Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Limited Edition, Winter 2003 -

GINGERBREAD POPPET
Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

That delicious gingerbread note in Gluttony? This is the original.

Spicy, delectable, and just like walking into your grandmother's house at the holidays, Gingerbread Poppet will make you want to nibble on yourself - or better yet, make someone else want to nibble on you.

Not overwhelmingly sweet or artificial in the least, and very nearly edible; this isn't your craft-store gingerbread potpourri scent. True and yummy!

I also adore it! So buttery and warm, perfect for snuggling at bedtime. It's delicious, round, a deep russett feeling of closed doors to keep in warmth against the cold, loving arms and mouth-watering food simmering for later.

How I wish this one was a year-round oil and not a limited edition!

Fairywingmaker was so sweet to decant an imp of this for me to try :P At first it smelled very much like Gluttony but calmed down quickly and was not nearly as sweet and strong. The ginger emerges and it starts to smell just like real, homemade gingerbread cookies, molasses and all. This is a perfect fall or holiday scent, I love it.

*dead in love*

In the vial, Gingerbread Poppet smells exactly like the gingerbread cakes and cookies that my grandma used to make me -- it's soft & sweet and just divine.

This is also the first BPAL scent I've tried that stays exactly true to the original scent. On my skin, it's exactly the same as it was in the vial.

I really hope Beth brings this one back again sometime, because it's just to die for. :P

This is my review for the 2004 version of Gingerbread Poppet, and I hope this is in the right spot! If not, feel free to move it.

When I first put on Gingerbread Poppet it was a little spicy, but had all the homebake goodness of gingerbread cookies. Now that it's dry, it's not spicy anymore... just the gingerbread smell is lingering.

It's so good!!!

Wet

Wow, at first I smelled good spicy masala mix. Now I smell alot of ginger, it's almost like pepper.

The sweeter food-y qualities are coming out a bit, but not as much as I'd like. It's not quite as sweet as I'd like but that's just me. It is most definitely a REAL gingerbread smell.

10 minutes

I feel as though i should duck flying objects when I say that I don't know that this blend is for me. I believe it's my chemistry that turns it up to "11" and it's a bit to harsh.

20 minutes

It has great staying power I'll say that. I can smell the lovely sweet strong gingerbread scent at times but it just gets twisted around by my crazy chemistry.

76698820.jpg

Yeah...I don't know what the heck my problem was with Gingerbread Poppet back then a year ago but I do indeed love Gingerbread Poppet currently.

In the bottle

A subtle gingerspice.

On

Mmmm. It's gingerbread cookies.

Is it just me or is it not as strong smelling as the 2004 blend? I could smell it all day. Oddly cinnamon no matter how strong reddens nor burns my skin. Ginger however does burn a bit but doesn't turn my skinr ed. The smell is addictive.

30 minutes

It's got pretty good lasting power too, it's been on for an hour now. It hasn't morphed at all.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Spicy/Foody

Summary

It smells just like the best gingerbread you've ever smelled and real.

Purchase again?

Yes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

At first, Gingerbread Poppet was much like Three Witches on me -- all strong spice. This kind of worried me because dry, spicy scents make me nauseous. GP was more like all of the bakery spices you could pull out of your cabinet, all mixed together. I am ecstatic to report that Gingerbread Poppet is becoming sweeter and sweeter as it wears on -- I love it! If I become impatient waiting for the sweet stage, I'm sure this will be amazing with Dana O'shee.

Now please excuse me while I lick my wrists off.

Gingerbread Poppet 2004 is definitely a true, spicy gingerbread smell. I think I like it best in the bottle or in my oil burner, only because my skin amps up the spicy notes and it becomes overpowering no matter now little I use. It is a lovely holiday blend, nonetheless!

If you are sensitive to cinnamon oils, you may need to use caution with this one. I definitely got the trademark "cinnamon tingle" from Gingerbread Poppet!

