Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

<div class="bpal" style="background-color:transparent; border: 1px dotted #000033; color: #000099; padding: 5px; width: 90%; align:center;margin:0 auto 0 auto"><i>Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.<!-- bpal scent end --></i></div>

HOLY HELL!

How did Elizabeth get FRESHLY BAKED gingerbread in this teeny bottle???

It's so spicy and yummy, but not as foody as I thought it might be. A true masterpiece! The spiciness is complex to me and it's sweet without being overly sweet. Makes me wish I lived up north and was inside next to a cozy fire, inhaling this scent deeply, snuggled under a blanket!

ETA:

I reacted very badly to this one - red welts EVERYWHERE. Did this happen to anyone else? :P

Edited by violetblue

Gingerbread Poppet 2004

:P *bows to Beth's Genius*

Now, for some reason, I expected Gingerbread Poppet to be my least favorite of the yules that I ordered. I figured it'd be nice and that I'd love it, but that it would be blown away by the others. What a shocker to find that it's one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I don't know that I can choose one over the other, but I do know that Gingerbread Poppet is bottled happiness. It's warm, spicey gingerbread to the point of perfection. I wore it layered over MMU's Gingerbread Latte the other day and I just wanted to curl up in the scent-if such a thing were possible. It's simply delicious and smelling it makes me smile every single time. It tends to make everyone else happy too. Though ... it's disconcerting to have random people tell me that they want to eat me up. *blink* LOL Anyway, Gingerbread Poppet is a definate winner and guaranteed to make you feel warm, happy, and loved. :D

Gingerbread, gingerbread, Gingerbread. This is less sweet than I thought it would be and a little more spicey, but still very very yummy and a dead ringer for the actual thing. The clove and spice are more predominant as this dries down but there are still hints of nutmeg. Gorgeous, yummy, and everyone keeps thinking something is baking as I walk by :P

Gingerbread poppet is so dead on. The spicyness dominates at first. after a while this becomes bakery goodness. I must slather this all over, use it as a room scent and bathe in it. I'm a sucker for foody-spicy scents, and this is just perfect.

In the bottle: The gingerbread smelled a bit artificial and overly strong.

On my wrist: All my concerns disappeared. This scent is exactly like real gingerbread cookies. It is warm and natural and sweet.

The scent remained strong for a good four hours or so before it started to fade.

Gingerbread Poppet is just gorgeous. I really love it. I find it doesn't change much from the scent to my skin - except that on my skin there is an initial peppery note that makes me want to cough or something. It's not sweet, more spicey and it's very festive.

I must admit to ordering Gingerbread Poppet purely to see how close it would be to the real thing. I had little hope that it would be wearable as a perfume.

When I first opened the imp, I was once again impressed with the accuracy of Beth's rendition of an actual scent. It was spicy, buttery, familiar and terribly comforting. In fact, I don't know if I have ever had the pleasure of meeting a gingerbread cookie that smelled that good. Delicious :P

As an added bonus, Gingerbread Poppet is of course a sweet scent, but it is never cloying. It is almost as if I can smell the icing on the cookie: it is sugary, but it is just on the surface, like a thin dusting.

After savouring this mouth-watering scent in the imp, I decided to apply it. O divine surprise! Not only is it absolutely wearable, it is actually even more gorgeous on my skin! Creamy, soft, spicy... this is wonderful.

I could bathe in Gingerbread Poppet! I want to smell like this all the time! No, wait, I have to make time to wear Snow White too... :D

My bottle of Gingerbread Poppet is very similar to the imp that I aquired from ChupaChup earlier this summer. However, this bottle is much stronger on the ginger + nutmeg + cinnamon and less strong on the molasses + cookie notes that I loved so much. It is a nice compliment to Villainess's Gingersnapped soap and Smooch.

I have to agree with you t3andcrumpets, especially since we are comparing it to the same 2003 imp. My new Gingerbread poppet is much spicier, with less of the molasses and butter of the old version. It's still yummy gingerbread, but maybe the low fat, low carb version :P ?

Mmm. This is the "yum inducer" that I'd hoped Sugar Cookie would be.

It's heavenly nutmeg and a touch of baked dough. :P It's even got that slight bite that true gingerbread has...I assume that's clove & cinnamon in there.

I slathered this on. This says alot, as due to the usual potency of BPAL oils I've never slathered.

Gingerbread Poppet

Initial Impression

Smells like baking gingerbread, warm and cozy. Lots molasses, ginger, and clove coming from this, but incredibly sweet. It makes my mouth water...

