Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

Well, it is cool enough today to wear this :D , but on the good side, I get to wear gingerbread poppet :P This is the most gorgeous, spicy ginger scent. My fave part, however is about an hour after application. It is this beautiful, indescribable scent, don't know what it is, but it is so sexy, warm. Kind of a snake oil effect, but not quite. Love this, and glad that I have a bottle.

I just opened my '07 bottle today to see how age has treated it and was very pleasantly surprised. It's rounded out really well. Not that I didn't like it when I first got it, but now I can smell the nutmeg and stuff a lot more. It makes me want a nice, moist slice of gingerbread now. The perfect thing to warm up to on a brisk autumn day.

Gingerbread Poppet 2007

Delicious gingerbread cookies. It starts off very spicy, and almost unsweetened at first.

Gingerbread Poppet has the ability to instantly envelope you in warmth. I swear at the beginning I detect coconut, but it it could just be the reaction of the spices and gingerbread.

After dry down, it morphs into a spicy, buttery, gingerbread cookie. However, as delicious as it is, this is another foody oil that doesn't last very long. Within the hour it has completely disappeared, so it's a blend I have to reapply constantly.

In the imp: liquid gingerbread batter, spices on top

Wet on skin: molasses and cinnamon with a vanilla note

Dry: a fog of baked gingerbread with incensy smoke around the edges

There is plenty of spice to go around in this one. After an hour, it does settle nicely into a comforting blend of baked gingerbread, the incense gives it a hint of something sinister. At two hours, it is still spicy and much more rounded. Still warm and delectable.

:P

In the imp...spicy ginger....it smells strongly of gingersnaps vs. gingerbread. Drydown this smells wonderful....it smells like fresh baked gingerbread :P So glad I have an imp of this....I think I will have to wear this over the holidays and during christmas parties!

This is the 2007 version

The only reason I got this one was because...well, I could. I dont actually like to eat gingerbread but I love the scent so I figured I would try. GINGERBREAD POPPET IS LOVE :heart: I really enjoy it and its not overwhelmingly foodie. It is very similiar to Shrubniggerath (ah! spelling!) but I prefer the Poppet ;) 5/5

I've been wanting a bottle of Gingerbread Poppet but like a dummy I didn't purchase one last year. When I saw it on ebay, well...resistance was futile!

In the bottle: Straight up ginger and cinnamon... like fresh gingerbread out of the oven.

On skin wet: the cinnamon really amps on my skin and it's very warming. Good for crisp winter days, like a swig o'scotch ;) The ginger is still there, thankfully, adding it's beautiful additional spice.

Dry-down: It's still beautiful, cinnamony gingerbread hours later. I love ginger-scented anything and this is no exception!

4/5

I swapped for two imps of this and I'm disappointed; I'll try to age them, but right now they are just way too much cinnamon on me; I smell like a walking cinnamon potpourri bag...not lovely :(

It's not like I wasn't around the forum during in the years that Gingerbread Poppet was offered, but I'm not a foody fan and cinnamon and my skin don't agree, so I always ignored it. Fool that I was.

Last week I was frimped a sniffie of GP, and there was a bit of the oil in the bottom of the imp. It was an abnormally cool summer day and it smelled so good to me that I swiped some on my wrist. Then I fell in love. What a warm, wonderful, comfort scent this is -- foody, yet not too foody. And since the dregs of this imp are at least approaching 2 years old, it's aged into a spicy, buttery scent (with a touch of vanilla mellowness?) that is sweet but not cloying. It smells like fall and comfort and cool brisk days. I put a bit more on yesterday and was stricken with rigor wrist-to-the-nose-itis. It is just that lovely.

Not having smelled the fresh-from-the-Lab version of this scent, I'm unable to compare new GP to aged GP, but I am happy to report the aged version is a thing of beauty. It led me on a hunting expedition on the forum and I actually tracked down a partial bottle, to my great joy. It won't be an everyday scent for me, but it will be utter perfection on the right kind of autumn day. I fervently hope that the Lab brings it back this Yule season so I can buy a couple of bottles and tuck them away for aging. **fingers crossed**

My bottle is the '07 version: First on this doughy. Really doughy, and it makes me think of gingerbread batter before it goes in the oven. There's so much bread in the gingerbread at this point that I find myself wondering if actual gingerbread has yeast in it or not, because that aspect of it is very strong when this is fresh.

As it dries down, the ginger, cinnamon, and other spices really explode on my skin (they always kinda do). It's almost like chai, except that the bread note keeps it from being anything remotely tea-ish. The bread part is gone by the 30 minute mark though, and it turns to pure spicy goodness. It's very sweet and warm, I could imagine wearing this often in the winter. It's the kind of comfort smell that I know will get a lot of compliments later in the year.

I'm glad I have a bottle to experiment with... this will layer well with my vanilla-scented body butters, methinks.

This is for the '05 edition, courtesy of the DD July trunk show.

