioned Gluttony, and the comparison is valid. Gluttony had more of a caramel/chocolate/gooey note, but for sheer edible sweetness, the two are quite similar. If sweet foody is not your thing, run far, far away, but I'm a little excited. I like foody.

Wet: On my skin, the spice is much more prominent. It's not the same kind of ginger as say, Kumiho or Baobhan Sith - there's no sharp edges to Gingerbread Poppet, just warm spiciness.

Dry: It's been a few hours since I put it on, and I've washed my hands quite enthusiastically a few times. (I had to debone a chicken, and the greasy feeling drives me crazy.) So, after three hours and about four handwashings, I can still smell Gingerbread Poppet if I sniff carefully. At this point, it's a sweet, faintly spiced vanilla, of the foody persuasion. It has to have a truly impressive throw, to last this long, and I approve of the scent that remains.

Verdict: Again, if foody or sweet is not your thing, then Gingerbread Poppet is not for you, but I like both, and I'll be looking into getting another bottle in the Yules to come.

(i can't find a review that i've written for this one so i'm assuming that i haven't reviewed it yet)

2010 version

i've developed this weird obsession with smelling like gingerbread. i'm not certain what it is about heavily spiced baked goods that have caused it to become my holy grail in fall and winter scents but the past 18 months have been spent searching everywhere for a scent that'll meet my needs. i haven't tried any of the gingerbread poppet scents but i was willing to try a half decant with the idea in the back of my mind that i was going to automatically need to rush out and get a bottle, budget be damned.

unfortunately the poppet didn't bake through in the oven and i had a glob of eggy, bready, vaguely ginger smelling mess on my wrist. i put the imp away hoping that it was a combination of age and stress that did it; we had totaled the front of my car the week my decants came in and everything was smelling weird.

i pulled the imp out today...and discovered that not only had the blend stayed just as raw, it invited play doh over for the party and they both have somehow managed to go stale at the same time. i'm certain on the right person this would be a beautiful blend and i may try even older versions, but right now i smelled like i rolled in the gingerbread batter bowl and then just wandered around for awhile.

Reviewing the 2010 version.

Bottle: Delicious gingerbread! Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg, all there. Maybe even some cardamom.

Wet: Spicy and fruity.

Dry: Somehow a note of cinnamon plums appears. Very dark, deep and fruity. I have had plum cake with cinnamon streusel this morning, and.. my wrist smells just like that! wub2.gif The clove is also a strong note in this one, and I find that just lovely! Dare I say this is a dark version of March Hare on me?