Wearing It

When I first put this on, it maintains the straight scent of gingerbread. Some of the spices, such as the cinnamon and clove, try to rise straight to the top, giving it a much spicier scent (which I love); so much so that it smells like a sweeter version of Villainess' Ginger Snapped soap. Then, as it dries, it mellows out a little and the vanilla and molasses begin to pick up strength. By the time this scent truly settles (about 15 minutes into wearing it), it smells like gingerbread chai tea. Lots of vanilla, ginger, and spice, mixing with the scent of milk and molasses. On my skin it's a bit more sugary than the home-made gingerbread cookies that I make, but just as delicious smelling.

Edited by hypothermya

In the Bottle: Warm, hot gingerbread cookies, the thick and chewy kind with lots of nutmeg!

On Me: Mmmm...still that wonderful gingerbread smell with lots of nutmeg, vanilla, and maybe just a hint of cinnamon. I smell like I've been baking all day! This is delicious and I want to just devour my wrists at this point. I'm gonna slather in it and thank my lucky stars that I got this one. This is one that I could stand putting on the lightbulbs and burning in the incense burner.

ohmygoodness! this stuff is SO fabulous! I opened the bottle to sniff and was overwhelmed with yummy gingerbread goodness!

as mentioned in the "for what it's worth" thread... putting this stuff on 5-10 minutes after taking a shower is a baaaaaad idea, though. my poor neck!

this is one potent scent and it lasted for ages wearing it.. i think i got a good 6-7 hours at full strength, and then it faded into a more generic sort of cookie scent that was still quite yummy.

Tabitha gives it 2 thumbs up!

In defence of this review, I do have extremely funky skin chemistry and I have a huge slab of well-matured British gingerbread lurking in Area 51 (aka the food stash cupboard).

In the bottle, Gingerbread Poppet smells very clovey and very much like Jack did in the bottle. I'm not really sure about it.

Once onto my skin, all other notes are shoved mercilessly to one side in favour of clove. *sigh*

I was expecting something very dark, heavy and treacly, with a bite of ginger and pepper (akin to the gingerbread in my cupboard). On my skin, I got something closer to Printen from Aachen, Germany, which is not so sticky or sweet, is much lighter both in colour and texture, and definitely has more clove than ginger.

Just to compound my misery at Gingerbread Poppet not suiting me at all, my skin decided to have a huge reaction to one of the spice oils and I looked like I had big scratchmarks over my arm for about an hour. Bah. Off with you to PinkPig and I hope you play nicer with her.

Oh man... funny story.

In the bottle, Gingerbread Poppet gave me a sort-of "One, two, PUNCH" because of how strong it was. I think this would be a great thing diluted more, for me to wear. I used it once or twice as a home fragrance, but since my bottle didn't come with the reducer, erm, I got a bit clumsy and had a LOT of the oil spill on my hand. Yegads!

My cat was nearby, and... well... I kind of wiped my hand off at the nape of her neck. So Isosceles, my cat, was running around smelling like GP for DAYS!

It smelled quite nice on the cat, and worked well as a home fragrance, but as something for me to wear on my skin, it wasn't my thing. It was too strong and it actually made my tummy do a turn. But, that said, I will likely keep what I've got left of the bottle, seeing as how I've dumped around a third of it or so already, plus it's a rather nice home fragrance, providing I get a dropper or something to distribute it.

-doreen

In the bottle it's absolutely fabu -- rich and spicy and exactly what I was hoping for! I've no idea how Beth does it, but I'm in awe of her genius!

On me, it was lovely for the first 10 minutes.

And then suddenly it turned into vaguely spicy baby powder. :P

Alas.

Cats

Oh my god....LOVE. I want to drown in this stuff it's so perfectly yummy. Warm, sweet, spicey goodness that stays very true from bottle to skin. I hope this one makes continual visits at Yule time.

I was very excited when I found this in my mailbox today. So for the past 5 or so hours I keep going back to obsessively sniff the bottle of this stuff. It is magical, true, liquified ideal gingerbread.

I was worried how "cookie-ish" this would smell on me, but it is glorious. For about 10 minutes I smell like a better version of Yankee Candle's Harvest, then the spices sort themselves out and calm down. The nutmeg and a touch of cinnamon are most predominant. After about an hour the spices have really gone to the background, leaving this wonderful thick molasses smell. As time goes on it gets more mellow and smooth with more and more vanilla coming out. Utterly scrumptious. I'm very pleased with how good every stage smells on me, I just wish it would last a little longer. Now to see how well it layers with my Urban Decay Cream & Sugar scrub. :P

This is the scent that inspired my yule LE aging project in the first place.

On my skin, it's almost gingerbread cookies, but it's just too damn sharp. It's almost green, like fresh ginger. I liked it, but I felt like it was all pointy where it should be more rounded.

