Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
summer

Good scents for travelling, vacations

I am going to Europe next week, and I can't decide which fragrances I want to take -- that is, which scents will be a good "fit" for travel through those particular parts of Europe? Which ones will compliment the landscapes and the cultures? Which ones are versitile enough for two weeks of travel? Which ones fit with the vibe of travel generally? And, most importantly, which ones do I want to associate with two wonderful, adventurous weeks?

What are your thoughts?

Which scents do you own?

Yes, please--before I get fired for halting work altogether to create a giant spreadsheet cross-referencing all the oils by culture, which is what my obsessive data-management brain wants to do! :P

Oooh sorry! I have:

Venus

Libra

Mercury

Sol

Luna

The Star

Snake Oil

Spellbound

Persephone

Twilight

Dragon's Milk

Imp

Maiden

Alice

The Caterpillar

Black Lotus

Regan

Glitter

Wanda

Phantasm

Delerium

Viola

Red Devil

Laudanum

Bewitched

Old Shanghai

Hemlock

Van Van

Queen of Sheba

Burial

Old Morocco

Venom

Old Sybarus

The Hesperides

Jolly Roger

Oberon

Three Witches

Pain

Succubus

Namaste

Hymn

Carnivale

Mimosa

Endymion

:D

Edited to add -- and before I go, I'll likely also have Bliss, O, Dana O'Shee, Tears, Water of Notre Dame, and Le Serpent Qui Danse.

Thanks so much!

(Egads! Looking at it all typed up like that makes me realize how many I actually have! :P :D )

Edited by summer

In addition to Libra and Venus:

Dragon's Milk

Hymn

Imp

Old Shanghai

Pain

Snake Oil

The Star

Wanda

Water of Notre Dame

Quite a few calming and refreshing scents in there as Europe can be unpleasantly humid in August.

Have a great time.

Don't apologize--I feel like a big doofus because I didn't see your sub-header and I thought you were asking about all of Europe! (I still may do that cross-referencing spreadsheet eventually though...)

Of the ones you have, I would think Jolly Roger, Mercury and Viola would be generally evocative of a wandering adventuresome spirit, Laudanum, Le Serpent qui Danse, O and Wanda would be generally evocative of European literary decadance, and Hymn and Water of Notre Dame would be particularly nice for looking at cathedrals.

Damn Summer! That is a sh*tload of scents! I am in awe. I've only got 21!

Definitely take Libra as you may need a scent that you feel comfortable in... travelling could be very stressful at times. Pain is probably good in France - all that lavendar and refreshing mint. And Endymion is great as an all around scent (for me anyway).

Have fun!

Hey, this brings up a good question. What's the best way to transport an assload of imps? I'm flying to Texas in August and want to take them all, but can't figure out a good way to get them there. Carry on I would guess - will they leak?

And for the Europe question, definitely Snake Oil. I think and woman going to Europe (okay, pretty much anywhere) should take Snake Oil with her. Plus, I think they're less "fragrance free" there, so you can probably get away with heavier smells if you want. I haven't smelled most of your scents, so I don't know what would be good.

You need some bright energetic scents for shopping, something soft and sweet for garden walking, something grown up and sophisticated, slightly dry for museum touring. :P

I say take them all!  You never know what situation you will find yourself in!  :D

:P A lady after my own heart. If space allows I would agree.

What great suggestions! LOL, I love the idea of just taking them ALL. :P

Actually, I think I may go the opposite end of the spectrum and only take ONE. One oil, just one, to be the scent that represents my travels. That way whenever I smell it thereafter I will think of the trip! I'm thinking of choosing one that I'm not already really familiar with (Snake Oil, Venus, and Libra are my current staples). Or maybe I'll take one staple (like Libra) and one "new" oil that I can get to know on the trip?

I'd take a staple or two that are different--say two with distinctly different notes if possible, and a new scent that you've tried once or twice but you know works well on you. :P

I would choose a light scent and a warmer/heavier scent. For example, when I go to London next week, i will take with me snake oil and unseelie. But this choice is more based on versatility then on association.