This is total, perfect gingerbread on me. Warm, buttery, gingery, spicy...I could eat my wrist. And it's strong - my husband asked, "The only gingerbread thing in here right now is you, right?" And it lasts. In other words, a perfect scent. :P

I think it would also be really nice as a room scent, especially around Christmas. Imagine people coming in to your house for a party and smelling pure gingerbread...

2004 Edition

In the bottle: Yummy gingerbread. How does Beth do that?

Wet: Cinnamon red-hots. Since I had this experience with Sugar Cookie, once again I am very confused.

Drydown: The spices remain pretty strong. I can smell the gingerbread in the background, but it's being smacked around by the spices.

Final thoughts: This isn't as balanced as Sugar Cookie on my skin. I'm going to give this a few more goes to see if it takes better, but I may end up offering decants since I don't think I like this as much as Sugar Cookie on me.

This stuff smells amazingly, perfectly, like warm gingerbread. Not just the spices associated with gingerbread, but gingerbread itself - squishy and moist and mmm. It's full of spice and that keeps it from being too sweet. I wasn't sure if I would want to smell like gingerbread, but it also wears really well - I was really surprised. It makes me feel warm and comfortable. It's a very cozy scent.

I tried it in my new oil burner, and it was really great in that as well.

The best way for me to review this is to give you an example of some of the comments I heard when I wore it.

I walked downstairs: "MMMMM, you smell good! Just like hot gingerbread."

I went to the store: "Oh, what are you wearing? You smell so good."

At the dry cleaners: "Someone smells GOOD!"

In line at Sears: "Is someone baking? It smells just like gingerbread cookies. Have you had lunch? I'm hungry."

When I put on my bathrobe: (This is me thinking to myself.) "This smells so nice! What was I wearing? Oh yeah, GINGERBREAD POPPET!!"

Update: After a while, this just got to be too much for me. A little is nice but I got tired of smelling it everywhere I went. It seemed to completely overwhelm everything else around me. Eventually, I couldn't wear it at all. The compliments were nice but I just didn't like the pervasiveness of the blend.

On the other hand, this is soooo popular that I swapped my two bottles for some great stuff!

Edited by Red_Hot_Mama

My bottle of Gingerbread Poppet is very similar to the imp that I aquired from ChupaChup earlier this summer. However, this bottle is much stronger on the ginger + nutmeg + cinnamon and less strong on the molasses + cookie notes that I loved so much. It is a nice compliment to Villainess's Gingersnapped soap and Smooch.

I *love* Gingerbread Poppet so much. I was a little nervous about how much cinnamon it would have in it, but it turns out that my fears were ungrounded. When I got my Yule order this is the first one i had to try. It had me running around like a lunatic saying to my roommates "Sniff me; I smell like a gingersnap". And indeed I did. :P

Edited by omly

at first: definitely gingerbread, but not overly sweet like cookies. more like ginger biscuits one would have with tea. i'm not sure i'll like this on.

on: not sweet. just gingerbread. it burned my neck a bit when i put it on, but i should know better than to apply spicy oils in sensitive areas.

1.5 hours later: so spicy and wonderful. i really like this.

4 hours later: this is still really strong. i can smell it wafting around me. it's very warm, but not too heavy. very festive. i love the spiciness of it. it's great.

7.5 hours later: still strong, but staying closer to my skin now.

overall: wonderful! i'm so glad i bought this. i'm also really happy that it isn't sweet. a great, festive scent.

First Impression: Yes, it is gingerbread.

Second Impression: How did she do it? It smells so dead on, it's amazing.

Final Analysis: It doesn't last long, not at all. But while it does, it's wonderful. A keeper.

Gingerbread Poppet

Swiped across wrists and along collarbone.

Initial Wet (8-8:30am): Oh yeah, this is gingerbread. Warm, nummy gingerbread with just a hint of cinnamon.