In the bottle: Just like gingerbread, with all the spices! Yum!

Wet: Ready to eat my wrist! The clove and the cinnamon are strong, but the ginger of the gingerbread is the top note.

The dry-down: Still a lovely scent, but getting a subtle dusty note now--perhaps is just from all the spices? I wish this would stay as good on my skin as it was in the bottle, where it was foodie heaven. If I really want to amp gingerbread, I may have to try this in a scent locket. It's changed from fresh-baked to cooled-down gingerbread, still yummy, but you know it's better when it's just come out of the oven. Nevertheless, this is going to get some wear, not just around the winter holidays, but anytime I need to sniff that wonderful ginger note.

I'll make a suggestion and say that this should return for the next Yule update.

Dear Gingerbread Poppet 2005,

Why must you smell so gloriously delicious? Warm and spicy, with just the slightest hint of a perfect bourbon vanilla. I'm afraid to wear you because of how much you'll increase my chances of being eaten alive. I can't not wear you because because this heavenly aroma strongly emanating from my body parts is cutting right through all the tension stored in my muscles and I feel almost high. Gingerbread Poppet, you're a gateway drug cunningly disguised as a perfume.

Love,

MoonstoneMama

I've tried 04 & 05, 05 was sweeter and had a more maple smell. They both are spicy with some sweetness.

07 version.

Oh, good god, this is wonderful. Why haven't I tried this earlier? I think I thought, "Eh, it'll probably be all clove and cinnamon and I already have stuff like that," but this is dead on gingerbread. Not buttery or heavy, but dry, crumbly gingerbread with the tiniest bit of grainy sugar and powdered cinnamon on top. It's quite sheer and even slightly musky-- I feel like some foody blends can seem "out of place" on a person's skin, but not this one. :wub:

If Gingerbread Poppet makes an 09 return (in a day or two!), I will absolutely get a bottle.

Edited by Aldercy

This is the 2007 oil (Just for the record).

Ok, this oil does what it says on the tin!! It's ginger and spice and warm smelling when it's first applied. Then, the cinnamon bursts out and becomes the main note for a while which I find a bit too much.

The dry stage is the most pleasant and realistic stage. It really does smell like sweet gingerbread...this would be lovely in an oil burner. I can smell the sugaryness of the oil.,

YUM!!

This is for the 2007 version.

In the bottle: Very much gingerbread and those yummy spices.

Wet: The cinnamon has taken off in a huge way! I hope it calms down.

The dry-down: I'm rather disappointed in this version. It's more like the dry ingredients for making gingerbread are sitting out on a table, and I've just measured out too much cinnamon. If testing on the bf doesn't work, this is probably off to the swaps pile. :( I'll try a re-test another day. Or just put it in the scent locket, as it smells wonderful in the bottle.

When I first got a bottle of this in '07, I loved it in the bottle. But on me, it did this weird morphing thing and smelled kind of bitter, sour, something that is just not good. (This was after an hour or so of wear.) But I dug this out the other day because it was freezing and I was just going to sniff it because sniffing warm foody things is comforting, you know? But it had aged so well! Just lovely and warm and I could see the gingerbread lined up on the counter waiting to be decorated. Of course I had to give this another go-round. And oh man, I'm so glad I did. I smelled like amazing cookies all day. This, combined with Villainess's Gingersnapped whipped, and it was very difficult to not gnaw off my own arm. ;) Got lots of compliments, too, which is always nice. But yes: gorgeous and spicy and warm and foody. Shall definitely be using my bottle sparingly and reserving it for special occasions.

'07 Blend

In the bottle, this smells like spicy gingerbread. I can't wait to see how this goes on my skin. Stays as wonderfully spicy gingerbread. I likes.

Edited by Venneh

Having recieved my bottle of Gingerbread Poppet '07 in the mail today, I slathered this on because I have been highly anticipating this one!

Yeaaah, this is HELLA good!!!! It's like Butter Rum Cookie (sans the rum) and Pickled Imp smashed into each other, which of course is impossible since GP came before those two, but still....

After awhile it becomes a soft spice that stays close to the skin. I'm going to use this in my scent locket constantly this winter.

If you like spicy and a twinge of foody, seek this out!

In the imp: mmm, gingerbread and butter and nutty.

Wet: Oh, look, it's a clove on my arm. Le sigh.

Dry: same. Off to swap!

This is pure gingerbread! I think I prefer Invasion of the Flesh Eating Reindeer more than this one, it's a little stronger. Compared to Reindeer, this is the lighter version with less spices.

This smells like well....gingerbread. Exactly like gingerbread. If that's what you're going for, then you'll achieve it with this scent. It doesn't morph on me at all, just gently fades after a few hours. I think it'll be a nice scent to wear on occasion, but not really my favorite. I'll enjoy my imp but probably won't go after more. I like my foodie scents to have a bit more depth.

ETA: 2007 version.

Edited by talula_fairie