Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Gingerbread Poppet

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

This is incredible. In the bottle it's all warm spicy fresh from the oven gingerbread. It stays pretty much the same on my skin except that it smooths out a bit and smells like the kitchen does right when you've finished baking the gingerbread and the oven door is cracked open a bit to cool. It made me hungry and I so wanted gingerbread! But I was a good girl. Gingerbread is definitely not on my diet. Unfortunately though this doesn't last long. I had to apply it twice in about a three hour time frame and within 30 minutes or so I could only smell it if I had my nose right up to my wrist.

Initial Impression: gingersnaps and cinnamon (maybe I need to age this a bit?)

On Wet: cinnamon with gingersnap undertone (I amp cinnamon)

On Dry: after a strange wood shavings phase, the cinnamon behaves itself and sinks quietly into the background so I can smell more gingery goodness

Final Impression: I really love the spiciness from this but the cinnamon is a bit strong in the beginning (unlike what I got from my friend's bottle). I think I need to age this a bit and hope it mellows out.

Rating (on a scale from 1-5): 4

For this one, I don't feel I need to seperate my review into wet, drying and dry.

This is pure liquid gingerbread, fresh, dark, rich, moist, and heavenly.

Absolutely brilliant. Comforting and delicious. Warm and soothing.

I love it.

Gingerbread Poppet 2005

Bottle: Very sweet and very strong liquid gingerbread!

On Me: Apparently, I don't play well with the foody scents. I find them way too overwhelming and way too sweet for me. Again, the spices weren't enough to balance out the sweet food scent of this blend. I feel like someone lit one of those holiday candles and then dumped the wax on me.

i have high hopes riding on this puppy, let's see how it goes...

in the bottle: oh. my. goddess! straight up gingerbread, no holds barred! :P

wet on skin: more of the same. really *just* like warm, moist gingerbread from the oven. :D

dry down: the ginger comes out to the front a tiny bit- man, this is SO delicious :D

in all: don't distract me, i'm trying to gnaw my arm off

:)

Oh my gosh. This smells so lovely!

I agree with those who said it is more gingersnaps than gingerbread, but whatever, it's very edible smelling. It does smell *slightly* like a cinnamon candle on drydown, but not in a way that overpowers the delicious gingeryness :P

My husband sniffed this in the bottle and his eyes got wide. He said, "WOW that smells lke honest to God gingerbread."

Yeah this is very very nice. I think it will be even better aged. I'm looking forward to wearing this no matter what the season. I'm really glad I lucked into a bottle!

Edited by Persephanise

:D This is heavenly.

True, it's not much more than the best damn gingerbread in world, but does anyone really need anything more than that? It starts of strong, spicy, sweet and eventually the sweetness gives way to a subtle dry spice.

I wish it would last longer - the above progression took little more than an hour - but I've no regrets with this impulse purchase! :P

Bottle: gingerbread cookies

Wet: wonderful cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, ginger cookie

Dry: straightforward continues the gingerbread theme

I am amazed at how Beth has captured the cookie aspect of this scent. It smells like the cookie, not just the spices, the actual baked part of the cookie, this is a great holiday scent!

Bottle: Pure gingerbread cookies...it reminds me of my granmother's gingersnaps. The spice helps add a cpmplexity to it

Wet: It smells hot, the cinammon cuts through alot, mixed in the the ginger its kinda nice

Dry: Someone's baking..thats all I can think. The cinammon stays pretty strong with the ginger...I don't really get a sense of the nutmeg and the clove..yet but maybe they will play later

Overall: I give this a 3.5/5. I like it, its not one that I would wear often since I would probably get hungry and its not too complex. However, its still a keeper! Oh and it has decent throw. I put a lil on the inside of my elbow and I can smell it wafting around

ETA: Its been about 6 hrs and I have to say GP kinda rocks, its dried down to this sweet/not too sweet/enticing smell that is delish. Every so often it wafts up and I'm like what smells soo good. Yummy

Edited by Wildchild453

Ahhh, so I had tried the original Gingerbread Poppet, and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was very sought after, so I never invested much energy into finding a bottle of it. The '07 version though, seems to have that much more 'kick' to it, and it so full of gingery yumminess that I have intense cravings for gingerbread cookies whenever I break this open. The other spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg...) play in with it a bit, but the ginger takes a front seat the whole time, which it perfectly OK with me... :P This one is one to stock up on!

wet, it smells like ramen noodles right out of the package. After dry it smells like cinnamon. Doesn't last very long.