Initial Dry (8:30-10am): The nutmeg is certainly making itself known now. I get a hint of spicy goodness underneath the gingerbread and the nutmeg. OMG this is delicious!

Throughout the Day (10am-on): This is the scent of baking X-Mas cookies – the warm, inviting scent of X-Mas.

Long-lasting as well. It is 3:30pm and I am still surrounded by the warm scent of spicy gingerbread. Every once in a while the gingerbread is accompanied by clove, nutmeg or cinnamon – almost like they each take their individual turns to shine in the spotlight.

Truly Nummy!

This is yummy, natural, home-baked gingerbread. No synthetic smells here, this smells exactly like a warm winter kitchen full of freshly baked things. It's incredibly comforting and is probably the only thing that kept me sane on a hellish 5 hour flight yesterday. I love this. It doesn't morph much on me and the cinnamon note is muted - it's pretty one-dimensional which is fine with me. I suspected this would be my holiday-grounding scent and it is. My whole family loves it too and they're quite finicky. :P

Spicy! Smells exactly like the ginger snaps I'm addicted to! Yum! Captures that slightly hot spiciness of ginger perfectly! I am so damn delicious when where this! "No one should be this delicious!"

I was telling some folks in chat last night that Gingerbread Poppet was toos strong on something. I thought it was molasses but.. more like sage? :P

If I hold the bottle at arms length, I get the gingerbread everyone else is talking about. So, I'm going to try this again less close to my nose.

Famous last words.. "Hon, stick your face down my shirt and tell me what I smell like"

Edited to add: End result was that I ended up liking this one (too late, since I had already agreed to a swap).

pssst.. kimmer is seeking imps

Edited by kimmer

Delicious - the gingersnaps with the crispy edges and chewy middle. Very foody and the blend is just amazing. I am so glad I went out and bought it sight unsmelled - absolutely scrumptious and I want to gnaw on my own arm.

The waft is very nice as well and I could still smell a bit of it this morning after applying it last night.

Very gingerbready without being too sweet. A lot of gingerbread scents are very candy-like and therefore smell artificial, but this is pure gingerbread candy. For days you want to smell warm and snuggly, this is a good choice.

Also, I did ritual the day I wore this. The ritual involved scattering cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. The combination of the scents those spices left on my hands plus Gingerbread Poppet was edibly divine!

If I hold the bottle at arms length, I get the gingerbread everyone else is talking about.  So, I'm going to try this again less close to my nose. 

I had a similar experience with this one. If I hold my wrist a foot away from my nose (or sniff out of the bottle), it's lovely fresh-baked gingerbread. If I put my wrist up to my nose, it's Three Witches Lite - though not a bad smell, not nearly as nice as the gingerbread version.

Either way, there's something that catches in the back of my throat with this scent that makes me feel a bit ill. I *wanted* to love it, and I almost did, but...

It's heading off to a new home where hopefully it will be appreciated :P.

Gingerbread Poppet also reminds me of Gluttony in the bottle. Yummy, spicy goodness.

Wet on the skin the spicyness comes out even more. A very warm scent - mostly cinnamon, but I can smell the ginger and nutmeg in the background.l And I also get that spicy skin tingle. I feel like cookies are baking on my wrist! :P

As it fades, it still reminds me of gluttony, but without the caramel notes, and not as strong. Gluttony kind of bashes you over the head, but Gingerbread Poppet sits down next to you, wraps its arms around you and smells fabulous. I am so happy I ordered this one! Definitely a keeper.

In the bottle: Wow, essence of gingerbread. :D Actually a bit sweeter than I expected, based on the reviews.

On me/drydown: Doesn't appear to change too much. The initial biting sweetness goes away, and I can clearly catch the spice notes. Ah, I'm beginning to also feel the little sting of cinnamon. I haven't waited long enough to see if it lasts or not, I was so excited to review it!

This one is excellent! I'm wearing this for my five hour plane flight tomorrow -- my fellow passengers should be delighted. :P