I do know that the perfect way to take two imps with you is to put them in a matchbox. They will fit in nice and snuggly with little chance of being bashed around.

I hope you have a lovely time in our little country (Netherlands)!!!

It's a bit of a broad topic but...what scents would be good for travelling? What would be perfect for exploring a new country?

I realize there are palce scents which might fit individual palces, but if you're travelling around?

When I went to Europe (backpacking) last summer, I had to be frugal - it's not like I could carry my entire collection with me since weight's a huge issue (but damned if I wasn't going to smell good!)

I chose six imps, and put them in a film canister. My selection went as follows:

Three day-wear, all-purpose

- one floral (bayou)

- one foody (dorian)

- one fruity (thalia)

Two evening-wear, all purpose

- one musky (sin)

- one "seductive" (kali)

One frivolous I-couldn't-leave-it-at-home

- Spooky 2004

Diversity is key. :D

This summer, I'm going to Vegas - but there's a meet and sniff at the con I'm going to, so a fair chunk of my collection plus frimps for friends will be travelling with me. In short - if you really can't decide, pick out your favourites and get a big carrying case. :P

When I went to Europe (backpacking) last summer, I had to be frugal - it's not like I could carry my entire collection with me since weight's a huge issue (but damned if I wasn't going to smell good!)

I chose six imps, and put them in a film canister. My selection went as follows:

Three day-wear, all-purpose

- one floral (bayou)

- one foody (dorian)

- one fruity (thalia)

Two evening-wear, all purpose

- one musky (sin)

- one "seductive" (kali)

One frivolous I-couldn't-leave-it-at-home

- Spooky 2004

Diversity is key. :D

This summer, I'm going to Vegas - but there's a meet and sniff at the con I'm going to, so a fair chunk of my collection plus frimps for friends will be travelling with me. In short - if you really can't decide, pick out your favourites and get a big carrying case. :P

Oooh I hadn't thought of putting them in a film canister! I'm sort of a newbie so I randomly chose some. I'm hoping I like them....but I was really put this up to see what other people bring along so I could put in another order. I just want something that'll fit the adventurous mood I'll be in. But you're right, I'll probably want diversity.

Thanks!

I took quite a lot of bottles with me to Spain last year but what was especially lovely was The Star for the actual travelling. Helped me feel calm and fresh.

Well, if you`re travelling far, Safari (in Panacea) would help cure the jetlag :P

Lol, you're right, that;s perfect! I always buy imps so I've never actually looked under Panacea. Wow.

I took quite a lot of bottles with me to Spain last year but what was especially lovely was The Star for the actual travelling. Helped me feel calm and fresh.

And another one I haven't looked at because of my bias towards imps. I'm really going to have to break out of my shell!

Clam and fresh would be perfect.

Thanks for the thought!

Clam and fresh would be perfect.

:D

:P One of these days I'll learn to proofread....but hey, at least I provide amusement!

I'm in for a weekend of intensive traveling. I don't have the obvious - Safari - on hand. What else might work? I do have a few imps that have lavender in them. I've heard that geranium and mint are good for travel. Any other components you'd recommend? Particular BPAL oils?

I thought I'd get some recs from you guys by now, but maybe I didn't give you enough info .... Anyway, I decided to go with Lionheart, Road Opener and Snow Bunny.

I did a search... but couldn't find anything on bpal + traveling on an airplane, I'm thinking I might have seen a thread on it but can't be sure...

anyhoo, i'll be going to Oahu next monday and wanted recommendations on scents to bring and how to go about packing them (carry-on or check in ?)

I did a search... but couldn't find anything on bpal + traveling on an airplane, I'm thinking I might have seen a thread on it but can't be sure...

anyhoo, i'll be going to Oahu next monday and wanted recommendations on scents to bring and how to go about packing them (carry-on or check in ?)

Shelly, there's a thread in the FAQs section about it. Don't remember the title, but it's got a ton of stuff on traveling with your oils. To recap it in essence, carry-on is perfectly safe, but seal the bottles and put them in a plastic bag for the TSA's sake (I'm assuming you're American).