It's now sitting in a nice dark box, and I'll let you all know around march how the pointiness is going.

Oh, and it lasts all. day. long.

To me, this is the most gingerbready of gingerbread scents. It's beautiful, cozy, and comforting. Too bad I haven't any cannibalistic tendencies...

After sniffing (hording, really) the bottle, my husband had this to say,

"OH MY GOD.... how do they DO that?!!!! I swear, it smells squishy , like real, warm, melt-in-your-mouth gingerbread!"

So there you have it. It's beautiful, cozy, comforting, spicy, warm and SQUISHY.

Spicy hot ginger and clove. Whooeee. It's starting to make the top of my hand itch, so I don't think I'll venture to more tender skin with this one. I can be a bit sensitive with spices sometimes...

Eep, 5 minutes later, it's really burning. Will have to wash it off.... ssssssss....ahhh. That's better....

Didn't get it all off and it's left a light red welt. It will soon calm down, I can still smell very strong spice though. Ginger, clove and cinnamon are predominant.

Maybe, erm, I should try this as a room scent! Okay, 3 drops in my burner. Let's see what happens.

Sigh. It smells exactly the same. And in the scent locket. Very nice, but it's mostly spice! I was hoping for more cakey/bread and a little sugar along with that spice.

Okay, I've found a way to wear it. If I put it on very softly (only a mini ini, teeny weeny eeny bit), it's very warm...just like a delicious piece of moist gingerbread – but the breadiness is fleeting. And I have to be careful, because that little bit too much and my skin just cannae take it! I think this one will be mostly a room scent me.

This blend is sheer delight in a bottle. Very warming and comforting. Smells exactly like a Gingerbread Latte from Starbucks. It's sad that it is a LE... this would really brighten my spirits in the hot sticky summer of the south...

Preconceived notions:

According to Pekeana, Gingerbread Poppet is even better than Villainess' Ginger Snapped smooch, which smells so good I have to stop myself from eating it, so I'm really looking forward to trying this one. :P

First sniff:

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was Ginger Snapped! This smells almost identical to it. It's a gorgeous soft gingerbread cookie smell, heavy on the cinnamon and cloves. This smells so unbelieveably good...I could sit here and smell it all day. I don't normally care for foody scents, but Gingerbread Poppet is pure olfactory bliss. :D

Wet on skin:

I smell the "cookie" portion of Gingerbread Poppet now. Whereas in the bottle it was more spices than cookie, when it's wet on my skin, it's more cookie than spices. I smell nutmeg very strongly now, too, especially when I put my nose right up against my wrist. It's that dry, spicy, almost bitter smell that I know so well from helping my mom bake cookies when I was little. :D

Dry down:

Mmm, all I smell are the spices now. The cookie portion of the scent seems to have disappeared, which is fine because I love spicy scents as much as I love the smell of gingerbread. Gingerbread Poppet smells like my kitchen does when I'm making gingerbread cookies...like the cinnamon and nutmeg and clove when all the containers are open and their smells are mixing together. This is a very warm, cozy smell that I can easily see myself wearing all year-round. :D

The bottom line:

This is gorgeous in all its stages from bottle to dry-down. I can definitely see myself wearing this regardless of the season. :D

Initial Impression:

Gingerbread from heaven, gloriously foody

After Wearing It:

First on, Gingerbread was very hot and very spicy. I could definitely smell the ginger and the spices, but it didn't smell quite sweet enough to qualify as foody. It was like that hot rush of spices you might experience upon first opening the oven to check on a pan on baking gingerbread. Your senses are overwhelmed by the heat coming from the oven that you can only make out the strongest of notes.

Overtime though, the ginger backs off slowly and the blend gets sweeter and rounder, becoming the scent of fresh baked gingerbread cookies that I hoped it would be. This is a very lovely and comforting smell and lasts for a while. Serves for a wonderful replacement for cookies if you can't have the real thing!

Final Thoughts:

Lovely! I love the smell of gingerbread so I was really pleased with this one. Can't wait to try it as a room scent!

This was...eh, so-so for me.

Quite sharp, nice and gingery and the way it's supposed to be in the bottle.

On me, it turned...a little sharper, and a little tarter. I could have used some more sweetness at that point, because it was only ginger. Still not bad, but...only eh. But ginger doesn't much care for me, I've found, so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

I took LongsToFly's advice and layered it with Egg Nog-- THEN it was quite nice. Still gingery, but with the sweetness I needed to enjoy it more. Now I can finish my imps of both scents with a clear conscience.

loooovely! Smells just like those gingerbread candles, i.e. a bit too artificial to be real gingerbread, but that's just the way I like it. Very warm and spicy, makes me feel cozy and nice.

Very glad I swapped for this!