Wet: Exactly like gingerbread right out of the oven. Nice gingery throw. Amazing.

Dry down: Not quite as strong, but exactly the same scent. Maintains good throw - keeps wafting by my nose, pleasantly surprising me.

This doesn't seem to morph at all on me. I say again - Amazing!

I like it very much, which is odd because I'm not usually excited about smelling like food.

Maybe a little more like gingersnaps after dry down, but who's quibbling? Sweet baked ginger spicily edible goodness! Homey. Comforting. But still spicy. All the best things about gingerbread. :P

:D Beth, how did you do this?

Edited by celtimor

This is a review of the 2007 version.

In the bottle: Exactly like gingerbread! Amazing.

On me: Too spicy for me though. Ginger is the only spice that actually works on my skin (and as a fresh not, not a spicy one); the clove, nutmeg and cinnamon in this are too much. Very strong throw and lasting power. The foodiness calms down enough for me, but I just don't like spice. Ah well!

(2007 version)

Wet: You know immediately that your grandmother really went to some trouble to bake this gingerbread -- fresh spices, including real, honest-to-gosh ginger, which is the first and most prominent note on me. I get cinnamon somewhere among all of the lovely spice, but not enough to irritate my skin.

Drydown: Penetrating throw. I could wish the wearlength was longer, but for hair or locket use, it probably lasts forever. I've not compared either version of Shub, but really Gingerbread Poppet is in its own class: foody, tempting, but not cloying. When I need some ginger in my day, I will absolutely reach for this -- but I fear that layering this with El Dia de Reyes could land me in the emergency room with my own teeth firmly embedded in my arm!

Initial impression:

Mm, literally liquid gingerbread. I'm getting hungry!

First on:

Still a lush, perfect gingerbread. Delicious, it is.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it smells more like wine – or mulled wine, for that matter – than gingerbread to me.

An hour after application, it's a soft gingerbread scent – mild and soothing.

Finally:

Totally a keeper. :P Glorious scent.

In the bottle: strong gingerbread, almost overwhelming

wet- still strong . Afraid it will make me sick

dry- mellows and sweetens without being cloying. Smells like gingerbread cookies, not bready and not like ginger snaps. Softer and creamier.

hours later- still lingering and softer. This one I like.

A while back I posted about how I was running low on Gingerbread Poppet 2005 and needed to buy more and was debating whether I should buy Gingerbread Poppit 2007 ~ it can be read here: Gingerbread Poppet debate

If you don't read it, the gist of it is that I had gotten an imp of 2007 and being She-who-lack-self-control, ended up buying a bottle by the end of the post...*sigh*

It is definitly different than 2005. I compared the remainder of the 2005 bottle to the decanted imp of 2007, and they are really similar, the imp is just a wee bit spicier. I then compared my 2005 bottle to Gingerbread Poppet 2007, it is so vastly different! The spices in the 2007 blend are just overwhelming! I have the feeling who ever decanted the imp I got might have mixed the two blends together, or maybe had a sweet vanilla-y scent in the imp and didn't clean it properly...not sure what happened there, but sadly, 2007 just doesn't want to work for me.

In the bottle: Smells like ground, dried ginger and pretty much a vanilla sweetened version of Garam Marsala...2005's spices had more of a pumpkin pie spice and creamy-ness; 2007 *in my opinion* smells like someone attempted to bake some cookies with a dash of Garam Marsala, just too spicey and not quite right for gingerbread.

On my skin: Still has the Garam Marsala-esque aroma, it has sweetened up somewhat, but my skin has also amped up the scent of nutmeg and clove. The doughy-ness in the blend also seems to develop more to a strong Play-doh *for lack of a better description* smell. Its the same problem I had with Sugar Cookie.

In the end, I can vividly imagine a tray covered in colorful cookies made up of Play-doh and Garam Marsala spices, that is a treat I definitly can pass up. I'll go curl up into a ball and weep over wanting to wear my bottle of 2005 but not wanting it to run out...there's actually more than an imp-and-a-half's amount of oil left in there, but STILL!!! *weeps*

I'm gonna put my bottle of Gingerbread Poppit 2007 up on FeeBay; however, if anyone happens to have a bottle of 2005, I would definitly be interested in swapping!

Edited by oddly

My GP 07 makes me smell like I have cinnamen buns hidden somewhere on my person. :P

It's staying quite well, and definatly morphed from the wet smell of gingerbread into a cinnamen bun drydown. I really like this a lot better than some of the prior years. It seems to work a lot better for me!

2007 Version

In the bottle –Does exactly what it says on the tin, rich gingerbread with just a hint of nutmeg :P

Wet on me – A slightly harsh clove/cinnamon takes over but you can just about smell the creamy bakery goodness in the background

Dry on me – There is a short period of the ashiness that my skin tends to do with creamy blends, but it eventually dries down to a soft creamy biscuity gingerbread

Overall – I like the dry down and the slight ashy period is brief enough to be bearable

It's not -exactly- what I thought it would be (which was more along the lines of Villainess's Gingersnapped), but it is the perfect holiday scent for me. It's more spicy and less foody than I had expected, but I still had people sniffing me all of December!

My bottle is from 2005, so it is a little aged. Age has only deepened the total yum of this scent. It smells just like gingerbread, burnt a little crisp around some of the edges. It is spicy sweet, like a cup of chai. A beautiful cold weather scent, that smells like warmth and goodness around a crackling fire. :P

Oh my god, my 2004 bottle has finally aged into something wonderful. It's deepened and softened into a lovely, rich gingerbread snap.

In the beginning it was a sharp, curried rice. But now, it has grown into itself and is beautiful. I'm glad I've hoarded 3 extra bottles! :P

It's a a cozy, spicy scent that is very comforting. Someone had mentioned that it's like you're wrapped in a warm, thick blanket and I'm inclined to agree!

I love it! I hope it shows up again this Christmas! So the lesson is, if you don't like it fresh, please put it aside to age--you'll be glad you did!

Initial thoughts: Gingerbread men. YUM.

In the bottle: Overspiced gingerbread men. YUM.

On the wrist wet: Gingerbread men heavy on the nutmeg. YUM.

Twenty minutes later: Ditto the above, only not so pungent. YUM.

In short - my skin eats cinnamon and clove, so unfortunately this is a bit nutmeg and not much else on my skin... but it's warm and tasty and YUM.

That is all.

Verdict: Keeper.

Tl;Dr: YUM

Some kind forumite sent me a tester of Gingerbread Poppet '04

:P

Wet: The whole room smells like baking (it is a small room) gingerbread cookies, the kind with lots of spices not the overly sweet kind.

Drydown: It fades away to sweetened clove in about 2.5 hours. My skin eats scent and they always fade quickly on me.

In the later stages it smells kind of spicy-sexy and enticing, less like baking.

This is an amazing, delicous scent and I will look for more of it.

Update: Gingerbread Poppet '07 is different! On me it started off very similar but as it dried there was a smokey scent added to the Gingerbread, exactly as if some of the gingerbread had burned at the edges. I kept catching whiffs of something burning. I really enjoyed it especially as I was one pissed-off little poppet that day and the gingery burnt scent matched my mood perfectly.

Edited by Myrrha

(Just a quick sniff)

Fresh gingerbread! Shocking. This is definitely a warm, moist gingerbread, not, say, a gingersnap. Yummy.

Edited by Emera